Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

skipdogg posted:

ATT or Spectrum?

Spectrum actually. Att dug up my neighborhood over 7 years ago promising fiber. Never delivered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Been a month into management and so far....not as bad as I thought it would be. Now managing 4 engineers with a 5th starting next month and it has been pretty smooth sailing. Some people on my team have given positive feedback about my management style to my boss so I guess they're happy with it as well

I did have to review employee salaries and was shocked by how much people on my team make. I have non-senior engineers pulling in over 170k base for a 100% remote position which seems obscene to me. I think the only justification is were very trendy with our technology stack and those skills pull big bucks

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Why does remote make it seem like you want them to get paid less?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

If you’re gonna pay me 200k to live in nyc. You’re gonna have to pay me 200k to live in San Antonio. My knowledge just doesn’t increase by moving to your city.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Want? I don't _want_ anything, I am just surprised that we didn't adjust for cost of living for where they are located.

E: my biggest shock is not that it's remote but rather that it's not a senior position and it pulls that salary HTH

Sepist fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 23, 2021

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Sepist posted:

Want? I don't _want_ anything, I am just surprised that we didn't adjust for cost of living for where they are located.

E: my biggest shock is not that it's remote but rather that it's not a senior position and it pulls that salary HTH

Don't be? This is garbage. If the market commands that salary it shouldn't matter where you live. Full stop.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

It’s too late. He’s become a manager. Sever

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Sepist posted:

I did have to review employee salaries and was shocked by how much people on my team make. I have non-senior engineers pulling in over 170k base for a 100% remote position which seems obscene to me. I think the only justification is were very trendy with our technology stack and those skills pull big bucks

lmao

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Sepist posted:

Been a month into management and so far....not as bad as I thought it would be. Now managing 4 engineers with a 5th starting next month and it has been pretty smooth sailing. Some people on my team have given positive feedback about my management style to my boss so I guess they're happy with it as well

not to pile on a pile on but my dude, you should be listening to this person because they clearly have negotiating skills if nothing else

Be proud of your peons for getting their due! You should be happy when they make more than expected, not upset. I get budget constraints are eternal, but 170k is not ridiculous at all for truly talented engineers, even at the intermediate level.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I’m shocked that someone thinks making 170k for a remote position is an issue. I gotta get paid. Do you know how much it costs to insure a c8 corvette?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

jaegerx posted:

I’m getting gig internet to home!!! Now if my water was clean to drink I’d be ok.

I'm moving from gig internet (AT&T) to gig internet (Sonic) in a month.

Gig internet owns.

Also good on your employees for getting paid, Sepist, maybe you should work to get the rest of them paid that much.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

luminalflux posted:

I'm moving from gig internet (AT&T) to gig internet (Sonic) in a month.

Gig internet owns.

Also good on your employees for getting paid, Sepist, maybe you should work to get the rest of them paid that much.

170k is the lowest paid on my team.

You are all tripping, I am all about getting paid your due. I am always on here advocating for people to get paid the most they can and not be loyal to any one company if your salary stagnates. I am for sure not jealous/mad/any of that, I make way more than that so loving lol at the whole conversation going completely off the rails.

You guys are gonna need to improve your shitposting by next quarter or this is going on your permanent record.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Sepist posted:

170k is the lowest paid on my team.

You are all tripping, I am all about getting paid your due. I am always on here advocating for people to get paid the most they can and not be loyal to any one company if your salary stagnates. I am for sure not jealous/mad/any of that, I make way more than that so loving lol at the whole conversation going completely off the rails.

You guys are gonna need to improve your shitposting by next quarter or this is going on your permanent record.

You're getting flak because adjusting for cost of living based on location for remote work is goddamn bullshit.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I dont disagree with you but I also never said it's my policy, people just bandwagoned that me being surprised my company didn't means I think that they should.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Sepist posted:

I dont disagree with you but I also never said it's my policy, people just bandwagoned that me being surprised my company didn't means I think that they should.

You referred to it as "obscene" so maybe you can see how some of us took it that way?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sepist posted:

Go to bed.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

Matt Zerella posted:

You referred to it as "obscene" so maybe you can see how some of us took it that way?

Yea thats fair

E: going to bed

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Another IT thread success story!

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
poo poo most of my friends start at 170-200k TC as a new grad

E: I guess I should take a nap

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
If your job requires you to use a CI/CD pipeline and you aren't making 150k+, you are leaving money on the table. SR Security Engineer Whatever starts in 170 if you have any real technical ability in any large company.

