Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Sash! posted:

I'm agonizing over whether Agatha killed a real or imaginary dog.

Murdering house pets is within her comic book characterization, and she’s not even a villain in the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

BrianWilly posted:

It would definitely be really strange if a random person knew the precise details of the Infinity Stones, along with the exact specific sequence of events that went down in Wakanda and could recite them as if it were just common knowledge...but I can handwave it that Jimmy was briefed on a lot of classified info like a lot of federal agents might be, and Darcy is in Thor's groupchat or something.

Didn't Far From Home and Endgame establish that the news was covering "the blip" and that Captain America/Black Widow had spent most of the last 5 years telling people about what happened/trying to find a way to fix it?

Also, I don't know if it is hilarious or dumb that the official outside of the universe Marvel name for the end of Infinity War is "the snap," but the in-universe world decided to call it the much dumber "the blip."

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

Darcy is in Thor's groupchat or something.

She would be exactly the person to text Thor, and Fat Thor would definitely text back and tell her the whole story.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Didn't Far From Home and Endgame establish that the news was covering "the blip" and that Captain America/Black Widow had spent most of the last 5 years telling people about what happened/trying to find a way to fix it?

Also, I don't know if it is hilarious or dumb that the official outside of the universe Marvel name for the end of Infinity War is "the snap," but the in-universe world decided to call it the much dumber "the blip."

Have other people called it that or just the Zoomers and Teachers in Spiderman's High School? Because as a teacher that does seem like a thing modern high schoolers would come up with.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

I thought they called it the blip in news chyron as Monica entered the sword headquarters?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Robot Hobo posted:

Agatha was a witch during the Salem Witch Trials, and she approved of them, because she thought killing off the weaker members of her own coven was the best way to make it stronger. Even when she's a "good guy" she's not a nice person.
I always felt weird about Marvel retconning a real historical event to basically say "those innocent people we as a society executed totally had it coming after all."

It's both. The snap is half the people in the universe going away, the blip is them coming back. Both caused a lot of chaos so they're two separate events, even though both were created by separate snaps.

That said, I get why they did this from a filmmaking perspective, but it never had to be a snap. The possessor of the Gauntlet can use the powers at will, so physically preventing Thanos from snapping his fingers shouldn't do anything. He should just be able to think "erase everyone" as soon as he puts it on, and the other snaps shouldn't have been required of Hulk or Stark.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
thinking abt the movie where they just logic Thanos into doubling the resources in the universe instead

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

BrianWilly posted:

It would definitely be really strange if a random person knew the precise details of the Infinity Stones, along with the exact specific sequence of events that went down in Wakanda and could recite them as if it were just common knowledge...but I can handwave it that Jimmy was briefed on a lot of classified info like a lot of federal agents might be, and Darcy is in Thor's groupchat or something.

Or, you know, gps/satellite systems showed poo poo was going down by Avengers compound and all the local/national news orgs sent drones (at the very least) to get footage. Even if the drones didn't survive the whole battle, they probably got at least something worth broadcasting.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Melomane Mallet posted:

Or, you know, gps/satellite systems showed poo poo was going down by Avengers compound and all the local/national news orgs sent drones (at the very least) to get footage. Even if the drones didn't survive the whole battle, they probably got at least something worth broadcasting.

Tony probably has video footage sent to a cloud from his suit, Pepper's, and Rhodey's. Let's assume the same with Vision and that's how people know details of the double Vision death. It works because Tony is terrible.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Protagorean posted:

thinking abt the movie where they just logic Thanos into doubling the resources in the universe instead

Technically, Thanos' actions were logical. Something can be logical, but still be a bad idea or be illogical to someone with a different set of assumptions.

Thanos thought that increasing the resources wouldn't actually teach anyone the lesson that needed to be learned and would just kick the can down the road. He basically had PTSD from what happened on Titan and was "logically" following through with a plan based on preventing the same thing from happening again. He says that on Titan people couldn't dispassionately make decisions about resources and emotions and greed guided them, so increasing resources would just cause more greed and emotions to drive people to further consume.

The actual logic train that might have convinced him would be to mind control all sentient beings to conserve and consume the most minimal amount of resources possible while expanding supply.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Spacebump posted:

Tony probably has video footage sent to a cloud from his suit, Pepper's, and Rhodey's. Let's assume the same with Vision and that's how people know details of the double Vision death. It works because Tony is terrible.

If that's the case any hero with a secret identity is in trouble, because that big final battle was a nonstop parade of people dramatically unmasking themselves over and over again.

Of course the most prominent superhero I can think of that's still active and has a secret identity is Spider-Man and, well...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The whole dimensional nexus is totally setting up Monica getting shunted into a slightly sillier universe in time for NEXTWAVE.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

ShakeZula posted:

If that's the case any hero with a secret identity is in trouble, because that big final battle was a nonstop parade of people dramatically unmasking themselves over and over again.

Of course the most prominent superhero I can think of that's still active and has a secret identity is Spider-Man and, well...

