Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kirios posted:

I like how saying the quiet parts out loud is what did him in and not the awful sexual harassments but at least the piece of poo poo is finally gone

I mean, that in itself is ironically saying the quiet part out loud that the league doesn't really care about sexual harassment or assault allegations and - where they can - would rather just sweep it under the rug because the alternative is admitting it's a systemic cultural problem for the sport and not just a few bad eggs. Dumping what amounts to a crate of ammunition at the feet of the player's union just as major CBA negotiations are coming up though? Yeah, you're gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Albert Pujols' wife said on Instagram that he is retiring after this year

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

Albert Pujols' wife said on Instagram that he is retiring after this year

Not all that surprising, I think the only way he plays another year after his contract is up (holy gently caress it's finally the last year of that contract) is if he was within reach of 700 home runs. It hurts just watching the dude do routine baseball things and has for a while now.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
lol Mike Trout telling Pujols to retire.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
30 million dollars is what they're paying Albert this year. That's gotta be a pitcher or two at least..

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Angels don't like signing pitchers. They've turned down countless opportunities over the years.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Moreno will probably just pocket the savings

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Johnny Bravo posted:

Not all that surprising, I think the only way he plays another year after his contract is up (holy gently caress it's finally the last year of that contract) is if he was within reach of 700 home runs. It hurts just watching the dude do routine baseball things and has for a while now.

BBR has him projected for 18 home runs this year, which would put him at 680. If he could get to 20 this year, it’s not a stretch to imagine he could do one more season, especially if the NL gets the DH in 2022.

Even if he doesn’t - god drat what a career. Those first 10 years in St Louis were off the charts - 8 years with an OPS over 1.000!!! He’ll finish with about 3300 hits and the 680 homers and we’ll never really know how old he actually is.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Wonder if the Cardinals will sign him to a 1 day retirement contract or does his PR deal with the Angels prevent that (did I make that up?)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Mike_V posted:

Wonder if the Cardinals will sign him to a 1 day retirement contract or does his PR deal with the Angels prevent that (did I make that up?)

Impossible unfortunately, there's actually a clause in his contract that says he cannot affiliate himself with any other team for ten years after he retires..

...Which could make his HoF induction really awkward if he goes in as a Cardinal like he should.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Sydin posted:

Impossible unfortunately, there's actually a clause in his contract that says he cannot affiliate himself with any other team for ten years after he retires..

...Which could make his HoF induction really awkward if he goes in as a Cardinal like he should.
He can wear an angels cap at the ceremony all he wants, his bust will have a Cards cap

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Popete posted:

lol Mike Trout telling Pujols to retire.

I don't think anyone needed to tell him, no one wants to sign a 42 year old DH who last had an OPS+ over 100 in 2016

I also don't think it's out of the question for Pujols to reach 700 if he stays healthy and gets 500 or so PAs in 2022

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh my bad I didn't realize Pujols was an FA after this season. Just thought the timing was interesting that he would decide to retire after Trout makes a statement about not making the playoffs getting to him.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
Some days I just have to ask myself why the organization I root for is the Mariners.

Even when they show a bit of promise they turn out to be the same old Mariners.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

logger posted:

Some days I just have to ask myself why the organization I root for is the Mariners.

Even when they show a bit of promise they turn out to be the same old Mariners.

I think the Dorktown series really put it the best: they have been both the best and the worst team, and they consistently have great, likeable stars, and are a team that shouldn't, by most accounts, exist; at least, not really. So in a world where nothing really matters, the least of which being professional sports, why not cheer on the most enjoyably chaotic team? Nothing matters, but the Mariners make that nothing mattering at least interesting if not fun.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Intruder posted:

I also don't think it's out of the question for Pujols to reach 700 if he stays healthy and gets 500 or so PAs in 2022

If not for the pandemic, Pujols could have gotten close enough to the career RBI record to hold on for another year. He had 93 in 2019 and was on pace for 104 in 2020, but he's now 197 away and must figure it's not worth another year away from his family for the long shot of breaking that record. His career longevity is already amazing, and he'll probably enter the all-time top 10 in plate appearances this year.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Chamale posted:

If not for the pandemic, Pujols could have gotten close enough to the career RBI record to hold on for another year. He had 93 in 2019 and was on pace for 104 in 2020, but he's now 197 away and must figure it's not worth another year away from his family for the long shot of breaking that record. His career longevity is already amazing, and he'll probably enter the all-time top 10 in plate appearances this year.