The one gig I am seeing taking a massive downtrend (which I notice because its my field) is infosec folks who rely on gui's and/or vendors to do anything mildly technical. If that is you, you better hold on to the job you have forever as it might die before the sysadmin job market does. If you don't come from dev or ops backgrounds/skillsets, I can't loving use you.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 23, 2021

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Information Technology: Starting salary 150k

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

The one gig I am seeing taking a massive downtrend (which I notice because its my field) is infosec folks who rely on gui's and/or vendors to do anything mildly technical. If that is you, you better hold on to the job you have forever as it might die before the sysadmin job market does. If you don't come from dev or ops backgrounds/skillsets, I can't loving use you.

this seems somewhat obvious if you look at it in the stance of comparing "people that know how to set up mtls properly in a service mesh" vs "people that can tick 'block all social media' on zscaler"

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Obviously financial goals aren't the true goals in life but it's nice when you break that amount that you realize you're now in the top 5% of the texas because of your stupid rear end brain. Get paid, make money bitches.

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 23, 2021

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Sickening posted:

The one gig I am seeing taking a massive downtrend (which I notice because its my field) is infosec folks who rely on gui's and/or vendors to do anything mildly technical.

Absolutely no offense intended to any thread readers who are coworkers, past and present, but yeah this has been the writing on the wall for a while in the US. I'm probably a little broke brained after having worked for startups for so long, but this wasn't really a job anyway if you weren't doing eng work alongside normal eng teams. IMHO there's only ever been 2 real infosec jobs: setting policy alongside legal teams in a director level position, or implementing policy while completing the rest of your job duties. If you work in an org that has conned itself into believing that you don't need to set policy and you don't need to be an IC engineer in some other specialty, hang onto it as long as possible.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
On the flipside of the salary discussion, if I were looking for a job, I'd rather entertain offers for a job that's 100% remote but pays 15k less than a job that's in the office 5 days a week.
However I wouldn't exactly be thumbing my nose at people for making 170k just because the job is full time remote work. They've obviously got a skillset that the employer is willing to pay for so good for both parties.

The Iron Rose posted:

not to pile on a pile on but my dude, you should be listening to this person because they clearly have negotiating skills if nothing else

Be proud of your peons for getting their due! You should be happy when they make more than expected, not upset. I get budget constraints are eternal, but 170k is not ridiculous at all for truly talented engineers, even at the intermediate level.

Agreed. You're a manager. You're not paying their salary so you should be encouraging them to take advantage of everything at their disposal and make as much money as they can. Having highly paid and happy employees doesn't exactly reflect negatively on your managerial skills.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Agreed. You're a manager. You're not paying their salary so you should be encouraging them to take advantage of everything at their disposal and make as much money as they can. Having highly paid and happy employees doesn't exactly reflect negatively on your managerial skills.

Except when managers have a team budget with regards to employees and have goals to stay within that budget (or worse, decrease spending).

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

LochNessMonster posted:

Except when managers have a team budget with regards to employees and have goals to stay within that budget (or worse, decrease spending).

Just toss your two highest paid employees into the octagon and make them fight to the death. Winner takes the loser's ticket queue.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Just toss your two highest paid employees into the octagon and make them fight to the death. Winner takes the loser's ticket queue.

You can laugh but it sucked to have 3 seniors fired from your team and backfilling only one of them with a junior because our manager thought "we'd be able to pull it off". Which actually meant "I'm getting a 200% bonus if I don't backfill this for an entire year". The result was that all of the remaining team members (except me) got a burn out that year.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

George H.W. oval office posted:

What's the hot Dell laptop\monitor situation these days? Being asked to spec out what I want and I guess a XPS 17 and a couple of 27" ultrasharps?

I got my boss to buy me one of these when we switched from HP to Dell this year

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-ultrasharp-34-curved-usb-c-monitor-u3419w/apd/210-arcl/monitors-monitor-accessories

It's incredible.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Meanwhile I'm making a modest income in the public sector but those bennies tho!!!

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I just decided one day that I'm just not going to let other people's lovely attitudes bother me. If my manager is upset and being an rear end in a top hat, well then that's his problem, not mine, and he's gonna have to figure a way to sort that emotional baggage out on his own because he can't put it on me.
The last time he came at me all angry with a problem and making asinine demands I gave him two options: calm the gently caress down, provide me the details, drop the absurd timeline and understand that this will reprioritize all my other work OR he can fix it himself and explain to the CIO why I just put in my 2 weeks notice. He still gets upset about poo poo sometimes, I mean we all do, we're all human. But his first reaction is no longer to find someone to blame for a problem, but rather to ask "what needs to be done to get this resolved as soon as possible." So I chalk that up as a win. He still butts heads with my other coworker but I can't be arsed to figure their dynamic out for them.

I try to let it wash over me but it's hard not to let it get to me. I work in the public health sector too, in mental health specifically, and it bothers me so much that these two garbage people are given so much power, but care so little about the service and staff they're supposed to be helping and just brazenly waste public money while also seeming to do everything they can to keep their employees down and underpaid.

LochNessMonster posted:

It’s this. The whole recruitment market is absolute dogshit (at least in the EU it is). Everyone and their mothers have become recruiters nowadays and 95% of them has absolutely no idea how an opening relates to a resume. They just mass email/linkedin msg each vacancy to their entire network. I swear, at this point there are probably more recruiters than actual IT people.

