Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I just took my first big voyage in a Karve to set up a forward base near the second boss. It probably took longer than just walking there, but I found a dope stone tower on a tiny peninsula that's super close to the altar and I generally just enjoy mapping the coast.

Sidenote - more cartography tools are definitely on my wishlist. I want all the symbols to plop down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, just wondering - is there any point to keep stone towers/ruins marked on the map after looting whatever's in the chest(s)? I'm pretty early on and don't have a stonecutter yet, so I'm just wondering if those big stone bricks will potentially come in handy, is all. (Or, when destroyed, will they just revert to ordinary stone?)

Also drat, how big do islands get, generally? I started off on an archipelago with a mass of small islands with narrow straits between them, with one large (well, large enough to be a decent chunk of the map) but I wouldn't mind actually having some sort of continent/mainland to explore, too!

By the way, if anyone has tips on how to get a non-raft watercraft ASAP, I would greatly appreciate it. I like charting out the islands in my region, but drat it's cumbersome!

They'll revert to stone. I keep them marked because sometimes you just need a place to dry off or sleep.

Bronze nails are the key to your first real boat and oh god you did that all on a raft you poor, poor thing

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, just wondering - is there any point to keep stone towers/ruins marked on the map after looting whatever's in the chest(s)? I'm pretty early on and don't have a stonecutter yet, so I'm just wondering if those big stone bricks will potentially come in handy, is all. (Or, when destroyed, will they just revert to ordinary stone?)

Also drat, how big do islands get, generally? I started off on an archipelago with a mass of small islands with narrow straits between them, with one large (well, large enough to be a decent chunk of the map) but I wouldn't mind actually having some sort of continent/mainland to explore, too!

By the way, if anyone has tips on how to get a non-raft watercraft ASAP, I would greatly appreciate it. I like charting out the islands in my region, but drat it's cumbersome!

If you left click the marker it'll put red line or red x over it so you can keep track of which ones you've completed and haven't.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I really hope they can add ores (visually as an automated animation, or actually controlled by players). The longboats really need it.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Major Isoor posted:

If I have iron on the boat, I like to make a portal back to base and disassemble the stone towers for the rock because I'm too lazy to mine.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

mastershakeman posted:

Hey it wouldn't be a Linux script without a few typos and having to delete [url] brackets after it screws up the wget.

Oh drat it, I think that explains the wget error one goon was having. Stupid auto formatting that is usually actually really helpful.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Warbird posted:

Oh drat it, I think that explains the wget error one goon was having. Stupid auto formatting that is usually actually really helpful.

idk if it's a consequence of me hackifying my own installation together, but i also had to overwrite common.cfg with _default.cfg before I had a full config file to edit.

had a little trouble getting another goon's world save uploaded to the instance, but I had him add my public key to it and I was able to sftp them up there for him, but would be nice if I could get him connected via winscp or powershell sftp with the public key, unfortunately i'm a bit lacking in the identity management department.

i think i'll build a cronjob and have him create a folder on his google drive that i'll mount with ocamlfuse and just back up the world files to weekly.

Fuzzysocksucker
Aug 20, 2005
Saw this over on reddit. If you're really stuck trying to find the trader: Valheim Merchant Finder. It can either give you a general hint like 'roughly 8km west from a circle of chained rocks', or display a map for you (its not the actual map, just a white circle with black dot.)

My trader really is at -7800, 2000 so I guess it works?

You could spend days sailing around and never find him so this is super helpful.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

What in the hell is the console command for core wood???

Corewood, CoreWood both do not work.

Fuzzysocksucker
Aug 20, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

What in the hell is the console command for core wood???

Corewood, CoreWood both do not work.

RoundLog

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Are you loving kidding me

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
lmao :five:

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Lesson loving learned.

Never, ever, log out in a boat.

You will log back in floating in the water about 20 feet from it.

And the ladder on the loving carve doesn't loving work in the slightest bit of water.

When you die in the water where does your body end up.

This is loving aggravating.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Me and the boys finally knocked over Bonemass, went silver hunting, and now I have a fancy cape. drat it feels good to be a viking.

I'm the two handed weapons guy, iron battle axe and sledge so far. Shame there's no weapons for the upper tiers of material.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Demon_Corsair posted:

Lesson loving learned.

And the ladder on the loving carve doesn't loving work in the slightest bit of water.

Your tombstone will be floating on the water. Sail up next to it and you can reclaim your stuff.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

gently caress it double post

With enough of the raise ground tool, could you make a base that is effectively underground?

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I need a bit of direction on the fourth boss. All my silver gear is upgraded and I'm itchin to go to the plains. I've found some dragon eggs in the mountain area that I'm assuming are used to summon the boss, but I'm not sure where to put them. Is there a rune that will point me in the direction of it like the other bosses?

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Echophonic posted:

Me and the boys finally knocked over Bonemass, went silver hunting, and now I have a fancy cape. drat it feels good to be a viking.

I'm the two handed weapons guy, iron battle axe and sledge so far. Shame there's no weapons for the upper tiers of material.

Atgeirs are 2 handed

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Finally found a swamp on our server, but it turns out it's tiny. It's amazing for food of course, but aside from a temple looking thing submerged in the water, there seems to be no iron around at all? Any suggestions on how to find more, or do I just hop in the Karve and sail around?

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

PittTheElder posted:

there seems to be no iron around at all?

PittTheElder posted:

a temple looking thing submerged in the water

But for finding more swamps, it's sailing time

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

CRAYON posted:

Is there a rune that will point me in the direction of it like the other bosses?

Yes, sometimes you'll find ruined structures in the mountain biome, and occasionally these will have glyphs in them that mark the location, just like with the other biomes. I got bored and frustrated after searching fruitlessly for one in 5 different mountain regions, though, and eventually just console cheated and flew around until I found one. In my case it was in a ruined tower.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Demon_Corsair posted:

Lesson loving learned.

I just had this happen because the server I was playing on runs on someone's laptop and randomly shut down/disconnected.

I was too bitter to build a new boat to recover my stuff, but it was faiiirly close to my base and it turns out that your stamina resets when you log out and log back in, so I just repeatedly swam a couple meters and relogged and was at my floating gravestone within like 10 reconnects at most. :shepface:

CRAYON posted:

I need a bit of direction on the fourth boss. All my silver gear is upgraded and I'm itchin to go to the plains. I've found some dragon eggs in the mountain area that I'm assuming are used to summon the boss, but I'm not sure where to put them. Is there a rune that will point me in the direction of it like the other bosses?

Yes, the rune is also in mountain areas. We found it on our third or fourth mountain.

Inzombiac posted:

With enough of the raise ground tool, could you make a base that is effectively underground?

You can't create terrain overhangs, so I guess you could have a base that is lower than the surrounding ground level, but you won't get a natural ceiling that way.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Generation Internet posted:

I just took my first big voyage in a Karve to set up a forward base near the second boss. It probably took longer than just walking there, but I found a dope stone tower on a tiny peninsula that's super close to the altar and I generally just enjoy mapping the coast.

Sidenote - more cartography tools are definitely on my wishlist. I want all the symbols to plop down.

Wait you guys are getting The Elder on the same landmass??

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

holy shiiiiit whoever said that bonemass is a gear check is mostly right

I made an iron mace for it after like 150 arrows did nothing and my axe was worthless. poison resist mead made a lot of it easy but the worst thing far and away was not having stam, that was the first fight i *really* wish I had made stam mead for, definitely preparing for the next boss more thoroughly.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

beat the first boss not too long ago, and started building an extension on my house so i can have my smelter sitting in the middle of it. kind of annoyed that i'm 1 surtling core too short to make a charcoal kiln as well so i guess i can't even use the thing yet due to only having like 2 charcoal. the game seems pretty fun.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Sab Sabbington posted:

But for finding more swamps, it's sailing time

about the temple though, is it supposed to be completely submerged? Like there's no way to enter it, the only thing above water are four torches. Though upon further inspection it might not be a sunken whatever at all, maybe just a bunch of torches around a runestone?

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I went on a sailing expedition to try to find the merchant, and ended up beaching myself on a basically invisible sandbar near a plains biome at night-time in thick rear end fog. You can guess what killed me seconds later. And again on my attempt to recover the boat.

Before I enlist my friends to help with the corpse run and boat reclamation, are two people in iron tier gear and reasonable food prepared enough to kill 1-2 deathsquitos that are almost certainly camping my corpse? I was wearing disposable leather armor on the first death and naked the second time, so I have no good sense of how hard they'll hit in our actual gear.

kalthir
Mar 15, 2012

pik_d posted:

Wait you guys are getting The Elder on the same landmass??

Had the same thing happen on my seed, but then I lucked out and found a runestone for a 2nd summoning location much closer to my starting area.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
this is a great game but I am bad at it

killed first boss
built raft
sailed to a Black Forest island
saw a purple glowy mist on the shore so gently caress yeah I went see what it was all about because why would I not
got stuck on rocks
got killed by a shaman something and a bunch of his friends

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I really want an item that lets you summon an enemy invasion on demand. Sometimes you just wanna blast some poo poo with the boys and test out those new base defenses.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Speaking of, what are the rules for where monsters spawn? We had a nice palisade up around our complex but then three trolls spawned in the garden...

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

isaboo posted:

this is a great game but I am bad at it

killed first boss
built raft
sailed to a Black Forest island
saw a purple glowy mist on the shore so gently caress yeah I went see what it was all about because why would I not
got stuck on rocks
got killed by a shaman something and a bunch of his friends

Yeah I died to them a few times before I realized that you literally can just walk/run away from them if there are too many. They don't seem to have the speed/pathing to keep up.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Echophonic posted:

Yeah I was a bit disappointed there's no black metal 2-hand hammer/club. Hoping they will add some later on. I loved using the Stagbreaker and I love using Iron sledge, since it's good CC, but for fighting single, fast mobs like the Fuling bastards, it feels a bit too low on damage. Plus the parry is really good against them so I usually bust out my Mj... Frostnir and the shield.

