Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Feel free to try and wrap your head around just how mindbogglingly big space is. Like just to get to pluto you have to travel three billion two hundred fifty two million one hundred thousand miles. And that's if you just wanna keep the scales involved small!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Shits big, OP

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

It's pretty goddamn big op, almost as large as your mom.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Anyways yeah it's pretty mind boggling big and we can basically observe the past with it.
Which is genuinely just incredibly neat.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
how many of ur moms across is that map

Lawman 0 posted:

efb

OP do you have an overlay of that map showing Goldbelly availability? Asking for a friend.

edit: I'm astrobiology-adjacent. Felisa Wolfe-Simon was gonna ask me to post-doc under her which seemed cool until she fudged some data and made national news for discovering arsenic-based DNA. Turns out that was wrong, whoops.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felisa_Wolfe-Simon

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 23, 2021

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

like, the only reason i don't wanna die is because i want to see technology advance far enough so that we can just be like "we gotta be in the andromeda in 2 hours, pack your poo poo!"

i'm jealous of our great great (...) grandkids

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
maybe I'll make an astrobiology thread??

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
These cracks about my mother are heartbreaking and you're all very lucky her face and ears extend well outside the visible light cone.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

reignofevil posted:

Feel free to try and wrap your head around just how mindbogglingly big space is. Like just to get to pluto you have to travel three billion two hundred fifty two million one hundred thousand miles. And that's if you just wanna keep the scales involved small!

OP image is very inaccurate, we can see things that are way further away than 7.5 billion light years. The edge of the observable universe is about 45 billion light years away. The universe is about 14 billion years old, so a naive calculation is that the furthest light could have traveled since the Big Bang is 14 billion light years, but that ignores the expansion of the universe itself.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

reignofevil posted:

Wow it's crazy to think all that poo poo created just for me with me at the center.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

how do i become one with the space?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
“ Space is big.

Really big.

You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggling big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space. Listen; when you're thinking big, think bigger than the biggest thing ever and then some. Much bigger than that in fact, really amazingly immense, a totally stunning size, real 'wow, that's big', time. It's just so big that by comparison, bigness itself looks really titchy. Gigantic multiplied by colossal multiplied by staggeringly huge is the sort of concept we're trying to get across here.”

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

i need it to fill with bad posts

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Do Not Fear Jazz posted:

how do i become one with the space?

I think you have to convert yourself into vacuum energy.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Lawman 0 posted:

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

reignofevil posted:

I tried that but then I had to go to hospital to get my peener reattached.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Rookie mistake.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

reignofevil posted:

I see you haven't met me.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i wonder if theres anything bigger than space (do NOT say my mom or the ops mom)

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

cuntman.net posted:

i wonder if theres anything bigger than space (do NOT say my mom or the ops mom)

the mass of both of your moms combined

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Do Not Fear Jazz posted:

the mass of both of your moms combined

did they do the fusion dance

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

Fritz the Horse posted:

did they do the fusion dance

More like a Captain Planet (lol) thing

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

pfft iv eseen bigger

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Some lame dead website told me that space has a terrible power.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
it's not so much that space is big, its more like the things in it are really far apart

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

duh it’s called SPACE of course it’s big

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Base Emitter posted:

it's not so much that space is big, its more like the things in it are really far apart

yes, but also it is really big

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Space is so large that it's impossible for it to fit on your computer monitor. Even if you have one of those high-DPI ultrawides.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Phanatic posted:

OP image is very inaccurate, we can see things that are way further away than 7.5 billion light years. The edge of the observable universe is about 45 billion light years away. The universe is about 14 billion years old, so a naive calculation is that the furthest light could have traveled since the Big Bang is 14 billion light years, but that ignores the expansion of the universe itself.

Make Phanatic IK of this cold, dark RSF.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

This is what the solar system looks like in scale. It's pretty big and empty

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

Man with Hat posted:

This is what the solar system looks like in scale. It's pretty big and empty

Uhm they forgot Pluto

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Eh I've seen bigger.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

atoms are also mostly empty space

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Do Not Fear Jazz posted:

Uhm they forgot Pluto

It's there, though, right where Pluto is

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Do Not Fear Jazz posted:

Uhm they forgot Pluto

No it's there you just can't see it because it doesn't even show up on the enlarged scale

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Beepity Boop posted:

It's there, though, right where Pluto is

Exactly. They forgot to omit that abomination of a dwarf planet.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Our neighbors in Alpha and Proxima Centauri are just now getting to learn about Trump being president.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
https://joshworth.com/dev/pixelspace/pixelspace_solarsystem.html

When you see the sun, press "C" in lower right to travel at speed of light. Real fun place this space

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Speleothing posted:

Our neighbors in Alpha and Proxima Centauri are just now getting to learn about Trump being president.

Can't wait for their response in the form of a relativistic kill vehicle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Speleothing posted:

They knew all along, where do you think all those votes came from