Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
Ah, I misunderstood your requirements I guess. The only thing I can think of that ticks the due date and separate reminder date box as well as the ability to do a NOT filter is Nirvana http://www.nirvanahq.com. It’s pretty rigid on the GTD structure so may not be your thing, but if you use the Next Actions concept of GTD that would be a way to hide the steps or subtasks the way you want too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

So I just got around to messing with Apple Books and that’s a good rear end app. I really like that I can load in my PDFs of my nostarch books. Is there anything like this that I can hook into my Calibre library that has good UX? The web readers are so so at best in my experience and the assorted apps I glanced at weren’t inspiring. That said I could just Files app onto my server and do it that way.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I’ve got an old iPhone and a dock and I was thinking about using it beside my bed as a clock and alarm and to stop going to bed with my phone.

I had a look at Nightstand which seems like one of the most popular but haven’t paid for premium to remove ads yet, which it definitely needs.

Anyone done similar or have recommendations for similar apps?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Can you share a NYT Crossword sub via family sharing? The app implies you can, but I tried to login to my account on my wife's phone and couldn't get it to work at all.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
What's a good app for turning an old iphone into a computer webcam?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

EC posted:

Can you share a NYT Crossword sub via family sharing? The app implies you can, but I tried to login to my account on my wife's phone and couldn't get it to work at all.

My wife and I share a NYT crossword sub but our account is via their website and we just use the same login, nothing to do with family sharing.

That said, it is a little annoying because the app syncs between devices so you can’t do the crossword at the same time unless you want to do it together - one person has to finish it, then the other person can clear it and do it again.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

MrBond posted:

the only one im aware of is camo

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

MrBond posted:

Depending on how old, NDI | HX Camera is great. (Needs corresponding software on PC but that’s free from NewTek.)

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

MrBond posted:

I’ve used DroidCam a little bit with Android and it works okay. They have an iOS app, too. I think HD video (>480p) might be a paid upgrade.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

elgato picked up epoccam last year. it was pretty p good, and they've prolly updated it since

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
I’ve been using http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1068039220 GoodTask, which is working well for my ADHD raddled brain.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Kerbtree posted:

I’ve been using http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1068039220 GoodTask, which is working well for my ADHD raddled brain.

I came here to say this almost word for word. It really is reminders++

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I really want to like that app cause it has a great feature set (like, exactly what I need/want), uses Reminders as a backend, and it’s in active development with the developer posting frequent updates on their boards. But… all buttons are too small and there are too many of them.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Now that LastPass is doing it’s weird thing with picking either mobile or pc for the free account, what’s my best option if I want to switch password managers?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Snowy posted:

Now that LastPass is doing it’s weird thing with picking either mobile or pc for the free account, what’s my best option if I want to switch password managers?

1Password

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

kri kri posted:

1Password

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Thanks I’ll check it out. I’ve been thinking about switching managers but always thought it would be a nightmare. Hopefully I was wrong :)

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

kri kri posted:

1Password

This was always the best solution. Myki is an interesting alternative if you don’t want to a store in the cloud.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I have a 1Pass family subscription and it is great. Got my older dad onto using it and he’s now all about keeping his passwords unique and random :3:

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

priznat posted:

I have a 1Pass family subscription and it is great. Got my older dad onto using it and he’s now all about keeping his passwords unique and random :3:

That’s good childing. Tried with my older dad but he kept forgetting the only password he actually needed to remember.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

XBenedict posted:

That’s good childing. Tried with my older dad but he kept forgetting the only password he actually needed to remember.

