Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Turbinosamente posted:

What also sucks is that Live album is before Copacabana so I don't even get that. So is Tryin' To Get The Feeling, the other one I randomly have.

And todays mail woo! Nothing with as good a cover image as Tarkus, but I can't wait to get them cleaned and on the turntable!

Wow, they look pretty awesome actually. Not familiar with any of them though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJrs11fLq14

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I’m really glad I bought all the classic rock records I care about about back in the 2000s from eBay and SA Mart for cheap. All the Zeppelins are club pressings but also when will you ever get 7 Zeppelin titles for $83 plus six other LPs that were of the same vintage? From Canada??

I can’t believe I was still paying for poo poo with money orders in 2006 :pwn:

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

Bloodplay it again posted:

I would bet you have an ultrasonic humidifier and the white is the minerals from the water settling on everything, especially if everything is new and you can easily wipe it off. Turn it down or switch to an evaporative humidifier.

Hey man. That was it!

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Wait, shouldn’t you be using distilled water with a humidifier?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

pwn posted:

Wait, shouldn’t you be using distilled water with a humidifier?

Or use demineralization cartridges and regular cleaning. Distilled water is about 80 cents per gallon, which winds up being quite a bit of money over time, especially if you go through a few gallons per day. Ultrasonic humidifiers are quiet but a pain in the rear end to clean. Evaporative humidifiers (essentially a fan sucking air through a wet wick) are louder but don't leave residue and are way easier to clean. Record sleeves and records themseleves are magnets for airborne minerals for whatever reasons.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

CPL593H posted:

I hope nobody wanted any Daft Punk LPs because they just broke up.

Woah poo poo really? Well I had everything I wanted from them on CD anyways, so eh on the vinyl front. I'm super picky about house music is what this means.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

CPL593H posted:

I hope nobody wanted any Daft Punk LPs because they just broke up.

Most of the main albums are still in print aren’t they? I swear I see Discovery every time I got into Barnes and Noble. It’s not like an MF DOOM situation where his albums are mostly limited club and web store pressings.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I got the homework/discovery/1997 box used fairly cheap sometime back - the box is thrashed, but the individual albums are in good shape, which is fine, they're there to be listened to

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Ballz posted:

Most of the main albums are still in print aren’t they? I swear I see Discovery every time I got into Barnes and Noble. It’s not like an MF DOOM situation where his albums are mostly limited club and web store pressings.

I was trying to hunt down Human After All today and one of the stores I called said Daft Punk was out of print but two other stores had plenty of copies of Homework so I don't know who to believe.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i'll simply wait for the inevitable 25th anniversary rerelease of homework, which would come out (checks notes) oh my god next year how am i this old now

it'll be a quintuple LP on 45rpm 10" records and cost $175. the discogs reviews will mostly be complaints about awful the mastering is

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

abraham linksys posted:

i'll simply wait for the inevitable 25th anniversary rerelease of homework, which would come out (checks notes) oh my god next year how am i this old now

it'll be a quintuple LP on 45rpm 10" records and cost $175. the discogs reviews will mostly be complaints about awful the mastering is

And when Mondo sells out all fifteen copies they pressed within .54 seconds people will be selling them for 800 dollars while everyone falls all over themselves to pay that but also complain about how bad it sucks or the corner ding on the inner sleeve that can only be seen with an electron microscope. A month later they'll reissue a larger pressing and the cycle continues again. Not a single copy ever pressed will ever be listened to.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Kicking myself for not buying Discovery last year for $20.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I'm kicking myself for not lining up to get a copy of the Tron Legacy remix album on RSD last year. I think there were like 2 copies citywide.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cacator posted:

I'm kicking myself for not lining up to get a copy of the Tron Legacy remix album on RSD last year. I think there were like 2 copies citywide.

I pretty sure the band didn't have any input on that and weren't really pleased with it.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

In non-Daft Punk French vinyl news, I posted this the other day over in the Needles & Grooves forum but figured I'd show it off here:

For the past eight months I've been subscribed to a French record club called Wax Buyers Club. Think Vinyl Me, Please but on a much smaller scale. Ed, who runs the club all by himself, has a varied taste in music spanning all sorts of genres and has been cranking out unique pressings every month for the past few years. It's helped me discover some amazing new artists like Ephemerals, Clouds in a Headlock, and The Brooks (which I've plugged here before) and also allowed me to score some great jazz reissues from a French label called Sam Records. Shipping is included in the membership and he also sells a small selection of new releases so I've been able to get some European imports without shipping costing an arm and a leg like with Deluxe's Stachelight and Wax Tailor's newest album.

Anyways, it's a great product that hasn't gotten too big for its britches like VMP. The currency conversion comes to something like $37 a record, but honestly, given the quality of music presented and where it's coming from, it's really a great deal.

If you're curious about anything in the picture, ask away, I'm just too lazy to do writeups for all 14 records shown.

