Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

IUG posted:

Did this only infect M1 Macs?
Nope, it’s for both Intel and M1 Macs:

quote:

Outside of a change in download URLs and script comments, the two versions had only one major difference. The first version contained a Mach-O binary compiled for Intel x86_64 architecture only. In the second version, the adversary included a Mach-O binary compiled for both Intel x86_64 and M1 ARM64 architectures.

Thanks Ants posted:

Maybe - there's mention of M1 support being worked on at https://airsdk.harman.com/

Try downloading the runtime from that site and see how you get on.
Wild, guess Flash will kinda live on after all, at least this vestigial offshoot of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

On devices connected to a CAN bus, because of course

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Clark Nova posted:

the daisy disk demo (hosted on their website, not in the app store) will probably be enough

Splinter posted:

Disk Inventory X is another free disk usage visualizer you could try. Even if it doesn't know 'what' a given folder or file is, you should still be able to view the folder/path by clicking on the blocks in the visualizer.

In the Daisy Disk demo it lists 141.8gb of "hidden space" and I can't rescan as administrator without a license. I've also tried running it as sudo but no luck there.

Omnidisksweeper doesn't show it at all and based on its display, you would think I have like 200gb free.

Same deal with Disk Inventory X.

So I guess I'll bite the $14 bullet or consider reformatting.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

tuyop posted:

In the Daisy Disk demo it lists 141.8gb of "hidden space" and I can't rescan as administrator without a license. I've also tried running it as sudo but no luck there.

Omnidisksweeper doesn't show it at all and based on its display, you would think I have like 200gb free.

Try OmniDiskSweeper https://www.omnigroup.com/more, it's free and works well for me.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

sorry about that, I thought the only daisy disk demo limitation is that it would have a 30-second countdown on startup after a few weeks or a month :(

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

On devices connected to a CAN bus, because of course
Are you talking about Adobe AIR, in which case :ughh:, or is this a wrong thread post?

tuyop posted:

Dumb question, but tried restarting? Maybe some weird temp thing that went out of control and doesn’t show up as normal disk space. Or if you have multiple users I’ve seen some weird things as far as apps not being able to see other users’ stuff even as admin.

japtor fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 22, 2021

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

japtor posted:

Are you talking about Adobe AIR, in which case :ughh:, or is this a wrong thread post?

Dumb question, but tried restarting? Maybe some weird temp thing that went out of control and doesn’t show up as normal disk space. Or if you have multiple users I’ve seen some weird things as far as apps not being able to see other users’ stuff even as admin.

Yeah I was thinking of going into recovery and running disk utility first aid but I have no faith in that doing anything.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

japtor posted:

Harman make lots of in-car systems, I assume they were heavily invested in Adobe AIR enough to buy the platform rather than just retool. I hope they aren’t running Flash on these systems but who knows.

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy

tuyop posted:

I have like half of my 2016 MBP's drive currently occupied by "Other" data. I updated to Big Sur and it's now completely hosed.

I've cleared time machine local snapshots and done a disk utility first aid run. Grand Perspective also just labels this all as "Misc".

It currently won't allow me to update xcode because there's not enough space and I need to do that. What should I do?

I came here to post about this same issue. DaisyDisk revealed a 270GB attachments folder for Messages, despite using Messages in iCloud and System Information reporting only 58GB being used by Messages. Even 58GB seems excessive if I have iCloud enabled and one of the stated perks is that it "helps you save space". This also explain why I very nearly blew past my internet data cap for the month. Very frustrating.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
How do I turn off the "hotkey" for the character viewer whenever I hit the function key? I brush it from time to time and it's annoying when the big-rear end emoji selector pops up.

M1 MBP

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard > Press 🌎 to [Do Nothing]

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 22, 2021

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Thanks Ants posted:

Maybe - there's mention of M1 support being worked on at https://airsdk.harman.com/

Try downloading the runtime from that site and see how you get on.

That worked. I swear I ended up on a Harman site before but there wasn't a handy download.

Thants!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Welp, I got too many apps and Homebrew commands bitching at me to do it, and not enough 32 bit apps to make it worth my while, so..

So long Mojave, I'm upgrading the last of my Macs with it to Big Sur.. you will live on in a horrific, zombiefied pocket universe of VMWare, hopefully.. or a thumb drive

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't currently have access to a Mac, but need to produce some quick documentation. Is there a service that simulates the base macOS environment well enough to be able to make convincing screenshots, or should I just see if I can get a nice new M1 Air shipped out to me and charge it back to a project?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol I grew up wondering what kind of animal Sarge was supposed to be

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Thanks Ants posted:

I don't currently have access to a Mac, but need to produce some quick documentation. Is there a service that simulates the base macOS environment well enough to be able to make convincing screenshots, or should I just see if I can get a nice new M1 Air shipped out to me and charge it back to a project?

I’d probably just remote into a Macstadium machine as it’ll be way cheaper.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

Welp, I got too many apps and Homebrew commands bitching at me to do it, and not enough 32 bit apps to make it worth my while, so..

So long Mojave, I'm upgrading the last of my Macs with it to Big Sur.. you will live on in a horrific, zombiefied pocket universe of VMWare, hopefully.. or a thumb drive

I long for the day that CEMU comes to the mac (lol it'll never happen) because I want to play modded Breath of The Wild (oh god 4k would be amazing) but I will never buy a PC for it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Evis posted:

I’d probably just remote into a Macstadium machine as it’ll be way cheaper.

Looks good, will give that a go. Thanks.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I long for the day that CEMU comes to the mac (lol it'll never happen) because I want to play modded Breath of The Wild (oh god 4k would be amazing) but I will never buy a PC for it.
Does CEMU actually perform better than Dolphin?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Dolphin can't play WiiU games.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Oh, this is interesting. I wonder why it's closed source.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The iPad version of dolphin is pretty legit.

https://youtu.be/JZI9OlmqFOE

https://youtu.be/gtLSjVhpzD8

I can’t wait for an M1 version.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Does CEMU actually perform better than Dolphin?

Yeah it's pretty loving amazing and people have been putting a TON of effort into BoTW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU31kNa3H0A

There are really good reskins where you can play as Zelda as well and it's very impressive.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
The only Romhack worth playing is Pokémon Team Rocket edition, and openemu runs well with Rosetta. No m1 yet

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Am I dreaming that there was a time when adding multiple tags to one file/folder would only show a single tag? I'm sure this has been resolved years ago (if it was even a thing), but nice to see I can now see multiple tags in finder at once. The fun of not having tags that overlap much I guess!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Am I dreaming that there was a time when adding multiple tags to one file/folder would only show a single tag? I'm sure this has been resolved years ago (if it was even a thing), but nice to see I can now see multiple tags in finder at once. The fun of not having tags that overlap much I guess!

Yeah, back when they were called Labels, only one could be applied at a time. That change was made before Sierra (10.12) and I don't remember when exactly.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

:dafuq: macOS 11.2.2 has been released :dafuq:

Yup another update but this one supposedly fixes a showstopper:

Apple posted:

macOS Big Sur 11.2.2 prevents MacBook Pro (2019 or later) and MacBook Air (2020 or later) models from incurring damage when they are connected to certain third-party, non-compliant powered USB-C hubs and docks.

I wonder what their definition of 'non-compliant' entails.. doesn't have a 'Made for Mac' label?

Noted that this update is available for all Big Sur compliant Macs, not just the models above, so something else is probably fixed that they don't want to tell us about.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

:dafuq: macOS 11.2.2 has been released :dafuq:

Yup another update but this one supposedly fixes a showstopper:

I wonder what their definition of 'non-compliant' entails.. doesn't have a 'Made for Mac' label?

Noted that this update is available for all Big Sur compliant Macs, not just the models above, so something else is probably fixed that they don't want to tell us about.
Haven't had a problem on my 2020 Intel MBA (which is still on Catalina if that matters), but I remember being linked to a thread about third party chargers bricking some people's M1 models over on the MacRumors forums.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Quackles posted:

Yeah, back when they were called Labels, only one could be applied at a time. That change was made before Sierra (10.12) and I don't remember when exactly.

Appreciate the clarification, drat I don’t even remember them being called labels for some reason.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Can I wipe out OSx and install Arch? I don't want to have to buy a new old computer but I really need something without a DE right now.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Which machine do you have? Regular Intel Mac, sure you can wipe macOS and shove any flavor of Linux that supports Mac hardware onto it.

M1, woo boy, that's going to be a pain..

Be advised, though, that if your Mac ever needs to go back to the Fruit Stand for repairs, if they see that macOS has been entirely removed from the machine, they will hand it back to you and refuse to work on it.

(Most people who put on alternative OSes keep a tiny 8 GB partition of macOS on their Mac for this very reason..)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
That and firmware updates, unless there’s another way of doing that nowadays.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

It's possible to do firmware updates with the proper file plucked out of the requisite macOS installer and a terminal command, but that command can only be found in macOS and there's no source available for it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/03/02/rosetta-macos-11-3-strings/

I kinda figured Apple would remove Rosetta at some point in the future, but to set up yanking the Rosetta strings so goddamn soon just seems super stupid to me.

Is this supposed to be like when the conquistadors burned their ships upon arriving in the New World?

This is kinda like merrily stretching long fuses from the cargo hold in full view of the sailors into the captain's cabin months before they're due to arrive

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 3, 2021

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Is Photoshop even native yet?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

There is no way they would do it that quickly.

Not enough stuff is native.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Binary Badger posted:

I kinda figured Apple would remove Rosetta at some point in the future, but to set up yanking the Rosetta strings so goddamn soon just seems super stupid to me.

Is this supposed to be like when the conquistadors burned their ships upon arriving in the New World?

This is kinda like merrily stretching long fuses from the cargo hold in full view of the sailors into the captain's cabin months before they're due to arrive

That seems....inconceivably soon to remove it. They didn't even announce Rosetta 2 until what, June of 2020? To not have it around for more than a year seems crazy.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Binary Badger posted:

Calm down, it sounds like it's a region specific legal issue. One of the extracted strings reads: "Rosetta is no longer available in your region. Applications requiring Rosetta will no longer run." Still not great (especially for those in the affected regions), but not an insane footgun incident.

(now why would Rosetta be a legal issue, you ask? One possibility is Intel itself - they've made noises about going after x86 emulators before. It's not clear to me how they could actually make that stick in court against Apple's legal and financial resources, but their goal may not be to win. If they gently caress with Apple and scare off or delay Microsoft from putting serious effort into trying to push the PC world towards ARM, it might be a net win for them.)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

BobHoward posted:

Calm down, it sounds like it's a region specific legal issue. One of the extracted strings reads: "Rosetta is no longer available in your region. Applications requiring Rosetta will no longer run." Still not great (especially for those in the affected regions), but not an insane footgun incident.

(now why would Rosetta be a legal issue, you ask? One possibility is Intel itself - they've made noises about going after x86 emulators before. It's not clear to me how they could actually make that stick in court against Apple's legal and financial resources, but their goal may not be to win. If they gently caress with Apple and scare off or delay Microsoft from putting serious effort into trying to push the PC world towards ARM, it might be a net win for them.)

Yeah this is much more plausible than Apple "burning their ships" or w/e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm going through the painful process of importing tons of old digital camcorder videos into iCloud Photo Library. Is there a good tool for editing/adding metadata to video? I want to at least geotag and add dates and times to everything, but unless I'm missing something, this seems a lot less straightforward than it is for photos.