It has happened a couple times but since I admin it I can grant him access etc. (I have his pw saved in my vault too just in case). Most of the time he uses the face unlock on his iphone though.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

If you care about OSS Bitwarden is worth a go, but 1Pass is also pretty great.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Warbird posted:

If you care about OSS Bitwarden is worth a go, but 1Pass is also pretty great.

does the bitwarden ios app support totp in-app? the desktop does, but the android app apparently doesn't, and ever since realizing 1pass does, i won't move to one that doesn't

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Not sure. To be honest LastPass does it on so few sites I doubt I’d miss it.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

sleepwalkers posted:

does the bitwarden ios app support totp in-app? the desktop does, but the android app apparently doesn't, and ever since realizing 1pass does, i won't move to one that doesn't

Just a random thought, but you may want to consider separating password duties and OTP codes for different apps, just in case one is compromised.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

MrBond posted:

Droidcam works really well for me- video quality is great on my windows PC with a iPhone 6

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

what’re everyone’s favorite talking alarm clocks that can say words/phrases you choose or record?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

cage-free egghead posted:

Just a random thought, but you may want to consider separating password duties and OTP codes for different apps, just in case one is compromised.

1pass at least requires a giant “secret key” alongside account credentials to log in anywhere that isn’t a device in my possession so I’m ideally safe(r) even in the instance my password gets compromised, but that’s actually a good point since bitwarden doesn’t appear to do that, so i suppose i wouldn’t wanna move 2FA into there.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Does anyone remember the Uniqlo Wake Up app from like 7 or 8 years ago? It was an alarm clock app that would play music based on the current weather and a really relaxing singsong voice would read the time out like “Good morning, the time is 7:05am on Tuesday. Today is partly cloudy.”

I’d really like something like this again but I can’t find anything that really does it quite so nicely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66HgcvgULsU

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Question Mark Mound posted:

Does anyone remember the Uniqlo Wake Up app from like 7 or 8 years ago? It was an alarm clock app that would play music based on the current weather and a really relaxing singsong voice would read the time out like “Good morning, the time is 7:05am on Tuesday. Today is partly cloudy.”

I’d really like something like this again but I can’t find anything that really does it quite so nicely.

#things i didn’t know i needed and am now sad they no longer exist

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

ya i used to love this app, also there was a persona 4 calendar/alarm clock app that worked similarly that is dead and i can't find a youtube of it so maybe i just dreamed it up while high

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Aw I miss uniqlock :sigh:

I guess it still kinda works, but without sound

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Mar 5, 2021

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Not sure if this app specific or more to do with iOS in general but Exposure Notifications has used 18% of my battery over 10 days which is the highest of any app.

Is there anything I can do about this? I’m based in New Zealand and I believe iOS links to our local app.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
8% here on my European iPhone. I think it depends somewhat on how many contacts you have, but unfortunately it is quite energy intense to have all phones constantly talk to each other.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

Not sure if this app specific or more to do with iOS in general but Exposure Notifications has used 18% of my battery over 10 days which is the highest of any app.

Is there anything I can do about this? I’m based in New Zealand and I believe iOS links to our local app.

Yeah. You can suck it up for the duration of a pandemic. NZ is a small island with a relatively dense population - who thus far have done far better than the rest of us at controlling this thing. Which is why there are festivals happening without massive break outs. You are welcome to disable the service entirely if 20 minutes battery is more important to you than helping keep your country pretty much virus free.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I feel like an alarm should apologize for waking me up in the morning

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Red_Fred posted:

I’ve only gotten 2% in the states so that is odd

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Neurophonic posted:

Yeah. You can suck it up for the duration of a pandemic. NZ is a small island with a relatively dense population - who thus far have done far better than the rest of us at controlling this thing. Which is why there are festivals happening without massive break outs. You are welcome to disable the service entirely if 20 minutes battery is more important to you than helping keep your country pretty much virus free.

Wow. Also, NZ is not densely populated.

Given that the app traces contacts itself and Apple does their thing I’m not even sure that the effort is not doubled up.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Is this Uniqlo like..the clothing store Uniqlo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Skeezy posted:

Is this Uniqlo like..the clothing store Uniqlo?

They've made a few clocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAMC1NizEU0