Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Nessa posted:

I just got around to playing Crown Tundra and I’ve been enjoying it a lot more than Isle of Armor. I like the story, I had no idea I’d be able to catch a sweet looking ghost horse and it seems a bit harder for me to get lost. I still wish there was a mini map, but the Crown Tundra area seems much better designed. I love the tall trees and the ruins and the little cemetery. There’s some real gorgeous scenery here.

I just wish I could use these reins of unity to ride my ghost horse myself. I want to gallop through Galar on all my pretty ponies instead of ride this bicycle while wearing a goofy outfit.

I too want to ride my ghost horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.

Nessa posted:

I like the story, I had no idea I’d be able to catch a sweet looking ghost horse and it seems a bit harder for me to get lost. I still wish there was a mini map, but the Crown Tundra area seems much better designed. I love the tall trees and the ruins and the little cemetery. There’s some real gorgeous scenery here.

I just wish I could use these reins of unity to ride my ghost horse myself. I want to gallop through Galar on all my pretty ponies instead of ride this bicycle while wearing a goofy outfit.

Funny, I find Crown Tundra (in particular Giant's Bed) wayyy harder to navigate than the Isle of Armor. Granted, I get lost all the time in both, but it took me a really long time to find the specific empty field for the ghost carrot.

What about the plot do you like better than the other expansion? Isle of Armor's premise is a little silly but the whole Calyrex stuff felt like a giant fetch quest to me, and Crown Tundra feels kind of lonely compared to competing against/helping the wackos hanging around the isle.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Crosspeice posted:

How many people actually played the Battle Frontier outside of the Factory, aka, the only facility you didn't need a competitive team to actually attempt?
Ha, that's the only one I didn't play, because it doesn't give you reward ribbons. What's the point of playing the Factory? I guess BP, if you're good at it, but there's probably quicker ways to farm BP.

Nessa posted:

I just got around to playing Crown Tundra and I’ve been enjoying it a lot more than Isle of Armor. I like the story, I had no idea I’d be able to catch a sweet looking ghost horse and it seems a bit harder for me to get lost. I still wish there was a mini map, but the Crown Tundra area seems much better designed. I love the tall trees and the ruins and the little cemetery. There’s some real gorgeous scenery here.

I booted around the Crown Tundra pretty regularly and I only just discovered the Spiritomb Tombstone. I'll be really disappointed if Gen 9 isn't entirely set up like this, but yeah, even just a North arrow would really be a world of improvement.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Diet Poison posted:

Ha, that's the only one I didn't play, because it doesn't give you reward ribbons. What's the point of playing the Factory? I guess BP, if you're good at it, but there's probably quicker ways to farm BP.

I booted around the Crown Tundra pretty regularly and I only just discovered the Spiritomb Tombstone. I'll be really disappointed if Gen 9 isn't entirely set up like this, but yeah, even just a North arrow would really be a world of improvement.

Personally I'm hoping the DLCs were nintendo getting their sea legs for a new system. Sword and Shield is truly tragic in some respects because the characters were some of the best in the series but the set up was clunky and the story non existent (worst villain the series has ever produced). I'm praying that with a little more development time they can marry the concept of fun characters with a well developed area/path set up. If Glimwood tangle for example was the size of Isle of Armor my mind would've been blown.

The more that i think about it the less I care about *Exciting new battle concept!* and the more I just want a properly developed open world.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Zuzie posted:

Even this had issues: having to fill your friends list with random people just because they had a good pool of monsters. If you happened to have a bad pool? Why the hell would they want you on their friend list? Oh and you can only have like 100 friends, so there are other games and their multiplayer feature to consider. They also had to have beaten the game to unlock the third Pokemon in each slot and they had to be online with you at the same time in order for monsters with Hidden Abilities to spawn.

My save data for Pokemon Y got corrupted and the worst aspect is that even if I did start a new file and got to the area with the Friend Safari, it will never be as good as it was back in 2013 because virtually no one on my friends list is still playing Pokemon X and Y!

