Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Hub Cat posted:

Cruelty Squad is a genuinely fun retro shooter that draws inspiration from games like Deus Ex with an aesthetic that's going to be utterly repellent to 90% of people. If you're interested in playing a weird rear end 90s Cyber fever dream retro shooter that lets you complete levels in a variety of ways its great fun but if you think you're going to be turned off by the aesthetic or the soundtrack you should probably go with your gut and skip it.

I see they've added fishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

StarkRavingMad posted:

I see they've added fishing.

i was going to wait until it came out of ea but

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Making my way through Halo. It's a nice historical trip into early console FPS, but...

...please tell me The Library was the worst of it; please tell me I don't have to suffer through any more levels like that...

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

FutureCop posted:

Making my way through Halo. It's a nice historical trip into early console FPS, but...

...please tell me The Library was the worst of it; please tell me I don't have to suffer through any more levels like that...

This is legitimately adorable

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Internet Explorer posted:

Yeah, sorry, I'm not seeing it.

The people making it are the same that did the tony hawk and crash bandicoot remasters, so I'm still holding out hope.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
The good news is that yes, the Library is the worst of it and the rest of the game is better. The bad news is that there are more Halo games! Even better news is that Reach has no bad levels, so just play Reach!

My friends and I are going to play some good old L4D2 tomorrow. I haven't played in... let's see, my last achievement is dated 8/21/12. Kind of a longshot asking here in 2021, but are there any must-have mods? The workshop page is... not helpful to browse.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm confused, there's a Persona 5 coming out on Steam but it's a different Persona 5 to the one that came out on console a year or two back, but features the same characters from that game, but the original Persona 5 still isn't available on Steam?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

persona 5 strikers is not persona 5

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Jerusalem posted:

I'm confused, there's a Persona 5 coming out on Steam but it's a different Persona 5 to the one that came out on console a year or two back, but features the same characters from that game, but the original Persona 5 still isn't available on Steam?

It's a musou spinoff, set after the original game. As in, the Dynasty Warriors games. They make them for lots of different things, off the top of my head there are Berserk, One Piece, and Dragon Quest musous on steam.

They vary wildly in quality, I haven't heard whether the Persona 5 one is good or not (it hasn't been released outside japan).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ahh okay, thanks, I've never played any musou game but every time I see a video of one in action it never looks like the type of thing I'd enjoy.... which really sucks, because goddamn I would love a proper One Piece game. Somebody just re-skin Assassin's Creed Odyssey, dammit :colbert:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

rt4 posted:

Is Cruelty Squad an actual fun game or are the favorable Steam reviews just dumb meme poo poo?

I really like it, but it's more of a "boomer shooter" with a splash of deus ex elements than the other way around. It's entirely up to you if you can stomach the intentionally abrasive graphics and sound, but for me I found them cohesive enough with the small bits of lore in the game that it felt like a good fit.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Ahh okay, thanks, I've never played any musou game but every time I see a video of one in action it never looks like the type of thing I'd enjoy.... which really sucks, because goddamn I would love a proper One Piece game. Somebody just re-skin Assassin's Creed Odyssey, dammit :colbert:

Strikers is definitely the loosest interpretation of a "musou game" out of all the musou spin-off games that have been released. It's probably better described as an action-RPG side story to Persona 5, with some combat mechanics that will feel familiar if you've played a lot of musou games.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Seems like people enjoy botting Blizzard games more than playing them, even Hearthstone had bots

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

blizzard games are generally very popular which means more demand for RMT and more bots

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Are there any non-deckbuilding card games out there on Steam? I'm talking stuff like Slay the Spire, Monster Train, Necronator, and even stuff like The Dungeon Beneath (which is mostly the same system just without being explicitly cards). I enjoy the style of games but I can never play them too long because I hate the random nature of building up a deck. Something like Slay the Spire only you start each run choosing a deck theme (like Armor Ironclad) and you'd get fewer card draws as you progress but each time you do it's specific to that theme. Or just starting with a pre-assigned deck and in-game awards are only relics and money to be spent on consumables and stat refills.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

nessin posted:

Are there any non-deckbuilding card games out there on Steam? I'm talking stuff like Slay the Spire, Monster Train, Necronator, and even stuff like The Dungeon Beneath (which is mostly the same system just without being explicitly cards). I enjoy the style of games but I can never play them too long because I hate the random nature of building up a deck. Something like Slay the Spire only you start each run choosing a deck theme (like Armor Ironclad) and you'd get fewer card draws as you progress but each time you do it's specific to that theme. Or just starting with a pre-assigned deck and in-game awards are only relics and money to be spent on consumables and stat refills.

