Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The Bloop posted:

My mom grew up in Punxsutawney and left in her early twenties and hadn't been back for 40 years until someone died

She said it was worse in a lot of ways, performatively rural, when before it was just actually the sticks. Definitely willful ignorance trump country now

Forgive me if this is a rude question. But what do you mean by the bolded part?

People wearing extra big cowboy hats and chewing on stalks of wheat? Peppering conversations with "Y'all"s, ""Howdy stranger"s and "You aint from round here are ya boy?"? Does it also mean they are performatively conservative/racist/homophobic/xenophobic as well? Or something else?

Again, sorry if this is a stupid, or rude question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

colonelwest posted:

The table is round – to show our everlasting concern.

The cloth is white – symbolizing the purity of their motives when answering the call to serve.

The single red rose reminds us of the lives of these Americans….and their loved ones and friends who keep the faith, while seeking answers.

The yellow ribbon symbolizes our continued uncertainty, hope for their return and determination to account for them.

A slice of lemon reminds us of their bitter fate, captured or missing in a foreign land.

A pinch of salt symbolizes the tears of our missing and their families.

The lighted candle reflects our hope for their return.

The Bible represents the strength gained through faith to sustain us and those lost from our country, founded as one nation under God.

The glass is inverted – to symbolize their inability to share a toast.

The chairs are/chair is empty – they are missing…………….. (moment of silence)

It’s much more a relic from the Vietnam era and concern over POW/MIA service members, than it is a memorial to those KIA. And the POW/MIA stuff was often tied to post-Vietnam conspiracy theories about the Vietnamese still secretly holding onto US prisoners after the the end of the war. Though a civilian defense contractor/Navy Veteran is still being held by the Taliban right now.

Extreme passover seder energy

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BrigadierSensible posted:

People wearing extra big cowboy hats and chewing on stalks of wheat? Peppering conversations with "Y'all"s, ""Howdy stranger"s and "You aint from round here are ya boy?"? Does it also mean they are performatively conservative/racist/homophobic/xenophobic as well? Or something else?

No it's not stupid or rude and I could have been more clear

When she was growing up in the 50s it was rural in the sense that her family was the only one on her street that had indoor plumbing. People had outhouses. She did not see a non-white person until high school. People ate possum and bear and poo poo because they just hunted that stuff and there wasn't a supply of much else, certainly no seafood or anything. It was a one horse town. It looked NOTHING like the city shown in Groundhog's Day.

Now it looks more like that, they have national chain restaurants and supermarkets and it's just like everywhere else in a red county, but there is still crushing poverty and a massive opioid crisis.

But the people she interacted with ACTED more "country" than they did when she was in high school with them. People used to have guns because that's just what you did, you hunted. Now they have guns because WHERE YOU FROM BOY. They never had confederate flags because they're in the loving north, but now they're everywhere because the redneck lifestyle has taken hard hold. People had much stronger accents and played them up at her.

People in rural places have been intentionally pitted against urban folks so those in power have a scapegoat for why their lives suck and a lot of them buy into it HARD. It's not an "act" exactly, it's a choice to concentrate and rarify a certain type of ignorance and revel in it.

Juando290
Apr 22, 2007

You stopped toe curlin in the hot tub cause you heard sperms stay alive in there and you have seen Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles enough times to know how that story ends.

ansel autisms posted:

these are good. i took a picture in paisley in mosquito season once, had my hoodie held tight against everything and i was just getting swarmed with mosquitoes - absolutely covered. all over my arms, constantly swatting them out of my face, pure misery. add that to the permanent smell of alkaline lakes in the air and it's a wonder why anyone bothers to live there

I used to drive through there for work years ago. Day would start in Eugene, drive to Medford/Ashland, then across the mountains to K-falls, then to Lakeview, paisley, La Pine and then back to Eugene. Almost 600 miles round trip for four stops. 15 hour day for less than 5 hours of "work". Paisley just seems like a twilight zone location to have a community. The closest town of note is 100 miles away...and yeah...desert scrub brush in all directions for miles. I hated that drive (except for the lack of law enforcement out there...can you say 120 mph in a toyota matrix?) I am unclear on where the people there work and make money to buy anything. about 250 people live there. From Wikipedia

"The median income for a household in the city was $28,214, and the median income for a family was $30,625. Males had a median income of $21,250 versus $28,125 for females. The per capita income for the city was $16,224. About 13.0% of families and 16.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 25.0% of those under the age of eighteen and 8.1% of those 65 or over."

