Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the coolest, raddest demon lady in all the land?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 62 17.22%
Bowsette 40 11.11%
Bowsette 44 12.22%
Bowsette 39 10.83%
Bowsette 47 13.06%
128 35.56%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rinkles posted:

If you ever remake the Oracles, Nintendo, do them in WW's style please. Might not be the right era, but it's the best look.

I would prefer they went with something like Link Between Worlds honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

punk rebel ecks posted:

Today I learned that the Neo Geo Pocket Color was actually profitable in America. SNK only shut it down due to it flopping in Japan.

I watched Midnight Diner until the second to the last episode of season 1. I really disliked some of the messages it was putting out.

Oh uh this sounds bad

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Haven't played that one, but I never liked the look of Alttp Link

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Rinkles posted:

This guy was a bad boss fight imo

Oracle of Ages, second temple boss

Ages kinda goes for puzzle bosses a lot but the puzzles are usually easy or jank. I prefer Season’s bosses just being the Zelda 1 guys but more intense, but ymmv.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Haven't played that one, but I never liked the look of Alttp Link

I feel like they did a good job preserving the spirit of ALTTP without making everything look quite as weird as the LTTP pixel art did.

Everything's design is also obviously influenced by the look of the promotional/concept art of ALTTP, which is a nice touch.

I'd like to see an HD, polished up version of this kind of visual design. I certainly like how it looks better than the very odd plastic figure look of link's awakening.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'd settle for their existence being acknowledged in any spinoff or crossover tbh

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i did my first Derelict in No Man's Sky which was a cool trek through a wrecked freighter floating in space infested with horrible monsters, it takes away your sprint and jetpack and makes you walk real slow and you have to avoid the pulsating alien pods so they don't wake up

was pleasantly surprised to find a GTFO mode in this game not gonna lie. wish they were cheaper to access though

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

you can do one a week for free, at least. the purchasable ones are priced with the assumption that youve been playing no mans sky for years and are rich, but theyre not worth it imo because you rarely will find enough stuff to bring a profit. unless you're really desperate for the frigate upgrades

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Samurai Gourmet loving owns btw.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Well, OOT replay is on hold pending this: https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/zelda-ocarina-of-time-pc-port-looks-likely-as-fan-decompilation-clears-65/

That said, having started Wind Waker I am loving charmed to hell by it. The art style is timeless and everything is just so cheerful that it's the perfect antidote to the current miserable winter lockdown situation.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

quote:

However, any potential PC port is not the focus of the ZRET’s work and would require many months of extra porting by an outside team.

Asked about a potential Zelda: Ocarina of Time PC port last year, project member ‘Rozlette’ told Ars Technica that any such version was “not as easy as just [saying] ‘compile it for Windows’.

“There is a lot of code that deals with talking to N64 hardware. The N64 render pipeline is very different than modern OpenGL, for example,” the person said, adding that the entire process would be “close but not quite” as complex as writing a full N64 emulator.

“It remains quite difficult, especially when considering changes that are considered implicit with a PC target, like being able to change the resolution or framerate,” another member added.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

It’ll be on hold indefinitely once Nintendo gets wind of it I guess.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Healbot posted:

It’ll be on hold indefinitely once Nintendo gets wind of it I guess.

None of this is illegal. Reverse engineering a finished project is always fine, and the project doesn't include any of the copyrightable assets like music or textures. The installer for the port can just request you provide your (legally obtained wink wink) ROM from which to extract assets and nothing illegal even happens. The Mario 64 PC port made it all the way to release in this manner.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My favorite story about the OoT decomp is that for years and years, speedrunners had a superstitious notion that the in-game fishing was easiest when the in-game time was around dawn. This isn't documented anywhere in the game or the official guides, but lo and behold when fishing was decomped, time of day does play a role in it.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
A combination of playing through New Vegas again (because I had a hankering after remembering I had never completed it or played any of the DLCs) and Rise of the Tomb Raider (which I am surprised to discover I like more than I thought I would, but only on PC) managed to stir another game longing in me.

So on Friday afternoon I reinstalled Skyrim and am somehow 19 hours in already. I would love to understand what it is about Skyrim that connects with me that Morrowind and Oblivion do not.

People who have played all three - what are the biggest differences? Story is not one of them because I do not do story in Bethesda games, I just like to explore and loot like Indiana Jones but as far as I can see, they are not drastically different from each other.

In Morrowind I made it off the boat and got a bit lost.
In Oblivion I made it out of the main dungeon and into safety.
In Skyrim I have about 400 hours of just milling about down in the south east of the map. (I have the screenshot on my home pc and will post later) and do not get bored of it. By fan account Oblivion is better than Skyrim and Morrowind is better than both. Is it the setup? Do I need to mod the heck out of Morrowind and Oblivion for QoL stuff or is it just a me thing?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
You really like dragons

Or punching dragons

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Should be punching dragons with us in monhun VG!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

fridge corn posted:

Should be punching dragons with us in monhun VG!

