Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3960054&pagenumber=14&perpage=40#post537240512

Astryl fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

:pcgaming: READ THIS BEFORE YOU KEEP GOING :pcgaming:

Please note, the old goontopia IP no longer works. You need to make sure your gateway is set as the following:

quote:

From the Utilities folder, run BNGatewayEditor and create the Gateway for Diablo to see my server
Select the Diablo2/Diablo2Exp tab from the bottom
Click the Add Gateway Button from the right hand side
Enter the Gateway information
Name: goontopia
IP: diablo.astryl.dev

I have no intention of ever taking the server down, sans maintenance. We may do ladder resets though.

Astryl fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 10, 2023

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

Placeholder 2 (if needed)

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Here's MOST of the patch notes. I think there's some missing stuff that was in before I started writing notes:

OTHER NOTES:
** Revamped tinkering making it actually useful now
* there is no longer a limit to how many times you can tinker an item
* +hp and mana only take 1 heart/soul instead of 3
* 3x Frozen Soul + 3x Shadow quartz = Griswold's Hand (tinkering item)
* 3x Bleeding Stone + 3x Burning Sulphur = Treehead Woodfist's Arm (tinkering item)
* 2x Dark Azurite + 2x Bitter Peridot + 2x Pulsing Opal + 2x Enigmatic Cinnibar = Radament's Head (tinkering item)
* 2x Tomb Jade + 2x Solid Mercury + 2x Storm Amber + 2x Tainted Tourmaline = Hephasto's Hand (tinkering item)
* 1x Frozen Soul + 1x Shadow Quartz = Heart
* Griswold's hand + item = +1 min/max damage
* Treehead Woodfist's Arm + item = +9% Demon/Undead damage
* Radament's Head + item = +3 hp +1 life after kill
* Hephasto's Hand + item = +3 mana +1 mana after kill
* Quivers are now socketable

** Loot table adjustments
* Buffed ore drops from Cows and Clones (Izual, Duriel, Andy, etc.)
* Significantly buffed ore drops from Treant King, Reporb, Reziarfg, and Nihl
* All mobs mentioned above have a very small chance top drop a dragon stone (on top of the chance already)
* Guardians (in Nihl's) have a much higher chance of dropping a dragon stone
* Countess rune drops fixed, now actually worth it (drops 2 runes of a value relative to the difficulty)

* Perfect crystals now cost 120 points, up from 100. +%Summon damage tinker adjusted to reflect new point value.
* Ores have been buffed again, crystals are more abundant to encourage tinkering
* Can now tinker +1 To All Skills: 1 Perfect, 3 Flawed Enigmatic Cinnibar (150 points)
* Cubing an empty ore by itself will now provide you with a few fake notes (!!)
* Cows given additional ore rolls
* Many skills adjusted to reduce their casting delay (not thunder wave)
* Removed thief aura, melee Dead End 4lyfe (to clarify, this was the thing that made you get 0 gold drops in Dead End)
* Giants, Belhifets, and Treants no longer take forever to kill. Treants give more XP

* Jeweler's (6 Socket) on armor is now fixed. It spawns as code 760 or 102, both are active.
* 'Of Aurora' Suffix now spawns with more balanced aura levels
* Aura forging now gives higher aura levels (reforge to attain)
* Most aura levels on Uniques and RWs have been adjusted, reroll to attain
* Prayer aura was acting weird, so it now no longer drains mana
* Transmuting a Kanji rune with a crystal can now returns the correct amount of crystals
* Small chance I fixed the countess rune drops

{12/27/2016}
* Master of Fire works now
* Tripled rate of scroll drops from Izuals

{12/09/2016}
* White aura stone now adds level 31 conviction aura (instead of cleansing)
* Black aura stone now adds level 31 holy freeze aura (instead of thorns)
* A2 merc conviction aura raised to level 20 to be more in line with other auras, actually giving you a reason to use him again
* A3 merc resist auras raised to level 20 to give you an option if you don't want to use the A2 merc

{12/02/2016}
* You can now walk through Duriel's corpse
* Duriel's corpse is now Corpse Explosionable
* Added higher tier crystal conversion recipe: Maple + Can + TP = convert 120 points up, Maple + can + ID = convert 120 points down
* Diabloclone has been buffed and his drops have been adjusted. Summon him by selling 20 devil's foods

