Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

EngineerJoe posted:

Yeah, I mean look at Elon Musk. One kinda super rich guy throws all his money behind world changing ideas over and over again and has basically made electric cars, reusable rockets and satellite internet viable.

Now, I don't love Elon Musk but he did manage to put this all together and it's pretty amazing. I think part of it is his recklessness, and willing to lose everything if he fails.

Bill Gates tries to change the world for the better but he's so conservative that he only somewhat moves the needle.

It's very depressing, all these billionaires could at least be putting their money into R&D but they just use it to maintain their wealth and keep others down.

Musk didn't invent electric cars or found Tesla. He used his family wealth from apartheid-era African emerald mines and paypal (a company that became valuable by acting as a bank but avoiding bank regulation) to buy into Tesla after other people spent several years designing the cars.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Could it be Gsync kicking on? I get black flashes when certain applications turn gsync on, specifically game launchers which trigger gsync for some reason. It also happens when gsync turns off sometimes.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Shear Modulus posted:

Musk didn't invent electric cars or found Tesla. He used his family wealth from apartheid-era emerald mines to buy into Tesla after other people spent several years designing the cars.

I thought he founded Tesla with the proceeds of his stake in paypal?

A lot of people worship Musk as if he is some kind of living god. I wonder if his work is a net positive for society or if he's actively making things worse for all of us.

He strikes me as a 21st century version of Howard Hughes.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Kraftwerk posted:

A lot of people worship Musk as if he is some kind of living god. I wonder if his work is a net positive for society or if he's actively making things worse for all of us.

He didn't found Tesla but as part of his big investment in it in which he appointed himself the CEO he struck a deal with the founders to be called a "co-founder"

e: for all of what you're saying about Musk's foresight and vision in productive investments he also put $1.5B of Tesla's money into bitcoins two weeks ago

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 23, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kraftwerk posted:

The existence of billionaires is a net negative to society, actually.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Cygni posted:

Could it be Gsync kicking on? I get black flashes when certain applications turn gsync on, specifically game launchers which trigger gsync for some reason. It also happens when gsync turns off sometimes.

It could be. I thought it might be the Chrome browser flicker but seems to happen during just gaming as well. Both monitors I tried are Gsync.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Internet Explorer posted:

Don't make me tap the sign.
Tap this pal 🍑

The Grumbles posted:

I haven't tried Cyberpunk, but Control with RTX and DLSS runs incredibly well and looks gorgeous for me at 1440p with my 3070. Feels like it's going at well over 60fps. Is your CPU a little long in the tooth?
It’s a stock and slightly undervolted i7 8700, so maybe? But I’d be shocked considering that’s slightly above the performance range of a R5 3600. I noticed my frame times are weird too, which makes a high FPS not really feel high because the smoothness isn’t quite there.

buglord fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 23, 2021

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Shear Modulus posted:

He didn't found Tesla but as part of his big investment in it in which he appointed himself the CEO he struck a deal with the founders to be called a "co-founder"

e: for all of what you're saying about Musk's foresight and vision in productive investments he also put $1.5B of Tesla's money into bitcoins two weeks ago

I feel like being a Fortune 500 company and dumping money into an unregulated currency is a one way express ticket to having that currency become federally regulated but that's just me.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

buglord posted:

It’s a stock and slightly undervolted i7 8700, so maybe? But I’d be shocked considering that’s slightly above the performance range of a R5 3600. I noticed my frame times are weird too, which makes a high FPS not really feel high because the smoothness isn’t quite there.

Confirm your system RAM speeds and stability.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
Got bored and checked what 3070 FEs are going for on ebay. Here's what the last 8 have sold for - on average over 200% MSRP. Resale prices are approaching the 3090 FE's MSRP. The 2070 super I sold for $400 in October, is going between $800-$1000; I'm kicking myself for not being more patient.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mA fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 23, 2021

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Don't feel bad about your sale. If you were going to gamble on crypto going up (which is the thing that's pushed prices so astronomically high) you could have just done it directly and made more money. That said, you probably did sell a bit early, waiting until November and the crunch for Christmas gifts was probably always a smart play.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

terrorist ambulance posted:

I'm still getting occasional black screens for 2 or 3 seconds then it comes back on its own. Cannot troubleshoot it and its driving me insane

Try a different....chair?
https://www.theregister.com/2020/01/09/office_chair_emissions/

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

I’m legit whatever on Tesla but the work Space X is doing is pretty fuckin amazing.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Cygni posted:

This happens to me when WoW loads. Does not do it on exit though.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

I do think the Elon Musk / Howard Hughes comparison is legit, though Hughes was an engineer and Musk isn't. The more important thing is that sometimes having one man focus a lot of effort on projects with no regard for anyone else's opinion can produce really great results. There's a lack of it in today's world, most billionaires are just playing the safe game, and even though a lot of what Elon does is extremely dumb, at least he's out there taking risks and trying to rapidly innovate in areas where others are content with stagnation and slow development.

What I'm really saying is that we really need Elon to take an interest in GPU design and manufacture. Build a giant GPU into the next-gen Tesla and make me put my gaming PC in my garage.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

K8.0 posted:

I do think the Elon Musk / Howard Hughes comparison is legit, though Hughes was an engineer and Musk isn't. The more important thing is that sometimes having one man focus a lot of effort on projects with no regard for anyone else's opinion can produce really great results. There's a lack of it in today's world, most billionaires are just playing the safe game, and even though a lot of what Elon does is extremely dumb, at least he's out there taking risks and trying to rapidly innovate in areas where others are content with stagnation and slow development.

What I'm really saying is that we really need Elon to take an interest in GPU design and manufacture. Build a giant GPU into the next-gen Tesla and make me put my gaming PC in my garage.

Why do we all need to worship him though? His wealth and high risk investments have given him too much influence. If Elon woke up one morning and randomly decided to run his mouth that Intel is going to be the next greatest thing for hardware- you'll see Intel's stock skyrocket and if he bought prior to saying that he'd be able to sell his shares and profit. At his level you can engage in all sorts of market manipulation and use your reputation to mobilize willing lemmings to do your bidding with nothing but a tweet.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

oops wrong thread.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Alright, last warning on keeping this thread on topic or I will be handing out lengthy probes. This is not the Elon Musk or the Tesla thread. This is not the crypto thread. If it's not about GPUs, don't post it here.

If you're not sure if this is a reply to your post, it is. It's a reply to your post specifically.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Whatever happened to that gpu Intel was working on? Did they cancel it? This would be a great time to launch with how crazy the market is.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

OhFunny posted:

Whatever happened to that gpu Intel was working on? Did they cancel it? This would be a great time to launch with how crazy the market is.

I think they did release it or announce it and it wasn't particularly competitive.

https://newsroom.intel.com/articles/intel-releases-iris-xe-desktop-graphics-cards/

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

OhFunny posted:

i thiiiiiiiiink it has been deployed in enterprise somewhere? i mean to be fair they were targeting the very low end market - like, a competitor to the GT series, not GTX. i don't believe that segment of the market has been subject to the same madness as the rest of it.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

OhFunny posted:

They're still working on it. They've got a few ultra-low end/laptop products out, nothing noteworthy. If all goes well expect it to take another 3-5+ years before they're competitive with AMD/Nvidia at the low/mid range. GPUs are extremely challenging and also Intel is not exactly in the greatest state in general right now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

OhFunny posted:

Isn’t it the new Xe part that’s in the 11th gen chips?

Well a scaled down part at least.

It’s actually not a bad integrated GPU from what I’ve seen.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

OhFunny posted:

Not only are they still working on it (and close to release), they announced the high end one will use TSMC 7nm so it will be competing with everything else for fab space!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

taqueso posted:

I think they did release it or announce it and it wasn't particularly competitive.

https://newsroom.intel.com/articles/intel-releases-iris-xe-desktop-graphics-cards/

CoolCab posted:

i thiiiiiiiiink it has been deployed in enterprise somewhere? i mean to be fair they were targeting the very low end market - like, a competitor to the GT series, not GTX. i don't believe that segment of the market has been subject to the same madness as the rest of it.

Oh was that all it was? I remember them showing it running Destiny 2 like a year ago and it coming in at sub-60fps@1080p on the lowest settings. I figured there would be more powerful cards later as they worked things out.

Edit: wow a lot of replies. Thanks everyone!