Steamworld Quest is a deckbuilder without randomized cards. It's basically a jrpg to StS's roguelike. You find cards like you would equipment, always have the same number of cards in your deck, and can change your deck composition basically whenever. As far as I know, there's no outside of combat randomness at all.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

nessin posted:

Card Quest might be exactly what you're looking for. It plays in a way that will feel similar to StS but instead of building a deck in-run, you unlock new equipment for future runs, and each piece of equipment represents like 5 cards or so (been a while since I've played) that will go in your starting deck. There are "relic" equivalents and passive perks that your character gets in-run, but your deck is pretty much the same at the beginning and end of the game.

edit: they literally just announced today that they're resuming development after a year+ hiatus, too.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

There's also Card Hunter, which has a system similar to Steamworld Quest plus a tactical board component. I'm not sure how much the F2P components have taken over in the years since release, though...

Pathfinder Adventures is a digital edition of a tabletop card game in which you upgrade your character's decks permanently as you progress through the campaign. The system has some weird gamey components, though, and it's not as well-tuned as StS.

Gloomhaven deck upgrading is non-randomized and slow, but the game is the gold standard for card-driven tactical combat. The digital edition is coming along nicely and has a randomly-generated campaign system, but the tabletop version's narrative campaign with hand-designed scenarios hasn't been implemented yet.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Feb 23, 2021

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

TOOT BOOT posted:

Seems like people enjoy botting Blizzard games more than playing them, even Hearthstone had bots
I'll admit I used HonorBuddy back in the day just because of my crackhead "bigger number = better than" addiction, almost exclusively for levelling characters or for grindy tradeskills like archaeology. Once that was struck down by the heavy hand of the law I lost interest in the game entirely. That was the only game I've ever done it for, and it was purely because the satisfaction of getting a number as high as it could go was more entertaining than actually working for it.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

quote:

Good morning, @everyone

As you have noticed, we’ve been keeping pretty quiet for a while. With this in mind, the first piece of news we have for you is to confirm that Bloodlines 2 is still in development.

Secondly, we have made the hard decision that Hardsuit Labs will no longer be leading the development of Bloodlines 2 - which also means that we will not be releasing in 2021 as previously planned. Since we cannot at this time communicate a new release date, we've also decided to stop accepting pre-orders for the time being.

This game is very important to us and it has been an ambitious project from the very start. In order to meet our goals for it, we’ve come to the conclusion that a change is needed and, as a result, more development time is required.

We’d like to take this opportunity to honor Hardsuit Labs for their efforts and thank them for their hard work on the project. The studio has done a tremendous job in laying the foundations for the game and we hope that you, the community, will also appreciate their contribution to Bloodlines 2.

We’re thankful for your continuous support throughout the game’s development. We understand how important this is to you, and we’d love to share more with you. As soon as we can, we’ll let you know what the future development team of Bloodlines 2 will look like.

VtM Bloodlines 2 is getting an entirely new dev team to finish the game lol. This was shared by Paradox on the Bloodlines 2 Discord.

It's getting Duke Nukem Forever'd.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Goddamn, I wasn't excited for the game before (as it struck me as a shameless IP cash grab), but even I'm surprised about how little of a poo poo they apparently gave.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Geez, how bad were things going that they got rid of the entire team, and don't have a new one to announce right away.

That game is dead in the water.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Has anyone tried Strikers? It looks awesome, but I've never gotten into dynasty warriors and I'm worried it'll have that same feel where it's fun for 30-60 minutes, then it's another 59 hours of the same thing.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

When Bloodlines 2 was announced I remember thinking that its going to be great seeing people learn from the good and the bad from the original and give us a polished, modern version of it, and yet everything about the production since the middle of last year has only hinted that its been a complete disaster lol

I'm looking forward to the stories about where it all went wrong.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Remember that video of a game where you fought a gnome/dwarf that got progressively more psychedelic as you dodged music beats? That game, Everhood, is releasing next week.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Omi no Kami posted:

Has anyone tried Strikers? It looks awesome, but I've never gotten into dynasty warriors and I'm worried it'll have that same feel where it's fun for 30-60 minutes, then it's another 59 hours of the same thing.