What time do you guys play? :) I played a bit with The Noise and FlowerRYTHMN and Wuggles and had fun but obviously time zones mean weekend is usually the only time due to work and GMT.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
:rip:

End Of An Era: Sony Just Announced They’re Stopping Production Of The PS5

quote:

For fans of the iconic console, the decision—effective immediately—is an emotional moment that reveals exactly how far we’ve come since the console’s launch way back on November 12, 2020. In fact, there’s so much to remember, it’s hard to even know where to begin. Most will think back on the unforgettable times they spent with titles ranging from 2020's Astro’s Playroom to the Nioh 2 Remastered, also released in 2020. For us, though? Our nostalgia knobs will always be turned up to eleven just remembering last year’s cross-generation release of Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla.

Of course, it’s better to go out on top than for people to grow tired of you, and we wish Sony all the best on their farewell tour selling off their last backstock of consoles. And as much as we wish the PS5 could last forever, we prefer this to the sad spectacle of watching Microsoft trying to wring a few more months out of the doddering Xbox Series X.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

VideoGames posted:

What time do you guys play? :) I played a bit with The Noise and FlowerRYTHMN and Wuggles and had fun but obviously time zones mean weekend is usually the only time due to work and GMT.

BP is on during our mornings usually. Idk I've been on furlough so ive had lots of time to play, but I'm back at work next week so yeah itll probably be weekends only for me as well

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

fridge corn posted:

BP is on during our mornings usually. Idk I've been on furlough so ive had lots of time to play, but I'm back at work next week so yeah itll probably be weekends only for me as well

Ahh, I am in the key worker industry so no furlough for me whatsoever. Weekends it is! :)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Didn't know you worked at Timpsons VG!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Convex posted:

Didn't know you worked at Timpsons VG!

I cut the best keys and trim the smoothest shoes :3:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I found a photo of VG hard at work

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Kerrzhe posted:

i did my first Derelict in No Man's Sky which was a cool trek through a wrecked freighter floating in space infested with horrible monsters, it takes away your sprint and jetpack and makes you walk real slow and you have to avoid the pulsating alien pods so they don't wake up

was pleasantly surprised to find a GTFO mode in this game not gonna lie. wish they were cheaper to access though

They added ANOTHER major feature?!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rarity posted:

I found a photo of VG hard at work

:discourse:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

good morning chat, I bring you the gift and curse of earworm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTTvnbbJElg

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I had lucid dreams for the first time in a couple years last night. Unfortunately the lucidity only lasted a few minutes before waking up, as tends to happen

It's frustrating that lucid dreams are so difficult to have regularly. I've had them on and off for 15 years and still can't regularly get them to happen.

If I could lucid dream every night, my God, I can't even imagine how awesome that would be

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rinkles posted:

This guy was a bad boss fight imo

Oracle of Ages, second temple boss

Ah yes I remember this fight against the game rating system

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Brutal
https://twitter.com/NESbot_feed/status/1364112986323976192?s=19
https://twitter.com/AutomaticZen/status/1364116205280382976?s=19

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

good morning chat, I bring you the gift and curse of earworm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTTvnbbJElg

0:10: Eh, this doesn't seem like much of an earworm.

0:25: Okay yeah maybe not any time soon but like next week this'll pop into my head randomly.

1:04 HEY HEY HEY HEY HEEEEYYYYYYYYY

Goddrat you, Ciaphas.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Simone Magus posted:

I had lucid dreams for the first time in a couple years last night. Unfortunately the lucidity only lasted a few minutes before waking up, as tends to happen

It's frustrating that lucid dreams are so difficult to have regularly. I've had them on and off for 15 years and still can't regularly get them to happen.

If I could lucid dream every night, my God, I can't even imagine how awesome that would be

I lucid dreamed once in my life and with that freedom I chose to play the trombone. In a ska bad. Thanks, brain.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I lucid dreamed once in my life and with that freedom I chose to play the trombone. In a ska bad. Thanks, brain.

truly, you were blessed that night

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
https://twitter.com/VtM_Bloodlines/status/1364124564620517378

hm.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im sort of surprised there was this much lag from "fire the people we hired to give this a veneer of continuity" to "fire em all"

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I want to meet the people that worked on the Ring Fit mini-games "Smack Back" and "Squattery Wheel" we need to have words.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Because if there's one thing that is well-known to do a software project good, it's taking it away from the development team in mid development and handing it to a different to make sense of what the previous guys already did with it, lol

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

It's a sign. A sign for you to kick the system. A sign for you to get black and white checkered chucks.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Have you ever considered picking it up, picking it up, picking it up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Cardiovorax posted:

Because if there's one thing that is well-known to do a software project good, it's taking it away from the development team in mid development and handing it to a different to make sense of what the previous guys already did with it, lol

Firing your creative and narrative leads six months before you can the whole dev team is certainly a bold strategy from Paradox.