Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

"Introducing next gen VR" without a single picture?

It'll look stupid and strap to your face. PSVR got a lot of love for the way it comfortably rested its weight on your head, so I wouldn't expect it to stray too far from that basic design. I'm way more interested to see headset specs and understand how tracking will work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Chad Sexington posted:

Yeah, as a PSVR owner, this was 100% necessary. They need to do a better job making the experience friction-less in terms of setup and staying in the game. You have to pretty constantly reset your orientation to the camera with the current gen PSVR and the Moves love to drift on you. I'm pretty on the fence about getting the new one, but I guess it comes down to how it's supported. You had games like Superhot which felt like they were literally rewriting your brain and super immersive to the point of being unplayably scary like Resident Evil 7. Then you had a tooooon of cheap, low-res gimmick games.

I don't know whether this is true about VR more generally or the PSVR specifically, but I drifted away from it because it kind of felt like work. I fire up games after a day of work to blow off some steam and relax while smart game designers trick my brain into thinking I am accomplishing things. Putting on a VR headset and being transported to Skyrim or whatever isn't relaxing at all. In fact, stressing you out or putting you on edge is almost the strongest indicator that you've been successfully immersed. Always felt at cross purposes to me.

I have had an amazing time with my PSVR but yes, it does require some effort and it's pretty outdated now. I still think it's worth owning although PC and standalone VR has lapped it 10 times over at this point. A rift S or quest is basically no effort. All the tracking stuff is internal, the controllers are actually very good and versatile, much clearer picture, room scale etc.

This kind of stuff is basically the gold standard so expect a hypothetical follow up to PSVR to follow those trends.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'm not expecting otherwise, but it needs to be lighter.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

I have had an amazing time with my PSVR but yes, it does require some effort and it's pretty outdated now. I still think it's worth owning although PC and standalone VR has lapped it 10 times over at this point. A rift S or quest is basically no effort. All the tracking stuff is internal, the controllers are actually very good and versatile, much clearer picture, room scale etc.

This kind of stuff is basically the gold standard so expect a hypothetical follow up to PSVR to follow those trends.

Someone else pointed it out, but VR on PC is also a mess of exclusivity and access. Quest 2 is great, except you can't adjust the perception beyond three presets (which means I sizable chunk of people are just hosed from the get-go) and most of the games I'd actually want to play need to be on better hardware.

I'd shell out for a Quest 2 + link cable, but my otherwise beefy PC (equivalent to an OG Xbox One, roughly speaking) is practically incompatible with VR. I've thought about updating my graphics cards for that and other reasons, but I just got done playing Get a PS5 lottery, about to do the same for a vaccine, and have no bandwidth to do the same for one of the shiny new cards.

Just venting here, but the idea that VR is seamless or at all ready for primetime is silly.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I really hope that VR in general keeps getting cheaper and more accessible. I can't actually afford a VR headset myself, but when I see someone play a game like Half Life Alyx, there's just something special about being able to interact with a game world in such a completely new way. I was really sceptical about the whole resurgence of VR at first, but now I'm really excited about it as a new medium for games that allows for game experiences you can't really have any other way.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 23, 2021

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Seamless is a strong word, but I have a 3 year old Laptop with a 1070 and it runs basically every VR game fine with a Rift S. and it's one cable. There is no setup beyond plugging it in and putting it on. it's really borderline zero effort.

And yeah it's annoying that a few of the best games are oculus exclusive and you'll have to use that store front for those games. but other than that I just run everything off steam. I haven't even used the oculus app since shortly after I bought it so I could play some of the exclusive games.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I got into the next-gen PS5 technical test for MLB The Show 21.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Cardiovorax posted:

I really hope that VR in general keeps getting cheaper and more accessible. I can't actually a VR headset myself, but when I see someone play a game like Half Life Alyx, there's just something special about being able to interact with a game world in such a completely new way. I was really sceptical about the whole resurgence of VR at first, but now I'm really excited about it as a new medium for games that allows for game experiences you can't really have any other way.

I'm lukewarm on VR in general but I want to play HL Alyx so bad. Wish I could rent a Valve Index for a long weekend or something.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
VR is sick. My sisters and I play Poker and Mini Golf together and the sense of actual interaction with another human being you get is unparalleled by anything else in the gaming world. It's a great way for us to stay connected despite living across the country.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I hope I can still use my PSVR with whatever new stuff they put out, since I went and got that free adapter they offer awhile ago and had been thinking of booting it up again. :ohdear:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hi

Is it possible to claim PS+ games from the phone app? I sure as hell can’t find it if so.