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
this one cost a pretty penny and took months to ship, but its such a cool unique creation and fun to listen to. underneath is hiroshi sato - awakening which i bought because of this thread - very soulful album

thetan_guy42 fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 23, 2021

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I managed to snag Discovery and Human After All from a local record shop just now, but they didn't have Random Access Memory in stock. It seems to be the same everywhere else. People went ravenous for Daft Punk today, hahaha.

I hope I'll be able to find it somewhere soon. :ohdear:

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I don’t know if it’s a growing trend or not but there’s a lot of pop stuff that was out on vinyl within the last 10-15 years that is out of print and had prices driven up. I was really confused when I saw people asking (and getting) $30-50 for Coldplay’s Viva La Vida album, and even though they sank hard, the album Some Nights by Fun was selling for about $75 before a reissue got announced. Random Access Memories could easily fall into that.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

thetan_guy42 posted:

this one cost a pretty penny and took months to ship, but its such a cool unique creation and fun to listen to. underneath is hiroshi sato - awakening which i bought because of this thread - very soulful album

nice! I'm up to 7 Hosono albums now but 5 of them are the LITA reissues - no complaint of course, they do a great job, but having the originals is awesome. amusingly the guy I bought Philharmony from on Discogs refunded me 5 bucks because, despite the VG+ rating, there was some clicking at the beginning of Side 1....it's like 3 clicks, before the music even starts, and the rest of it plays perfectly. total opposite of what I usually deal with on there.

really hope LITA reissues more Hosono stuff soon - I'm kind of surprised they haven't jumped on reissuing Swing Slow, that thing would sell like crazy in today's environment

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

JAMOOOL posted:

really hope LITA reissues more Hosono stuff soon - I'm kind of surprised they haven't jumped on reissuing Swing Slow, that thing would sell like crazy in today's environment

love that album, it would be an instant buy for me. i get very strong lynchian / twin peaks energy from it.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

For some reason it went from being in every dollar bin to not being able to find copies in the last five years, so if you were looking for one, Laurie Anderson's Big Science is getting a repress from Nonsuch.

No more free signed prints, though. :smith:

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

This weekend's haul that I haven't been able to check out because I'm working a ton right now. Can't wait for a day off.

Came with wildflower seed packet.

Soul Slabs got repressed and Return to the 37th Chamber has a few new variant covers.

Some 45's I grabbed off of the last bandcamp friday I think? Funky library stuff.
https://fantasy15.bandcamp.com/merch

Took a chance with Amazon Warehouse. Both records were a little messed up but perfectly playable and half price.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

caligulamprey posted:

For some reason it went from being in every dollar bin to not being able to find copies in the last five years, so if you were looking for one, Laurie Anderson's Big Science is getting a repress from Nonsuch.

No more free signed prints, though. :smith:

Weird, it added the print to my cart when i checked out. I love this album and it was one of my first records, so I’m happy to have another copy.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

VladimirLeninpest posted:

Weird, it added the print to my cart when i checked out. I love this album and it was one of my first records, so I’m happy to have another copy.
Sweet! I went back, added it to my cart and the print showed up. :hellyeah:

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Is deep cleaning records actually a thing? I've been using the Big Fudge cleaning kit, which at least seems to get all the surface crap off. I have some records that continue to have a decent amount of background noise after cleaning and I'm not sure if they're still potentially dirty or if they're just worn out or something else. I've looked at buying a Spin Clean or something similar, but can't shake the suspicion that it wouldn't really make any difference. Would just buying a record brush, as opposed to a microfiber or similar one, do any better?

I guess basically I'm asking the age-old question: What's the best way to clean records?

Also, Discogs is ridiculous. My most valuable record is suddenly the brand new copy of Random Access Memories I got last Christmas. Cheapest copy available in the US on Discogs is now $150.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

z0331 posted:

Is deep cleaning records actually a thing? I've been using the Big Fudge cleaning kit, which at least seems to get all the surface crap off. I have some records that continue to have a decent amount of background noise after cleaning and I'm not sure if they're still potentially dirty or if they're just worn out or something else. I've looked at buying a Spin Clean or something similar, but can't shake the suspicion that it wouldn't really make any difference. Would just buying a record brush, as opposed to a microfiber or similar one, do any better?

I guess basically I'm asking the age-old question: What's the best way to clean records?

Also, Discogs is ridiculous. My most valuable record is suddenly the brand new copy of Random Access Memories I got last Christmas. Cheapest copy available in the US on Discogs is now $150.

Good lord. I was gonna defend some discogs pricing but I just looked up my collection and lol. How is Dolly Parton's Jolene a hundred dollar record?

But I will say that Amazon and the like have really devalued shipping and handling costs. Packaging costs money. People's time is worth money. If you are a small time seller, buying mailers, taking time to properly package records, driving to the post office, these are all real costs. Not to mention you have to figure in the cut discogs takes. Sure you might be selling a dollar bin record, but it really isn't worth the time to list it for $2 so in this way discogs has pretty wonky prices. My solution is to simply not buy outrageously priced stuff. That being said I want to sell my copy of Discovery cause I bought it for $15 on sale somewhere and I don't even really like Daft Punk haha.