The Bloop posted:

When she was growing up in the 50s it was rural in the sense that her family was the only one on her street that had indoor plumbing. People had outhouses. She did not see a non-white person until high school. People ate possum and bear and poo poo because they just hunted that stuff and there wasn't a supply of much else, certainly no seafood or anything. It was a one horse town. It looked NOTHING like the city shown in Groundhog's Day.

Now it looks more like that, they have national chain restaurants and supermarkets and it's just like everywhere else in a red county, but there is still crushing poverty and a massive opioid crisis.

But the people she interacted with ACTED more "country" than they did when she was in high school with them. People used to have guns because that's just what you did, you hunted. Now they have guns because WHERE YOU FROM BOY. They never had confederate flags because they're in the loving north, but now they're everywhere because the redneck lifestyle has taken hard hold. People had much stronger accents and played them up at her.

People in rural places have been intentionally pitted against urban folks so those in power have a scapegoat for why their lives suck and a lot of them buy into it HARD. It's not an "act" exactly, it's a choice to concentrate and rarify a certain type of ignorance and revel in it.

Very similar to the town I grew up in...there is no historical reason for someone living in the west of Oregon to have a southern drawl or fly the confederate flag...but here we are.

Juando290 fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 22, 2021

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Oregon is a weird place that I love to death.

Any time we go to Detroit Lake we have to pass Little Sweden, a "town" of 2.5 buildings that I think is completely abandoned.

Juando290
Apr 22, 2007

You stopped toe curlin in the hot tub cause you heard sperms stay alive in there and you have seen Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles enough times to know how that story ends.

Inzombiac posted:

Any time we go to Detroit Lake we have to pass Little Sweden, a "town" of 2.5 buildings that I think is completely abandoned.

That was a functioning gas station until 1993 when the owner (91 years old) was murdered there. the guy who killed him tried to burn the place down too but was unsuccessful. Something to think about next time you drive by.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Inzombiac posted:

How much for the taco? It's a nice shade.

E: nm, it's just a vanity lift.

Also that truck next to the poo poo house. Priorities.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The Bloop posted:

Thank you for the explanation.

So kind of "country" as an act of self-identification, as opposed to just living out in the country.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Thank you for the explanation.

So kind of "country" as an act of self-identification, as opposed to just living out in the country.

Yeah and everything that comes with that. Performative ignorance, bigotry, etc

NOT saying all rural folks are ignorant bigots, far from it. But these types idolize a false idea of what it means to be rural and that involves guns, rolling coal, thumping bibles, and saying the n word. Essentially the people that "chud" has been used to describe recently.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Every time I read new posts in this thread I go on to google maps looking for random tiny towns. Some of them actually look nice!...if there was a supermarket anywhere within 50 kms of them

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Juando290 posted:

I used to drive through there for work years ago. Day would start in Eugene, drive to Medford/Ashland, then across the mountains to K-falls, then to Lakeview, paisley, La Pine and then back to Eugene. Almost 600 miles round trip for four stops. 15 hour day for less than 5 hours of "work". Paisley just seems like a twilight zone location to have a community. The closest town of note is 100 miles away...and yeah...desert scrub brush in all directions for miles. I hated that drive (except for the lack of law enforcement out there...can you say 120 mph in a toyota matrix?) I am unclear on where the people there work and make money to buy anything. about 250 people live there. From Wikipedia

i love places like that, though. the american west is (mostly) unique in that regard, just being able to drive forever between disparate "communities" that are full of people who exist there only because it allows them to be further from anywhere else, see: christmas valley

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

LifeSunDeath posted:

My sister lives in a small Oregon town and I started google mapping around it and noticed all these little communities in the middle of nowhere between mountains and the coast and thought like how the gently caress do people live out here. Some of the towns are 20 miles from any sort of gas pump, and there don't seem to be hardly any businesses in them, so I'm like how do people get supplies?

Like all these litte names on the map, there's maybe 4 houses in each and no stores

I'm Chitwood.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

The Bloop posted:

My mom grew up in Punxsutawney and left in her early twenties and hadn't been back for 40 years until someone died

She said it was worse in a lot of ways, performatively rural, when before it was just actually the sticks. Definitely willful ignorance trump country now

"Performatively rural" is an excellent descriptive phrase. I know exactly what you mean.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Accretionist posted:

Fun Fact: In Oregon, you're not allowed to pump your own gas.

I was very confused until I watched the orientation film:

https://i.imgur.com/Nh5ZoqD.mp4

Really cleared things up.