Goons are always the answer. Got my first ever shiny from a goons friend safari. Meis the shiny Gardevoir (and his clones) will live forever.

Don’t they only have to have a save file or something to open the third slot?

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

MorningMoon posted:

Well. I guess I'm kinda glad to finally know why every single time I reached the White Forest it'd be empty or have like 2 dudes.

I played White for the first time this year and it was totally empty too. I assumed it was just something like entralink or whatever that required the servers to be up.

Random question, did xtransceiver work between White and White 2?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Nessa posted:

Crown Tundra is the legit high point of Sword/Shield and I really hope it's the blueprint for the franchise going into the future.

(And gods, oh gods, I hope Dynamax Adventures return in some way.)

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Vandar posted:

Crown Tundra is the legit high point of Sword/Shield and I really hope it's the blueprint for the franchise going into the future.

(And gods, oh gods, I hope Dynamax Adventures return in some way.)

Personally I prefer the characters we got in Isle of Armor but the fact they went out of their way to give a legendary a detailed and endearing personality is always a good thing. Calyrex is kinda an "eh" on the design scale but he does prove to be surprisingly adorable and goofy which is a lot more fun than loving Eternatus.

If we got scenes of murder dragon's thoughts being excavated and imprisoned for energy harvesting purposes that would've done light years for making it an interesting pokemon.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

Funny, I find Crown Tundra (in particular Giant's Bed) wayyy harder to navigate than the Isle of Armor. Granted, I get lost all the time in both, but it took me a really long time to find the specific empty field for the ghost carrot.

What about the plot do you like better than the other expansion? Isle of Armor's premise is a little silly but the whole Calyrex stuff felt like a giant fetch quest to me, and Crown Tundra feels kind of lonely compared to competing against/helping the wackos hanging around the isle.

I guess I just enjoyed the fetch quest more because it was in the service of getting a cool horse. I also adored Peony’s crayon drawings for the legendary hints. They were very charming.

Isle of Armor felt more like “here’s a bear, now grind it to level 70 and get completely lost in a forest.” It felt kinda anti-climactic to me.

I enjoyed hunting for the cemetery to plant the ghost carrot. It felt like some legitimate and exciting exploration to me. :)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Flopsy posted:

Personally I prefer the characters we got in Isle of Armor but the fact they went out of their way to give a legendary a detailed and endearing personality is always a good thing. Calyrex is kinda an "eh" on the design scale but he does prove to be surprisingly adorable and goofy which is a lot more fun than loving Eternatus.

If we got scenes of murder dragon's thoughts being excavated and imprisoned for energy harvesting purposes that would've done light years for making it an interesting pokemon.

Isle's characters were slightly better, but the bulk of Tundra was more fun and interesting to me. Calyrex's questline was interesting and had a great climax, the hunt for the Regi temples was fairly neat, the actual layout of the Tundra was more interesting and things like the Spiritomb keystone and Keldeo event were fun surprises. I liked the great big Dynamax tree too and the surprise when you shake it enough caught me off-guard.

(And Dynamax Adventures are better than anything on the island.)

In comparison, the Isle had a short story that was just, like...'here's a bear, go level it up, alright fight me aaaaand we're done.' It was much less interesting to me.

I will say that Isle seems more like it's meant to be played during the main campaign of Sword/Shield, and not as a post-game thing. Getting Kubfu early on and raising it up over the course of the gym story feels like it would be more natural than grabbing it on the Isle and quickly rushing to level and befriend it. When I eventually replay the game, I'll probably do things that way and see how it feels.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Vandar posted:

Isle's characters were slightly better, but the bulk of Tundra was more fun and interesting to me. Calyrex's questline was interesting and had a great climax, the hunt for the Regi temples was fairly neat, the actual layout of the Tundra was more interesting and things like the Spiritomb keystone and Keldeo event were fun surprises. I liked the great big Dynamax tree too and the surprise when you shake it enough caught me off-guard.