If he decides to go for it and his new team/the Angels giving him a one year deal decide to give him enough PAs maybe he could hit both the record and 700 HRs in 2022

If Mariano hadn't gotten 100% I feel like despite the last four years Pujols had a legitimate shot at being the first

e: lol it still kills me that after so many years of oldheads declaring you can't get in the HOF as a closer, a closer is the first one to get 100%

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

"Today the boys go out to the plate, take a slam at the ball, pray that they'll get a hit, and let it go at that. They are not fighting as in the days of old." - Bill Joyce, quoted in the 1916 Spalding Base Ball Guide

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

rickiep00h posted:

I think the Dorktown series really put it the best: they have been both the best and the worst team, and they consistently have great, likeable stars, and are a team that shouldn't, by most accounts, exist; at least, not really. So in a world where nothing really matters, the least of which being professional sports, why not cheer on the most enjoyably chaotic team? Nothing matters, but the Mariners make that nothing mattering at least interesting if not fun.

I mean, making the playoffs every once in a while would be nice

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I have not played fantasy baseball since 1994, when I participated in an informal amateur thing between a group of friends.

Now, I am about to enter into a ten-team H2H thing using the CBSsports website thing:

I have ranked my draft list by position. Does anyone have any tips for me? Possible breakout players? Or is there a thread specifically for fantasy baseball?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/BringerOfRain20/status/1364004963907682307

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

There's a forum for fantasy sports that's a subforum of SAS, The Armchair Quarterback

As for advice, the last time I seriously played Carl Crawford was going on the top five picks so

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

I like Josh Donaldson. I had an "oh damnit, not you Josh" moment when I started reading that tweet.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I mean, making the playoffs every once in a while would be nice

I would have loved for King Felix to have at least been able to go to a wild card game once in his career, instead we wasted his most talented years in baseball limbo(I was going to say purgatory, but that seems more like what MiLB is).

In the front offices they have their own list of unwritten rules of baseball, Mather got punished for breaking one.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Rizzo basically had the same response:

https://twitter.com/JesseRogersESPN/status/1363946718501498882

Anybody paying attention knew what was up, but now that a major MLB exec has come out and said it, it gives the players a ton of ammo for the upcoming negotiations.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

rickiep00h posted:

I have never met a Mariners fan who actually believed that or enjoyed the kind of chaos they imbue except in a gallows humor kind of way.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

https://twitter.com/NickFrancona/status/1364022612892991491

Thats a big old oof.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

It's really pretty impressive. 4 words. Two clauses. Both clauses are offensive. Almost makes you wonder if the first draft of the design still had Wahoo on it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

I don't think this is really proof but we all know that it's true. It's just going to make things more toxic between the players and the owners everyone thought it couldn't get more toxic.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Its Rinaldo posted:

I have never met a Mariners fan who actually believed that or enjoyed the kind of chaos they imbue except in a gallows humor kind of way.

Yeah it's dull and it loving sucks

There's something especially awful and pointless about watching a bad baseball team built on expensive FAs like the post-2003 and 2010s Mariners. There's just this water torture drip drip drip of losses and there's no hope of prospects coming up the pipeline to help. It's enervating.

And at long last they committed to a full rebuild, got a talented farm team, and then pissed them all off, cool, cool

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Sydin posted:

I'm still unclear how this works. Let's say he enters FA and doesn't retire. He theoretically can sign with any team and would then be wearing their gear? I guess this leaves open the option for a symbolic sign and retire.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

mcmagic posted:

I don't think this is really proof but we all know that it's true. It's just going to make things more toxic between the players and the owners everyone thought it couldn't get more toxic.

How is it not proof?

You need him to write down “I am gonna manipulate service time” instead of saying it out loud?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
After the last ten years (or really the last five) I feel like the Angels would be juuuust fine granting Pujols an exception to being affiliated with the org for ten more

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

uggy posted:

How is it not proof?

You need him to write down “I am gonna manipulate service time” instead of saying it out loud?

It's basically what everyone knows. It's not like this is going to be the thing that wins the union a collusion case in court though.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
I think you have a warped idea of what is admissible in court.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/Majorleaguemadd/status/1364317450523795460

Aw poo poo. Judge got his gap fixed lol

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

coward

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
He is unrecognizable in that pic lol

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/1364288711429677060

Giants sign Scott Kazmir, who last pitched in the Obama Administration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The Yankee grooming policy has gone too far this time

too(th) far