Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

hatty posted:

So does Mega Man, further proving that Crash would be a Mega Man echo fighter

Next you'll say it comes from from Crash Man or some poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I think Kunio-kun belongs to Arcsys right now and I could imagine them playing ball. However, Kunio-kun was a post-release spirit event which casts a shadow over his odds.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
"All Crash does is spin lol" is the poo poo take of people that havent played his games. Theres plenty they could draw on for a moveset. Bazooka as mentioned, up B could be a jetpack, hes got a belly flop, motorbike, etc.

That's just off the top of my head original trilogy stuff. Theres also plenty of terrible games where he probably gets more tricks

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Sudden Javelin posted:

Theres also plenty of terrible games

for instance: every crash game

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Sudden Javelin posted:

"All Crash does is spin lol" is the poo poo take of people that havent played his games.

Even if this were the case, they already put the Ice Climbers in the game.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Waluigi should get in with a Chairman Spike outfit from Wrecking Crew, IMO

Builder Mario and biker Wario and Chairman Waluigi can all have helmets then

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Sudden Javelin posted:

"All Crash does is spin lol" is the poo poo take of people that havent played his games. Theres plenty they could draw on for a moveset. Bazooka as mentioned, up B could be a jetpack, hes got a belly flop, motorbike, etc.

That's just off the top of my head original trilogy stuff. Theres also plenty of terrible games where he probably gets more tricks

There is already a non Nintendo orange bear in the game

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

This is partially why if they wanted an early Playstation icon, Spyro would be the better choice. There's more to work with in regards to movesets. The issue I got with Spyro though is that he's kinda unpopular in Japan, where apparently his first game received a bunch of awful changes and made the game less fun, so I'm not sure if the Japanese audience would go for him.

Crash though has the star power and would be generally well loved by both Japan and western audiences.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Lux Animus posted:

Yes.

Also, rumor has is that Byleth (with her 'giant' weapons) was originally going to be the MonHun fighter, but those plans got scrapped in favor of more Fire Emblem reps, likely due to MonHun team only wanting Rathalos.

This never struck me as all that plausible since Byleth was obviously penciled in when the game first materialized, while that implies he'd be a last minute switch. Reads like someone just making a big assumption since MonHun happens to have bow, lance and axe weapons...but they also have a ton of others, too.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Zuzie posted:

This is partially why if they wanted an early Playstation icon, Spyro would be the better choice. There's more to work with in regards to movesets. The issue I got with Spyro though is that he's kinda unpopular in Japan, where apparently his first game received a bunch of awful changes and made the game less fun, so I'm not sure if the Japanese audience would go for him.

Huh, I wonder what that's about

quote:

Spyro is overall far slower, his walking speed receiving a notable decrease, and his charge velocity being roughly on par with his walking speed in international releases.

why

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Sudden Javelin posted:

Ohh, so Crash would be a Wario echo fighter. Got it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Procrastine posted:

why

They also had tutorial boards that would activate when you breathed fire on them and a fixed camera.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Procrastine posted:

why

lmao what the hell

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

3d platformers weren't as popular in Japan so the Japanese publishers were worried that japanese kids wouldn't be able to handle Spyro's speed. Plus they marketed the game to even younger kids than the US version. The US version was aimed at kids like 10-12, the JP version was aimed at like, 6 year olds. If you look at the Japanese boxart he basically has reverse Kirby syndrome, where the boxart is made way cuter.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Snake and Cloud do a better job of repping Sony than Crash possibly can. Would rather Tony Hawk

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

also they changed his name to Ripto

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

This never struck me as all that plausible since Byleth was obviously penciled in when the game first materialized, while that implies he'd be a last minute switch. Reads like someone just making a big assumption since MonHun happens to have bow, lance and axe weapons...but they also have a ton of others, too.

Former GameInformer Editor Imran Kahn, whose had a pretty solid track record when it comes to Smash Bros. insider poo poo on ResetEra did note that a scrapped fighter whose negotiations fell through had parts of their moveset repurposed into Byleth (who also was originally intended to be in the base roster before being dropped to finish other characters for release). He won't say who it was, but it's lead to further speculation. It's also not just the weapons, but Byleth's recovery works similair to the claw in MonHun World as well.

It does make sense, since the MonHun music internally has it's own unused franchise designation, despite being in the Other section, and it's 2 tracks placement in the song ordering puts it between other series with fighters, between Metal Gear and Animal Crossing, instead of where other franchises that only have stages or are in the Other playlist go. There's also a skipped fighter ID, with a dummied out Victory Theme file as well. So we know there is one in development fighter who was scrapped in Ultimate's development, and there is evidence the MonHun franchise was going to be implemented differently before just being Rathalos boss and trophy.

In the end, you are right that it's still assumptions, but it's much less a blind leap that "feels like it makes sense". In all honesty, the development of Smash Bros. has always interested me so much, I really wish it was possible to get a "The Final Hours" type deep dive of development and behind the scenes shifts, so we could indeed find out more about this kind of stuff.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Reiley posted:

I think Kunio-kun belongs to Arcsys right now and I could imagine them playing ball. However, Kunio-kun was a post-release spirit event which casts a shadow over his odds.