{11/28/2016}
* Marsh of Pain spawns reorganized, more Duriels, less of everything else
* Marsh of Pain mob density increased 50%
* Duriels given an additional rune roll, max of Null(purple) in Hell, Mo(green) in Nightmare, O(yellow) in Normal
* Added Skeleton Mastery and Raise Skeleton synergy to Necro Hydra, raised synergy value from 5% to 7%
* You can now summon 1 more of each golem, you can now summon 5 more skeletons
* Puppeteer's Hold summon damage raised from 80% to 400%
* New runeword: 3 Socket Charm - Nerfobaba - Hi Ro Fu - +1 all skills, +15% FCR, +20% elemental damage, Level 20 Ancients Call oskill, +energy/level, +mana/level, resist all +2, CBF
* Storm, Earth, and Fire runeword buffed to account for it being an endgame upgrade to the new AC runeword
* Dead end gold drops increased 100%
* Moonlight runeword re-added (it wasn't working before)
* NPC gold limites increased to 2m

{11/26/2016}
* Necro buffs part 1 of many, this is just the groundwork, much more to come
* Summon Damage % tinkering changed from 2/20/240 to 10/100 for chipped/normal Tainted Tourmaline, so that's 40 TT for max summon damage on an item.
* Skeleton mastery damage per level increased from 2 to 5 (very noticeable will all of the +% damage and auras)
* Skeleton damage % per level raised from 7% to 15%
* Corpse explosion max damage raise from 60% to 80% max hp of mob
* Corpse explosion base radius raised from 16 to 24, + 1/level
* Golem mastery base damage per level raise from 3 to 10 (very noticeable will all of the +% damage and auras)
* Blood golem life steal raised from 10% to 20%, damage from 10% to 20% per level, synergy damage from 3 to 5
* Clay golem damager % per level raised from 10% to 20%, synergy damage from 3 to 5
* Iron golem damager % per level raised from 10% to 20%, synergy damage from 3 to 5
* Fire golem damager % per level raised from 10% to 20%, synergy damage from 3 to 5

{11/23/2016}
* New crystal conversion recipe: Any blemished gem, crystal can, TP scroll for up, ID scroll for down, converts 10 crystals\
* Conviction is fixed finally

{11/17/2016}
*+1 all tinker no longer works on white items

{11/16/2016}
*Buffed drops for all clones (Bosses in non-boss areas) and Cows
*Cows now have the best droprate for Sa runes
*Izual clones now have the best chance to drop Dragon Stones

{11/07/2013}
* Jeweler's on armor is now fixed. It spawns as code 760 or 102, both are active.
* 'Of Aurora' Suffix now spawns with more balanced aura levels
* Aura forging now gives higher aura levels (reforge to attain)
* Most aura levels on Uniques and RWs have been adjusted, reroll to attain
* Prayer aura was acting weird, so it now no longer drains mana
* Transmuting a Kanji rune with a crystal can now returns the correct amount of crystals
* Small chance I fixed the countess rune drops

{11/04/2013}
* Conviction Aura now works as intended (i.e. it actually works)
* Fake note factory now drops fake notes and Sa runes more often

{11/02/2013}
* Fixed a bug that messed up a couple runewords
* Cookbooks can now be made with ANY club, not just wirt's leg

{10/29/2013}
* Hotfixes
* +all skills tinker fixed, only works on some items though
* Amp damage and weaken are fixed, not sure what was wrong but they work now
* Issue with crystals cubing into stocker fixed
* Sorry :(

{10/28/2013}
* Crystal point adjustments
* Ore buffs
* +1 All Skill Tinker added
* Empty ore cube recipe
* Cow drops buffed
* Skill delay adjustments
* Thief aura removed (WOOO)
* Some minor monster HP/XP adjustments
* See website and SA for more details as always!

{10/20/2013}
* Chipped crystals can now be converted
* +% Summoning damage tinker added
* Sa rune drops adjusted
* See forums and newstuff.html for details!

{09/12/2013}
* Added new unique items (see stats page)
* Added new runewords (see stats page)
* Ore drops buffed, more crystals per ore
* Crystals can now be converted to other types (see thread)
* Revamped tinkering making it actually useful now (see thread)

{08/27/2013}
* Charsi now sells Maple Leaves
* Ancient's Call range doubled
* Item selling limit raised to 200k for all difficulties
* Null runes can now be downgraded to Wo
* All monster resists capped at 110 to give other
resistance breaking skills a fighting chance

{08/09/2013}
* Moved Cain to the stash in Act 5 town.
* Increased character and stash gold limit.
* Fixed an issue with stat respecs not accounting for
completing the Golden Bird quest in Act 3 (+20 max Life).

{08/03/2013}
Goontopia has gone live!

Garfu fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 23, 2021

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

Maybe one day I can trick Garfu into helping me set up the respec server.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.
I shall try installing as soon as possible. I am a filthy casual though and may be overwhelmed by the new improvements.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

Rytheric posted:

I shall try installing as soon as possible. I am a filthy casual though and may be overwhelmed by the new improvements.

They can be overwhelming at first but once you get the hang of it, they’re very enjoyable!

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
There's a lot of notes but it pretty much boils down to minor tweaks to shorten the thousand hour end game with a bunch of targeted farm areas instead of 100% randomness.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.
I'm still too young to play it seems. Gives me time to find an emulator so its good.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Oh neat, it's back! Gonna get so dstoned

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

quote:

Set ‘Diablo II.exe’ to Compatibility mode
Navigate to your new ‘Diablo II’ folder created in step 1
Locate ‘Diablo II.exe’ and right click on it
Select Properties
On the Compatibility tab, click the ‘Change settings for all users button’
Check ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for:’
In the drop down, select ‘Windows XP (Service Pack 2)
Check ‘Disable desktop composition’
Check ‘Disable display scaling on high DPI settings’
Check ‘Run this program as an administrator’
Press ‘OK’

I downloaded the files and followed the directions, but my compatibility window said:

Don't know if this changes anything, since there was no option for desktop composition or display scaling. Were these direction for Windows 7?

Also tried to set up the gateway and got this error:

quote:

Attempt to connect Gateway d2es.goons.cx(d2es.goons.cx)...
Connection failed!

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

Cobalt-60 posted:

I downloaded the files and followed the directions, but my compatibility window said:

Don't know if this changes anything, since there was no option for desktop composition or display scaling. Were these direction for Windows 7?

Also tried to set up the gateway and got this error:

Are you trying to launch this in windowed mode? If not try that first. Host name could be a DNS issue, if it still doesn’t work PM for the IP.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

Does anyone remember what the fix was to not being able to equip mercenaries?

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Tried launching in windowed mode, still getting this message:

Are there up to date directions for Win10?

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

Fixed the issue with mercenaries not being fully equitable. May post the patched mpq one of our lovely players made to allow immolation on left click where it was meant to be.

whocares8310
Sep 22, 2010

Sir, I think it's pronounced nook-ya-ler.

Do Not Fear Jazz posted:

Maybe one day I can trick Garfu into helping me set up the respec server.

I'll probably ask about this once a week. Whenever i feel like I've ruined a character and have buyer's remorse for my skill choice.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I once manually wrote a respec script trying to do my own d2 es battlenet like garfu, but before I totally finished garfu set up a new es server and I abandoned the project

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

whocares8310 posted:

I'll probably ask about this once a week. Whenever i feel like I've ruined a character and have buyer's remorse for my skill choice.

In the mean time I can manually respec people if they ask. Although deathrat may give me a hand flipping everything from plainfile to SQL so we can have a web-based respec once again. We'll see.

Been running NM nihl's on and off today, trying to gear up for Hell. If anyone gets a rumour of pain belt, I will trade almost anything for it.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

Some talk of setting up the discord bot to be able to apply respecs.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I'm so annoyed that I'm back into this. It's fun.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

ISO Stormshard jewels, Shield of Pain, and buckets of sapphires.

Set up a temporary trade hall in #d2es-trades on goons.cx (you need the @d2es role to see it, so it should be pretty quiet). I'm open to other suggestions.

Switched to a blizzard build and besides being stuck on right click blizzard absolutely melts mobs at high levels.

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009

Cobalt-60 posted:

Follow the instructions as best you can, even though the compatibility settings might not be the same.

from the discord:

quote:

Run as admin
Run in win xp sp2/3 mode
Retry loading with -ns -w -skiptobnet on the launcher shortcut
Retry from step 1 of the downloads
Or try with just step one without step 2 and see if d2 loads
Try running d2vidtest from the folder and see if setting 3dfx works
Try running glide wrapper

If you have any other installations of D2 or D2 mods, uninstall those.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
it's eastern sun, baby!!!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

This sounds kickass

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

Yardbomb posted:

This sounds kickass

Just be careful not to get hooked!

Also, redoing my build got me up to 80k blizz damage. Now I just need to upgrade my survivability a bit so I can teleport directly on top of mobs and self cast.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Maybe I'm just an idiot and can't figure it out, but does this install have the PlugY feature of shift-clicking to move items from inventory to stash and vice versa? It's not working for me.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Cantorsdust posted:

Maybe I'm just an idiot and can't figure it out, but does this install have the PlugY feature of shift-clicking to move items from inventory to stash and vice versa? It's not working for me.

Most plugy features don't work on the realm.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

dis astranagant posted:

Most plugy features don't work on the realm.

However! There is a plugin called hotkey. Press keyboard(not numpad) 5 to move a item you've clicked to cube. 6 to move to inventory. 7 to stash(if stash ui open) and 8 to move to ground. Much faster than clicking back and forth.

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

ikanreed posted:

However! There is a plugin called hotkey. Press keyboard(not numpad) 5 to move a item you've clicked to cube. 6 to move to inventory. 7 to stash(if stash ui open) and 8 to move to ground. Much faster than clicking back and forth.

Stash UI doesn’t have to be open, just need to be in town and not in vendor IIRC. It’s slick.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I guess it's time again

:negative:

Xenthalon
Jun 28, 2010
Would really like to start ES again with you goons, but I can't seem to connect to the server. Pinging d2es.goons.cx works fine, but the connection times out when trying to connect. 'Detect Gateway' in the Gateway Editor also times out, works fine with the default servers though.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Xenthalon posted:

Would really like to start ES again with you goons, but I can't seem to connect to the server. Pinging d2es.goons.cx works fine, but the connection times out when trying to connect. 'Detect Gateway' in the Gateway Editor also times out, works fine with the default servers though.

I had this issue the other day while I was testing my setup as well.

And thanks for the heads up about the hot key mod. Rebinding things for keyboard 1,2,3 to cube, inventory, and stash works great.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Gotta use the IP: 108.39.200.68

Also join the discord.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Hint from my own playing: don't tokenize everything and hoard it. It WILL break your save.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

the tingler posted:

Follow the instructions as best you can, even though the compatibility settings might not be the same.

from the discord:

If you have any other installations of D2 or D2 mods, uninstall those.

Having the exact same issues and getting the same errors. I've installed ES half a dozen times and never gotten this specific set of errors.

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
what errors are you getting?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Cobalt-60 posted:

I've always wanted to try ES and I am pretty sure I followed the install instructions to the letter, but I am getting the same error message as this. However D2 still launches, leaving that error message floating in the background. I can get to the title screen, I can register and login to Goontopia and I can create a character. But when I try to start a game, it locks up. Alt-tabbing back to Windows shows D2Loader complaining about an "Assertion failure" in "compileTXTFile, line #0", "Expression pbData" and then another window entitled "Hey guys" that just says "We got a big error here".

The logfile complains about an error opening \PlugY\statsinterface.txt. I can stick the log on pastebin if it's useful.

If it matters I'm on a Ryzen 5 3600 with a 1060 6GB.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 18, 2021

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

Glider settings can sometimes do things like that. Have you changed any of the glide3d settings??

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Do Not Fear Jazz posted:

Glider settings can sometimes do things like that. Have you changed any of the glide3d settings??
Thanks. I haven't changed them. I get the same error if I pick DirectDraw from VidTest (Direct3D crashes the game on launch).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

For me what worked was to make sure that the D2VidTest was also set to Windows XP compatibility mode, then run it, pick glide on that. Then it worked.