Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

This game is on sale and looks real pretty and I love me all manner of space games.

Is it actually fun though? I have a worry it's gonna turn out as a spreadsheets in space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
You'll have to define "fun" here. I, for one, am here for sitting docked at one of my stations and playing a quasi-4X RTS.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Nahh... The only reason to do spreadsheets is balancing complex outputs. And maybe this terraforming thing, but that's pure economic endgame. X4 is sandbox so you can gently caress around and be a pirate or whatever you want without even engaging with station building.

I spend most of my time in X4 looking for sweet fights, and doing missions to afford my space navy.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Ok went ahead and bought it. Time to start loving around in spaaaaaaaaace.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It also does have a pretty good spreadsheet built into it to the degree that you might want to do it, the station layout manager is pretty simple and can keep track of big industrial complexes, and plus you get to enjoy actually building the big space factories too, so there's a nice aesthetic element to it.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I just use online calculators to make sure I am building the right amount of that type of station to supply another one without excess.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Same but also the in-game logical view has a pretty good breakdown of each pieces consumption and production per hour, so the in-game tools seem fine if you're okay with no min-maxing (which I am not okay with)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Let's not kid ourselves, the learning curve is steep - perhaps not as steep as Dwarf Fortress, but it's going to take effort.

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
Hows the fleet battles in this compared to something like say starsector, played it a bunch now with mods and need something similar and i think this is the closest to that(that is starsector with 4x mods like nexelerin)

That is, can i chill in a big rear end ship and watch big beams cut enemy ships into pieces like in freespace :science:

Delerion fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 19, 2021

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Delerion posted:

Hows the fleet battles in this compared to something like say starsector, played it a bunch now with mods and need something similar and i think this is the closest to that(that is starsector with 4x mods like nexelerin)

Not having played Star Sector but seen some quick screenshots - X4 is in 3D!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

The capital ship battles in x4 are pretty decent, but they were actually significantly better in the previous entry of the series X Rebirth. Most everything else about that game was worse than tho.

There are some interlocking issues with the game that make the fights not as good as they could be. But that said, there's something special about leading your carefully constructed fleet to victory over a Holy Order battlegroup, or struggling to hold off literal streams of reinforcements while besieging a Xenon platform.

Honestly its hard to compare them to starsector, though its safe to say there's less variety and mechanical depth.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I bounced off the game when it came out , but I think im ready to give it another try. How is the weapon variety now in X4? I seem to remember there were only a few at launch. I've missed the crazy weapon variety in X3.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

They added faction specific weapons to every player race, and gave the Split basically their own constellation of weapon choices that are separate from vanilla. It helped a lot. (tho frankly some of them are OP, combat design and balance have never been egosoft's strengths.)

It's unclear if the new DLC will have new weapons, but presumably Terrans will have at least *some* of their own weapons. If we're lucky the pirate faction (almost certainly the Yaki) will too.

They also did an FX pass on a lot of weapons and it helps a lot more than you might think just reading that.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 20, 2021

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I'm excited for the Yaki. Hell yes pirates.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

They added faction specific weapons to every player race, and gave the Split basically their own constellation of weapon choices that are separate from vanilla. It helped a lot. (tho frankly some of them are OP, combat design and balance have never been egosoft's strengths.)

It's unclear if the new DLC will have new weapons, but presumably Terrans will have at least *some* of their own weapons. If we're lucky the pirate faction (almost certainly the Yaki) will too.

They also did an FX pass on a lot of weapons and it helps a lot more than you might think just reading that.

Ok cool. Hopefully this isn't :can:, but....Boron?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Travic posted:

Ok cool. Hopefully this isn't :can:, but....Boron?

Currently unlikely, cuz they want the boron to be actually aquatic. The only boron in the game lives in a tube....

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Shiiiiiit.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
In space, everyone lives in a tube...

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I'm still sad that gatling guns in games don't sound like the real thing, when the real thing sounds loving TERRIFYING and the game ones sound like angry xylophones. The only game that has them right is Arma3 with mods, because of course.

The Split star destroyer packed full of gatling guns should sound like an angry hornet nest.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think there are mods that redo the sounds, and the VRO mod makes the guns in general a fair bit deadlier and pushes the engagement range out a lot further as well as making the gun handling a lot more varied. I like it in general, I think it makes the combat just generally feel better though it's quite different and you do need a new game because it adds internal shield generators to ships which don't work without a restart.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Antigravitas posted:

I'm still sad that gatling guns in games don't sound like the real thing, when the real thing sounds loving TERRIFYING and the game ones sound like angry xylophones. The only game that has them right is Arma3 with mods, because of course.

The Split star destroyer packed full of gatling guns should sound like an angry hornet nest.

Multi-barreled rotary weapons tend to have really low RoFs in games compared to what they should actually be, which also affects the sound.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Also I don’t think they actually rotate. At least the neutron one does not. :colbert:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also ARMA3 does have miniguns that approximate the proper ROF and they are entirely unusable because they lag the server to poo poo and back, which is probably why they don't model them in other games.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

IIRC the TF2 minigun cheats and just shows cosmetic shots to make it look like it's firing more.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Seems entirely on-brand for ARMA3, though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Taerkar posted:

IIRC the TF2 minigun cheats and just shows cosmetic shots to make it look like it's firing more.

