Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

goxbucks are the greatest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
lol

the number of tethers issued as of new year's day this year: 21 billion

the number of tethers issued as of now: 34.5 billion

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
still a long way to go till the big quintillion

cowards

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

https://twitter.com/ofnumbers/status/1363923697439027208

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Wonder if the reason binance is pumping it's own stable coin and token is because they see the writing on the wall for tether. All the non cash exchanges got huge infusions of tether this morning while they were down.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Unbanking the banked!

Edit: Bonus laser eyes.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
I wonder what he said on his business account application. and what he actually planned to do with the money

say where is that goon who worked for a bank's risk department or w/e anyway, they haven't posted in a while

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

FAUXTON is the name. he still posts, just not here

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Real Name
@RealName

I'm doing banking crimes. I won't tell you what ones specifically, don't want my bank to find out:ssh:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

LordSaturn posted:

FAUXTON is the name. he still posts, just not here

good for him

i mean that genuinely

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

like i can't imagine you can work as a compliance officer at a bank and not blow a blood vessel in your brain after reading enough bitcoin thread, either from stress or laughing too hard

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

so uhh just out of curiosity how illegal is it to lie on a loan application? i hope that guy's just trolling because that sounds extremely illegal.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Bankrupt yourself (own bank).

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Eeyo posted:

so uhh just out of curiosity how illegal is it to lie on a loan application? i hope that guy's just trolling because that sounds extremely illegal.
technically it'll be fraud or attempted fraud, but that's the sort of thing you get nailed with after you've already been indicted for RICO or other felonies or whatever. or you're a shady real estate developer who's been exploiting loopholes a little too much and oops now everyone's paying attention to your finances all of a sudden

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Hammerite posted:

it might replace tether in its purported role as a "stable coin", but will it replace tether's de facto role as a means for shady market participants to pump bitcoin's value? coinbase iirc is the relatively law-abiding cryptocurrency organisation that institutions are willing to keep at arm's length, as opposed to the other cryptocurrency orgs which they won't touch with a ten foot pole. So presumably coinbase's stable coin can't and won't fill that role. When tether disappears and there's nothing doing for bitcoin what tether currently does, what happens? who knows, but it will probably be stupid (and therefore funny)

yeah, I'd guess it'll supplant Tethers, maybe even mostly instead of all the way, and I'm expecting that to stabilize bitcoin prices and keep it from going as close to zero as it most recently did. I don't really care if Tether craters (other than the laff returns) but it'd be an unalloyed good for butts to and a stable coin baked by billions of real investor dollars will probably help prevent that, unfortunately

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

What does it mean to be a programmable dollar?

Being programmable unlocks a whole new world of applications and businesses: developers can create accounts to store money with one line of code; lending that is faster, cheaper, and more transparent; faster and cheaper payments, including payroll; global crowdfunding; transparent and stable donations to charity.

i do not want my dollar to be programmable :ohdear:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

As more goods and services are tokenized, smart contract platforms will become fundamental building blocks of value exchange. Centre’s open-source and transparent stablecoin framework allows fiat to interact with smart contracts, giving developers a viable way to use real world currencies in blockchain applications.

i don't want my goods and services tokenized either :ohdear:

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
i had a house but they tokenized it now its stuck in an usb stick and i cant remember the password help my children are freezing to death

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

my housing... it’s actually turning into bitcoin!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
i got hacked and now grandmas house belongs to some russian hackers, grandma is all scrambled by ransomware and looks like a broken jpeg help me please

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

ymgve posted:

i got hacked and now grandmas house belongs to some russian hackers, grandma is all scrambled by ransomware and looks like a broken jpeg help me please

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
why grandma, what big artifacts you have

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Munkeymon posted:

yeah, I'd guess it'll supplant Tethers, maybe even mostly instead of all the way, and I'm expecting that to stabilize bitcoin prices and keep it from going as close to zero as it most recently did. I don't really care if Tether craters (other than the laff returns) but it'd be an unalloyed good for butts to and a stable coin baked by billions of real investor dollars will probably help prevent that, unfortunately

