Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Man, the RNG is really boning me with respect to Ares' quest for his favor. It's just not popping and I'm well over the 10k kill threshold for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Similarly, I'm trying to get Chaos's legendary boon for the prophecy collection and I'm wondering if there's more to it than the wiki's claim of any other Chaos boon being the only prerequisite. I've gotten every duo and every other legendary.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ManMythLegend posted:

Man, the RNG is really boning me with respect to Ares' quest for his favor. It's just not popping and I'm well over the 10k kill threshold for it.

Yeah. There's more than a few character quests that you'll likely be waiting on due to RNG. I was around run 130 before I finished my last character storyline.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah. There's more than a few character quests that you'll likely be waiting on due to RNG. I was around run 130 before I finished my last character storyline.

I'm around run 250 and have yet to unlock Zeus' heart.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Does anyone get the joke/reference with it always being 7:48 on the sundial?

Sad Panda posted:

I'm around run 250 and have yet to unlock Zeus' heart.

That one just randomly unlocked for me in the middle of a run after a picked Zeus' Call. :shrug:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I think the joke is just that you’ve bought a super expensive sundial and put it in an underground chamber where the lighting is completely static, but are still trying to use it to tell time.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Ariong posted:

I think the joke is just that you’ve bought a super expensive sundial and put it in an underground chamber where the lighting is completely static, but are still trying to use it to tell time.

Makes sense.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Can I play this with a mouse and keyboard or do I want to have a controller ready? I'm going to be on the road for a few days and it looks like my Haswell-era laptop can handle this game.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

Shumagorath posted:

Can I play this with a mouse and keyboard or do I want to have a controller ready? I'm going to be on the road for a few days and it looks like my Haswell-era laptop can handle this game.

some people swear by KBM and do just fine, I found it was destroying my wrists though

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Hello Sailor posted:

Sounds like they were using some sort of homebrewed cloud sharing to get around the usual save-game behavior and got bit by it.

Nope! No idea what happened. I’ve just continued from the earlier save and I’ll beat dad one of these days. Was nice to have beaten him on the first try! At least I’ll always have the achievement!

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

Shumagorath posted:

I play with keyboard and mouse. I haven't experienced any issues and it feels smooth and controllable to me. I think the major difference usually cited is that dashing is smoother with a controller and you get more angle options.

My keyboard is getting old and I think this game is killing the spring in my spacebar though.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Shumagorath posted:

started with kb+m, hated it, switched to controller and played it non-stop for three weeks having a blast. ymmv.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Frida Call Me posted:

started with kb+m, hated it, switched to controller and played it non-stop for three weeks having a blast. ymmv.

Had the exact opposite experience. Started with kb+m, had a blast. Switched to controller because I was worried about wearing out my keyboard (:v:) and hated it. Felt awkward as gently caress and I felt like I lost all the precision to my movements.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Is there an easy way to check which weapons i've killed which bosses with?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Is there an easy way to check which weapons i've killed which bosses with?

I think looking at the Pact of Punishment is the best? I don't think the admin office is that granular, but once you're into turning up heat, you can look at what bounties you've collected.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Closest way to check is opening the menu where you can change a weapon's aspects. It won't tell you exactly what boss you've killed, but it will say the highest heat you've completed.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Fartington Butts posted:

Closest way to check is opening the menu where you can change a weapon's aspects. It won't tell you exactly what boss you've killed, but it will say the highest heat you've completed.

Pact of Punishment before you start a run will give you a list of what you've killed at the current heat level. There's 4 grey boxes at the bottom that show if you've picked up the loot from a given boss with that weapon. This only works after you have the pact though, but I suppose you could go up to the door with each weapon to see which one you haven't killed Thesus with or something.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Whoops. Totally forgot about that boss list in the Pact.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Finally got nyx to give me the sword hidden aspect...what do I do with this thing? I remember someone saying that you can complete the combo with a dash in between swings but I can’t seem to do it. Gonna try Artemis for the big crits I think.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Finally got nyx to give me the sword hidden aspect...what do I do with this thing? I remember someone saying that you can complete the combo with a dash in between swings but I can’t seem to do it. Gonna try Artemis for the big crits I think.

