Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
if the Old Person thread can't appreciate a steam engine joke, is it really the Old Person thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
give me a good ol’ external combustion engine anytime.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I’m morally opposed to any transport technology more advanced than a bunch of raccoons tied to a branch

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

You and your sex things again :barf:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

President Beep posted:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

K O O D G E !

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I feel like absolute poo poo because I ate way too much Lotus House Chinese food.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I wish deep-fried chicken had been invented when I was a kid. I would've loved it.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
“handles like a best western” lol

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

President Beep posted:

Me too, but I'm still working through a lot of internalized combustion in therapy

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oc53wOHYf4

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

every couple of months i consider becoming vegetarian but then nope out due mostly to laziness, and little bit of loving chicken liver paté

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I wish deep-fried chicken had been invented when I was a kid. I would've loved it.

The Roman cookbook of Apicius (4th century) has a recipe for deep-fried chicken called Pullum Frontonianum.[1]

The American English expression "fried chicken" is first recorded in the 1830s, and frequently appears in American cookbooks of the 1860s and 1870s.[2] The origin of fried chicken in the southern states of America has been traced to precedents in Scottish[3][4][5] and West African cuisine.[6][7][8][9] Scottish fried chicken was cooked in fat (though unseasoned)[3][5] while West African fried chicken was seasoned[3][4][9] (but battered[7][10] and cooked in palm oil).[6] Scottish frying techniques and African seasoning techniques were used in the American South by African slaves.[3][4][5][9] Fried chicken provided some means of an independent economy for enslaved and segregated African-American women, who became noted sellers of poultry (live or cooked) as early as the 1730s.[11] Because of this and the expensive nature of the ingredients, it was, despite popular belief, a rare dish in the African-American community[6] reserved (as in Africa) for special occasions.[10][8][9]

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i occasionally enjoy eating fried chicken

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

fart simpson posted:

i occasionally enjoy eating fried chicken

is there a kfc near you? does it taste like american kfc?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
when kfc is good its goooood but its a massive gamble and probably plays into one time I had it as a kid and it was good

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

The Roman cookbook of Apicius (4th century) has a recipe for deep-fried chicken called Pullum Frontonianum.[1]

The American English expression "fried chicken" is first recorded in the 1830s, and frequently appears in American cookbooks of the 1860s and 1870s.[2] The origin of fried chicken in the southern states of America has been traced to precedents in Scottish[3][4][5] and West African cuisine.[6][7][8][9] Scottish fried chicken was cooked in fat (though unseasoned)[3][5] while West African fried chicken was seasoned[3][4][9] (but battered[7][10] and cooked in palm oil).[6] Scottish frying techniques and African seasoning techniques were used in the American South by African slaves.[3][4][5][9] Fried chicken provided some means of an independent economy for enslaved and segregated African-American women, who became noted sellers of poultry (live or cooked) as early as the 1730s.[11] Because of this and the expensive nature of the ingredients, it was, despite popular belief, a rare dish in the African-American community[6] reserved (as in Africa) for special occasions.[10][8][9]
But what about what Rotor was a kid?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

echinopsis posted:

when kfc is good its goooood but its a massive gamble and probably plays into one time I had it as a kid and it was good

it smells too drat good. a combined taco bell/kfc is a problem, because the wonderful smell can trick you into ordering the wrong food :rant:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

President Beep posted:

my wife has lived in hk and been around the pacific rim a bit and she maintains all kfcs she encountered are orders of magnitude better than any american/canadian ones

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

prefect posted:

it smells too drat good. a combined taco bell/kfc is a problem, because the wonderful smell can trick you into ordering the wrong food :rant:

ive been to taco bell once in my life. i dont really get it, like, its ok I guess?

also same with whitecastle.. not really worth making a movie about. in fact.. well. massive disappointment in fact.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

echinopsis posted:

ive been to taco bell once in my life. i dont really get it, like, its ok I guess?

also same with whitecastle.. not really worth making a movie about. in fact.. well. massive disappointment in fact.

You're supposed to go to White Castle shitfaced and eat thirty burgers

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

President Beep posted:

there are many kfcs around me. it’s probably the most common american fast food chain in china and it tastes a bit better than what i remember of american kfc but tbh i haven’t eaten at an american kfc in a very long time. its not really high on the list of places i want to visit whenever i go back home

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

hi mom, im back from the other side of the world for a week. lets go to kfc.

Apr 7, 2003

fart simpson posted:

hi mom, im back from the other side of the world for a week. lets go to kfc.

sounds properly american

I worked with a boomer who would go on vacation overseas with her husband and she would go see the sights of Paris or whatever while he would stay in the hotel, watch TV, and eat whatever she brought back for him. lol

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

You're supposed to go to White Castle shitfaced and eat thirty burgers

yeah, they're ideal cheap booze food though they've made fancier versions

if the place you're drinking has greasy fries that's the equivalent expectation i'd go with

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

echinopsis posted:

i'm a bigger taco bell fan than other people. not really sure why, but i do love their base ingredients mixed up in different configurations :shrug:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
kfc is good if its fresh out of the pressure fryer, but once it gets cold its so sad

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

sounds properly american

I worked with a boomer who would go on vacation overseas with her husband and she would go see the sights of Paris or whatever while he would stay in the hotel, watch TV, and eat whatever she brought back for him. lol

lol

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
the popularity of american fast food has nothing to do with the taste and everything to do with how many calories you can slam down your gullet for as little money as possible, as mentioned while completely wrecked on booze or other drugs. that people do it while sober is a testament to how evolution has failed us

Apr 7, 2003

Fart Sandwiches posted:

the popularity of american fast food has nothing to do with the taste and everything to do with how many calories you can slam down your gullet for as little money as possible, as mentioned while completely wrecked on booze or other drugs. that people do it while sober is a testament to how evolution has failed us

There is absolutely nothing wrong with fast food and the people wandering around hooting and hollering about how it's debased and how it "makes them sick" are virtue signaling classist shitheads.

McDonalds has one of the cleanest and most efficient supply chains to ever exist in human history.

Taco bell is ground beef with significant vegetable filler (which isn't a bad thing imho), tortillas, cheese, tomatoes, and lettuce in various configurations. It's basic, normal food. If you can get uppity over something that simple you can get uppity over anything.

The fact that people will piss and moan about how 'unhealthy' McDonalds is before going to some local place and slamming down some 1800 calorie burger of the week and three beers will never stop being funny to me.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Shaggar posted:

but once it gets cold its so sad

mlyp

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

There is absolutely nothing wrong with fast food and the people wandering around hooting and hollering about how it's debased and how it "makes them sick" are virtue signaling classist shitheads.

McDonalds has one of the cleanest and most efficient supply chains to ever exist in human history.

Taco bell is ground beef with significant vegetable filler (which isn't a bad thing imho), tortillas, cheese, tomatoes, and lettuce in various configurations. It's basic, normal food. If you can get uppity over something that simple you can get uppity over anything.

The fact that people will piss and moan about how 'unhealthy' McDonalds is before going to some local place and slamming down some 1800 calorie burger of the week and three beers will never stop being funny to me.

it tastes like poo poo but that doesnt stop me from drowning my sorrows in 20 chicken nuggs and 14 hamburgers

Apr 7, 2003

Fart Sandwiches posted:

it tastes like poo poo but that doesnt stop me from drowning my sorrows in 20 chicken nuggs and 14 hamburgers

It tastes fine.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

sounds properly american

spending multiple thousands of dollars to see what it feels like to jerk off all day on another continent

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I slept wrong so now my back will probably be sore for 2 days

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

qirex posted:

I slept wrong so now my back will probably be sore for 2 days

im pretty much always at a baseline 3 on the pain chart

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yeah. Also people complaining about "processed" food but not being able to define the term coherently or explain why cheap food that has a certain step performed in its production is "processed" but fancy food that has an identical step performed in its production is magically not "processed."

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
how come some days, youre just like, everything is uncomfortable, you can feel your socks, your pants arent sitting right. its too hot but you cant do anything about it

when the same exact scenario but another day and its just normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

mystes posted:

Yeah. Also people complaining about "processed" food but not being able to define the term coherently or explain why cheap food that has a certain step performed in its production is "processed" but fancy food that has an identical step performed in its production is magically not "processed."

i used to say this but junk food is a better term anyway. high in calories, low in nutrients. doesn't matter if it's mcdonalds or from some bougie burger place, it's still bad for you in excess.