Kunio was my number one pick for both passes and I was gutted when the spirit event came out. And yes, ArcSys owns all the Technōs IPs now.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I know it was on N64 rather than PSX but Mario 64 was insanely popular and way more complicated of a platformer than Spyro. Assuming Japanese kids wouldn't be able to handle it is insane. What the hell, Universal.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Endorph posted:

3d platformers weren't as popular in Japan so the Japanese publishers were worried that japanese kids wouldn't be able to handle Spyro's speed

I mean, I believe you, but that seems ridiculous to me because Super Mario 64 had already been out for 2 years at that point--was Mario 64 also not that popular in Japan?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Xad posted:

I mean, I believe you, but that seems ridiculous to me because Super Mario 64 had already been out for 2 years at that point--was Mario 64 also not that popular in Japan?
i mean, kinda? the n64 only sold 5 million units in japan compared to the 20 million it sold in north america. mario 64 was obviously a successful, popular game but the fact is that not nearly as many Japanese kids had an N64 to play it on to begin with. for comparison, more people in japan had a saturn than an n64.

this is also why the n64 had basically no third party japanese support.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 23, 2021

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

oddium posted:

also they changed his name to Ripto

I stared at the logo for about a minute in confusion and realized it somehow reads both Spyro and Ripto at the same time.
スパイロ (supairo)
R I P T O

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Japanese Spyro is insanely cute and blessed.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

sigher posted:

Japanese Spyro is insanely cute and blessed.

Counterpoint: reducing run speed in a 3D platformer is violence

E: there's a reason why you unlock Luigi mode (faster run speed but slippery shoes) in Mario Galaxy after you've beaten the game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Reiley posted:

I believe in my boy.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Just Andi Now posted:

I stared at the logo for about a minute in confusion and realized it somehow reads both Spyro and Ripto at the same time.
スパイロ (supairo)
R I P T O

Yeah that is where the name Ripto came from, the English staff for the game saw the Japanese logo and read it as Ripto and thought it was a cool name.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

hatty posted:

Snake and Cloud do a better job of repping Sony than Crash possibly can. Would rather Tony Hawk

Only if its modern day, over the hill Hawk. They can put in a Snake codec call where he goes "That guy looks really familiar, like a skateboarder that was big in the 90s"

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Leal posted:

Only if its modern day, over the hill Hawk. They can put in a Snake codec call where he goes "That guy looks really familiar, like a skateboarder that was big in the 90s"

“I wonder what he’s up to nowadays...”

“This.”

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I can't remember which game it was, but I remember Arlo talking about some Switch game and noted how the voice acting clearly didn't have context for its lines, because there's one conversation between the characters where one of them says "Nothing has changed as a result of this journey" and the other one replies "You did!" with emphasis on "did" rather than "you." This makes the line sound really confusing and awkward as a response since with "did" stressed it doesn't make sense as a reply. It's just something that's always stuck with me as a perfect example of how difficult it is to voice act properly when you don't know what the line is supposed to mean.

Spectral Debt
Jan 23, 2004
9999 sucka
I love Byleth. Can’t win alot since shes slow and online doesn’t help but those range smash attacks are so much fun.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

hatty posted:

Crash would be kinda lame tbh. The guy just spins and slides and we already have Mega Man

Wrong. You're forgetting about our other two spinning characters, Ryu and Donkey Kong.

Which makes Crash and Crunch perfect to be Echo Fighters of the two of them.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

You can give Crash Ryu sideb, Incineroar or Metaknight neutral b, DK upb, Luigi downb and make his specials entirely out of existing moves.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Spectral Debt posted:

I love Byleth. Can’t win alot since shes slow and online doesn’t help but those range smash attacks are so much fun.

Once you learn Byleth's timing for hitting fair or bair on short characters out of short hop, Byleth is very thoroughly decent.

Fighting shorties is still suffering, though.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

Yeah, I remember when the first Dissidia game came out, people criticized it for its bad voice work, and Kuja's English VA responded that the English cast had no direction beyond, "Listen to the Japanese version of the lines and try to match that as close as you can." :effort:

these are million dollar projects

why do they not give a poo poo so hard

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Cause they save possibly hundreds by not doing a powwow with the VAs

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

these are million dollar projects

why do they not give a poo poo so hard

Part of it is capitalism but another big part of it is that many Japanese studios still think of the overseas market as completely superfluous even though it brings in most of their profits.

Then you factor in weird poo poo like people who don't speak english trying to direct english voice acting to what "sounds cool" to them (which is why Other M has the worst voice acting of all time).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Lux Animus posted:

Counterpoint: reducing run speed in a 3D platformer is violence

E: there's a reason why you unlock Luigi mode (faster run speed but slippery shoes) in Mario Galaxy after you've beaten the game.

And they increased the run speeds by 30% in SM3DW Switch apparently. I do remember the original being a chore to play.

I do wonder how the Reignited trilogy went over in Japan, though I'm guessing it wouldn't have as much nostalgia to play off.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

The reason I don't want Crash Bandicoot in Smash is because he's ugly.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Reiley posted:

You can give Crash Ryu sideb, Incineroar or Metaknight neutral b, DK upb, Luigi downb and make his specials entirely out of existing moves.

That's literally Sonic spinning at a different axis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Alxprit posted:

The reason I don't want Crash Bandicoot in Smash is because he's ugly.

This but Rayman

Good lord every character from those games is trash