Artemis on Attack is good, get a decent Special and Cast with that and you can really rip through enemies. Also be on the lookout for Hammers that have %-based damage boosts, or even better the ones that make certain attacks hit multiple times.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

a fatguy baldspot posted:

hidden sword has three attacks that are always performed in this order

1. piercing thrust with a quick windup
2. slash with a wide area and a slow windup
3. slash that deals a shitload of damage in a wide area and has a small built-in dash. slowest windup of the 3.

after you perform 3, you go back to 1.

caveats:
a. dash attack, then attack allows you to attack twice quickly!!!
b. taking another action between the combo moves breaks the combo
c. you can dash during EVERY windup animation. this allows for incredible repositioning ability to dodge attacks while you're charging up your mega fuckoff sword.

oh and the special is great for sitting and tanking but i hardly use it once i get some boons on the attack

Frida Call Me fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Feb 23, 2021

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
I like going aphrodite on attack for the hidden sword aspect. Not only is she the highest % attack boon but weakness lets you proc privelaged status and the damage reduction goes great with the special aura. Facetank everything.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

I like going aphrodite on attack for the hidden sword aspect. Not only is she the highest % attack boon but weakness lets you proc privelaged status and the damage reduction goes great with the special aura. Facetank everything.

Go Aphrodite/Athena to stack Deflection boons and Bronze Skin atop Aphrodite's Different League and weakness. Then get all of the hearts you can, and sit in front of dad taking like 5 damage per hit on a life bar with 500HP.

Don't forget Aphrodite has a boon that makes health gain from hearts bigger, and Athena has a shield the deflects one hit and recharges every 20 seconds.

You can do stupid things with this. Someone else said it, but hidden sword is probably the most overtuned aspect in the game.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Is Charon just stupid hard for everyone, or is it just me?

I got the chance to fight him twice recently, and both times I got destroyed. It was still early in the run both times, so I didn't have many boons or much health yet.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Warmachine posted:

Go Aphrodite/Athena to stack Deflection boons and Bronze Skin atop Aphrodite's Different League and weakness. Then get all of the hearts you can, and sit in front of dad taking like 5 damage per hit on a life bar with 500HP.

Don't forget Aphrodite has a boon that makes health gain from hearts bigger, and Athena has a shield the deflects one hit and recharges every 20 seconds.

You can do stupid things with this. Someone else said it, but hidden sword is probably the most overtuned aspect in the game.

I haven't had much luck with big fuckoff sword because of how radically different it plays than everything else in the game. I should go for this and see what happens.

Inu posted:

Is Charon just stupid hard for everyone, or is it just me?

I got the chance to fight him twice recently, and both times I got destroyed. It was still early in the run both times, so I didn't have many boons or much health yet.

The trick to beating Charon is to learn to stay behind him (when he's not charging the attacks from outside the arena). All of his attacks are mega telegraphed except for the giant oar swing (which is only sorta telegraphed). But the oar doesn't hit directly behind him. Once you get his patterns down, he's probably the easiest megaboss. The problem is (I think) his attacks have the highest damage per hit in the game. So, he can nuke a Death Defiance in two hits without some resistance/weakness stacks.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Warmachine posted:

I did this but demeter special for chill and was able to facetank even EM4 dad. Well, I avoided some attacks but still he was doing like 8-10 damage on most attacks when I was in my aura. 25 damage max on his big attacks.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
My problem with charon is I always fight him in tartarus with only one boon and sometimes with a chaos penalty lol. I think, eh nbd I can get those death defiances back later but then of course they opportunities don't show up.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Athena, Aphrodite, dionysus, demeter combo on hidden aspect sword is my goto. Tons of damage reduction in Bronze skin, different league, broken resolve, positive outlook, damage reduction in the fog, slowdown from hangover+chill, etc. You get the chance for bonus hp from hearts and nectars. Plus you get access to some duo boons that mesh well with the sword.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Yeah I went Artemis and got a 30% attack speed Hermès boon so I just won the run easily, thanks yall, definitely my favorite weapon now

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Been trying 32 for few attempts now. Before this I mainly hade Extreme Measures + Middle Management, so I'm still getting used to having the regular enemies hitting like trucks.

