Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I'm liking the silver sword, it has an effect that stuns certain creatures.

I got pretty damned lucky and was able to mine 400 silver on my starting island, so I just made and fully upgraded most of the silver stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Sankis posted:

Not really. You can't make weapons and armor out of tin and copper alone. Costs are still pretty high to fully outfit someone in bronze. It'd mostly just mean that a trek to a copper vein for 40 ore or whatever would get you more than maybe one item out of the deal. Making bronze is tedious and way more time consuming than maybe anything else.

Each tier seems to have a basic gimmick for resource gathering. Bronze's just seems to be tedium.

I guess my seed and crew is on their poo poo then because we have more bronze than we even know what to do with. Its never felt in short supply to us. We spent a good day setting up a fairly efficient mining and refining system with supply run routes, both road and sea, from several mining outposts to transport ore back to our capital so we can bang out bars in our double kiln/smelter. We have almost two full chests of bronze with 4 people already fully kitted. Maybe that feels like tedium but sailing back/carting back to our capital through our routes with a ton of ore will never not be an awesome vibe to me.

Flater posted:

I don't understand, that's part of the game, you're playing it. The whole game is built around making you have to go on expeditions for resources, it's supposed to be an effort so it's satisfying.

Exactly.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 23, 2021

Flater
Oct 20, 2006

Ask me about sucking Batman's dick

PittTheElder posted:

It's especially bad when you have like 8 people playing on a server. It's taken expeditions and whole secondary industrial areas just to get everyone kitted out with axes and pickaxes.

I don't understand, that's part of the game, you're playing it. The whole game is built around making you have to go on expeditions for resources, it's supposed to be an effort so it's satisfying.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Flater posted:

I think this is why I'm loving this game more than its ilk. Building out road systems and digging out a canal felt real great when they made supply runs so much easier, and yeah, I get in the mood to build the occasional outpost or dock as waystations, and sometimes these develop even more if they become important due to nearby resources. It's like I'm actually building a civilization, plank by plank.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Immensely proud of the teamwork we put in to erect this city. It is so satisfying coming back from a boss or adventure to this place.

Bonus shot of Thors blessings

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

AccountSupervisor posted:

excellent poo poo

God drat, that's wild. So loving cool.

One of the reasons I think Bronze feels particularly bad, at least in my experience, is just how fast pickaxes break, and how coupled with the RNG it can create a rhythm that feels like poo poo.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

That would literally defeat the entire purpose of bronze being more valuable and useful a resource than copper and tin alone, both in game and IRL.

Bronze is expensive because it's 88% copper, not because you waste 2/3 of the materials making it

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
For those struggling to make a lot of bronze, the most efficient method for me was run through a patch of black forest, mark all the copper on the map, then build a little road using the hoe linking them all together and bring the cart around. Takes a little longer to build the road but you save so much time after when you're dragging the cart around. Also the copper deposits go much deeper than you'd think. Dig down when you think you got everything from the surface and you'll find more.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Sab Sabbington posted:

One of the reasons I think Bronze feels particularly bad, at least in my experience, is just how fast pickaxes break, and how coupled with the RNG it can create a rhythm that feels like poo poo.

Even within the normal play of the game, you can plop down a shack near where you mine with a forge to repair your pickaxe real quick (and rest up if need be)

and 'shack' is generous, you can make it work with two thatch roofs stuck to a tree or rockface

similar note, carrying a hammer with 5 stone 2 wood for a campfire, you can get the Rested buff under any area that gives you the Sheltered buff (a rock overhang, even a Burial Chamber entrance) and if you carry 5 stone 14 wood, you can get the Rested buff anywhere (campfire outside -> workbench -> put the roof above where you sit for a shelter bonus -> disassemble workbench). Comfort only boosts the Rested buff duration, not the effect.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Tempora Mutantur posted:

Even within the normal play of the game, you can plop down a shack near where you mine with a forge to repair your pickaxe real quick (and rest up if need be)

Oh yeah, there are options around it and I'm well past it myself, but going through the process again on a dedicated server with a new character highlights that even if it's doable, it still feels bad, which is a fairly stark contrast from most things in this game. I honestly think if each chunk was guaranteed to drop at least one it would solve all of the problems.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I don't understand some people's impatience with climbing up the progression ladder. Yeah, it might take a couple days' game sessions to gather some materials for new poo poo, so what? This game is fantastic, I'm just glad it's gonna take a bit longer to get all the way through.

