Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Nitrousoxide posted:

Looks like they finally figured out how to get al dente working on the M1 macs. Now you can limit your max charge again to extend the longevity of your battery.

https://github.com/davidwernhart/AlDente

I thought modern MacBooks will do this on their own?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Ziploc posted:

They do, but al dente gives you more direct control over it. (I don’t use it, just explaining why someone might want to.)

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

FCKGW posted:

They don’t have to create anything, it's just a simple opt-in procedure with their current iOS app so if they haven't done it now it's likely they never will.

It was actually opt-out; all existing iOS apps were made available to run on the M1 Macs by default unless the devs explicitly disallowed it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Ziploc posted:

Apple tries to learn when you unplug your computer in the morning and tries to time your battery hitting 100% to just before you would start using it. Having the computer stay fully charged up as little time as possible is a good strategy for Apple since that (or below 20%) is where you get the most wear on the battery. Since we're in a COVID world where I barely leave the house though, it spends a lot of time on the charging cable sitting at 100%. This just lets you say "Hey, never go above (whatever % you select)"

Staying between 20-60 or 80% will dramatically improve the longevity of your battery life. It's one of the reasons why modern electric cars have batteries that can last for so many cycles. Part of it is battery formulas that are better suited to handle more charge cycles by sacrificing some energy density, but part of it is just smarter battery charge management and just never going above 80ish % unless the user really really needs to.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Just make 80% display as 100%
And 100% display as 120% ‘overcharge! >:|’
And people will be fine with ‘only’ charging to ‘100%’

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Apple tries to learn when you unplug your computer in the morning and tries to time your battery hitting 100% to just before you would start using it. Having the computer stay fully charged up as little time as possible is a good strategy for Apple since that (or below 20%) is where you get the most wear on the battery. Since we're in a COVID world where I barely leave the house though, it spends a lot of time on the charging cable sitting at 100%. This just lets you say "Hey, never go above (whatever % you select)"

Staying between 20-60 or 80% will dramatically improve the longevity of your battery life. It's one of the reasons why modern electric cars have batteries that can last for so many cycles. Part of it is battery formulas that are better suited to handle more charge cycles by sacrificing some energy density, but part of it is just smarter battery charge management and just never going above 80ish % unless the user really really needs to.

This way you effectively just limit your battery capacity earlier in the lifespan of the device rather than later. Batteries are degrading no matter what you do and companies should be compelled to make it affordable and accessible to switch an old battery out.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Honj Steak posted:

This way you effectively just limit your battery capacity earlier in the lifespan of the device rather than later. Batteries are degrading no matter what you do and companies should be compelled to make it affordable and accessible to switch an old battery out.

Thousands of cycles from 90-10% is a lot better than hundreds from 100-0. (These numbers aren’t accurate I’m just stating the overall idea)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Boris Galerkin posted:

Nice. Especially the battery. Keyboard feels weird to type on now cause it’s all new. Turnaround time was a bit over a week. I think I got the shipping box on a Thursday and dropped it off to Office Max on Friday morning

Did Apple work on it or Office Max?

quote:

Is the keyboard assembly the same old one that’s prone to breaking or is it the updated one? This is for a 2018 rMBP.

They have replacements for each single model and year due to small variances in each revision, not to mention you have to run a proprietary Apple utility to properly 'mate' the keyboard with the logic board.. when I've done it I've noticed things like an extra condom layer and differences in construction in the replacements. When dealing with Apple, I've never seen the old one sent as a replacement.

When dealing with third parties.. well, you'd be surprised..

I hate when people throw an Amazon / AliBaba link at me and say 'if I order this will you install it?' The answer is 'sure, but no way in hell will AppleCare cover it, and I will charge you for the labor down to the second, and it will be totally on you as far as what happens to your machine after.'

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Honj Steak posted:

You're just limiting the charge max when you don't need the power. You can always up the Al Dente charge cap if you need to fully charge the battery for a day out and about, or just disable it entirely if you don't care to janitor your battery and just replace it when it goes bad.

Personally, since the battery is usually the first thing to go bad on my laptops, and what forces me to upgrade, I'm happy to run shallow cycles on the battery on the vast majority of days where I'm just browsing the internet on the couch, and occasionally up the max charge for when/if I go out with the laptop. If it extends the time the laptop is usable without a battery replacement by a year or two that basically saves me a 500 to 1000 dollars by skipping an 1/2 to 1 replacement cycles

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Al Dente is exactly the kind of thing I would expect Apple to Sherlock if they had any sense. It seems like an enormously more useful than their Optimised Charging setup, and a hell of a lot easier to use too (by virtue of the user having literally any control over it).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Binary Badger posted:

Did Apple work on it or Office Max?

