Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Captain's Log, Stardate 43125.8. We have entered a new subforum in the SomethingAwful forums on a most critical mission of astronomical research. Our eminent guests will attempt to study the simulation technology of a primitive species that hasn't yet left their gravity well in any considerable fashion. We will accomplish this by playing as many of their space games as possible.

PYF space games in this thread!

For me, I'm currently having a blast with Mars Horizon: https://store.steampowered.com/app/765810/Mars_Horizon/. Mars Horizon is a management simulator where you control one of Earth's premier space agencies at the beginning of the Space Race, with the goal of being the first to colonize Mars. It's quite fun and surprisingly difficult. I recommend everyone give it a try if they like similar management type games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Anyone remember that piece of poo poo game Outpost?

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Mine is definitely Kerbal Space Program. Nothing feels better than that first time you get a rocket into stable orbit. And then you work and work until you land one on the Moon. Next thing you know you are building a badass space station around Kerbal.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Even after 22 years, no one has ever topped Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. (It's like Civ, but caters to a slightly different flavor of nerd.)

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

X Wing v TIE Fighter, and Starfox 64. Everything else cheapens the melancholy.

Though if I was independently wealthy I could have bad-with-money level fun with Elite Dangerous.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Lawman 0 posted:

i remember playing it a long long time ago and it took me forever to figure out 'digging' mechanics and your poor outpost didn't last long on the surface. So many doomed attempts at colonization.

speaking of being doomed, ive always had a softspot for being punished by FTL, one of the meanest rngs ive dealt with, probably right up there with xcom.

Fluffdaddy posted:

Mine is definitely Kerbal Space Program. Nothing feels better than that first time you get a rocket into stable orbit. And then you work and work until you land one on the Moon. Next thing you know you are building a badass space station around Kerbal.

I thought KSP had one of the better paced sandbox games, you just naturally keep building bigger and bigger things with bigger and bigger goals, although i'm sure it really appeals to certain types of people more than others.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Fluffdaddy posted:

I love Kerbal so much even though the most I've ever been able to do is reach Mun and return to Kerbal most of the time. Every once in awhile I'll watch a space movie like The Martian or Interstellar and that fuels a 2-3 day binge in which I'll do the same thing all over again :3:

My only hope is the sequel they're working on is actually good and not just a cash grab/annual monetization type deal.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
The top game is Kerbal, but there is a new game called Dyson Sphere Program where you factory your way up to building a Dyson Sphere.

Flying planet to planet, gathering resources, setting up solar power on a tidally-locked planet, checking out blackholes. It's fantastic and fun.

Games thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3956868

Einarr Saltyman
Oct 4, 2020

Eve Echoes, mobile version of Eve Online

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I've been replaying Escape Velocity - Nova from Ambrosia software

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_Velocity_Nova

It has a weird storyline(s) but is a fun space trading/pirate fighting/ship upgrading type game if you like that kind of thing, there are lots of mods available as well.

Endless sky is a modern game with very similar features which I haven't played. :(

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Athanatos posted:

The top game is Kerbal, but there is a new game called Dyson Sphere Program where you factory your way up to building a Dyson Sphere.

Flying planet to planet, gathering resources, setting up solar power on a tidally-locked planet, checking out blackholes. It's fantastic and fun.

Games thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3956868

I really need to try that but someone got me hooked onto Factorio recently sooooo, welp.

Can anyone recommend a good game that has a similar vibe/feel to The Expanse? I bought Rebel Galaxy Outlaw and was greatly disappointed by how bland it was.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

My first space game, aside from Gyruss (lol) was Star Raiders for the Atari 800. poo poo owned.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

yaffle posted:

It has a weird storyline(s) but is a fun space trading/pirate fighting/ship upgrading type game if you like that kind of thing, there are lots of mods available as well.

Endless sky is a modern game with very similar features which I haven't played. :(

Escape Velocity and it's sequels are among my favorite games of all times.

Have you tried the plugins for EV:N that convert it to EV or EV:O? I recommend them as well.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Handsome Ralph posted:

I really need to try that but someone got me hooked onto Factorio recently sooooo, welp.

It's factorio...in SPACE. Drop the greys of factorio and get with the program.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Can anyone recommend a good game that has a similar vibe/feel to The Expanse? I bought Rebel Galaxy Outlaw and was greatly disappointed by how bland it was.

Elite Dangerous. You can be a small time belter miner and some jerk Earther comes along and frags your ship.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Do Not Fear Jazz posted:

Escape Velocity and it's sequels are among my favorite games of all times.

Have you tried the plugins for EV:N that convert it to EV or EV:O? I recommend them as well.

Not yet, although I played them obsessively when they first came out, gently caress you Captain Hector.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Powered Descent posted:

Even after 22 years, no one has ever topped Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. (It's like Civ, but caters to a slightly different flavor of nerd.)

:yeah:

First civ, where the leaders had real personalities. Miriam was a judgmental rear end in a top hat, and I always eliminated her first.

The quotes were really good too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aUcvswVJ58
"It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people." - Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
i am a fan of Spore, a 2008 video game from Maxis.

okay but actually I love Outer Wilds, an extremely awesome space game

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Guest2553 posted:

X Wing v TIE Fighter

I never liked X-Wing v. TIE Fighter as much, but I played the poo poo out of TIE Fighter and its expansions. It used to occasionally crash our dainty little PC by trying to use so much memory that QEMM couldn't keep up, and I played it so much I learned to look away from the screen when the crashes were most likely to happen.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
For old games X-Wing and Tie Fighter. And Descent: Freespace.

Currently, yeah Elite Dangerous is spiffy and also Outer Wilds. I accidentally played most of Outer Worlds thinking it was Outer Wilds but there is absolutely no user controlled space flight in Worlds.

