Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

HookShot posted:

I was honestly surprised when there was a poll done in one of the J! groups at the part people were most concerned about when going on the show and the overwhelming answer was the interview. I don't think I gave mine a shred of thought since I always fast forward through them and assume everyone else does, too.

And yeah that one with the guy wearing his horse hoof hands was funny, and it got posted on the Facebook page.

Even if 90% of the audience skips the interviews, to an aspiring contestant with moderate social anxiety it still means millions of people are going to watch you try to make small talk with a celebrity for 20 seconds. And as we've seen in the last page or so, it only takes a handful of people with DVRs to light your rear end up on Twitter if you crash & burn. I'm not surprised in the least that the fear of a foot-in-mouth interview being immortalized on social media looms larger than garden variety mistakes like missing an easy clue or making a dumb wager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

One of the contestants had a story today that did not even feature her. It was about a friend of hers arm wrestling Alex on Jeopardy years ago. It was an awkward story.

I started thinking too far back on Final Jeopardy.

Henry Clay had been the first frequent candidate name in my head, but silver industry made no sense with him. As soon as I saw Bryan(t) on the screen, dammit cross of gold.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

RC and Moon Pie posted:

One of the contestants had a story today that did not even feature her. It was about a friend of hers arm wrestling Alex on Jeopardy years ago. It was an awkward story.

I started thinking too far back on Final Jeopardy.

Henry Clay had been the first frequent candidate name in my head, but silver industry made no sense with him. As soon as I saw Bryan(t) on the screen, dammit cross of gold.

I liked the guy today who's story was just "I like podcasts". It kind of worked in that I think everyone thought "oh yeah, I like podcasts too", and then Ken just moved on to the next person. Way less chance of an awkward story/moment that way if it's mundane and nothing anyone will really remember.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I'm a few days late on the subway bit, but one other thing is there are definitely teenagers in Jamaica who will deliberately give you wrong directions to gently caress with you

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Now that his six weeks are done, what's the verdict on Ken?

Personally, while I have some quibbles with his voice (though so did Alex and his start) he would be fine as a replacement. He just needs to find his own rhythm and not be a copy of Alex.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
For somebody coming in with no real experience in that type of role, I thought he did extremely well! I actually like his voice a lot - it's very calming and I think it works well for a show like Jeopardy. He adjusted well as his tenure went on, and I think he will continue to grow if given the chance.

He also seemed to have an immediate and real rapport with the contestants - his interview segments were pretty good (aside from one awkward response from this past week which I don't remember, but it felt like he didn't know how to respond to the contestant's story). That feels good for the future of the show. I can't speak for the numerous posters here who have been actual contestants, but if I had been trying for years to get on the show, I'd rather have a Jeopardy superstar like Ken awaiting me than somebody who doesn't have any significant prior affiliation with the show.

Also, it was six weeks of shows for us, but that may have only been like 6-12 taping days (can't remember how many per week of shows). So for him to make adjustments in that short of time is pretty solid too.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Island Nation posted:

Now that his six weeks are done, what's the verdict on Ken?

Personally, while I have some quibbles with his voice (though so did Alex and his start) he would be fine as a replacement. He just needs to find his own rhythm and not be a copy of Alex.

The only thing that slightly annoys me about Ken is the way he says "....No?" sometimes when there's a wrong question. But that's a minor quibble; I think he's done a great job. He's a better interviewer than Alex generally was towards the end because he engages more with contestants instead of just saying "Good for you!" (I'm sure Alex was exhausted so I don't blame him).

More than anyone else, I'd like to see what LeVar Burton can do as guest host. Either of those two would make fantastic hosts.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ken doesn't quite have the voice for it but he's fine and good Lord I'd take him no question over all the stunt hosts they're subjecting us to.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I finally got used to him (and he clearly got more comfortable and found his rhythm) and now they're going to send us into weeks and weeks of chaos :mad:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Groovelord Neato posted:

Ken doesn't quite have the voice for it but he's fine and good Lord I'd take him no question over all the stunt hosts they're subjecting us to.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I finally got used to him (and he clearly got more comfortable and found his rhythm) and now they're going to send us into weeks and weeks of chaos :mad:

:emptyquote:

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

More than anyone else, I'd like to see what LeVar Burton can do as guest host. Either of those two would make fantastic hosts.

I'm not convinced he's on Sony or ViacomCBS shortlist despite his ties to Star Trek and NCIS: New Orleans but it seems with the exception of Ken that the list consists of current figures in the public eye with ties to Sony (Dr. Oz) or CBS (almost everyone else) & the occasional guest spot doesn't cut it. If they wanted him, he should've been a early choice.

Giga Pet giveaway
Jun 28, 2008

You're Not Welcome?
The guy on Friday's episode who would flap his arm like oh, I don't care, how about- before choosing a clue each time annoyed me.

Also really not looking forward to guest host hell.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Groovelord Neato posted:

BaronVonVaderham posted:

:same:

Hope the executive producer hosting isn’t too bad. Apparently he’s hosted a couple of game shows on GSN before?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
So from a post in the J! group it sounds like Mike being a guest host isn't just the producer going "me! me! me!" but actually because of Covid restrictions and it was kind of a last-minute thing where either Mike had to step in or they had to cancel the taping of that week altogether.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

They couldnt just extend Ken another week?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Yeah, I was wondering if bringing in all these guest hosts from everywhere might be an infection risk.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

This producer guy is pretty good I gotta say.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

HookShot posted:

So from a post in the J! group it sounds like Mike being a guest host isn't just the producer going "me! me! me!" but actually because of Covid restrictions and it was kind of a last-minute thing where either Mike had to step in or they had to cancel the taping of that week altogether.

I must’ve missed that, but he did explain it when he was walking out after being introduced by Johnny Gilbert. Covid restrictions in LA and all that, plus the now requisite shoutout to Alex and saying the show must go on. He’s not doing too bad of a job from what I can tell, but his cadence will definitely need some getting used to.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The only thing that slightly annoys me about Ken is the way he says "....No?" sometimes when there's a wrong question. But that's a minor quibble; I think he's done a great job. He's a better interviewer than Alex generally was towards the end because he engages more with contestants instead of just saying "Good for you!" (I'm sure Alex was exhausted so I don't blame him).

Yeah, I noticed it more later into his run when he was getting into his groove. That particular intonation was pretty much my only complaint.

And yeah, I would also like to see LeVar Burton take a turn as guest host (and my local public radio station having him as guest host for a podcast for a Black History Month reading segment reminded me and makes me think it wouldn’t be too hard to book him for it).

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

banned from Starbucks posted:

Ken was probably in Seattle, which means they'd have the same problem flying people in during a lockdown.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

HookShot posted:

Ken was probably in Seattle, which means they'd have the same problem flying people in during a lockdown.

Mike explicitly said it was a scheduling conflict with The Chase that kept Ken off.

I actually prefer him so far to Ken. Voice is much better, presence is polished as you'd expect from a veteran & mostly gets out of the way.

He'd never take the permanent gig due to EPing both Jeopardy! & Wheel of Fortune but the shows seem to be in good hands with him in charge.

a god damn idiot
Sep 7, 2006

Much prefer the producer. No reason to be subjected to kens voice for the next however many years.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Post and username combo.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Richards did well. Like others, he was more authoritative, which isn't really Ken's fault. Good interactions with the contestants and with the exception of the one Daily Double miss - was a well-played game. The other Daily Double in Double Jeopardy was way, way too easy, though.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

banned from Starbucks posted:

HookShot posted:

Apparently he was doing some promo stuff for the Chase? Now that I’ve caught up in the FB group, apparently they were supposed to be taping a ToC in the interim and Ken recorded some promos mentioning it that got edited out when that wound up not happening.

Also, yeah Covid. LA was in a pretty strict lockdown during that time IIRC between Thanksgiving and Christmas/New Year’s, since California in general was getting hit pretty badly by the Rona, and that city in particular.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I knew Final was "Taps" because, when I was three or so, I had a toy trumpet that could only play those four notes and I played them at my great-grandmother's grave. This was one of the few things I remember my grandpa, a WW2 Army Air Corps vet, describe as "beautiful". :patriot:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Richards is fine, I'm still Team Ken. Kinda silly to argue about this one since there's no way Richards is the permanent host.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Island Nation posted:

Mike explicitly said it was a scheduling conflict with The Chase that kept Ken off.

Yeah, I'm on the west coast so I hadn't seen the episode yet as it airs at 7:30 PST here lol.

I thought Mike was fine, but yeah, I'm also still on team Ken. If they're going to pick a white male to take the hosting job it had better be Ken, tbh. I think Mike Richards does a great job in his current role, and I don't think he's even in the running here.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

zakharov posted:

Kinda silly to argue about this one since there's no way Richards is the permanent host.

..hahaha yeah...

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Do you know something we don't? It'd be very weird for Richards to EP two shows and host one of them. Also his monologue emphasized the fact that he was an emergency fill-in.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Not really, I just got a really insincere vibe from his "explanation". There's thousands of actors/celebrities in LA that would be thrilled to test/quarantine/whatever for the hosting opportunity and he just had to step in and do it, there's nooooobody else. It really feels like he's trying to downplay that he wants it.

That said, I think he did a fine job and would be perfectly serviceable as the permanent host. But something really feels off and I hope i'm wrong

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Spokes posted:

Not really, I just got a really insincere vibe from his "explanation". There's thousands of actors/celebrities in LA that would be thrilled to test/quarantine/whatever for the hosting opportunity and he just had to step in and do it, there's nooooobody else. It really feels like he's trying to downplay that he wants it.

That said, I think he did a fine job and would be perfectly serviceable as the permanent host. But something really feels off and I hope i'm wrong

Judging by the quality of guest hosts they already picked I'm kinda glad they didnt just scoop up random L.A. c-listers

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I thought he was fine, seems like a perfectly charismatic guy, I'd rather him do it than some random 'uh who in the rolodex can make it last minute' grab and there's no way he's gonna be the permanent host, there's just truly no reason to get hornt up over him either way.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Please welcome Jeopardy guest hosts
Steve-O
Chloe Kardashian
And the kid who played McLovin

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I'll take McLovin over "Dr." Oz :colbert:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea Steve-O would at least be funny because he'd probably be just as confused by half the questions as a lot of us. Remember the doctor who sells magic coffee pills is the low bar here, people!

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
absolutely tragic that nobody knew glamdring

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Outside of Ken, how many of these people have a realistic shot of hosting Jeopardy? Yes, it's only a 2 day per 2 weeks job but given a good amount of them have a Monday to Friday job makes it tricky to schedule

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I'll take McLovin over "Dr." Oz :colbert:

Hell same. I should have picked even worse celebs than Dr Bullshit Artist

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Island Nation posted:

Outside of Ken, how many of these people have a realistic shot of hosting Jeopardy? Yes, it's only a 2 day per 2 weeks job but given a good amount of them have a Monday to Friday job makes it tricky to schedule

Maybe only Katie Couric, if it's true that Richards is simply filling in out of necessity. But even her appearance fits the "gimmick" bid as she is only getting two weeks and the show is contributing to a charity of her choice (not to say that charity is a gimmick, but that begins with her appearance). It is almost certainly Ken's if he wants it.

also lmao it looks like all the gimmick hosts are getting two full weeks, so that's sure a thing. https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/news-events/jeopardy-guest-host-schedule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
That would take the show to near the end of June. They'd still need two more guests hosts to finish the season before they announce the permanent replacement. Maybe the two Alex recommended but I assume if LeVar Burton isn't one, Sony will be flooded with tens of emails.

Couric does seem on paper to be the most available though I wonder if Rodgers would retire from the Packers if he got the nod. It's unlikely they beat Ken though.