IIRC in TFC it was actually more like an automatic shotgun, in that it fired multiple rays simultaneously.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

You can fake it without affecting the sound, just play the brrt sample as normal. X4 already has fine looking brrts, they just don't sound brrt-y enough.

This is how I want my CIWS on my carriers to sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xGzAdZF_zo&t=2001s

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 21, 2021

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Travic posted:

Shiiiiiit.

I wish we had the Boron.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

One thing I'm a little dissatisfied with is the music in X4. I enjoy it well enough, but, like, flying into kingdom end in X3 for the first time and hearing that music, and seeing giant space humpback whales trundling about, was a really memorable and awesome experience.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I've been reading up on X4 and trying to catch up on what happened in Albion Prelude and Rebirth. I saw mention of Marteen Winters releasing 10 billion Xenon drones on the Solar system. When did that happen/how the gently caress did they fight them off? Or is that referring to the original time the Xenon attacked Earth long before the games?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I wish they had a bigger team to embrace the lore more and do something with it.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Travic posted:

I've been reading up on X4 and trying to catch up on what happened in Albion Prelude and Rebirth. I saw mention of Marteen Winters releasing 10 billion Xenon drones on the Solar system. When did that happen/how the gently caress did they fight them off? Or is that referring to the original time the Xenon attacked Earth long before the games?

I'm not up on my X4 lore but I think that's the Xenon attack that happens long before the games. The one that eventually leads to the Argon becoming a thing.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Airspace posted:

I'm not up on my X4 lore but I think that's the Xenon attack that happens long before the games. The one that eventually leads to the Argon becoming a thing.

That's actually what ends the Terran Conflict; after the events of X3:TC the Earth State inserts clandestine agents into the commonwealth governments because they (correctly) suspect that the Argon et al. are experimenting on AGI, which the Terrans are really not cool with (because of the whole original Xenon thing). At the beginning of Albion Prelude, the Argon find out about the agents, and they retaliate by destroying the torus surrounding Earth, causing millions of deaths and kicking off a hot war from the cold war the two factions had been in. The Argon eventually gain the upper hand by using the AGI they developed, which basically are a new generation of Xenon drones, and the solar system is only saved from this onslaught because Elena Kho and some Paranid guy trick them into entering a gate that's been redirected into a black hole. The ancients who control the gate network are so completely appalled by the fact that these idiots decided to re-invent the Xenon that they completely shut down the gate network for like 30 years, leading directly into the events of X: Rebirth when the gates start opening again.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
drat, that's intense. Maybe I need to play Albion Prelude first so I can see all that happen.

It is pretty dumb of the Argon to try messing with AGI though. They've been fighting the Xenon for 700 years at this point.

Travic fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 23, 2021

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Travic posted:

drat, that's intense. Maybe I need to play Albion Prelude first so I can see all that happen.

It is pretty dumb of the Argon to try messing with AGI though. They've been fighting the Xenon for 700 years at this point.

While Albion Prelude isn't bad, I will say that most of that information comes from the X-Encyclopedia that came with the big deluxe bundle of all the old X games Egosoft had available a while back. The gate closure stuff all happens after Albion Prelude, and the game itself frames the plot really weirdly because while it doesn't pretend like the bombing of the Torus wasn't genocide, for some reason it still expected you to act like the Argon were the good guys and the Terran plot was only added to the game after launch.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

3 posted:

While Albion Prelude isn't bad, I will say that most of that information comes from the X-Encyclopedia that came with the big deluxe bundle of all the old X games Egosoft had available a while back. The gate closure stuff all happens after Albion Prelude, and the game itself frames the plot really weirdly because while it doesn't pretend like the bombing of the Torus wasn't genocide, for some reason it still expected you to act like the Argon were the good guys and the Terran plot was only added to the game after launch.

That would explain why it was so janky when I started as a Terran Commander. :v: I think I got the Super Box, but I'll have to check when I get home.

One upside to starting a game in AP is now I feel better about X4. One of my biggest complaints (and again I'm sorry if this is :can:) was that I remembered ships in X3 being bigger. Or at least it felt that way. Starting AP and flying next to some M1s and M2s showed that I was wrong. Win win!

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

3 posted:

Is any of this in the X4 encyclopedia timeline entries? I only ever unlocked like 4 of them.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

man the ships added in the XR ship pack mod are so gorgeous. the X4 ships are decent but man, X:R had some gorgeous ships apparently.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

X:R doesn't just have gorgeous ships, it also has some really cool sectors. They spent some serious effort on making memorable, beautiful sectors with unique vistas. X4 feels really barren in comparison. Split Vendetta brought some of that back but not nearly enough.

Also, I kind of still want capital ship jump drives back.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I kinda wanna try X:R while Egosoft sorts out these 3000-series bugs, is that a crazy idea? Is it in a good state with all the DLC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
As someone who likes X3 and X4 - I've still never been able to enjoy Rebirth.