I don’t think it’s released outside of Japan yet. I have it preordered because Steam completely short circuits my impulse control, so I’ll probably post some updates tomorrow when I can play it.

E: oh hey I guess it unlocked at midnight, not 1pm.

sad question
May 30, 2020

nessin posted:

If I understand correctly what you want, you might enjoy System Crash or Card City Nights. You decide what cards are in your deck before combat and earn more through gameplay. I enjoyed both.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I don’t think it’s released outside of Japan yet. I have it preordered because Steam completely short circuits my impulse control, so I’ll probably post some updates tomorrow when I can play it.

E: oh hey I guess it unlocked at midnight, not 1pm.

Yeah, I thought it was releasing in a few days but I got the "Yo, the thing's out" email... I'll wait to hear from some folks who've got it, but man it looks neat.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Gorn Myson posted:

When Bloodlines 2 was announced I remember thinking that its going to be great seeing people learn from the good and the bad from the original and give us a polished, modern version of it, and yet everything about the production since the middle of last year has only hinted that its been a complete disaster lol

I'm looking forward to the stories about where it all went wrong.

Right, wasn't it basically a few months away from release at some point? The footage released for it really didn't make the game look that bad, so I'd be interested to know what the actual state of it was at that point and what exactly they've spent so long redesigning. It can't just be story revisions and some tech issues at this point.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Strikers is very good, but definitely go in with the expectation that you're playing a Persona game with musou elements rather than a full Dynasty Warriors sort of deal. It's also a sequel and wastes no time recapping the original, so it probably won't do much for you if you haven't already played P5.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

FutureCop posted:

The level right after The Library is a level you played before, but now you're going the other way! Rejoice!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tricky posted:

Strikers is very good, but definitely go in with the expectation that you're playing a Persona game with musou elements rather than a full Dynasty Warriors sort of deal. It's also a sequel and wastes no time recapping the original, so it probably won't do much for you if you haven't already played P5.

I’m half an hour in and there’s only been two short battles. Definitely a persona game. Starts a bit faster than 5 did at least.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Bloodlines 2 trailer looked awful last year even by very charitable CRPG standards so it's not surprising to hear that development went south.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

ultrafilter posted:

I found something worse: DIY MY LADY IN VR WORLD

(And by "found" I mean "Steam put it in my discovery queue".)

quote:

The current version boasts the following five interactive scenes: 1. The DIY Room, which is the main scene; 2. A pretty club, which includes dancing and carnival scenes; 3. The Dinosaur Island, which shows the beautiful world of dinosaurs; 4. A Sakura park; 5. A luxury villa, which is a perfect place for a couple.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

"I found some cheap dinosaur assets in the Unity store, might as well throw them in there"

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
My go-to card game is Spectromancer which at this point will probably run on a potato. You want the 'Gathering of Power' DLC which I think contains the other ones. It has a custom deck function I haven't played with. Basically you get five rows of abilities - air, earth, fire, water, and one specific to your class, like demon summoning or chronomancy or beasts. Precisely which abilities are available in each duel changes every time - not sure if it's randomized or specific to each opponent. You earn points in each row every round to spend on summoning creatures, Magic style. After every duel you can choose to improve a card, or maybe you get a trinket for more life or something. It tells you what you'll get before you go into the battle.
It's very simple and old-fashioned these days but I do like it. Still does the ancient thing where you have to activate the product codes in the launcher.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Show me the lady who doesn't want to explore the beautiful world of dinosaurs.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/culture/article/playstation-vr-jim-ryan-interview-2021

An article with a bunch of Sony stuff but the most important part:

quote:

What about PlayStation games on PC? A whole slate of them is on the way starting with Days Gone this spring.

Finally, let's go.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Superanos posted:

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/culture/article/playstation-vr-jim-ryan-interview-2021

An article with a bunch of Sony stuff but the most important part:

Finally, let's go.

Would be cool if it doesn't take 3 years for the next Horizon Zero Whatever to make its way to PC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

sirtommygunn posted:

No, they've completely abandoned it.

Yep. Most of the dev team was let go after they started on the Diablo 2 remaster but the same management is in charge of that remaster.