I like it, forces the gas companies to put some paychecks back into the communities instead of purely siphoning their money away, and our gas is still cheaper than a lot of places

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

my school was full of rich kids who pretended to be good ol boys while wearing $200 boots and driving gigantic new pickup trucks so I'd say performatively rural is a good definition

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Robo Reagan posted:

my school was full of rich kids who pretended to be good ol boys while wearing $200 boots and driving gigantic new pickup trucks so I'd say performatively rural is a good definition

The word everyone is looking for is "cosplay".

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I saw some acquaintances of mine from the military sharing this on Facebook.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Anyway on the lighter side of small towns, my hometown of Perkasie, PA has the oldest Christmas tree lighting ceremony in the country (continuous for 111 years), a distinction they desperately cling to and hype. In recent years it’s actually grown into a pretty big deal, and thousands of people from around the area come for a big old cheesy time.

This year they had to live stream it. And the two dads who usually MC it, had a good time being corny.

https://youtu.be/O9bnkEInT1s

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 23, 2021

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CPL593H posted:

The word everyone is looking for is "cosplay".

Cosplayers are playing

Even the civil war guys take that poo poo off and go home eventually

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

colonelwest posted:

Safe from half of them rebelling against it at the behest of a charismatic leading figure?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

colonelwest posted:

Everytime a soldier gets blown up an angel gets its wings. :911::angel:

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

colonelwest posted:

Anyway on the lighter side of small towns, my hometown of Perkasie, PA has the oldest Christmas tree lighting ceremony in the country (continuous for 111 years), a distinction they desperately cling to and hype

I see your tree lighting and raise you one York Xmas Steam whistle of pure doom, it's totally surreal to hear irl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHYRCGhDUi4

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Clavavisage posted:

I see your tree lighting and raise you one York Xmas Steam whistle of pure doom, it's totally surreal to hear irl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHYRCGhDUi4

:krakentoot:

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

colonelwest posted:

Fits the last stanza of the Marine Corps Hymn:

quote:

If the Army and the Navy
Ever look on Heaven's scenes,
They will find the streets are guarded
By United States Marines.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Dear Prudence posted:

Fits the last stanza of the Marine Corps Hymn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQtFtyrZ-IA

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

colonelwest posted:

lol these people are deranged

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
My own tiny bit of Americana encountered today, in England, 55 minutes on the train from central London:

Popped into a McDonald's drive-thru to solve my grease-and-salt needs, to be behind an overly large SUV of a model not sold in Europe with Florida plates and a dealer sticker from some tiny town near Tampa, and a Baby on Board sign! And no amber turn signals, just red ones shared with the brake lights - why, America, why?

This bit of the country has a lot of air force bases, some of which are leased to the USAF so around there you do find these odd 'Little Americas' but I've never seen an American car here in the middle of town.

The big base 20 miles south of the city is still a USAF site but with a much smaller presence since it's continually being scheduled for closure then something happens in the world that makes the Pentagon rethink and keep a dozen bored Americans sitting around dusting the place.

When it had thousands of US serviceman it had a brilliant bit of Americana right outside the main gate, which was a sci-fi themed diner built in the shape of a flying saucer. It was called The Megatron and apparently it had a boarding ramp, a computerised ordering system and every hour it did a 'takeoff sequence'.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Lol turn signals are only decorative. Nobody uses those fuckers

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

TotalLossBrain posted:

Lol turn signals are only decorative. Nobody uses those fuckers

Its nobody's business where i'm going.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol that's like a midsize SUV at best

Not that your observations aren't correct, mind you

also lol that your drivethru menu is tiny text and not a hundred big screen TVs with full color pictures of all the food

The Bloop fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 23, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

colonelwest posted:

or like Hitler without his SS! So true!!

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Why would heaven's streets need guarding anyway? Is it just busywork to keep the marines out of the celestial crayon supply?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Accretionist posted:

Oh hey, I read an article about that valley.

Oh hey, I've wake boarded in Lake Couer d'Alene. Several times, in fact. That's... cool...

redgubbinz posted:

Why would heaven's streets need guarding anyway? Is it just busywork to keep the marines out of the celestial crayon supply?

In case some of THOSE PEOPLE get in by accident, obviously

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u17ll043Ld8

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Thanksgiving dot jpg

:shrug:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

The Bloop posted:

Thanksgiving dot jpg

:shrug:

FUCKIN FAT UGLY MURICINZ AMIRITE!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

wesleywillis posted:

FUCKIN FAT UGLY MURICINZ AMIRITE!!!

drat. so right