Besides being ignorant, there’s also the borderline malicious group. They will send your resume to their “clients” stating they represent you and them hiring you through any other agency or directly will result in a lawsuit. In this case clients means unsollicited offers to job postings on company websites that may even explicitly state they do not work with recruitment firms.
I’ve seen this happen twice to coworkers, where a company pulled the interview because a random recruitment firm sent a resume (unwanted by the client and not mentioned to my coworker).

This is why you never send them resumes without knowing exactly which job offer it’s being used for. Also send it in pdf so it makes changing it more difficult, and yes these monkeys do change your resume without informing you about it.

The trick is to find a few decent ones and let them search for you. With the market being full of absolute donkeys this is becoming really difficult.

Most of the ones I talk to say they got my CV from a job site, but I also just coincidentally applied for a position they were advertising on behalf of an MSP - since that's all that seems to be recruiting anymore and no enterprises exist??? - and then they immediately go into talking about some other job that I didn't apply for, and how great the company is and how I'm a perfect fit for it and they'll send my poo poo over and will absolutely call back the next day to let me know what's going on either way... then call back 2 weeks later about some different job and introduce themselves all over again and ask about me like it's the first time we spoke. Maybe I'm just that garbage and that forgettable welp. Also makes me wonder if these job postings i'm applying for aren't even real they just put them up to harvest CVs.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Sickening posted:

If your job requires you to use a CI/CD pipeline and you aren't making 150k+, you are leaving money on the table. SR Security Engineer Whatever starts in 170 if you have any real technical ability in any large company.

Im still really new to full time InfoSec but I see a bit of this going on at my workplace. We have a fulltime 24/7 SOC and I wouldnt trust half the people here to be able to look at something like a switch config or powershell script and have a basic understanding of what those things are trying to do. These same people are going to get replaced by software sooner or later.

Now the more senior people who have actual ops or dev experience before moving onto security are head and shoulders above the people that got into security right at the start of their careers.

Though I do also wonder how many layers of management an org needs. Seems like they'd be easier to cut then just about anyone else once you've replaced staff with software.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

LochNessMonster posted:

You can laugh but it sucked to have 3 seniors fired from your team and backfilling only one of them with a junior because our manager thought "we'd be able to pull it off". Which actually meant "I'm getting a 200% bonus if I don't backfill this for an entire year". The result was that all of the remaining team members (except me) got a burn out that year.

There's always the risky play of not doing the work. Managers get covered by employees way too much.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I think it's here we were discussing muting others in Teams. Well reporting back, I just got muted in a Teams call, and I got a notification that I'd been muted but it didn't include who muted me.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

LochNessMonster posted:

I'm not laughing because I have absorbed 4 other peoples jobs since I started working here. Our team is 25% the size that it used to be when I started working here. Not because they purposefully made cutbacks, but because everyone left due to lovely management and we haven't been able to retain any replacements. The record holder lasted 6 months, the shortest was at least 2 days though. But I think he decided at the beginning of the second day that he wouldn't be coming back for a third.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

LochNessMonster posted:

I'm not laughing because I have absorbed 4 other peoples jobs since I started working here. Our team is 25% the size that it used to be when I started working here. Not because they purposefully made cutbacks, but because everyone left due to lovely management and we haven't been able to retain any replacements. The record holder lasted 6 months, the shortest was at least 2 days though. But I think he decided at the beginning of the second day that he wouldn't be coming back for a third.

mattfl posted:

I got my boss to buy me one of these when we switched from HP to Dell this year

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-ultrasharp-34-curved-usb-c-monitor-u3419w/apd/210-arcl/monitors-monitor-accessories

It's incredible.

drat that 49" is only <$1300. That's tempting.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

just brazenly waste public money while also seeming to do everything they can to keep their employees down and underpaid.

Well which is it? Are they underpaying their employees or are they wasting public dollars?
I'm kidding of course. It's amazing what those dollars get blown on when they realize the fiscal year is ending and they're gonna lose that budget if they don't spend it all.
We are sitting on dozens of UV C lamps and all sorts of hella pricey fiber locating and testing equipment that we will absolutely never use.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

drat that 49" is only <$1300. That's tempting.

drat, I just checked and the 49" isn't on our approved device list thru our vendor. The 34" only costs me $600 thru CDW vs $840 from Dell. Would've been sweet if that 49" came in under $1000 lol

The 38" comes in at $800 though, hmmmmm.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I feel like it'd be weird doing IT work on a curved monitor, my brain would be telling me I ought to be playing games not developing software!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That 49" is £830 from our distributor lol

Incredibly tempted, especially since Windows is better at window management now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

mattfl posted:

drat, I just checked and the 49" isn't on our approved device list thru our vendor. The 34" only costs me $600 thru CDW vs $840 from Dell. Would've been sweet if that 49" came in under $1000 lol

The 38" comes in at $800 though, hmmmmm.

Get the 38" :sun: