Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I believe there was an eyebot at Repconn that was almost but not quite the same as the ED-E/Enclave model.

The Hopeville computer AI whatever
must have seen it was an improvement and overrode their existing schematics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I'm trying to figure out if this Arizona Mod is working right. It's kinda sparse on details.

It has a map, presumably showing the effected area

But I have lovely eyesight and also am no NV expert. Where is that indicated area? Can anybody give me a frame of reference on where I would have to go to get to that spot? I have the Alt Start mod for quick start purpose and can start near Nelson and that Mine.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

NikkolasKing posted:

So I'm trying to figure out if this Arizona Mod is working right. It's kinda sparse on details.

It has a map, presumably showing the effected area

But I have lovely eyesight and also am no NV expert. Where is that indicated area? Can anybody give me a frame of reference on where I would have to go to get to that spot? I have the Alt Start mod for quick start purpose and can start near Nelson and that Mine.

That is the Arizona side of the Colorado River, across from the Cottonwood Cove inlet. There are a few spots over there in the game already. Notably there are several lakelurk nests along the riverbank and the Deathclaw Promontory where you can find a suit of Enclave Power Armour.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Hoover Dam is at that upper left corner and the Colorado follows the line down.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Cheesing my total weight has meant I have well over 11,000 caps after completing Dead Money :negative:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nobody Interesting posted:

Cheesing my total weight has meant I have well over 11,000 caps after completing Dead Money :negative:

You're a third of the way to the Bozar!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I started Honest Hearts immediately, and just picking up one of each gun means my inventory is worth well over 20,000 caps. Barter skill is for chumps.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Chamale posted:

I started Honest Hearts immediately, and just picking up one of each gun means my inventory is worth well over 20,000 caps. Barter skill is for chumps.

barter skill is for Pack Rats.

I also like the FO3 economy mod, makes it a lot harder to become a billionaire by selling guns.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Cheese aside, this playthrough of Dead Money was pretty enjoyable. I didn't think hardcore/JSawyer made it much more difficult then usual, but then I'm playing with superhuman carryweight. Might have had to plod through much slower with normal values.

This is the 3rd time I've played through DM and only the first time I've managed to keep everyone alive. Always end up with the same outcome for Dog/God, and thus still didn't finish the challenge for hearing everyone's story, so he remains a mystery to me for the most part. Did get the "Things To Come" challenge or whatever it's called though and the extra foreshadowing is appreciated.

STILL not managed to find all the Sierra Madre history files. Playing with Logan's Loophole I don't have enough Science or Lockpick to open Very Hard things, so maybe that's how I'm missing some of those.

I'm not going for a completionist run here by any stretch, but I've never been able to piece together everything in DM. The Villa isn't the most fun thing to navigate so that's probably why.

Gave myself more time with Honest Hearts too on this run, first time I've pieced together that additional character's story. My partner watches me play and I'll read stuff out to her here and there, she teared up at that whole thing.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Gaius Marius posted:

You're the one making the lonesome road expansion right? I meant to reply a couple weeks ago with some idea but forgot, Personally I wouldn't use all my ideas as they'd probably just drive people away from the mod. That said if you start it with a warning that they can't go back and that the Lonesome road is gonna be hard as hell then It's they're own drat fault.

I'd start by having an HP penalty anytime you're outside, If you can set up and plan you're attack then NV is usually not that difficult, giving them a time limit based on health is gonna drive up the tension incredibly and lead to people making mistakes that hopefully they can salvage. This is to represent the wind that stripped the flesh of the Marked men,

Make the whole are radioactive, Bomb's went off a couple years ago so why isn't it still glowing? This accomplishes the same thing, but if you put in a few strategically placed AutoDoc's and RadAways the feeling of Relif should be palpable in your players

The Tunnler sections should be long a twisting, and dark as hell. Imagine You're stuck underground unable to see where you're going constantly hunted by those bastards, you're only means of escape and vision the few scant flares you've picked up.

The way I see it Games are funnest when you're forced to fire on all cylinders, Dying isn't necessarily fun, but being a hairs breadth away from dying and pulling out a win, That's the money right there. Thus I think if you put the players under enough stress that they're making mistakes that are bad, but are just able to recover from you'll have hit your mark and made something really special. It's gonna take a hell of a lot of playtesting though.

oof, ah, so to be clear I'm not making this as an actual mod, just Game Design Fanfiction (i.e. an effortpost). I'm also only planning to do a bit of the above, plus I'm getting rid of the tunnelers entirely because I hate them. I am likely to use both direct damage and radiation more heavily than in the base game, but not within a hundred miles of Dust.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 23, 2021

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
The real treasure of the Sierra Madra is the 100,000 weightless units of old world money

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

oof, ah, so to be clear I'm not making this as an actual mod, just Game Design Fanfiction (i.e. an effortpost). I'm also only planning to do a bit of the above, plus I'm getting rid of the tunnelers entirely because I hate them. I am likely to use both direct damage and radiation more heavily than in the base game, but not within a hundred miles of Dust.
Oh, that could still be interesting. What do you dislike about the tunnelers, personally I can go either way about them. The idea of an existential threat to humanity that everyone's ignoring because they're preoccupied with the dam is interesting thematically, but I also see how people could see them as Avellone using author fiat to try and reset the world state.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

The real treasure of the Sierra Madra is the 100,000 weightless units of old world money
It's the five tons of gold I stuck into Elijah's eye.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
From a gameplay perspective, tunnelers offer little of interest other than binary outcomes. They're melee only enemies that move very fast and "teleport" via tunnels, and one of the types (which is different only in size) has a percentage chance to stunlock the player to death. When they appear, there are no other enemies. At the same time, they're trivialized through the fire panic mechanism that effectively locks them into an easily maintained panic behavior. They're not a match thematically or mechanically to any of the game's locations.

Writingwise, they're just Avellone saying his threat is the serious real one, singlehandedly cheapening the narrative of the rest of the game.

I'm currently planning to have the underground areas be much closer to pitch black, and have a combination of traps, Sentrybots(maybe), marked men, and a greater proportion of higher-stat feral ghouls of various stripes.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Mar 26, 2023

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Cheese aside, this playthrough of Dead Money was pretty enjoyable. I didn't think hardcore/JSawyer made it much more difficult then usual, but then I'm playing with superhuman carryweight. Might have had to plod through much slower with normal values.

This is the 3rd time I've played through DM and only the first time I've managed to keep everyone alive. Always end up with the same outcome for Dog/God, and thus still didn't finish the challenge for hearing everyone's story, so he remains a mystery to me for the most part. Did get the "Things To Come" challenge or whatever it's called though and the extra foreshadowing is appreciated.

STILL not managed to find all the Sierra Madre history files. Playing with Logan's Loophole I don't have enough Science or Lockpick to open Very Hard things, so maybe that's how I'm missing some of those.

I'm not going for a completionist run here by any stretch, but I've never been able to piece together everything in DM. The Villa isn't the most fun thing to navigate so that's probably why.

Gave myself more time with Honest Hearts too on this run, first time I've pieced together that additional character's story. My partner watches me play and I'll read stuff out to her here and there, she teared up at that whole thing.

I think one of the History Files is tied to a Hard Terminal hack so that might be why.
Also funnily enough I just finished DM on my run and I accidentally killed everyone. Like I'm not even sure what I did but Christine said something like "I'm sorry, I can't let you stop this" and went hostile. I thought that only happens if you shoved her into the auto-doc or elevator.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Prewar tech for the rich and powerful is the kind of crazy magic tech you get at the Sierra Madre, Big Mountain or Enclave manufacturing facilities.

I love Dead Money but the technology they put in there felt like a pretty bad fit for Fallout and its scarcity narrative.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Western Sky is now a preset in the Nevada Skies mod.

It's not the same at all.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I love Dead Money but the technology they put in there felt like a pretty bad fit for Fallout and its scarcity narrative.

Oh, it's not a good fit at all, but it does click with the same themes as the oil crisis in the prewar era vs fusion being perfected in the last days - humanity was on the verge of completely eliminating the problems that were driving wars and suffering, almost ready to roll it out, and then the Great War puts everything on freeze and renders it meaningless.
That theme may get a little overdone in places but it's a solid throughline.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I think one of the History Files is tied to a Hard Terminal hack so that might be why.
Also funnily enough I just finished DM on my run and I accidentally killed everyone. Like I'm not even sure what I did but Christine said something like "I'm sorry, I can't let you stop this" and went hostile. I thought that only happens if you shoved her into the auto-doc or elevator.

I managed to keep Dean Domino alive by sheer chance back when I played it the first time and was quite surprised when everyone was complaining they had to kill him

Honestly when I get to that point in the storyline again I will kill Dean regardless because he's just kind of a massive loving rear end in a top hat and I've killed people for much less

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dean Domino is basically just the player character as an NPC. Just a massive petty rear end in a top hat obsessed with getting money for no reason.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

I was able to finally get that achievement but only by judiciously looking for every single terminal. And I STILL missed some story terminals (Not required to complete the achievement, but filled in some important story bits, like how Dean Domino and Mr. Friendly killed the supervisor of the Filtering Station by pushing him over the guard rails in that big central room, then told his successor to stay out of their business

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Gaius Marius posted:

Dean Domino is basically just the player character as an NPC. Just a massive petty rear end in a top hat obsessed with getting money for no reason.

I'm not obsessed with money, I'm obsessed with collectibles. You're safe as long as your weapon and/or clothing isn't unique.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Halser posted:

I'm not obsessed with money, I'm obsessed with collectibles. You're safe as long as your weapon and/or clothing isn't unique.

Leave The King alone :colbert:

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Leave The King alone :colbert:

he is indeed the sole exception.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Gaius Marius posted:

It's the five tons of gold I stuck into Elijah's eye.
honestly I couldn't figure out how to make it out fast enough while carrying a body part

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Typically I'd lock him in the vault but on this run I had to kill him. Is there anything cool on his body? Cos it disappeared into the abyss. I obviously got his robes in the footlocker.

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Typically I'd lock him in the vault but on this run I had to kill him. Is there anything cool on his body? Cos it disappeared into the abyss. I obviously got his robes in the footlocker.

A Gauss Rifle

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

SkyeAuroline posted:

Oh, it's not a good fit at all, but it does click with the same themes as the oil crisis in the prewar era vs fusion being perfected in the last days - humanity was on the verge of completely eliminating the problems that were driving wars and suffering, almost ready to roll it out, and then the Great War puts everything on freeze and renders it meaningless.
That theme may get a little overdone in places but it's a solid throughline.

If we had star trek magic personal and industrial replicators today fully stocked all over the world the wars would just be for taking other peoples replicators or something.

WAR.
NEVER.
CHANGES.

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

MariusLecter posted:

If we had star trek magic personal and industrial replicators today fully stocked all over the world the wars would just be for taking other peoples replicators or something.

WAR.
NEVER.
CHANGES.

You can't produce your way out of fighting over who is in charge.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Arcsquad12 posted:

From the New Vegas Memes subreddit:

"OWW! Whyyyy the hell did you do that!?"
"Caesar let me kill Kimball with a bomb!"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It is extremely disappointing the Bright Brotherhood isn't trying to go into space. They are in space suits in a rocket and Jason talks about going on Great Journey to the Far Beyond but in reality they just wanna fly...a few miles away?

I def thought they wanted to go into space when I played the game and many people I've talked to got that impression, too.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

NikkolasKing posted:

It is extremely disappointing the Bright Brotherhood isn't trying to go into space. They are in space suits in a rocket and Jason talks about going on Great Journey to the Far Beyond but in reality they just wanna fly...a few miles away?

I def thought they wanted to go into space when I played the game and many people I've talked to got that impression, too.

I figured they were trying for The Glow, or some other highly irradiated spot. Since they help defend Novac in the end slides, they can't have made it far.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I vividly remember an ending slide about them landing in the sea of tranquility, I even renner a picture of bright posing with the flag. Apparently that got mandela effected cause none of it is real

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

They do want to go to space; Jason Bright just has no idea what he's doing. If your science is high enough you can tell him that his rockets are surface-to-surface vehicles and he'll just dismiss the fact. (If you do everything right, they'll return to Novac in the ending slides.)

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

I am plodding through pretty slow on this run, I wanted to go as far as I could with the Legion, NCR, and House before installing Yes Man. Doing this has made I Put A Spell On You real fucky.

I know who the spy at McCarren is, because for all intents and purposes, I am working for the Legion. I told him I knew who he is and I refused to help him with his plan. In the same dialogue, I also told him that Hsu would like me to investigate the reports of spying. Alongside all of this, I am unable to just go to Hsu and tell him I know who the spy is without going through the whole investigation. What could have been a pretty cool chaotic evil double agent bamboozling is instead just broken as poo poo.

Ugh.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well I mean with that set of parameters I think you might have hosed yourself out of stopping the bomb from going off.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Gaius Marius posted:

I vividly remember an ending slide about them landing in the sea of tranquility, I even renner a picture of bright posing with the flag. Apparently that got mandela effected cause none of it is real

Marshal Radisic posted:

They do want to go to space; Jason Bright just has no idea what he's doing. If your science is high enough you can tell him that his rockets are surface-to-surface vehicles and he'll just dismiss the fact. (If you do everything right, they'll return to Novac in the ending slides.)

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well I mean with that set of parameters I think you might have hosed yourself out of stopping the bomb from going off.

I was able to diffuse the bomb, I'm just annoyed I couldn't be like "Hey Hsu, I did some double agenting and so I know the dude is the guy!"

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I want to know why the NCR doesn't want an army of super robots. I got this super robot army controlled by a "Yes Man" robot that will do anything anyone tells him. They should build a fortress around that casino and go to town now that I killed House for them. Just point it at Caesar and no more rangers have to die. They just get mad at me for upgrading the robots. I can't bring it up to the general or president or anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

I killed Caesar with a Holy Hand Grenade but a slave got killed in the blast and now Melody is cowering in the corner and hostile :negative: