Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Hmmm...shouldn't be an issue because I've moved up to the next tier of boat. Currently digging a road from one base, all the way across the giant landmass I'm on and my boat is on the other side. If I connect this giant road to water will it fill up? Would be cool to have a canal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Sadly, no. Water level is fixed to z axis and weather. It'd be cool if we got something more... fluid but i imagine that's outside the scope of the early access.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Yeah it'd be cool if we could build breakwaters and dykes and stuff.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Well I'll console myself with my continent-spanning road. It'll make pulling a cart much easier. It stretches from my big base in a black forest, through a swamp and then into Meadows. Then it's a long boat ride to any mountains or plains.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Two things I'm hoping they implement in the future:

World difficulty settings, letting you increase/decrease the amount of spawns around, and the frequency of attacks.

Combining weather effects with the base attacks. Imagine Draugr attacking during heavy fog, or a wolf/drake attack during a snowstorm in the mountains.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I just beat bonemass and got a COLD WIND BLOWING IN attack, which is a drake + cold damage status, so there's already a bit like that

It didn't do a cool blizzard graphic, but it put the damaging 'freezing' status on the base (which is not in the mountains)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Nosre posted:

I just beat bonemass and got a COLD WIND BLOWING IN attack, which is a drake + cold damage status, so there's already a bit like that

It didn't do a cool blizzard graphic, but it put the damaging 'freezing' status on the base (which is not in the mountains)

Are you sure that wasn't just the effect from the drake attacks? They apply freezing briefly.

Haven't had that particular attack myself yet.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Johnny Joestar posted:

beat the first boss not too long ago, and started building an extension on my house so i can have my smelter sitting in the middle of it. kind of annoyed that i'm 1 surtling core too short to make a charcoal kiln as well so i guess i can't even use the thing yet due to only having like 2 charcoal. the game seems pretty fun.

If you absolutely can't be bothered to tear down smelter, build kiln, make charcoal, and rebuild smelter, you can make some charcoal by leaving your meat in the fire for too long.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Broken Cog posted:

Are you sure that wasn't just the effect from the drake attacks? They apply freezing briefly.

Pretty sure, because the Drake itself one-shot me. When I went back, it was circling far away but I was still ticking for damage.

Unless you mean they have a cold radius effect and the radius is REALLY large

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Johnny Joestar posted:

beat the first boss not too long ago, and started building an extension on my house so i can have my smelter sitting in the middle of it. kind of annoyed that i'm 1 surtling core too short to make a charcoal kiln as well so i guess i can't even use the thing yet due to only having like 2 charcoal. the game seems pretty fun.

You can also make coal by burning meat (just leave it on the spit after it's cooked for a while).

Broken Cog posted:

I had this happen to me too and it is not the drake attacks but rather the cold mountain effect. I dealt with it, but I couldn't help but think it would be a really sucky attack on a community server with new players involved who didn't know why their health was draining and how to stop it suddenly.

e:

Nosre posted:

I had the blizzard snowy graphic effect and my base is deep in the meadows with no mountain nearby.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Oof, yeah I could see how that could be nasty.

At least new players should be able to hide in houses with camp fires/near a bonfire.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Untrustable posted:

Is there a secret to boats? I parked 3 rafts on a coastline (don't judge, I kept getting killed) and when I returned not one was still there. My improved boat has stayed without issue. Do rafts just float off? It seemed like they had been staying in place while not being used.

How is environment damage to things calculated anyways? My 3 rafts are still around my main island somewhere, I keep running past them and when I do, I often see them taking damage due to waves crashing them on stones/ground. But they're still there after like ~15 ingame days. The game gives me the feeling that when I'm not around my stuff, the world doesn't really calculate physical object damage, maybe saves the last state or so. Also what is the main reason for buildings degrading? Is it bound to the static, so yellow/orange pieces will lose HP continously? Or also related to weather effects so more exposed things degrade faster?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Wood exposed to water, whether from high tide, storms, or rain, will degrade to half damage over time. It's mostly cosmetic, honestly, considering how few things will attack your buildings right now. I'm not sure if there's stone degradation. I know naturally spawned stone buildings have a weathered look but I don't know if thats used for player stuff.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

If you have stairs going up to a house on stilts, the degradation over time will make it so you can't get past the last step into the house. I have to stop and fix my stairs every few in game days.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I just put a tiny thatch roof over mine to avoid that exact issue

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

dogstile posted:

I just put a tiny thatch roof over mine to avoid that exact issue

I wondered why some people put roofs over their stairs.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Maybe I'm crazy but I've noticed that a wood piece that takes significant damage from water will still be somewhat deformed after repairing.