Whoever has access to it could have edited the footage to be a propaganda film with only the best clips of heroes

I wonder if in the MCU, crazy alt right people believe the battle and Thanos were fake. They might claim the all female bit is clear proof. Tony Stark is at the heart of the conspiracy theory instead of Bill Gates. They could blame him for half the people disappearing.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Spacebump posted:

Whoever has access to it could have edited the footage to be a propaganda film with only the best clips of heroes

I wonder if in the MCU, crazy alt right people believe the battle and Thanos were fake. They might claim the all female bit is clear proof. Tony Stark is at the heart of the conspiracy theory instead of Bill Gates. They could blame him for half the people disappearing.

I bet the whole Mysterio incident added a ton of gasoline to the "alien invasion wasn't real, George W Bush did the Snap" conspiracy goons

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

swickles posted:

I was thinking what if when people were unsnapped a bunch of various high level prisoners escaped because their previous cells no longer existed/were manned.
Having more stuff explicitly deal with the consequences of the snap/blip makes me excited. Kind of like when it seemed like the Netflix marvel series were going to deal a bit with the aftermath of the Battle of New York (but instead only made the slightest passing references to other events outside of the show)

Thanos thought that increasing the resources wouldn't actually teach anyone the lesson that needed to be learned and would just kick the can down the road.
I just thought up a dumb analogy for "but why not twice the resources?" never sat well with me.

If you could do one snap to fight SARS-CoV-2 and your choices were to either snap half the virus away or double the amount of people, what would you do?

I'm not saying r/thanosdidnothingwrong, because that fool had a number of choices available, including things that weren't so severe they burn off his hand. But "more resources" on something growing out of control doesn't seem tenable.

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019
only one thing I don't get. why was Wanda so freaked out by seeing the rabbit and the cicada in Ag's house

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Its Chocolate posted:

only one thing I don't get. why was Wanda so freaked out by seeing the rabbit and the cicada in Ag's house

Weirdly real imperfections in her perfect fantasy world

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Sivart13 posted:

Having more stuff explicitly deal with the consequences of the snap/blip makes me excited. Kind of like when it seemed like the Netflix marvel series were going to deal a bit with the aftermath of the Battle of New York (but instead only made the slightest passing references to other events outside of the show)
I'd like to see them address something season 2 of The Leftovers touched on, where there's one town in Texas where nobody disappeared. Leftovers had 2% of the population disappear. With 50% from Thanos, I imagine statistically you'd see a lot of towns where either nobody or everybody got dusted. It'd be cool to see a story with an entire city disappearing except for one person.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Can't wait for this shows Like Skywalker moment to be Mark Hamill as Nightmare

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I think the army person Monica met to get the vehicle from is the skrull she played uno with in Captain Marvel

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Those loving wipes, the getty images watermark and the boom mic dropping into frame... :allears:

God, I gotta rewatch Far From Home again, it was such silly fun even if it does have a lengthy scene where the villain literally just stands and bellows exposition for like 10 minutes straight to a crowd of people who in-universe all have exactly as much information as he does.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Was there an on-screen explanation for this?

Michelle was in New York running a fashion empire (aka a real life reference to the twins) and the characters would stare at the camera when they mentioned this or the Elizabeth & James clothing line. They talk directly to the camera about her in a Thanksgiving episode too. She never appeared in 5 seasons but they did call her voice mail while drunk and her voice wasn't heard. Can't remember any other references but I didn't watch the whole series just read summaries of a lot of it, so I don't know if they mention her in the triple wedding finale (some of the actors who played her friends on the original show are in that one) but by then Aunt Becky was also kicked off the show so lol. The producers/actors have some quotes that seem sort of rude in the press which was weird and probably burnt bridges beyond whatever else was going on, and even tried to get Elizabeth Olsen to play the part. Girl Meets World pulled off the superior sequel series.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

sticklefifer posted:

That said, I get why they did this from a filmmaking perspective, but it never had to be a snap. The possessor of the Gauntlet can use the powers at will, so physically preventing Thanos from snapping his fingers shouldn't do anything. He should just be able to think "erase everyone" as soon as he puts it on, and the other snaps shouldn't have been required of Hulk or Stark.

It's dumb, but I remember the press around the time of the films. They said it was something Thanos thought he needed to do, basically a psychological tick so he wouldn't accidentally access the power. If it was just every thought like "Hey, I'd like some ice cream" and then all of sudden 5 tons of mint chocolate chip landed on him that would be bad for him. Having to snap his fingers allowed him to concentrate on the thing he wanted done. All the heroes were probably doing the same thing.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Sivart13 posted:

I just thought up a dumb analogy for "but why not twice the resources?" never sat well with me.

If you could do one snap to fight SARS-CoV-2 and your choices were to either snap half the virus away or double the amount of people, what would you do?

I'm not saying r/thanosdidnothingwrong, because that fool had a number of choices available, including things that weren't so severe they burn off his hand. But "more resources" on something growing out of control doesn't seem tenable.

Thanks should have snapped his fingers and given everyone in the universe a huge pile of condoms.