Oh yeah. Spin clean works really well and might get in the grooves a little better but it probably isn't the miracle cure you are looking for. Maybe if used in conjunction with a vac system?

Edit:

My Beatles Mono box set that I think I paid under $200 for is now over a grand.
Danzig I probably bought for under $10 years ago is creeping up to $150
Madvillainy is still being pressed as far as I know and it is creeping up on the $100 mark
...and flippers are already trying to get $100 for that Brighter Days comp that I posted above. A record that is readily available in a different colorway.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 23, 2021

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy

sporklift posted:

Good lord. I was gonna defend some discogs pricing but I just looked up my collection and lol. How is Dolly Parton's Jolene a hundred dollar record?
Lol thanks, so this is what it feels like to get in on the ground floor of something. I paid $2 for my copy

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

thetan_guy42 posted:

Lol thanks, so this is what it feels like to get in on the ground floor of something. I paid $2 for my copy

Yeah. Looks like I paid $3 for mine.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

The Outfield Play Deep is a $25 record now because of a meme or something.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Sacred Bones is selling a cool slipmat themed around the new John Carpenter album that animates when you spin it:

https://www.sacredbonesrecords.com/collections/merch/products/john-carpenter-alive-after-death-zoetrope-slipmat

Schremp Howard posted:

I don’t know if it’s a growing trend or not but there’s a lot of pop stuff that was out on vinyl within the last 10-15 years that is out of print and had prices driven up. I was really confused when I saw people asking (and getting) $30-50 for Coldplay’s Viva La Vida album, and even though they sank hard, the album Some Nights by Fun was selling for about $75 before a reissue got announced. Random Access Memories could easily fall into that.

They probably weren't pressed in the numbers were seeing now for big label stuff because the sales weren't there yet. BUT NOW EVERYONE HAS TO HAVE IT AAAARRGGGHHH.

Imagine the kind of person who would pay 75 bucks for a Fun album. If I'd have know this bullshit was going to happen I would have just spent a couple years buying one of every lovely chart topping album collecting dust at Newbury Comics back then.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Imma go out on a limb and say Discog prices are hosed in general. I sorted my collection based on the minimum price and this is now my most expensive record:

Which is still available at the normal $36 price at uDiscover. I bet that Discogs is a bit of a captive market somehow; that newer users might not realize you can buy records elsewhere or direct from labels.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

Imma go out on a limb and say Discog prices are hosed in general. I sorted my collection based on the minimum price and this is now my most expensive record:

Which is still available at the normal $36 price at uDiscover. I bet that Discogs is a bit of a captive market somehow; that newer users might not realize you can buy records elsewhere or direct from labels.

Nice.

Anyway, discogs wasn't like this until recently so I'm thinking it's a symptom of what's happening with records in general is that the new people who have more money than sense found the site. The prices lately are absurd so I once again recommend making a wishlist with email alerts if there's something you must have. Always, always, always check the label something originates from because I can't count how many times I've seen something on discogs for an insane price and then went to the label's site and found it at retail. And if something has already been pressed in multiple colors and you've missed out just wait a while because they will almost certainly press it again.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Boinks posted:

The Outfield Play Deep is a $25 record now because of a meme or something.

my local shop had a copy for $13 and I was like "what are you thinking, this is super common and nobody wants it", boy was I wrong

its actually a pretty good album

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Until Discogs banned the selling of bootlegs, an off-brand 8-track of The Doors was the most expensive thing in my collection.

At least the artwork was funky for this company.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Until Discogs banned the selling of bootlegs, an off-brand 8-track of The Doors was the most expensive thing in my collection.

At least the artwork was funky for this company.

Huh I was gonna bitch about the inconsistency of bans on bootlegs, but it looks like it they caught up to all my unofficial things except for
this. And I am mostly certain my Parish Hall CD is a boot too, but it's gotten politely termed a reissue somehow.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Discogs banning bootlegs was terrible for all kinds of reasons, but the worst that probably that there's a lot of music that only exists anymore on unlicensed compilation albums. This is especially true of old 60s garage rock.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
ghosts i-iv is now apparently my most expensive album, and guess which one my rabbit took a chunk out of the jacket

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I have almost every single Third Man Vault releases and all of the White Stripes stuff from the Vault so my most valuable record is probably one of those.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
My copy of Rearviewmirror by Pearl Jam is like $500 bucks.

It was a birthday or Christmas present when it came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I've said this a bunch of times, but who is paying these loving prices? It's one thing when an album that retailed for 15 bucks sells for 50. But how does all this poo poo have triple digit asking prices now? People are buying this poo poo at these prices. Why? It's like those cartridges that cost thousands of dollars. At that point there's no worthwhile benefit and it's not even about the music, it's just a fetish item. Are there really that many boomers with money, wackos like that guy on youtube, and Saudi Princes hoarding this poo poo to drive up the prices to this extreme?