(And Dynamax Adventures are better than anything on the island.)

In comparison, the Isle had a short story that was just, like...'here's a bear, go level it up, alright fight me aaaaand we're done.' It was much less interesting to me.

I will say that Isle seems more like it's meant to be played during the main campaign of Sword/Shield, and not as a post-game thing. Getting Kubfu early on and raising it up over the course of the gym story feels like it would be more natural than grabbing it on the Isle and quickly rushing to level and befriend it. When I eventually replay the game, I'll probably do things that way and see how it feels.

I agree. And think about it, if Gen 9 could actually have these kind of events play out organically rather than added on later as DLC it would be amazing.

Speaking of which anybody have any preferences for the next region? I'm kinda hoping for some where a little less european like Mexico or Egypt.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Flopsy posted:

I agree. And think about it, if Gen 9 could actually have these kind of events play out organically rather than added on later as DLC it would be amazing.

The DLC really does feel like they've learned how to play with the engine quest/story-wise now after SWSH was such a barebones this-is-our-first-3D-game feel, so I'm hoping for the same.

Flopsy posted:

Speaking of which anybody have any preferences for the next region? I'm kinda hoping for some where a little less european like Mexico or Egypt.

*slams palms on desk* Australia! Give us bloody PokeAustralia! :rant:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The situation is roo rife for jokes with PokeAustralia, so I'm shooting for PokeScandinavia instead.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Australia is so obvious I think it'll be a long time before we officially get to PokeAustralia.

Greece, India, or Brazil could be interesting.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vandar posted:

Australia is so obvious I think it'll be a long time before we officially get to PokeAustralia.

Greece, India, or Brazil could be interesting.

Just for argument's sake, I'd discount Brazil just because they'd have to go back in the orbit of soccer stadiums and Dynamaxing again so soon after SWSH, and they might not necessarily want to. Of course, inversely, that might make it more ideal of course.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

*slams palms on desk* Australia! Give us bloody PokeAustralia! :rant:

PokeNew Zealand. :getin:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Flopsy posted:

PokeNew Zealand. :getin:

What, you mean our Cinnabar Island equivalent? :smuggo:

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What, you mean our Cinnabar Island equivalent? :smuggo:

And now I shall sit like a salivating dog awaiting the steaming hot discourse from the New Zealanders who catch a glimpse of this statement.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Feb 23, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Flopsy posted:

And now I shall sit like a salivating dog awaiting the steaming hot discourse from the New Zealanders who catch a glimpse of this statement.

Oh that's just silly.

It's 50-50 odds as to whether there's even a Poke Zealand drawn on the Pokemon world map :v:.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

PokeMexico and the post game is Unova.

Huge missed opportunity for the post game in gen 8 not to be Kalos. Or the DLC I guess.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the next pokémon game is ..... pokemon sage?? an official polished release with help from nintendo ?? :o

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it's gonna be pokethree kingdoms

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Now that I have unlocked the Star Tournament, my goal is to do it 18 times with mono-typed teams and pick a partner to cover the weaknesses. Except all my best mons are still in Ultra Moon. I had given up on the idea of transferring them forward, but it would take forever to re-breed and train so many Pokémon. I have Pokémon that I bred and trained going back to gen 4. Probably nearly 100 of them.

Guess it’s time to suck it up and pay for Pokémon Home. I just have to be careful to not transfer any of my Pokémon whose moves no longer exist.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that I didn’t have to wear the stupid uniform for the Star Tournament, so I’m going to come up with cool outfits to wear for each mono-typed run.

Feb 2, 2005

Nessa posted:

Now that I have unlocked the Star Tournament, my goal is to do it 18 times with mono-typed teams and pick a partner to cover the weaknesses. Except all my best mons are still in Ultra Moon. I had given up on the idea of transferring them forward, but it would take forever to re-breed and train so many Pokémon. I have Pokémon that I bred and trained going back to gen 4. Probably nearly 100 of them.