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

OhFunny posted:

They're shipping it but...

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16450/intel-iris-xe-video-cards-now-shipping-to-oems-dg1-lands-in-desktops posted:

As for Intel’s target market, the company is targeting what they’re calling the “high-volume, value-desktop market.

so lol

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The current Xe is on the level of their latest igpus, sorry good for integrated graphics but not much compared to normal desktop gaming cards.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 23, 2021

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
the current Xe is literally the same design as their iGPU but slapped onto a standalone card. It also has some weird quirks like needing a custom BIOS, so it actually may be using DMI instead of PCIe internally, i.e. a literal copy and paste without even changing the PHY blocks.

It is, however, supposedly not a Tiger Lake die with CPU cores disabled, it is an actual separate die.

From what I remember they are supposed to put out a "XE HPG" this year that is the actual card people are looking for - although it's still quite possibly going to be quite low-end, maybe 1060 range. Then intel has another release next year and presumably they keep advancing up the stack.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

From what I remember they are supposed to put out a "XE HPG" this year that is the actual card people are looking for - although it's still quite possibly going to be quite low-end, maybe 1060 range.

Hey, Intel will have a $300 card in 2021. Not bad.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

DG2/ HPG has taped out supposedly. It looks like there are two versions, one with 128EU and one with 512EU. Tiger Lake and DG1 is 96EU, but bandwidth starved.

Honestly wouldnt surprise me if it launches on mobile first. Supposedly due later this year.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

It is, however, supposedly not a Tiger Lake die with CPU cores disabled, it is an actual separate die.

Hey Intel, sell me a pcie tiger lake die with cpu cores enabled

demostars
Apr 8, 2020
ETA Prime just did a video gaming on a Xe laptop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9224NgWwnH0

Ghost of RBG
Sep 21, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

EngineerJoe posted:

Yeah, I mean look at Elon Musk. One kinda super rich guy throws all his money behind world changing ideas over and over again and has basically made electric cars, reusable rockets and satellite internet viable.

Now, I don't love Elon Musk but he did manage to put this all together and it's pretty amazing. I think part of it is his recklessness, and willing to lose everything if he fails.

Holy crap :lol: user name and post :discourse:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

demostars posted:

ETA Prime just did a video gaming on a Xe laptop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9224NgWwnH0

The Xe also works really well on all the 7 inch gaming PCs that are coming out.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

taqueso posted:

Hey Intel, sell me a pcie tiger lake die with cpu cores enabled

Not quite Tiger Lake but: https://www.intel.ca/content/www/ca/en/products/boards-kits/nuc/elements/nuc-compute-elements/nuc9i7qnb.html

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Compared to other GPUs it's not even that expensive!

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Has anyone done a decent comparison of Intel's forays into "gaming" GPUs to the mainstream GPUs across generations? From a price / TDP / performance perspective I'd be curious to see if Intel is still the winner because their iGPUs have been so drat cheap and power light consistently. I know Raja is who led the last few GPUs out of AMD but Intel's not AMD nor ATI and I don't see how any executive could turn things around in just a few years. Heck, even bringing back Pat Gelsinger wasn't enough to keep Jim Keller on for very long. I haven't heard very charitable things about Intel's engineering processes from an organizational standpoint and time's run out not just for Moore's Law but for old methodologies in general.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Ghost of RBG posted:

Holy crap :lol: user name and post :discourse:

I chose that username 17 years ago when I graduated university. I would not choose that today, hell I never even got my license.

On topic of gpus: I reported a problem here awhile ago where if I mined overnight with proper profile settings the next day for gaming my gpu would be stuck with a low power limit until I powered down my pc. I have the latest BIOS on my 'normal' profile, but I never updated the silent profile. I switched over to silent and the issue hasn't happened since. And I don't think it happened before I upgraded. I'm not sure what to make of that but if anyone encounters a similar problem maybe that can help.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Everyone got lazy with integrated graphics but then Zoom and poo poo happened, intel is dead rear end right to start pumping out ~x050ti level parts ASAP, they're losing a ton of ground to nvidia in the space already.

An Optiplex Micro someday with even approaching 1060 performance would be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Speaking of zoom does broadcast actually require tensor cores or is that just market segmentation?