Not sure if it's intentional but it's neat.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Been playing the game recently with friends, the game is very enjoyable to build in and explore and I don't know what exactly they did right but it manages to thread that needle between the grinds being too long and annoying and sense of accomplishment for unlocking a new batch of recipes and technology.

Comfort levels giving a gameplay reason to add cosmetic decorations is great, smoke physics requiring you to actually think about how to add a chimney to your building is amazing, structural integrity being part of buildings is great so that everything isn't a square box or a tower to the sky and support beams play a actual role, your base coming under attack makes you think on how to plan it out so a horde or some trolls don't just flatten it, dancing around a troll as it destroyed materials I couldn't harvest yet was a great feeling as I skipped ahead to a early fine bow.

I do have some annoyances I hope they work on during early access though.

It shouldn't require a crafting bench placed to build anything, I get what they wanted to go for but you just end up with random unused benchs everywhere as you expand your base.

Crafting should pull available resources from all nearby chests instead of just your inventory.

Bronze is a hell of a grind to the point I don't see myself wasting it on any weapons or armor with their steep prices, which takes a bit of the thrill out of unlocking a new tech level.

Sute cores probably shouldn't be required for the kiln since it feels cheesey to destroy/build the smelter and kiln when not using the other until you got 10 total cores.

Berries should be farmable.

Rafts should have oars.

Terrain modification needs work and some people discovered that modifiying the terrain too much can cause FPS drops in areas as the game keeps track of every difference from the default generation and can get overloaded with info to keep track of.

Anyway to end on have some pictures of the place I built.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Any tips for making honey easier? We had a devil of a time finding queens but eventually got 5 setup, only to get all 5 destroyed in a raid. I'll protect them better next time, but finding queens is a PITA.

My only idea is doing fresh single player worlds to look

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

basically either do that or console them in

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Nosre posted:

Any tips for making honey easier? We had a devil of a time finding queens but eventually got 5 setup, only to get all 5 destroyed in a raid. I'll protect them better next time, but finding queens is a PITA.

My only idea is doing fresh single player worlds to look

You just run around the meadows looking for abandoned houses with hives on them, then dismantle the part of the house that has the hive on it so the hive despawns, leaving the queen behind. You can plop a workbench down nearly anywhere, and I always get a queen from the hive this way.

Sounds like the real trick is to not have all your hives smashed in a raid

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
This game is very fun. Haven't had a timesink like this in quite some time. Reminds me a lot of the early days of Minecraft :ohdear:

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It shouldn't require a crafting bench placed to build anything, I get what they wanted to go for but you just end up with random unused benchs everywhere as you expand your base.

Crafting should pull available resources from all nearby chests instead of just your inventory.

Bronze is a hell of a grind to the point I don't see myself wasting it on any weapons or armor with their steep prices, which takes a bit of the thrill out of unlocking a new tech level.

Sute cores probably shouldn't be required for the kiln since it feels cheesey to destroy/build the smelter and kiln when not using the other until you got 10 total cores.

Berries should be farmable.

Rafts should have oars.

Terrain modification needs work and some people discovered that modifiying the terrain too much can cause FPS drops in areas as the game keeps track of every difference from the default generation and can get overloaded with info to keep track of.

+1.
Crafting benches should just be crafting benches, not spawn prevention as well.

Remove the cores requirement from the recipe and just have the player sacrifice 5 of them at the altar to get the recipes. After that you can build freely.

I think they should expand on those wards they have available and make those prevent spawns in a given area. Voila, a use for extra sute cores you would have leftover.

Bronze would feel a lot better if the 2 copper 1 tin bar recipe yielded either two or three bars of bronze.

Give me the ability to turn off raids. The game is already punishing enough without having the home I worked toward possibly getting destroyed.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Anyway to end on have some pictures of the place I built.

I absolutely love your cross design for the windows! :) Going to do that myself.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Destroy the bench after you're done building the thing

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Right now all I want is the ability to find the vendor in the world. I'd love to do the legwork but I suspect I'm gonna just use a seed where they're already found.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Inzombiac posted:

With enough of the raise ground tool, could you make a base that is effectively underground?

Vanadium posted:

You can't create terrain overhangs, so I guess you could have a base that is lower than the surrounding ground level, but you won't get a natural ceiling that way.

So I found this on reddit... definitely an awesome idea and I want to recreate this immediately:

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Right now all I want is the ability to find the vendor in the world. I'd love to do the legwork but I suspect I'm gonna just use a seed where they're already found.

Fuzzysocksucker posted:

Saw this over on reddit. If you're really stuck trying to find the trader: Valheim Merchant Finder. It can either give you a general hint like 'roughly 8km west from a circle of chained rocks', or display a map for you (its not the actual map, just a white circle with black dot.)

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Gort posted:

Destroy the bench after you're done building the thing

Yea, but why even include that step then? what does it add?

Communist Bear posted:

I absolutely love your cross design for the windows! :) Going to do that myself.

Thanks, I really liked how it came out.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 23, 2021

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

How do you manage the whitelist for wards?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

All the boats do have oars - the first speed for all of them is rowing power. If you mean that other players should be able to join you for a speed boost I 100% agree.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Visually yo

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Workbench upgrades should grow the circle of influence for that workbench so you don't end up spamming workbenches all over your growing fort. :colbert:

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Also its straight up ridiculous that's its 3:1 for a bar of bronze. It should be 3:3 or 3:2 at the worst.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Sankis posted:

Also its straight up ridiculous that's its 3:1 for a bar of bronze. It should be 3:3 or 3:2 at the worst.

At the very least the weights for the copper and tin bars should be 4. It would make more sense since the ore is 10 and the bronze is 12. I can accept the copper/tin bars being smaller in actual volume/weight than the bronze.

The metal getting heavier than unrefined ore is kinda silly. What is going on inside my magic smelter. Actually never mind it runs on magic fire cubes poo poo probably IS magic.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Sankis posted:

Why exactly is it ridiculous? And how does increasing the cost of making bars even further improve things?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

thanks for the idea about ripping down my smelter so i can make the kiln and stock up on charcoal first. i'd accidentally made a couple charcoal earlier due to overcooking, but i was hoping to not have to deal with that to get my initial load of coal. i'd never considered just ripping down the smelter to use the cores elsewhere because the idea kind of sounds dumb on the surface, but i guess that's the result of both structures needing surtling cores. i mostly don't have the patience to scout out even more burial mounds right now and mostly just want to do other things in the game at the moment.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Badly Jester posted:

Why exactly is it ridiculous? And how does increasing the cost of making bars even further improve things?

They're saying that since you're putting in 2 bars of copper and one bar of tin, you should get 2 or 3 bars of bronze out of the deal, not 1.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Inzombiac posted:

They're saying that since you're putting in 2 bars of copper and one bar of tin, you should get 2 or 3 bars of bronze out of the deal, not 1.

That would literally defeat the entire purpose of bronze being more valuable and useful a resource than copper and tin alone, both in game and IRL.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

AccountSupervisor posted:

That would literally defeat the entire purpose of bronze being more valuable and useful a resource than copper and tin alone, both in game and IRL.

So?
Making bronze is much harder than iron, so much that the common advice is to skip the bronze armor and weapons, if possible.

Loads of games don't require carbon in addition to iron to make steel products. This is just a weirdly designed material gate that doesn't really add anything to the experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
So I finally found a swamp dungeon and holy poo poo so much iron. I popped a portal on top of it and fenced it in, then built a smelter on site so I could start processing the iron right away.

Then my dumb rear end realized bars are also blocked from teleporting. Now I have to decide if I'm ferrying all this stuff home or building a second base (and getting enough copper and bronze for a new forge). I'm thinking new base, especially since my first one is a godawful half open hodgepodge house with no aesthetic value whatsoever.