If it does replace Tethers, it'll be temporarily. All these stablecoins are temporary, they just seem a lot less temporary than they really are because the American federal government is slow as molasses and none of this was a priority under the last administration. But at some point Coinbase/Centre are gonna get a call from the SEC or CFTC or DOJ or some other relevant federal acronym, and then a few minutes later they're gonna announce that they're no longer issuing USDC and urge every USDC holder to start redeeming their tokens. Because...

junan_paalla posted:

USD coin still isn't audited, they have attestations which are as good as paying someone to say "yeah the money's there". it literally can't be audited, because it would mean either admitting that they're issuing an unregistered security, or admitting that usdc holders don't actually have any claims towards the holdings 'backing' them, making them worthless.

... this is all true, and not just for USDC, but for any currency-"backed" stablecoin. At best, the issuer is acting in good faith and has the money and intent to redeem their tokens, but is in violation of American securities and banking laws. At worst, the issuer is like Tether, and they're violating a whole host of securities and banking laws in addition to having neither the means nor intent to redeem their tokens for dollars.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Shame Boy posted:

a little while ago you said some messed up stuff about transpeople in this thread when you weren't in a good place mentally and it'd be nice if you acknowledged that wasn't too good of you, that's all

I’m phone posting from the app, and will need to log into my desktop to be fully functioning as far as pm’s and posting (I didn’t get probed from any other sub forums so probably didn’t post in any threads that weren’t qued up in my bookmarks) but I am happy to claim I’m an rear end who posted poo poo in an altered state of reality and needed a public time out.

I’ll be on my computer tonight.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Paladinus posted:

Bankrupt yourself (own bank).

be your owned bank

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Shame Boy posted:

i don't want my goods and services tokenized either :ohdear:
GST = goods & services token

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
so is there any reason why I can’t just fork Ethereum, transfer NFTs to myself, and be able to view my new prized JPEGs on TopShot or whatever this sports cryptokitties 2.0 thing is?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X9NufijmZg

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Nybble posted:

so is there any reason why I can’t just fork Ethereum, transfer NFTs to myself, and be able to view my new prized JPEGs on TopShot or whatever this sports cryptokitties 2.0 thing is?

i'm going to take a wild guess that's probably correct and say: because all the actual assets and important stuff is stored on their servers and the blockchain part is only an afterthought bolted on to the side

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

why did i click on this

vitalick butterin is sinking about bitcoin while shaking his butt around

why would you make this:cry:

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

please don't post group suicide pacts in the 'pos

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pretending this isn't fake for a moment (cuz it's definitely fake), do you think "we" going all in means this reddit poster nagged his neighbors until they begrudgingly downloaded bitcoin wallets to shut him up

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Boxturret posted:

please don't post group suicide pacts in the 'pos

You can't tell me what to do!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmFjdH-19xo

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Can someone post or find me the meme thats like a line graph with multiple colors then it shows some stupid looking guy with one of those pens that draws multiple colors

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

https://twitter.com/TheBlock__/status/1364194400813936645

lol

edit:
https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1364192478908329985
"... in New York", Walt, "ends illegal trading activity in New York" is the key part you left off. "Don't do this thing that you already got in trouble for doing when you weren't supposed to, we REALLY mean it this time. Also we don't want to sift through all this bullshit you sent us, this should be the feds' problem, so pay us our pound of flesh and let's call it a day"

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Feb 23, 2021

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Boxturret posted:

why did i click on this

vitalick butterin is sinking about bitcoin while shaking his butt around

why would you make this:cry:

It was fated to happen.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

i assume this is one of those bullshit deferred prosecution agreements where they admit no wrong-doing

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Blotto_Otter posted:

https://twitter.com/TheBlock__/status/1364194400813936645

lol

edit:
https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1364192478908329985
"... in New York", Walt, "ends illegal trading activity in New York" is the key part you left off. "Don't do this thing that you already got in trouble for doing when you weren't supposed to, we REALLY mean it this time. Also we don't want to sift through all this bullshit you sent us, this should be the feds' problem, so pay us our pound of flesh and let's call it a day"
the basic problem is that...it is NY. It's one state, it's not like they can shut it down forever. It really should be a federal question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I've met Vitalik a few times and he's as big a doofus as you expect