Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

AHH F/UGH posted:

This one was way more egregious

That scene is better than anything in the DC cinematic universe though.

Superman Returns isn't good but there are three or four scenes that are so Superman I wish the rest of the movie had been at that level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

infernal machines posted:

I'd rather watch a lot of things than Suckerpunch. That movie was real bad in a lot of ways. That Snyder tried to pitch it as some "empowerment" thing is just amazingly gross.

Yeah, there's no defending that one.

No one actually cares about Tom & Jerry.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

The_Rob posted:

Have you guys even seen the trailer for Tom and Jerry?

the last movie trailer I saw was sonic the hedgehog and I learned my lesson

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The_Rob posted:

Nah its boring. At least theres a dude who seems to care about his films rather than the cynical marvel poo poo.

The dud who made Ben and Arthur cared about it. That doesn't mean it doesn't suck.

Edit: Guess I should have refreshed the page after making dinner.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

rydiafan posted:

The dud who made Ben and Arthur cared about it. That doesn't mean it doesn't suck.

That movie was magical.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
You guys know it’s possible to like and enjoy something with it not being technically good right? Isn’t that what best of the worst is about?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
https://i.imgur.com/dliW0mC.mp4

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The_Rob posted:

You guys know it’s possible to like and enjoy something with it not being technically good right? Isn’t that what best of the worst is about?

Right but you're enjoying it because of the incompetence or ridiculousness. When say the CD folks defend Snyder's stuff or say the prequels are good they think they're legitimately well made films.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

The_Rob posted:

No poo poo?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Groovelord Neato posted:

Right but you're enjoying it because of the incompetence or ridiculousness. When say the CD folks defend Snyder's stuff or say the prequels are good they think they're legitimately well made films.

Either way I’m enjoying it. The technicalities don’t interest me.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
If I gain any kind of enjoyment out of it. I think it makes it a good movie.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

You just said you can enjoy a movie without it being good.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Groovelord Neato posted:

You just said you can enjoy a movie without it being good.

I said technically good. Me thinking it’s good is completely subjective. And if I’m getting something out of it I’d say it succeeds a lot more than most
Things being made.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I wouldn't enjoy watching virtually any movie from best of the worst. I enjoy that they condense the terribleness into 15 minutes so I don't have to waste another 75 being bored.

commielingus
Jan 23, 2021

by Athanatos

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
And I say this as a person who absolutely despised man of steel, but again when comparing Snyder to the modern crop of directors making big budget blockbusters. I’d rather him do it than most other people. He has a clear consistent vision and cares about what he’s making. Marvel movies are directed by boardrooms and focus groups. Even if his movies are sloppy and juvenile they at least attempt something.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Wanna see a magic trick? Ehehehehehehehehe

*turns water into wine*

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

It is pretty interesting how Christ symbology (even if pointless) gets a Pavlovian response in our fascist hellculture as "deep"

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

The_Rob posted:

I said technically good. Me thinking it’s good is completely subjective. And if I’m getting something out of it I’d say it succeeds a lot more than most
Things being made.

All fine and reasonable. But crying for people to stop making fun of the movie (or director) you like isn't going to accomplish anything.

If there is fun to be made then it will drat well be made!!

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
34 And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? which is, being interpreted, "My God, my God, I'm going to become the Joker"

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

mallratcal posted:

All fine and reasonable. But crying for people to stop making fun of the movie (or director) you like isn't going to accomplish anything.

If there is fun to be made then it will drat well be made!!

I mean I was never crying about that at all. It’s just kind of hack at this point. The dude won.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Also I think we should call any and all directors cut the Snyder cut from here on out.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
bow your heads and pray for zack's blessing. the reading today is from the gospal of quinn, chapter 6: "and lo did the lord, joker christ, preach upon to the peoples "we live in a society""

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

The_Rob posted:

I mean I was never crying about that at all. It’s just kind of hack at this point. The dude won.

And his wins are garbage but it has given us this bounty of Jesus/Joker posts, and that is good. Dry your eyes with the laughter they have created.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

bow your heads and pray for zack's blessing. the reading today is from the gospal of quinn, chapter 6: "and lo did the lord, joker christ, preach upon to the peoples "we live in a society""

Legit church would rule if it was this.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Fun fact: the best movie is Mortal Kombat (1995) and I'm hyped for the new one because if it's bad it's probably great.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Endless Trash posted:

Wanna see a magic trick? Ehehehehehehehehe

*turns water into wine*

This is why I don’t watch woody Allen movies

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Fun fact: the best movie is Mortal Kombat (1995) and I'm hyped for the new one because if it's bad it's probably great.

95 mortal kombat was the only good video game movie ever made because it had all the characters and they all did their moves.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Mortal Kombat at the very least will be entertaining.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

stephenthinkpad posted:

I hope Snyder is secretly holding the grudge against WB suites and is cutting the most unwatchable 4-hour mooovie ever.

this is absolutely going to be CD's unironic belief if the movie sucks so bad even they can't excuse it

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

The_Rob posted:

95 mortal kombat was the only good video game movie ever made because it had all the characters and they all did their moves.

it also helps that it was based on the first Mortal Kombat (playable characters: 7) and not the bloated mythology that developed. Mortal Kombat Annihilation isnt nearly as good.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Reality Protester posted:

it also helps that it was based on the first Mortal Kombat (playable characters: 7) and not the bloated mythology they developed. Mortal Kombat Annihilation isnt nearly as good.

Yeah Annihilation was one of those moments as a kid where I realized I could be disappointed in a movie. That and Batman and Robin.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
It sure was interesting seeing bits and pieces of MK Armageddon on tv over the years thinking “wow this is bad and makes no sense,” only to eventually watch the full movie and see that it was even worse and made even less sense when viewed as a whole.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

There was an animated Mortal Kombat movie last year that focused on Scorpion, that was pretty good.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

mallratcal posted:

There was an animated Mortal Kombat movie last year that focused on Scorpion, that was pretty good.

Yeah it was okay-ish enough I hope they do a sequel focusing on Sub Zero and Noob Saibot, or a movie about just the weird rear end new post-Shao Khan mythology.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The_Rob posted:

And I say this as a person who absolutely despised man of steel, but again when comparing Snyder to the modern crop of directors making big budget blockbusters. I’d rather him do it than most other people. He has a clear consistent vision and cares about what he’s making. Marvel movies are directed by boardrooms and focus groups. Even if his movies are sloppy and juvenile they at least attempt something.

Don't make the mistake of confusing good fortune with talent. There are a lot of directors out there with passion and vision. Snyder happens to be the one who won the lottery. You don't have to make excuses for a subpar artist who got lucky

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

The Klowner posted:

Don't make the mistake of confusing good fortune with talent. There are a lot of directors out there with passion and vision. Snyder happens to be the one who won the lottery. You don't have to make excuses for a subpar artist who got lucky

Again I’m comparing him to the modern crop of directors. I’d much rather watch a Zach Snyder movie than a Nolan movie any day of the week.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

LanceHunter posted:

Anyways, speaking of long-form video essay critique: Linday Ellis just dropped a hot new video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHTMidTLO60

Is it possible to get carpal tunnel from using airquotes too much?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

The_Rob posted:

Again I’m comparing him to the modern crop of directors. I’d much rather watch a Zach Snyder movie than a Nolan movie any day of the week.

Nolan also is drowning in his own ego. But he has a lot more talent to back it up than Snyder. Nolan actually pulled off a good gritty superhero movie that could say something intelligent about society. Snyder is on his fourth try, and couldn’t even make it work with Watchmen when the story was already written out for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

colonelwest posted:

Nolan also is drowning in his own ego. But he has a lot more talent to back it up than Snyder. Nolan actually pulled off a good gritty superhero movie that could say something intelligent about society. Snyder is on his fourth try, and couldn’t even make it work with Watchmen when the story was already written out for him.

He made a good gritty superhero movie until he got to the third act and the dark knight rises.