Guess it’s time to suck it up and pay for Pokémon Home. I just have to be careful to not transfer any of my Pokémon whose moves no longer exist.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that I didn’t have to wear the stupid uniform for the Star Tournament, so I’m going to come up with cool outfits to wear for each mono-typed run.

They'll keep their moves, you just can't use them. They appear as greyed out rounded blocks.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Ok, hear me out here.

New Orleans with parts of the Caribbean.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

It's gonna be...

*spins globe*

*throws dart*

...the Bermuda Triangle

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Vinylshadow posted:

It's gonna be...

*spins globe*

*throws dart*

...the Bermuda Triangle

Where we're going we won't need IV training. :tinfoil:

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Quote posted:

They'll keep their moves, you just can't use them. They appear as greyed out rounded blocks.

Still though, my Cinccino with Wake Up Slap will be staying in Ultra Sun. My Sherribelle used to be a dragon slayer back in Gen 5. She made folks rage quit after downing their Hydreigons, :allears:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Germany. Only the story deals with invading Kalos.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Germany. Only the story deals with invading Kalos.

Counterpoint: A game about Unova's manifest destiny.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Nessa posted:

I always dress to match my doubles partner, and then the other team looks like uncoordinated idiots.

I don't wanna pay for Pokemon Transfer bullshit when I only want to move forward one Mon right now. Anyone want to help me out with a trade from Sun, move her up for me, and trade her back into my Shield file? I'll try to come up with something to make it worth your while. PM me if interested. I'm in central Canada, so I assume it'd be easier to coordinate a time with someone in North America.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

The person operating the Pokemon twitter account is literally an agent of Nyarlathotep and you can't change my mind.

https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/1364281137246437387

They might as well of had a picture of a Nickit saying "Chaos Reigns"

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 23, 2021

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Flopsy posted:

The person operating the Pokemon twitter account is literally an agent of Nyarlathotep and you can't change my mind.

https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/1364281137246437387

They might as well of had a picture of a Nickit saying "Chaos Reigns"

I know they're just counting down with all the gen's starters, but that specific choice of phrasing has me very nervous, speaking as someone who wants Sinnoh Remakes, but does not enjoy the Let's Go formula.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It's deffo the social media guy deciding to have fun with the uber nerds.

That said, I am probably gonna continue my streak of not getting into mainline pokemon games this year, but I still really wanna see the announcement of whatever they're going to do.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Nessa posted:

Still though, my Cinccino with Wake Up Slap will be staying in Ultra Sun. My Sherribelle used to be a dragon slayer back in Gen 5. She made folks rage quit after downing their Hydreigons, :allears:

Alternatively, you can give her Triple Axel and have her continue to clown hard on dragons, while dancing like a figure skating princess.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

BlazetheInferno posted:

I know they're just counting down with all the gen's starters, but that specific choice of phrasing has me very nervous, speaking as someone who wants Sinnoh Remakes, but does not enjoy the Let's Go formula.

Oh they know what the gently caress they're doing and I can promise you they're reveling in that power.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
The sounds of Poketubers typing furiously fills the air.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Silver Falcon posted:

Alternatively, you can give her Triple Axel and have her continue to clown hard on dragons, while dancing like a figure skating princess.

Oh my god, I did not even know that move existed! Yes, that would be perfect! Thanks for the idea!

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Nessa posted:

Oh my god, I did not even know that move existed! Yes, that would be perfect! Thanks for the idea!

I got Triple Axel on Tsareena and I can confirm, it slays air and dragons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.

Nessa posted:

I guess I just enjoyed the fetch quest more because it was in the service of getting a cool horse. I also adored Peony’s crayon drawings for the legendary hints. They were very charming.

Oh Peony is the best - I wish he was more involved in the legendary quests because he's such a fun character, it seems like a waste to have him just stay in the inn and and judge the appearance of legendaries.