Tanks in advance.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Overlord K posted:

I hope I can still use my PSVR with whatever new stuff they put out, since I went and got that free adapter they offer awhile ago and had been thinking of booting it up again. :ohdear:

I wouldn't count on it, I think PSVR support is there just for legacy PSVR games. It'll probably be like DS4 support, PS5 lets you use it only with PS4 games.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

MarcusSA posted:

Hi

Is it possible to claim PS+ games from the phone app? I sure as hell can’t find it if so.

Tanks in advance.

Yes, in the app click on the PS Store icon (middle icon in the bottom row), then navigate to the Subscriptions tab. There's a section in there called "PS Plus monthly games", from there you just open every game and click the Add to Library button.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

Hi

Tanks in advance.

yes tap the store icon at center bottom, then slide over to subscription tab (just off screen to the right at the top)

efb

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
what are the march psplus games, dont we usually find out by now?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Baggot posted:

Yes, in the app click on the PS Store icon (middle icon in the bottom row), then navigate to the Subscriptions tab. There's a section in there called "PS Plus monthly games", from there you just open every game and click the Add to Library button.

Thanks! I swear I tried it before and it never worked.

Worked like a charm this time though!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Rinkles posted:

"Introducing next gen VR" without a single picture?

Feels like they’re just opening the door for game announcements even if the hardware’s still being worked on. More of just a “hey, it’s real and happening, you can talk about it now”.

I admit I’ll probably get in on it day one this time. I love my PSVR even if I haven’t used it for a while.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Vikar Jerome posted:

We'll find out tomorrow, they usually announce on the last Wednesday before the first Tuesday of the next month.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Vikar Jerome posted:

we'll know in the next two days. its usually the wed/thurs before the first tuesday of the month that we get the announcement.

we know already that destruction all starts is going to be on there for another month

efb

gdi everyone is hot on these answers today!

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Chad Sexington posted:

I don't know whether this is true about VR more generally or the PSVR specifically, but I drifted away from it because it kind of felt like work.

It's like this for every headset for me unfortunately. I wear glasses 90% of the time, so if I want to play some VR I have to take them off and then put in my contacts. And I have long hair, so depending on the headset's strap orientation I have to either put my hair up in a ponytail or freaking pigtails. That's all in addition to having to fiddle with the rear of the console to hook up the breakout box every single time too. I know basically none of that is PSVR specific, but it just was not worth it to me. What, I want to do my hair, put in contacts, dig around in my TV stand to play RE7 when I get home from work? I'd much rather just chill on the couch and play it in non-VR mode. If the PSVR2 doesn't require a hook up every time, and doesn't slide up my head because of my hair I might think about getting it. But I'm definitely going to wait for it to go down in price some.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I wonder if it would be possible to just get a headset in prescription strength at some point. I mean, there are magnifying lenses in there, aren't there? Means they should be able to do the same job glasses do.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/23/22297039/playstation-ceo-ps5-supply-2021-stock-consoles-jim-ryan

Yet...

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/02/chip-shortage-may-threaten-playstation-5-supplies-at-christmas/

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

I wonder if it would be possible to just get a headset in prescription strength at some point. I mean, there are magnifying lenses in there, aren't there? Means they should be able to do the same job glasses do.

If you can swap out the lenses, then that would be a good idea. But if they're permanently attached then that means that households would have to buy a new headset for every person, and if your prescription changed, you'd have to get a new one also.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Christmas is the very end of Q4, so Q3 and Q4 (early) should see more units, and the Christmas rush may cause a shortage again (along with other factors that could emerge).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

So the MLB the Show 21 PS5 technical test, didn't get much of a chance to really play it so far. Much of it is very buggy and broken, but it still has 58 days to go before official release. Trying to play an actual match just leads to a crash, only practice mode is working. The graphical upgrade is virtually non-existent, if you were looking to play it on PS5 for that reason, stick to MLB the Show 20 and get that for $10 - $ 15 on sale. It's maybe a bit unclear if this is really the PS5 upgrade, but my download said that this is the PS5 only version I was downloading.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Soysaucebeast posted:

If you can swap out the lenses, then that would be a good idea. But if they're permanently attached then that means that households would have to buy a new headset for every person, and if your prescription changed, you'd have to get a new one also.
That seems like something that would be easy to solve just by making the design modular - just put the lenses in little slots that you can take out or put in at will.