That is the actual legitimate cost-effective solution to the problem he wants to solve.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

swickles posted:

I would guess a decent amount. The opening of Spiderman Far From Home has the student made memorial (set to I will Always Love You) featuring the fallen heroes of Iron Man, Nat, and Captain America (who was just probably announced as dead for his cover). They may not know the specifics of Thanos and Infinity Stones, but they know a huge force invaded Earth and half the population mysteriously vanished. Then the Avengers fought another big battle on Earth and half the population came back and the attacking army was the one who mysteriously disappeared. There is definitely a declassified version of events and then classified version which includes time travel and most of the specifics.

edit: this explains pretty succinctly what the public knew happened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HJhubt7D_g

lol at the getty images watermark

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Alchenar posted:

Thanks should have snapped his fingers and given everyone in the universe a huge pile of condoms.

That is the actual legitimate cost-effective solution to the problem he wants to solve.

Give everyone immortality and sterility, just freeze the universe in glass at the moment of the snap.

I mean, realistically the problem is just going to come back if you don't, right? Like, he only ever talks in Malthusian terms of half as many people now have plentiful resources so their lives get better, never about like, everyone learning to live renewably on top of that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They seriously shoulda just gone with him wanting to impress Death

Honestly thought Hela was gonna be his love interest.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Random thought, Wanda is only the second person to have broken Uru metal (Thanos' spinny sword) after Hela (Mjolnir)

That's somewhat cosmic level

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

BurritoJustice posted:

Random thought, Wanda is only the second person to have broken Uru metal (Thanos' spinny sword) after Hela (Mjolnir)

OMEGA LEVEL MUTANT CHAOS MAGIC!

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

BurritoJustice posted:

(Thanos' spinny sword)

The Thanoscopter

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

VectorSigma posted:

The Thanoscopter

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It really isn't worth thinking about Thanos' plan realistically, because realistically wiping out half of all life on Earth and then bringing it back five years later wouldn't be the mild-to-moderate inconvenience the MCU portrays, it would be an extinction-level event that humanity would be lucky to survive with some fraction of post-industrial civilization intact.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If an airplane crashes because the pilots disappeared

Do the people who blipped back reappear where the plane crashed or do they reappear 30,000 feet in the air

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Steve Yun posted:

Do the people who blipped back reappear where the plane crashed or do they reappear 30,000 feet in the air

I would assume that the meme thread on the MCU SA would be full of gifs set to the Weather Girls on the day of the return

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sanguinia posted:

Give everyone immortality and sterility, just freeze the universe in glass at the moment of the snap.

I mean, realistically the problem is just going to come back if you don't, right? Like, he only ever talks in Malthusian terms of half as many people now have plentiful resources so their lives get better, never about like, everyone learning to live renewably on top of that.

Pretty much, because even if everything went perfectly, population growth has no reason to slow if you just disappear half the population. The world's population went from passing 1 billion just after 1800, to 1.6 billion in 1900 to 6 billion in 2000 to 7.8 billion in 2020. Which is despite many nations (mostly richer, more stable nations) having negative population growth with the last few decades when measured through pregnancy alone, because the population growth in poorer nations is so large. If you suddenly disappear half the population of even the places that have stable populations, you're going to destabilize them and cause the population to skyrocket in the next few decades more than likely, so you'll probably end up with roughly similar numbers inside a century (if not less); making the whole thing a pointless exercise. A phenomenon that is likely to follow throughout much of the universe, given how similar other sapient species (which are the ones worth worrying about; since natural selection takes care of the rest) are shown to be to humanity.

BurritoJustice posted:

Was his sword made of Uru metal? Is that just from some background material or what? I don't see anything about it being made of Uru metal on a quick Google at least.

tsob fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Feb 23, 2021

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Steve Yun posted:

something something “Banner accounted for it and no one died horribly in the process of coming back”

Although can we talk about how dumb “the blip” sounds as a descriptor for that event? That’s some Netflix show “we’re just going to refer to it in the vaguest way possible even though everyone knows what we actually mean” poo poo. Just call it The Snap and say people were dusted or something.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
the Dusting sounds like Thanos used the gauntlet to fart in everyone's face simultaneously

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Big Mean Jerk posted:

something something “Banner accounted for it and no one died horribly in the process of coming back”

Although can we talk about how dumb “the blip” sounds as a descriptor for that event? That’s some Netflix show “we’re just going to refer to it in the vaguest way possible even though everyone knows what we actually mean” poo poo. Just call it The Snap and say people were dusted or something.

The Snap is already used to refer to everyone disappearing, so they need a different name for everyone coming back and something like "the Unsnap" or "the Unsnappening" sounds even dumber. The Blip sounds like the kind of dull but simple name people would settle on for something like that, honestly.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Protagorean posted:

the Dusting sounds like Thanos used the gauntlet to fart in everyone's face simultaneously

I mean it kinda fits.

thanos cropdusted the galaxy and hosed off to make soup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

You can never have too many spikes

Chuck in super agility as well and we're halfway to a Squirrel Girl origin