Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My VCR is a top loader.

Got it from my step dad when I got a small TV in my room as a kid. When be bought it, 20 years before that, it came with a wired remote which has since been lost.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vidiot
Apr 4, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

(My mom loves all the old Doris Day movies so I was required to study them like they were the Bible. This might be related to why I'm the only 30-whatever man who liked Down With Love and thinks it's a masterpiece.)

As a 30-whatever man who has never seen a Doris Day picture, I can attest to Down With Love being a masterpiece. My wife and I watch it every Valentine's Day and it somehow gets better every year.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Vidiot posted:

As a 30-whatever man who has never seen a Doris Day picture, I can attest to Down With Love being a masterpiece. My wife and I watch it every Valentine's Day and it somehow gets better every year.

Well a very hearty internet high-five to you guys. God drat love that movie.

My business card lists me (among other, actual titles) as "Man's Man Lady's Man Man About Town".

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Xiahou Dun posted:

Well a very hearty internet high-five to you guys. God drat love that movie.

My business card lists me (among other, actual titles) as "Man's Man Lady's Man Man About Town".

A guy I used to work with had personal "cards". He showed one to his dad one time and he was all like "If you worked for me and were giving these out to people, I'd fire you".

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

wesleywillis posted:

A guy I used to work with had personal "cards". He showed one to his dad one time and he was all like "If you worked for me and were giving these out to people, I'd fire you".

glad to hear about your coworker's rear end in a top hat dad, op

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

My VCR is a top loader.

Got it from my step dad when I got a small TV in my room as a kid. When be bought it, 20 years before that, it came with a wired remote which has since been lost.

how tf do you lose a wired remote

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

how tf do you lose a wired remote

You unplugged them.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m seriously thinking g of getting one of those small CRT tv/vcr combos so I can watch my bad b-movies in the ideal format.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m seriously thinking g of getting one of those small CRT tv/vcr combos so I can watch my bad b-movies in the ideal format.
I have an old Sony Trinitron with built-in VCR, it's great for this exact thing.
It's also the best way to play games on my Famicom.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I have an old Sony Trinitron with built-in VCR, it's great for this exact thing.

If I ever decide to actually buy a house, the basement will have an area set up like an old video rental place with the wire shelves so I can grab something and pop it in a giant TV like that.

I love my b-movies.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

If I ever decide to actually buy a house, the basement will have an area set up like an old video rental place with the wire shelves so I can grab something and pop it in a giant TV like that.

I love my b-movies.

Are you secretly Mike Stoklasa?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Xiahou Dun posted:

Are you secretly Mike Stoklasa?

Just love my b movies.

My medic partner and I set up a projector on the outside of the ambulance garage last summer so we could watch bad old movies and Troma stuff between calls.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Older games look so much better on a CRT that I don't consider people who played on an LCD to even have played the same game, I honestly which we wouldn't have switched

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

Older games look so much better on a CRT that I don't consider people who played on an LCD to even have played the same game, I honestly which we wouldn't have switched
Well, let's not get carried away here and declare every CRT the greatest invention ever - the Trinitron is a bit of an exception, because before their patent ran out, that line had the brightest and most vivid picture quality.
The vast majority of CRTs looked awful then and look even worse now.

The trick to playing old games on new TVs is pulling the digital signal off the console, instead of through it through a DAC and then an ADC with some optional composhite or RF wire in between.
That usually involves modifying the console, though - but at least you get a loving fantastic picture out of it.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
I worked for an editor when tv commercials transitioned from film to tape to tape less during the 2010s

Dude had an amazing reel from working in the 1980s/90s but he couldn’t ‘use it’ for two reasons.

Either it was locked away in SD - as the only masters he had available were digibeta and some d2 transfers (other tape formats)

Or they were cigarette and liquor ads that didn’t play well at the time.

CRT talk reminded me of the time I found one of his old spots and was blown away at the quality of watching an SD master on a professional CRT.

The commercial spot itself is an old reference since no commercial would ever spend money like they did back then.

Helicopter flying through NYC - near bridges actually shot - flies to Lincoln Square and meets a limo - Charlie Sheen gets out and lights up - it’s a cigarette ad

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Well, let's not get carried away here and declare every CRT the greatest invention ever - the Trinitron is a bit of an exception, because before their patent ran out, that line had the brightest and most vivid picture quality.
The vast majority of CRTs looked awful then and look even worse now.

The trick to playing old games on new TVs is pulling the digital signal off the console, instead of through it through a DAC and then an ADC with some optional composhite or RF wire in between.
That usually involves modifying the console, though - but at least you get a loving fantastic picture out of it.

Even doing rgb mods the picture is gonna look like poo poo compared to hooking it up to a good crt.

It's not a coincidence that LCD TV's started showing up right when the trinitron patent ran out, the fact of the matter is we as consumers got swindled by big tv. They realized they'd hit the peak with the trinitron line and couldn't figure out a way to sell more TV's. So they took lcd's made for tiny game screens and such and blew up the size and started changing all the aspect ratios on tv to make the vet's look worse. It was a concentrated effort by the tv lobby to hoodwink us into buying lcd's, and it continued with poo poo like 3d TV's, Oled, 4k, curve tv.

People are going nuts about 4k right now but if you did a double blond trial between a 4k tv and a trinitron, at least 86% of people would prefer the crt, and the ready would see no difference.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah, the lack of dithering means games will never look right on anything but a CRT. But I enjoy having a TV that doesn't weigh hundreds of pounds and generate tons of static/attract dust.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Guy Axlerod posted:

Yeah, the lack of dithering means games will never look right on anything but a CRT. But I enjoy having a TV that doesn't weigh hundreds of pounds and generate tons of static/attract dust.
Also will legitimately kill you if you gently caress around with its guts.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Guy Axlerod posted:

Ten years ago my wife and I separated and I told her to take whatever she wanted. She of course picked the 27" Trinitron I'd only purchased a couple of years earlier.

I helped her move from our place to her apartment with her parents. Her father and I could not carry it up the long flight of carpeted stairs; we ended up rolling it about 3/4 of the way up and I was quite frankly shocked it worked when we plugged it in and it still worked.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Shrecknet posted:

Also will legitimately kill you if you gently caress around with its guts.

Is it one of the ones with the turbo strong capacitators that will discharge and electrocute you if you look at them funny? A lot of old TVs had those but not nearly as potent.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Gaius Marius posted:

Even doing rgb mods the picture is gonna look like poo poo compared to hooking it up to a good crt.

It's not a coincidence that LCD TV's started showing up right when the trinitron patent ran out, the fact of the matter is we as consumers got swindled by big tv. They realized they'd hit the peak with the trinitron line and couldn't figure out a way to sell more TV's. So they took lcd's made for tiny game screens and such and blew up the size and started changing all the aspect ratios on tv to make the vet's look worse. It was a concentrated effort by the tv lobby to hoodwink us into buying lcd's, and it continued with poo poo like 3d TV's, Oled, 4k, curve tv.

People are going nuts about 4k right now but if you did a double blond trial between a 4k tv and a trinitron, at least 86% of people would prefer the crt, and the ready would see no difference.

Modern tvs use a significant amount less electricity compared to older style tvs.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If we have to build a dyson sphere to power the next age of crt's then so be it, it'll be worth it so the people of the world can finally play Genesis the way it was meant to be played

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Alterian posted:

Modern tvs use a significant amount less electricity compared to older style tvs.
Steadily closing the gap though, with average size increasing massively and all the smart crap and image processing becoming unavoidable!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I've seen Alien so I know CRTs are coming back.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

I've seen Alien so I know CRTs are coming back.

The monks in The Fifth Element are rocking big beige CRT's.

It's not even a style aesthetic like Aliens or every other part of The Fifth Element. It's a bunch of ViewSonics they pulled from a back room and used in a movie set in the 23rd century.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'd like a science-person to give me some plausible scenarios in which CRTs might be more resiliant or reliable than LCD or OLEDs so I can insert some unnecessary but fun headcanon into older future flicks.

All I know is that the change happened somewhere between Alien: Covenant and Alien so we've got plenty of time to figure the reason out.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Guy Axlerod posted:

A friend of mine has a classic console collection (including some really cool rare/exotic stuff like a Sharp X68000 and the Famicom Disk System) and where applicable he just runs it through OSSC and it looks great on modern TVs. :shrug:

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
I wanted to learn about Trinitron so I went to the best nerd for the job

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aFhzGEBQlk

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

A friend of mine has a classic console collection (including some really cool rare/exotic stuff like a Sharp X68000 and the Famicom Disk System) and where applicable he just runs it through OSSC and it looks great on modern TVs. :shrug:
I have a SHARP X68000 - with the hostname SolarSystem, because it has the Venus-X CPU, the Jupiter-X accelerator card, the Mercury Unit PCM sound card, and the Neptune-X NIC - I just don't have the monitor, as shipping from Japan to Denmark was simply too expensive at the time (and still is).
I also have a Famicom with DiskSystem, which is hooked up to the aforementioned Sony Trinitron.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

feedmyleg posted:

I'd like a science-person to give me some plausible scenarios in which CRTs might be more resiliant or reliable than LCD or OLEDs so I can insert some unnecessary but fun headcanon into older future flicks.