Apple. Office Max was just the closest drop off location for UPS or whoever they use.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I've presently got a 2017 Macbook Pro 15", I use two external displays via USB-C plugged directly into the two ports on the right hand side, then on the left hand side I use an adaptor which takes a USB-C power connection and provides 3x USB-A ports.

I'm thinking of getting the 13" M1 with 16GB RAM, but I wondered:
- Will that drive two external displays at 2560x1440?
- Can I use an adaptor to use those two USB-C ports to receive power AND drive two external displays?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Fedule posted:

Al Dente is exactly the kind of thing I would expect Apple to Sherlock if they had any sense. It seems like an enormously more useful than their Optimised Charging setup, and a hell of a lot easier to use too (by virtue of the user having literally any control over it).

I think that’s pretty unlikely, Apple isn’t interested in giving people super granular control over their battery cycles, and 99.9% of people don’t care. It should be transparent/thoughtless for most users.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I've presently got a 2017 Macbook Pro 15", I use two external displays via USB-C plugged directly into the two ports on the right hand side, then on the left hand side I use an adaptor which takes a USB-C power connection and provides 3x USB-A ports.

I'm thinking of getting the 13" M1 with 16GB RAM, but I wondered:
- Will that drive two external displays at 2560x1440?
- Can I use an adaptor to use those two USB-C ports to receive power AND drive two external displays?

You can only drive 1 display on the m1, so wait for m1x or go ultra-wide. Also my monitor powers my laptop over usb-c, you would need a dock/hub with power passthrough to charge using a regular monitor with both ports filled.

Perplx fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 22, 2021

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Perplx posted:

You can only drive 1 display on the m1, so wait for m1x or go ultra-wide. Also my monitor powers my laptop over usb-c, you would need a dock/hub with power passthrough to charge using a regular monitor with both ports filled.

Thanks - my current hub has power passthrough so I'd just source something similar. Given what you said about monitors, and the fact that I might need to get this quickly, it sounds like I'd be better off with a refurb 16" Intel.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Thanks - my current hub has power passthrough so I'd just source something similar. Given what you said about monitors, and the fact that I might need to get this quickly, it sounds like I'd be better off with a refurb 16" Intel.

You can run 4 externals with the 16!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

Doesn't the internal BMS of the battery already do the depth-of-discharge limiting? Not that it's documented anywhere, but curious if we've got layer on layers of over-provisioning going on or not.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Refurbished M1 Macs have hit the Apple Store! So far only MacBook Pros..

Saw an M1 MacBook Pro with 16 GB / 1 TB SSD for $1609..

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Binary Badger posted:

Refurbished M1 Macs have hit the Apple Store! So far only MacBook Pros..

Saw an M1 MacBook Pro with 16 GB / 1 TB SSD for $1609..

Oh hey I’m glad I waited this long. Hopefully some 16gb airs will drop soon. At the same time I imagine those will go pretty quick.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

Oh hey I’m glad I waited this long. Hopefully some 16gb airs will drop soon. At the same time I imagine those will go pretty quick.

Almost wish I would have waited but I love my M1.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

MarcusSA posted:

Almost wish I would have waited but I love my M1.

I’m a big dumb fussy idiot anyway and will probably want a new one by the time I’m ready. Apple refurbs are fantastic though, really are.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
anybody use an 8gb M1 model to do relatively undemanding video work (FCP + Premiere)? Predominantly 1080, maybe some 4K? I have a project I want to work on ASAP that I figured I could toss a $670 Mini at while my 2013 MBP is still trucking like a champ and I've got $300 in Apple credit.

Like I mentioned recently, once I start adding options and bringing up the price to $870 or $1050 I start wanting to upgrade to an optioned-out Air. And at $1300+ that puts me close to iMac/Macbook Pro money and then I'm 1) spending a lot more money 2) waiting a much longer time to get this project worked on. If I could get a Mini now that did the job I could work on my thing and then maybe resell it at a (hopefully) minimal loss once 14" Macbook Pros and Apple Silicon iMacs come onto the scene with more longevity.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If you really aren’t planning on keeping it then yeah 8gb should be ok.