Speaking about Fuling, in my solo world I wanted to set up a barley enterprise for some better foods (it takes so much barley for just one fish & chips or a blood pudding!) so I made a small base on section on the plains where I saw a few fuling villages. That turned out to be an island, but I managed to raid a few villages by taking it INCREDIBLY careful sniping them with a bow and then meleeing if a straggler managed to run to me. Needle arrows really work well there.

But once I made the mistake of going too close and the whole village aggroed me at once, maybe 7-8 of them and promptly wiped the floor with me, losing me again hours worth of skill progress. But from that trip I managed to get over 100+ barley so I'll at least now have enough to make some good foods. If only getting blueberries for jam was a bit easier and they spawned as much as raspberries!

PittTheElder posted:

about the temple though, is it supposed to be completely submerged? Like there's no way to enter it, the only thing above water are four torches. Though upon further inspection it might not be a sunken whatever at all, maybe just a bunch of torches around a runestone?

You should be able to tell, the sunken crypt is .. basically what it sounds like. A small temple leading underground. You'll need the swamp key to open it, so keep it with you.

Unfortunately getting those seems to be completely up to luck, even a bigger swamp on my solo map only had one of those and I haven't found any other big swamp location yet. Keep sailing, I think the rule of thumb is that the bigger the swamp is, the more likely it's gonna be to have crypts. Those small coastal swamps IMO don't seem to have crypts (at least on my maps). A good idea doing this kinda exploration is to make one end portal to your base and then keep ingredients for another with you so you can always get one done if you manage to find yourself in some swamp halfway across the world.

Later on when you beat boss 3 (Bonemass) you'll get an item which shows you underground silver veins in the mountains but can also be used to dig up iron from the ground in the swamps without going to crypts.

The crypts are where it's at, though. It's not uncommon to find a chest filled with like 20 iron scraps or plenty of dig opportunities in one crypt. Just gotta be lucky to find 'em!

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Feb 23, 2021

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Man, our community is building some real cool poo poo and I'm going to be upset when big updates make world saves incompatible

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

God, I love this game.

I'm playing on a server with some discord friends. I'm pretty further than them (just need to kill the last boss) so I'm mostly building stuff and helping them make new camps and such.

One of them found a narrow strip of land and decided they were going to make a canal. We then decided it was a super cool location and going to be our main base.

Another player decided to build a bridge over the canal

Their bridge was nice but asymmetrical due to uneven surfaces and also they couldn't support the very middle so it ended up being connected by a single log.

I asked permission to redo their bridge so that a longship could fit under it also properly supported it using stone.

I got a bit more ambitious and decided I wanted to make a boathouse underneath it and then I just kept going

the (mostly) finished thing

It's a bit of a tight fit but longships can take some damage, plus it's so easy to repair with a workbench nearby.

God, I love building in this game. I hope we get more pieces sooner than later.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Scoss posted:

Before I enlist my friends to help with the corpse run and boat reclamation, are two people in iron tier gear and reasonable food prepared enough to kill 1-2 deathsquitos that are almost certainly camping my corpse? I was wearing disposable leather armor on the first death and naked the second time, so I have no good sense of how hard they'll hit in our actual gear.

They do hit extremely hard, but the happy path is to kill them without getting hit, while they're flying at you in a straight line. I wouldn't count on surviving more than one unblocked hit, but maybe I'm too pessimistic.

Johnny Joestar posted:

beat the first boss not too long ago, and started building an extension on my house so i can have my smelter sitting in the middle of it. kind of annoyed that i'm 1 surtling core too short to make a charcoal kiln as well so i guess i can't even use the thing yet due to only having like 2 charcoal. the game seems pretty fun.

You probably want to destroy the smelter, build a kiln, generate a stack or two of coal, destroy the kiln, build a smelter, smelt, etc?

Vanadium fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Feb 23, 2021

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Drunk in Space posted:

Yes, sometimes you'll find ruined structures in the mountain biome, and occasionally these will have glyphs in them that mark the location, just like with the other biomes. I got bored and frustrated after searching fruitlessly for one in 5 different mountain regions, though, and eventually just console cheated and flew around until I found one. In my case it was in a ruined tower.

Thank you, the ruined building tip helped. I wasn't expecting it to be inside.

As soon as I got back to my base I got raided by drakes and they killed all my boars. Bye bye piggies. Guess I should build them a roof next time.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I'm glad you can't take metal bars/ores through portals. It'd be convenient but it keeps the world big. Someone on a far scouting trip finally found a swamp full of crypts far from home and built a portal so we slowly cleared it. Then we loaded up our longship with 300 iron and headed for home in a crazy rear end journey made epic by our precious cargo.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Is there a secret to boats? I parked 3 rafts on a coastline (don't judge, I kept getting killed) and when I returned not one was still there. My improved boat has stayed without issue. Do rafts just float off? It seemed like they had been staying in place while not being used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

sometimes they drift off but usually theres a storm or something and they get wrecked. Rafts in particular don't have a ton of hp.