Didn't need to schlep back and forth a whole lot either, I just built a little compound in the Black Forest with like five or six copper deposits within a stone's throw from it, and ended up making it my main base for a good while. Wasn't a big deal to get enough bronze for a full array of upgraded gear from there. :shrug:

Tempora Mutantur posted:

similar note, carrying a hammer with 5 stone 2 wood for a campfire, you can get the Rested buff under any area that gives you the Sheltered buff (a rock overhang, even a Burial Chamber entrance) and if you carry 5 stone 14 wood, you can get the Rested buff anywhere (campfire outside -> workbench -> put the roof above where you sit for a shelter bonus -> disassemble workbench). Comfort only boosts the Rested buff duration, not the effect.

You don't even need the sheltered condition, you can simply just make a campfire and sit down by it for a comfort level 1 rest. As long as it's not raining, at least.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 23, 2021

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

xzzy posted:

Only the first troll is scary, it's funny how routine they become after you've done it a couple times. Just make a bunch of arrows and kite them around, as long as you don't get hit they're easy.

They seem to drop ~5 leather each kill.

They're great for chopping trees.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Tempora Mutantur posted:

and 'shack' is generous, you can make it work with two thatch roofs stuck to a tree or rockface

You can get the rested buff even without shelter, if you sit on the ground near a campfire. Obviously doesn't work if it's raining.

e;fb

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Copper didn't bug me at all.

After the pain of creeping around in the forest sneaking up on deer or sprinting around to find boars, getting lots of copper and tin was relaxing.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

...I always wondered why I had minimum 3 comfort everywhere I went, just chalked it up to early access

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Tempora Mutantur posted:

Comfort only boosts the Rested buff duration, not the effect.

This is true for the HP and Stamina regen, but the comfort has a secondary effect that's not listed in-game. As tested here, comfort gives a 10% XP bonus per point while that Rested buff persists.

That's less important when you're just mining or clearcutting forest, but it makes a big difference if you're training a skill out in the world (or at a dojo in town).

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I wish there was an easy combat mode, I really suck at combat in the mountains especially

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Sab Sabbington posted:

God drat, that's wild. So loving cool.

Thanks! We did this in one week lol.

What level is your pickaxe? A level 3 lasts a long time for me.

Maybe weve gotten lucky but we have an entire land mass dubbed "The Tin Coast" and a city named "Aeris"(Latin for copper) because theres a huge abundance of both in the surrounding Black Forest on all sides and weve set up an efficient road and river route back to our capital.

2-3 people organizing to mine at a previously scouted and marked deposit hot spot, transport via cart or boat the copper/tin ore to a centralized double smelter/kiln with an upgraded forge at our capital. An hour or two doing that and we usually end up with a massive amount of bronze. We usually double up the transport duties between the long road and river between Aeris and our capital.

The game rewards you for setting up efficient systems immensely, the time spent focusing on this saves us SO much more time doing it in small runs/pieces and having metals scattered around several bases.

Same goes for planting wood/tree farms, etc. The game clearly wants you to build efficient systems that somewhat mirror how an actually well organized small "civilization" would and rewards you for doing so.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I also think that having a bunch of buddies to play with vs playing solo makes a pretty huge difference. Copper and tin are grindy and slow. But if you've got a team of 4 people building infrastructure, setting up outposts, focusing in on specific materials, etc it's going to be 1) more fun and 2) way easier.

Building a road network seems super fun, but if I'm doing it alone it's gonna be arduous and slow. If I have 3 buddies I can put one in charge of running tools back and forth to camp for repairs, two in charge of clearing and pulling stone and wood from the pathway and me paving and smoothing and torching as I go, then yeah it's going to go much much more smoothly.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

DrBox posted:

For those struggling to make a lot of bronze, the most efficient method for me was run through a patch of black forest, mark all the copper on the map, then build a little road using the hoe linking them all together and bring the cart around. Takes a little longer to build the road but you save so much time after when you're dragging the cart around. Also the copper deposits go much deeper than you'd think. Dig down when you think you got everything from the surface and you'll find more.

This plus a mining hut to repair your pick/sleep is the way to go. Valheim: Building Roads For Fun and Profit.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Saxophone posted:

I also think that having a bunch of buddies to play with vs playing solo makes a pretty huge difference. Copper and tin are grindy and slow. But if you've got a team of 4 people building infrastructure, setting up outposts, focusing in on specific materials, etc it's going to be 1) more fun and 2) way easier.

Building a road network seems super fun, but if I'm doing it alone it's gonna be arduous and slow. If I have 3 buddies I can put one in charge of running tools back and forth to camp for repairs, two in charge of clearing and pulling stone and wood from the pathway and me paving and smoothing and torching as I go, then yeah it's going to go much much more smoothly.

