Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Did you try the mission mode? They have some good strategy/counter-strategy tips in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Don't do the tutorial, just jump right into the training mode and start trying to pull off moves. I am very bad at fighting games, but was able to learn every characters move set in this, it's not much to learn at all.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The only thing you really want from the tutorial is where it tells you to Roman cancel but also you need to gently caress around with Roman cancels during a combo or a battle so just get stuck in.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

dhamster posted:

Did you try the mission mode? They have some good strategy/counter-strategy tips in there.

I tried the missions, but after about half a dozen, it starts talking about hit confirms and tick throws without explaining what any of these are.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

This is the video by the goon angel opportunity that I saw a long time ago that helped xrd click for me. It's a little out of date and I don't 100% agree with everything he says but the point is that Oki, or the wakeup game, is super strong in this game, and you don't have to do hard combos to play the game at a basic level. Learning a gatling into sweep followed by any oki sequence at will help you win a lot more than if you mash mindlessly.

https://youtu.be/upzAAz_aPeM

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Wheres that fg term glossary link

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I tried the missions, but after about half a dozen, it starts talking about hit confirms and tick throws without explaining what any of these are.

I think it hides some of this text if you go straight from mission to mission, but this page I think does a pretty god job explaining what a tick throw is.

Unless you've got further questions this doesn't cover?

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Hit confirms: doing a move and choosing a different ender (or not continuing into an ender) if it hit or didn't hit

Tick throw: doing a light move followed by a throw, usually after a short delay

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

But stuff like that, I just don't understand how I'm meant to do that at the pace of an actual match. If I'm not just mashing buttons, it feels like it takes far too long for me to think about how to do anything.

I know, I'm just whining about being bad at the game. I'm just disappointed after so many people swore "No, GG's tutorials are way better than other fighting game tutorials".

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I mean, part of that is most other games either have really bad or no tutorials. GG's tutorials are good, and the way to get better at being able to know what to do in the heat of the moment in a match is to practice.

You learn to be able to tell when people are going to do something unsafe and give you a chance to do your damage and when they're doing stuff you absolutely need to react to by blocking or neutral jumping or whatever all by just having tons of matches.

And you learn how to do your damage combos by going into training mode and practicing them until the movements are engraved on your soul.

Tutorials will teach you mechanics, practice is how you do well.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

But stuff like that, I just don't understand how I'm meant to do that at the pace of an actual match. If I'm not just mashing buttons, it feels like it takes far too long for me to think about how to do anything.

I know, I'm just whining about being bad at the game. I'm just disappointed after so many people swore "No, GG's tutorials are way better than other fighting game tutorials".
No tutorial can somehow force or make it easier for you to learn how to do that stuff in a match. Once you understand what it is and how to consistently execute it on a training dummy that's just sitting there, the game's done basically all it can do. Learning how to do it under pressure, in the middle of a match, is just something you need to actually play the game to learn. Iunno what you want the game to do, really.

The tutorials are way better than other fighting games but a tutorial can't magically make you able to compete at a high or even average level in the space of a couple hours.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

This article is pretty neat, it talks about the 'mental stack' and why fighting games can feel overwhelming at first: https://kayin.moe/?p=2047

Playing effectively a real match is hard, even what you know what you're 'supposed' to be doing. One common piece of advice is to focus on improving at one thing at a time, and consider yourself to be 'winning' if you are able to do that, regardless of the result of the match. Eventually that part of the game will be relatively easy to you, and you can move on to the next thing you want to work on.

So maybe you don't need to know about tick throws at first, but you can start out doing a really basic combo into a knockdown (e.g. ky's low kick>low slash>sweep) and try to land it under the pressure of a match. Once that's easy for you, you can learn some kind of oki setup, like throwing a fireball they have to block on their wakeup after you knock them down. Once that's easy for you, you might notice that some players block your combo starter every time. In response to someone sitting and blocking every time, you can learn other ways to end the combo besides sweep that are more advantaged on block, like low kick>low slash> heavy slash. This is a stronger option if you are able to "confirm" if they are blocking or not after 1 or 2 hits and change your string on the fly. Or you can do just the first low kick by itself, take a step forward and throw them while they're expecting to block the rest of the string. (That's a tick throw.)

dhamster fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 23, 2021

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

a lot of it is just getting used to it. when you jump into a match as a new player you are going to be overwhelmed and that's fine. you just keep playing until you decide youre done for the day, let everything sit in your head overnight, then you come back the next day and try again. you can't skip this phase, everyone goes through it. i've been playing fgs for years now and i still get this way whenever i try playing a new title.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Rev2's tutorial is cute but I wouldn't say I learned much from it other than P K S HS special and to RC after that if you have meter.

I'm enjoying strive beta since matchmaking is populated so I can actually find low-mid level people to play with. I can't to long combos or confirms but I still get move muscle memory and practice moving around without getting 2-touched to death by veterans in rev2 lobbies.

Once you have basics down you work on actually doing the move you wanted to at the right time correctly, then learning what the right time is, etc.

I think.

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 23, 2021

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Fighting games are loving hard. I switched to stick and I'm getting absolutely destroyed in matches I'd win on pad, but I want to learn stick and it's fun. Like I can break out my supers more easily but my combos are poo poo and I can't reliably dragon punch now so the struggle is real.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I know from experience that I get way more anxiety trying to practice poo poo in missions/training mode stuff that tells me I hosed up. I'd rather just lost a hundred games against someone on the same couch as me while trying to land poo poo. I don't even know why my brain does it either, I literally just overthink poo poo when I'm in training mode.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

The tutorials are teaching you the important things you don't know, I think what it sounds like you're bouncing off of is not already knowing these things yet. Being able to incorporate those things into your gameplan comes with time, and you can only really become more confident in your gameplan when you are able to understand what you're even looking for in the first place, which is what the tutorials are ultimately introducing you to.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I played XX back in undergrad and this looks pretty good on streams, so I'm probably gonna get it and get humiliated by 12-year-olds. I wish fighting games had a training mode where you could play them at reduced speed so you can learn to recognize animations and react to them, or do combos carefully and then slowly ramp up to real-time as you memorize them. That's how you learn other skills, why are fighting games always at lightning speed

Anyway, Giovanna's dog is cool, but does she have any sort of... focus or theme, mechanically? All her moves seem super generic.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

She just wants to be a pretty girl with a brutish impulse.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Well, I came out of the beta with experience on Milla (my old GGX/X2 main), Sol (always a good standby), and Leo (The only character I did not previously play, but had fun with him)

I can't believe I am pumped to play a GG game again (I mean, I always liked the series but I kind of swore off actually playing it after being eaten alive by online Ravens in Xrd Rev)

Also one of my favorite little touches is Axl's win pose where he uses his time powers to grab something to eat :3:

EDIT: Also, could I have some tips on how to RC? It seems to be more useful than ever now.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Feb 23, 2021

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

megane posted:

I played XX back in undergrad and this looks pretty good on streams, so I'm probably gonna get it and get humiliated by 12-year-olds. I wish fighting games had a training mode where you could play them at reduced speed so you can learn to recognize animations and react to them, or do combos carefully and then slowly ramp up to real-time as you memorize them. That's how you learn other skills, why are fighting games always at lightning speed

The game slows down once you've played for a while and everything isn't a new signal for your brain to process anymore. If you're having trouble getting the inputs for a whole combo, do the part of the combo you have already down and then add extra steps at a slower pace even if they whiff/get blocked, then gradually speed up so you get the proper timing.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

Is Pot's 6K - Hammerfall still a thing in Strive? That being mandatory and a real pain in the rear end to do was the main reason why I stopped playing Pot in Xrd.

Pot has some decent options it feels like and also he's so stupid strong lol

2K > 2D > Mega fist comboes now

Mega fist counter combos into itself

Mega fist combos after slide hit knockdown if you're close enough

FDB (the flick) is so strong now.

He can combo Garuda Impact (the new flamethrower) into a Pot buster but I've never actually pulled it off

S,S,H, Hammerfall does not always combo but do it a couple of times then do hammerfall break and throw them :devil:

exquisite tea posted:

I think I'll still end up getting this on PC because even though the wifi is surprisingly good on PS4, the load times while swapping between Training + Quick Match are still long enough to annoy me. I also refuse to give Sony money to use the internet I already pay for!! And I wanna see that beautiful animation in glorious 1440p. Hopefully there will be a big enough playerbase so that I don't get completely waxed on Day 1.

Change training mode to use "Last Environment" or something like that and it will be practically 0 load times going into training. BUT I have a lot of failed matches out of training mode for some reason.

Al-Saqr posted:

When the time comes DM me your fightername and lets add each other on whatever friendlist is used for the game.

Yeah for sure, there are some GCC gaming discords I used to follow I'll try to check in on and share those if they end up having GG rooms

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

megane posted:

Anyway, Giovanna's dog is cool, but does she have any sort of... focus or theme, mechanically? All her moves seem super generic.

You're more likely to get owned by 30+ year olds than teens playing this.

Mechanically giovanna is a pretty pure rushdown character. She's pretty good at keeping up the pressure when she gets in, and her crossup overhead is fairly tricky (though maybe people will know how to block it after awhile).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

giovanna's thing seems to be fairly straightforward in her gameplan and in terms of how she moves. the dog's cool but besdies that shes easy to grasp. shes probably meant to be beginner friendly

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

EDIT: Also, could I have some tips on how to RC? It seems to be more useful than ever now.

Using RC in pressure is good, either you'll get red RC if they block something so you can do a mixup or if you whiff you'll get purple RC. This usually means they jumped, which people in the beta loved to do, and if the timeslow shockwave from the PRC hits them in the air it creates an incredibly easy airthrow opportunity.

Blue RC drift after a jump canceled ground normal leads to disgusting high/low mixups but can be tricky to pull off. I posted a video of this further up the thread using Giovanna, but here's a second video I made that refined it a little:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH_VYV33Bck

Basically just replaced the j.S with j.K to make it more stable since j.K has a better hitbox to hit grounded opponents. The low option is to not jump cancel the first j.K and do 2K or 2S upon landing. If you drift too high you'll go over crouchers but j.K has a crossup hitbox so you can still hit them at least.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Bummer that the beta is over. Best I got was floor 9, but I didn't get to play as much as I would have liked. I also wanted to try ram a bit but I never got around to it. She seems really strong now.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I was slummin around on floor 5 but it was fun for once to easily find other bads to play with.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Giovanna's theme is actually kind of brilliant because people have been asking what her deal is for months and the lyrics are all about how she's an uncomplicated and straightforward person.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

dhamster posted:

Bummer that the beta is over. Best I got was floor 9, but I didn't get to play as much as I would have liked. I also wanted to try ram a bit but I never got around to it. She seems really strong now.

Isnt it until the evening?
I thought 10 pm est.

Edit: gently caress, gamespot article lied to me. Rip

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 23, 2021

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I got to celestial floor twice but wasn't able to stay there since you have to win 5 out of your next 6 matches or you get kicked out. The matches I had there were fun, though.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Opinion asking but is this game kinda dark or is it just me? I was watching footage all beta and it was a lot of fun hanging with friends, but went back to Rev2 and it's like... the animations might not be as cutting edge but the colors at the very least popped more and were overall really appealing to me. Potemkin had like a bold almost cartoon outline and everything just looked super colorful.

Went back to watch more Strive and 'wow it animates nicely... but everything looks kinda muddy' and I seriously hope it's not just me.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Opinion asking but is this game kinda dark or is it just me? I was watching footage all beta and it was a lot of fun hanging with friends, but went back to Rev2 and it's like... the animations might not be as cutting edge but the colors at the very least popped more and were overall really appealing to me. Potemkin had like a bold almost cartoon outline and everything just looked super colorful.

Went back to watch more Strive and 'wow it animates nicely... but everything looks kinda muddy' and I seriously hope it's not just me.

It's really dependent on the stage lighting. I thought it ended up looking cool, but there are some places I think they went a little overboard and could stand to level things out a bit in that regard, though not going full on no dynamic lighting at all.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
Well back to dbzf or xrd for a month

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
GG AC+R actually has good netcode and a pretty big player base

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

But stuff like that, I just don't understand how I'm meant to do that at the pace of an actual match.

play the game

tutorials are noob traps

tutorials are just a flood of garbage info that is meaningless without the context that you can only get from playing the game sand being familiar with it. go back to them after grinding matches if you need help.

Zand fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 23, 2021

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

You just have to play. Fighting games are like picking up a sport, it doesn't seem like you'll ever be able to juggle a soccer ball when you first start and can't even kick it straight. You just gotta play and be bad and find a way to have fun doing stupid simple poo poo until it sinks into muscle memory and you can start building from it.

Also, if you're a total newbie, just play against the CPU a lot if you don't have other babbies to play against, going up against experienced players is just going to frustrate you because they're not going to let you do anything.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 23, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The good thing about a game having decent netcode and not being old & dead is that you will encounter many players online who are also total beginners themselves, meaning you don't have to have complete knowledge of absolutely everything to advance.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Getting back into Guilty Gear after not playing since X. Playing around with Xrd since I picked it up on Steam during the sale, and I boy every story section is bonkers.

I have decided Leo Whitefang is my guy now, hopefully this will be fine.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Getting back into Guilty Gear after not playing since X. Playing around with Xrd since I picked it up on Steam during the sale, and I boy every story section is bonkers.

I have decided Leo Whitefang is my guy now, hopefully this will be fine.

unga bunga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I’ve been iffy on strive all throughout the previews but after playing enough to hit Celestial with sol
It’s day one buy