All I know is that the change happened somewhere between Alien: Covenant and Alien so we've got plenty of time to figure the reason out.

Good question! And I have no idea but I have looked. A couple of years ago I was wondering how they were manufactured, how they got better over time and whether any of that knowledge would.. well exist anymore. Industrial processes are weird when they get surplanted, sometimes the entire knowledgebase just disapears apart from the odd manual from a production line in some old engineers garage - e.g. most of the internals of the apollo program.

There are lots of text books on the physics principles and lots of science papers, I have several, but almost no detailed information on actually how they were built, improved, researched, and weird things they could do no other tech could past the 1960s. e.g. you can magic up RCA's vacuum tube design reference book from 1962 (Electron Tube Design - RCA, New Jersey) some of which is on CRT tech. It's mostly all locked up in industrial lab archives, if it exists and hasn't been trashed when company A bought company B's CRT department.

There is a book, The Cathode-Ray Tube Technology, History, and Applications by Peter A. Keller. but it's a limited run by a retired engineer so it frequently goes for $1000. There are no scans.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Not exactly a reference to older media per se, but I was watching Batman Beyond and it got to the part where Batman was listing US Presidents in order and he stops when he gets to Clinton (Keep in mind that this episode originally aired in like 99') Oh man, if only they knew who'd become President after...

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The simplest thing would be if some raw material needed for LCDs but not for CRTs ran out or became so useful for some other purpose that making TVs out of it seemed wasteful. You could invent such a material for fiction's sake if you wanted.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

feedmyleg posted:

CRTs are far more durable against ionising radiation.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Platystemon posted:

Plus, I've seen enough videos of people cracking flat screens with their errant Wii controllers to make me think, "hmm, if I'm on that bumpy drop ship ride in Aliens, I dont want a loose bolt flying across the cabin to knock out my navigation screen". I'd much prefer a tank like my C64 monitor.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I've been watching ER, and poo poo, so much of the show couldn't happen today.

Carter tossing a page with a kid's diabetes diagnoses - well since they'd be using an EHR, and it would have a record of everything done to the chart, Carter would have to be really good at the back end. There would be an audit trail.

Or then when the pharmacy misreads an order because of Benton's sloppy penmanship? CPOE has made that largely impossible to happen.

It's really fascinating how many safety protocols we have today compared to 20 years ago.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Plus, I've seen enough videos of people cracking flat screens with their errant Wii controllers to make me think, "hmm, if I'm on that bumpy drop ship ride in Aliens, I dont want a loose bolt flying across the cabin to knock out my navigation screen". I'd much prefer a tank like my C64 monitor.

CRTs implode when they break, sending glass shrapnel flying everywhere. Flat screens at least just stop working. Between them I'd take the flat screen.

Also they'd be milspec flat screens, something like this:

https://nlsdisplays.com/display-products/rackslide-pull-out-kvm-displays/csc-17-cat5a-810-sk/

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I imagine in your typical sci-fi spaceship cockpit they'd be mounted beneath an extra layer of scratch-and-crack-resistant glass either way.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Problem is, humans aren't.

The only places where it makes sense to use them would be RAD-hardened environments, but that's basically just space and lugging a CRT into orbit seems like a waste of perfectly good rocket fuel.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

CRTs implode when they break, sending glass shrapnel flying everywhere. Flat screens at least just stop working. Between them I'd take the flat screen.

Also they'd be milspec flat screens, something like this:

https://nlsdisplays.com/display-products/rackslide-pull-out-kvm-displays/csc-17-cat5a-810-sk/

That's just a run-of-the-mill KVM display that you'll find in any rack.
They've largely been supplanted by out-of-band base management controllers, ie. a ARM or RISC-V chip with Linux or FreeBSD which lets you connect to it via LAN and manage the server, up to and including powering it on and off, controlling fans, and everything else.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Maybe the Alien prequels just sucked. They should have kept the original movie's aesthetics.

Although honestly I can't recall much about the computer screens from Alien: Covenant. I was so loving angry about everything in that movie it all just sort of blends in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
My son saw a picture of CRT TV in a wooden cabinet for the first time today in a story book. He thought the character that was shown on the TV was hiding in a storage cabinet.