This is very very much the case and a lot of the game systems are designed around group work, so I totally understand the frustrations playing solo.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

My map is a big island so far although the southern part turned out to be a separate small island bordered by an inland lake. Haven't managed to find a good source of crypts yet either, but I accidentally discovered the Bonemass altar.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Does the path tool do anything beyond stripping grass and whatnot from the target area? Is there a reason to use it vs the smooth tool?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Does anyone know what could be making this game run like rear end all of a sudden over the last few days?

It's always been a bit low framerate but all of a sudden it's nearly unplayable, both on a server and in new local test worlds.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

not finished yet but looking cool so far:

bridge ended up nicely

Feral Integral fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 23, 2021

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

This is very very much the case and a lot of the game systems are designed around group work, so I totally understand the frustrations playing solo.

Yeah, I've noticed a few people are like "well, the lads and I knocked a road system the other night..." And I'm just like "I have no lads."

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Feral Integral posted:

not finished yet but looking cool so far:

Hot drat this rules. Just got iron and cant wait to get those support colums

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Saxophone posted:

Yeah, I've noticed a few people are like "well, the lads and I knocked a road system the other night..." And I'm just like "I have no lads."

You’re welcome to hop onto my VPS and get as infrastructure as your given week will allow. PM me and I’ll shoot you the details; unless we’re cool with posting server deets here.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

when you guys say road are you actually doing the paved road with the stonecutter? Or just smoothing out a path? Does the paved road actually increase cart speed?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Making a basement kitchen for my bar but it was getting mad smoky.

Made a kitchen hood/vent

Side exhaust

top of the vent

Lesson learned: You can divert smoke kind of a lot. It doesn't need to be a straight line.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
this game is fun but the death penalty is ludicrous; I shouldn't lose literally hours of skill gains because a tree fell on me or whatever

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

MOTHERFUCK

I went AFK to post and a bunch of drakes did a driveby, killed me and all my hogs.
gently caress this game I love it.

edit was that the motherfucking GRIM REAPER???????

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 23, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nosre posted:

when you guys say road are you actually doing the paved road with the stonecutter? Or just smoothing out a path? Does the paved road actually increase cart speed?

We're talking smacking the ground with the leveling tool and clearing out any major trees that get in the way. It doesn't make the cart faster but it makes it a lot easier because you can run in straight lines without getting snagged on rocks constantly.

Plus it looks really nice, a dirt path cutting through a meadows forest looks great.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Well that was funny.

I just started building a new base. The spot is very idyllic: One of those circles of five big standing stones in the meadows, right on the shore of a small lake, between two little brooks running into said lake. This position proved serendipitous when (monster attack spoilers) I came under attack by freaking surtlings. Turns out they really, really can't handle water. Meaning, it loving kills them. I just stood on top of my unfinished wall and watched as they all waded into one of the brooks and went *poof*. Then one lone surtling came in from inland, hurled a single fireball into a corner beam, and hosed off. Thanks for the free cores and coal I guess? :v:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Started over on a new character to try and go full dagger (and some mace, for a certain boss), but I worry about one thing...

Anyone tried taking out a serpent without ranged?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

xzzy posted:

We're talking smacking the ground with the leveling tool and clearing out any major trees that get in the way. It doesn't make the cart faster but it makes it a lot easier because you can run in straight lines without getting snagged on rocks constantly.

Plus it looks really nice, a dirt path cutting through a meadows forest looks great.

Word, makes sense. Doing it all paved would be a pain with needing to move the stonecutter constantly

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I saw a post on the subreddit suggest that dirt/paved roads should reduce stamina cost when running on them, which I think is a great idea I hope they implement.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

It would be a sick as hell quality of life improvement to be able to just upgrade entire stretches of path/road al la Sim City or the like.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Initial world: found the first boss without meaning to and without setting up another spawn. Beat him bloody with my bare fists, dying repeatedly as I respawned directly in the arena :black101:

After that, got to bronze pretty quickly. Set up my Hōmë Base in a nice clearing next to one of Ulf's runestones. First Karve leads me to an island with New Trees, which I try to chop down. Doing this results in a terrifying Wood Apocalypse where many tangled trees got caught in the falling tree, which made them fall, which cascaded into the Black Forest murder-yeeting me into the shallows by my boat. 10/10 would die to Treerage again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Mine carts on tracks would be fun and dangerous, and it would give a metal sink for not-current metals/alloys