Long term though you’d want the 16gb imo.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

I feel like the 16gb Airs will be the “2012 Mac Mini” of this refurb cycle, just perpetually hard to keep stocked.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does anyone else Firefox constantly freeze on a M1 Mac mini after wake from sleep?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Mine doesn't freeze but goes all weird when I connect a non retina monitor and I have to restart it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://www.imore.com/m1-mac-users-report-alarming-hard-drive-health-readings

Some folks are reporting like 160 TB of writes to their onboard SSDs after only two months of use (even with 16 GB of RAM!)

My old lovely rMBP's upgraded SSD that I use for doing lovely Firefox and other itty bitty builds has like 23 TB worth of writes after two years..

Hopefully it's just some M1 specific bug in the reporting..

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

https://www.imore.com/m1-mac-users-report-alarming-hard-drive-health-readings

Some folks are reporting like 160 TB of writes to their onboard SSDs after only two months of use (even with 16 GB of RAM!)

My old lovely rMBP's upgraded SSD that I use for doing lovely Firefox and other itty bitty builds has like 23 TB worth of writes after two years..

Hopefully it's just some M1 specific bug in the reporting..

My 16GB M1 Air is reporting slightly under 1TB after nearly a month, which averaging out is about the same as yours from the sounds of it.

Usage patterns vary obviously and are very hard to compare objectively, but if it was a universal M1 problem I'd expect to be closer to the complainers' figures rather than about 1/80th..

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

If I'm reading these SMART stats right, my late 2013 rMBP has 53TB of writes in its lifetime, which includes 20,350 hours of time powered on.

160TB of writes in 2 months seems hosed?

e: From reading the Twitter posts about it it looks like it might affect Intel models too? I'm keeping this machine on Mojave until I finally retire it just because I'm not going to deal with replacing some 32-bit software I use. Perhaps that allowed me to avoid it.

Pakistani Brad Pitt fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 23, 2021

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
For what it's worth, I have 3.73 TB written on this nearly 3 month old 16 GB M1 Air.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

How do you tell this?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Seeing a bunch of posts from people with Intel MBPs with the same issue, looks like it might be a Big Sur problem.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

How do you tell this?

Use Homebrew to install smartmontools or download the trial version of DriveDx, either of which will report data units written, usually in Terabytes

Big Sur always seems to be using full SSD power 90% of the time (as seen via iStat Menus) so I don't doubt it could be the culprit. It's still got a lot of work in progress to fix.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Binary Badger posted:

Use Homebrew to install smartmontools or download the trial version of DriveDx, either of which will report data units written, usually in Terabytes

Big Sur always seems to be using full SSD power 90% of the time (as seen via iStat Menus) so I don't doubt it could be the culprit. It's still got a lot of work in progress to fix.

My 8gig M1 Mac.

SMART/Health Information (NVMe Log 0x02)
Critical Warning: 0x00
Temperature: 33 Celsius
Available Spare: 100%
Available Spare Threshold: 99%
Percentage Used: 2%
Data Units Read: 80,811,470 [41.3 TB]
Data Units Written: 66,062,034 [33.8 TB]
Host Read Commands: 485,357,181
Host Write Commands: 236,569,177
Controller Busy Time: 0
Power Cycles: 183
Power On Hours: 226
Unsafe Shutdowns: 11
Media and Data Integrity Errors: 0
Error Information Log Entries: 0

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

That’s a lot of data

Also what is an unsafe shutdown?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Running down the power. Hard power off without going through the OS shutdown procedure. Kernel panic that causes a reboot. That sort of thing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Running down the power. Hard power off without going through the OS shutdown procedure. Kernel panic that causes a reboot. That sort of thing.

Ah got it.

11 seems kinda like a lot?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

My 8gig M1 Mac.
-snip-
Data Units Read: 80,811,470 [41.3 TB]
Data Units Written: 66,062,034 [33.8 TB]
-snip-

My chicken sandwich.. and coffee

And you've had it for how long? That's, um, a lot of Linux ISOs to be downloading..

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Ah got it.

11 seems kinda like a lot?

I know one of those is a kernel panic. The rest are probably times it wouldn't wake up upon me opening the clamshell and having to do a hard reset.

Binary Badger posted:

My chicken sandwich.. and coffee

And you've had it for how long? That's, um, a lot of Linux ISOs to be downloading..

3 months almost to the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Couple of M1 Airs with 16GB RAM on the refurb store now.