How do people feel about Benefits Package? It's one of the highest heat contributors, but a few of the modifiers really mess me up - just had a run ended in Elysium by a room full of superfast archers.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I use 2x Benefits Package but I also don't use either increased health or increased spawns, so even if stuff is dangerous it still mostly dies super fast.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Nostalgamus posted:

Been trying 32 for few attempts now. Before this I mainly hade Extreme Measures + Middle Management, so I'm still getting used to having the regular enemies hitting like trucks.

How do people feel about Benefits Package? It's one of the highest heat contributors, but a few of the modifiers really mess me up - just had a run ended in Elysium by a room full of superfast archers.

I used benefit packages and em3 when I got my 32 heat run. First level of forced overtime. 7 minute timer. Definitely no extra enemies but did increase health a good amount as well as prices

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Anyone know if increased spawns increases the number of mobs on the field at once?

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Hello Sailor posted:

Anyone know if increased spawns increases the number of mobs on the field at once?

I don't have a hard proven answer but in my experience, it does, but it varies by room to having more waves

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

My problem with charon is I always fight him in tartarus with only one boon and sometimes with a chaos penalty lol. I think, eh nbd I can get those death defiances back later but then of course they opportunities don't show up.

Sometimes Patroclus-sempai never saves your run, yeah, but it's always worth trying.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Woohoo, finally beat dad on my 35th escape attempt - no idea whether that's bad or good. I suspect the former! Third time fighting him, which is odd since I'd died probably 10 times to the Champions of Elysium.

Used the bow (which prior to this run was my weakest weapon by far), I had Ares boons for doom on attack + special, and the Zeus boon for chain lightning on cast, along with the Jolt upgrade, Artermis's call, and the boon that causes ~150 damage when your bloodstone pops out of an enemy. Basically I just circled pillars the entire fight, popping out to cast and shoot off doom. But of course the MVP for the whole run was the previous run, which I'd used to save up the 500 darkness for +1 death defiance, without which I would've died in phase 2.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
30-ish runs sounds about average, to be honest, I think that's roughly my first clear time.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

webmeister posted:

Woohoo, finally beat dad on my 35th escape attempt - no idea whether that's bad or good. I suspect the former! Third time fighting him, which is odd since I'd died probably 10 times to the Champions of Elysium.

Used the bow (which prior to this run was my weakest weapon by far), I had Ares boons for doom on attack + special, and the Zeus boon for chain lightning on cast, along with the Jolt upgrade, Artermis's call, and the boon that causes ~150 damage when your bloodstone pops out of an enemy. Basically I just circled pillars the entire fight, popping out to cast and shoot off doom. But of course the MVP for the whole run was the previous run, which I'd used to save up the 500 darkness for +1 death defiance, without which I would've died in phase 2.

I find elysium to be more technically challenging because you need to keep track of two bosses. Ironically, I think EM3 elysium is easier than normal because Theseus is kinda a no-factor most of the fight.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

How does Ambrosia work? I have at least two people I've talked to a few times now with no option to give nectar and the only thing in the tome is to 'deepen your relationship to learn more'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

pro starcraft loser posted:

How does Ambrosia work? I have at least two people I've talked to a few times now with no option to give nectar and the only thing in the tome is to 'deepen your relationship to learn more'.

if you check their entries in the codex, you'll see they have a bunch of hearts, some filled based on how many nectars you've given them. there's a lock on one of them, which you remove by getting and fulfilling some kind of request from them, after which you can give ambrosia, which is required for the epilogue