On the other hand, those would also have to be standardized so as to avoid every manufacturer trying to bind you to their brand by having their own special format, which would force you to rebuy lenses with every headset. Corporate being America what it is, that sort of thing would never go through on your side of the pond. The EU might force that issue, but the US never would, so maybe it's better that they don't start making your buy your own lenses.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

VR is sick. My sisters and I play Poker and Mini Golf together and the sense of actual interaction with another human being you get is unparalleled by anything else in the gaming world. It's a great way for us to stay connected despite living across the country.

Which minigolf do you play virtually?

On a similar note, I appreciate Sony confirming that they'll be improved VR but that it'll be a while. Giving me information to inform my purchasing decision.... whoa

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Casnorf posted:

You've never had a desk job, huh?

The interesting and horrifying bits of Control are extremely rooted in a specific culture that won't make any sense if you've never been there. There's nothing wrong with that, mind! Just that you can really easily tell some lived experiences of the players by how close to home the world building of Control hits.

If that suspicion is correct, count yourself lucky. No one need have any sort of terrible experience for any reason. It doesn't build character and it doesn't make you stronger. It just sucks.

Your suspicion is incorrect.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Control tells the story of a millennial drifter with no college education who walks into the FBC applying to be a janitor and winds up becoming the Director in a day, a power fantasy that I imagine many Something Awful posters can relate to.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

acksplode posted:

I wouldn't count on it, I think PSVR support is there just for legacy PSVR games. It'll probably be like DS4 support, PS5 lets you use it only with PS4 games.

There's still a bunch of stuff coming out for it. it has and will continue to have solid 3rd party support. They just won't be PS5 games. I'd say a better comparison would be Vita.

I wouldn't count on Sony doing any more exclusives or anything however. Although Hitman just came out post PS5 as a PSVR exclusive so who knows.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Control tells the story of a snake person drifter with no college education who walks into the FBC applying to be a janitor and winds up becoming the Director in a day, a power fantasy that I imagine many Something Awful posters can relate to.

That just sounds stressful tbh.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Narcissus1916 posted:

Which minigolf do you play virtually?

On a similar note, I appreciate Sony confirming that they'll be improved VR but that it'll be a while. Giving me information to inform my purchasing decision.... whoa

Walkabout Mini-Golf

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1408230/Walkabout_Mini_Golf_VR/

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh jesus I just realized all this VR chat was because Sony officially confirmed a PS5 headset. That's awesome.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lol

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Soysaucebeast posted:

It's like this for every headset for me unfortunately. I wear glasses 90% of the time, so if I want to play some VR I have to take them off and then put in my contacts. And I have long hair, so depending on the headset's strap orientation I have to either put my hair up in a ponytail or freaking pigtails. That's all in addition to having to fiddle with the rear of the console to hook up the breakout box every single time too. I know basically none of that is PSVR specific, but it just was not worth it to me. What, I want to do my hair, put in contacts, dig around in my TV stand to play RE7 when I get home from work? I'd much rather just chill on the couch and play it in non-VR mode. If the PSVR2 doesn't require a hook up every time, and doesn't slide up my head because of my hair I might think about getting it. But I'm definitely going to wait for it to go down in price some.

Cardiovorax posted:

There are a number of providers that do this for VR headsets today. They absolutely work and are much better than the contact shuffle for someone who wears glasses most of the time. They are reasonably priced as well.

Examples:
https://www.oculus.com/accessories/virtuclear-lens-inserts/
https://vr-lens-lab.com/

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Oh jesus I just realized all this VR chat was because Sony officially confirmed a PS5 headset. That's awesome.

It’s ok it took me two days to realise people hadn’t just all decided to talk about Diablo in both PlayStation threads for no reason

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My prescription lenses for my Reverb G2 are out in the mail finally. :toot:

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1364334381876273159

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Not really expecting anything from that State of Play. At 30 minutes, I doubt there will be anything earth shattering to announce. Pretty much every game anyone is really dying to play finally, has been pushed back to 2022.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I said come in! posted:

Not really expecting anything from that State of Play. At 30 minutes, I doubt there will be anything earth shattering to announce. Pretty much every game anyone is really dying to play finally, has been pushed back to 2022.

Gotta be better than the last Nintendo direct