Games in my queue I'll catch up with eventually are XCOM: Enemy Unknown and Alien: Isolation. And finishing Prey which may be a space game.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

yaffle posted:

Not yet, although I played them obsessively when they first came out, gently caress you Captain Hector.

Likewise, gently caress Captain Hector, gently caress Krestels, and gently caress Confeds til I die.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Jen X posted:

i am a fan of Spore, a 2008 video game from Maxis.

okay but actually I love Outer Wilds, an extremely awesome space game

My kids both played Spore for hours and hours, I should re-install it somewhere for them. They found the logistics of the space game a little hard to manage. They much preferred making velociraptors and wiping out the neighboring tribes, the problem was that the game would re-use your our creatures as NPC's in later games so they would often be eaten by the appalling things they had made earlier.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I like Starsector but I haven't played it in a while. It's still in early access but it's pretty complete feature wise and there's supposed to be a big new patch coming out in the near future

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

yaffle posted:

Escape Velocity: Nova is the only thing that made Quicktime worth installing. EV:N, then Transcendence, then Starsector, space is best enjoyed in 2D

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Fluffdaddy posted:

KSP owns hard and I'm sad that KSP 2 won't be out until 2022

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

qnqnx posted:

space is best enjoyed in 2D

Forum subtitle

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I've been playing a bit of KSP lately since the recent Rover got my excited about space. I've "visited" all the planets with probes and rovers before, but I never do manned missions outside Kerbal's two moons because I hate feeling like I'm dooming them. I always kinda burn out there since once you figure out the basics of building effective rockets, it's not that hard to figure out transfers, descents, etc.

This time I decided I'd actually do a round trip to Duna including landing. I've never felt as accomplished in a game as when I finally docked the lander up with the return rocket and realized that I had enough delta-v to make it back.

A++++ game.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I always get hosed up by eventually having to do orbital rendezvous. I'm so godamned bad at orbital rendezvous.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Honky Dong Country posted:

I always get hosed up by eventually having to do orbital rendezvous. I'm so godamned bad at orbital rendezvous.

So am I.

I had to do 3 practice ones over kerbin, and even then I sorta hosed it up where my lander had to do way way too many orbits to rendezvous with the return stage.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Iron Helix was pretty awesome

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

wilderthanmild posted:

So am I.

I had to do 3 practice ones over kerbin, and even then I sorta hosed it up where my lander had to do way way too many orbits to rendezvous with the return stage.

One of these days I'm gonna cave and start heavily using MechJeb since everybody says it owns.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
if every game takes place on a planet that is in space, does that make every game ever a space game :thunk:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Elite: Dangerous is in many ways a bad video game, I have 850 hours logged so far and have no plans to stop playing.

For all its flaws that 1:1 scale recreation of the galaxy is just a spectacular way to try to grasp the bigness of space.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

I have yet to find a game that captured my imagination as much as Space Rangers 2.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

FBS posted:

Elite: Dangerous is in many ways a bad video game, I have 850 hours logged so far and have no plans to stop playing.

This perfectly encapsulates Elite:Dangerous

I'm 430 hours into it and I can't wait for the new expansion that gives you space legs! There's some really cool stuff out there and jumping out thousands of lightyears from Earth and discovering new solar systems and planets is amazing. I highly recommend it - join up with the goon squadron (Diamond Frogs) and let them guide you through the impressively-convoluted learning curve.

Edit: If Eve Online is best represented by spreadsheets, Elite: Dangerous is best represented by a 1000-page operations manual translated from Russian by the British

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Feb 23, 2021

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Lawman 0 posted:

i remember playing it as a kid and feeling like it wasn't quite all there. i didn't realize until years later that it literally was unfinished. but for some bizarre reason i have this perverse nostalgia about it; it's been so long that i don't trust my memory, but for some reason from what i do remember i feel like it could have been a good game if it had been done right/completed

Fluffdaddy posted:

I remember playing way back in the beta stages, before maneuver nodes, before docking was even a thing (though from some people's perspective I still was a Johnny-come-lately, at least I had symmetry and a Mun to start with!), and I still remember that feeling of utter triumph when I managed to pull off orbital rendezvous. That said, I'm happy to have the interface assist me with maneuver plotting and intercept indicators.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
The Ur-Quan Masters is an open-source remake of the space adventure masterpiece Star Control II. The game was wildly ambitious for the time, and has in my opinion stood the test of time better than any other game of the era.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Dyson Sphere Program is hella cool but it feels a bit short to me. Maybe I'm wrong, though, but right now I'm waiting for more updates.

Outer Wilds is amazing. It was to me what No Man's Sky tried to be but not random and stupid and instead well thought out and great, so very satisfying space exploration.

Edit: this is probably the best space game, though: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2280/Ultimate_Doom/

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Feb 23, 2021

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/6420/Nexus__The_Jupiter_Incident/

I really enjoyed this game, it is interesting!

VKing
Apr 22, 2008

Hard agree, that game is awesome.

My favourite space combat game is Freespace 2, though. With the engine and asset updates that are still being released, it looks like a game from 2019 rather than 1999.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

yaffle posted:

Probably been a year or so since I last picked it up, but if you enjoyed the EV series like I did you'll definitely enjoy Endless Sky like I did.

Especially if you've already been replaying the EV series and having a good time.

Anyway, lately been playing a lot of Hardspace: Shipbreaker which is quite good for Early Access. Your job is to dismantle space ships to pay off the debt you incurred for the privilege of getting the job of dismantling space ships while trying not to get killed by accidental/intentional decompression, runaway reactors, and your own cutting explosives.

Also, some of the space ships are haunted.