Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Jonny 290 posted:

the only delivery that has not gone downhill or been hosed with in any way is god drat Domino's but that's the #1 salt bomb in the world so i rrrrrreally gotta watch it. I can destroy one of their thin crusts in seven minutes
god me too. it's been years since i succumbed but drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i am so tired of food being "cancelled" this has gone too far

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I never order delivery if I'm by myself which is good because one of my local places can get me a pizza in like 20 minutes if it's not prime delivery hours

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Jonny 290 posted:

this burger joint had those loving """"" HaNd CuT friEs """ that they don't double fry, you know, the soggy garbage fries you get with a $17 PUB BURGER. then they put them in a sealed plastic container with the hot burger, which steamed them into a cold mashed potato mess by the time my order got to me 30 minutes late.

i got a "pretzel bacon pub" cheeseburger from wendy's once and it was just the worst

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

rotor posted:

i thought junk food was bad because it had a shitton of salt and preservatives in it

Salt and preservatives aren't inherently bad for you.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Roosevelt posted:

i got a "pretzel bacon pub" cheeseburger from wendy's once and it was just the worst

wendys takes the crown for hosed Up Their Fast Food Chain The Most Since 2010

I want the old double stack and the old fries. i don't care about your $9 brioche bacon cheddar mushroom swiss triple with a bread and butter pickle on it.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

yeah sure ok

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

I want the old double stack and the old fries. i don't care about your $9 brioche bacon cheddar mushroom swiss triple with a bread and butter pickle on it.

Yeah, rebranding as premium fast food was dumb. To my tastebuds a Jr Bacon Cheeseburger tastes exactly the same as it did in 1993 except now it costs 2.4 times as much

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

wendy's seems to be still be pretty good here

also a&w is good here

america keeps loving up their fast food chains

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
actually now that i think about it wendy's did get expensive, but i only ever go there with a coupon so i don't think about it much

Apr 7, 2003

rotor posted:

yeah sure ok

Neither has a calorific value. Salt is only bad for you if you've got heart problems. Preservatives aren't shown in any significant way to have bad health effects.

Calorically dense, low-nutrient foods are what get you. "All the preservaties and salt are bad for me!" is some real panera "clean food" mom poo poo.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Man poo poo was cheap in the 90s, you could get a Jr Bacon Cheeseburger, a biggie fries, and a biggie drink for $2.97. Now a basic cheeseburger is like half that

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

fast food is actually great for americans, who typically do not get enough salt in their diets

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Neither has a calorific value. Salt is only bad for you if you've got heart problems. Preservatives aren't shown in any significant way to have bad health effects.

Calorically dense, low-nutrient foods are what get you. "All the preservaties and salt are bad for me!" is some real panera "clean food" mom poo poo.

mostly agree except salt tastes good so people in general eat more food when it's heavily salted and then drink more to wash down the salt ie soda if they're eating junk food

rotor posted:

fast food is actually great for americans, who typically do not get enough salt in their diets

wait, what?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Cold on a Cob posted:

also a&w is good here

american arby's seems like it's better than canadian arby's tho

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
yeah arby's is dying here from what i've seen

mystes
May 31, 2006

Most salt/preservatives probably aren't (salt isn't if you don't have high blood pressure but that's probably like half of americans) but IIRC the one thing that might be is nitrites, although that's just stuff like bacon (including "uncured" bacon) rather than mcdonalds hamburgers.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

some real panera "clean food" mom poo poo.

much of panera's "clean" food has as much sodium as instant ramen

Apr 7, 2003

qirex posted:

much of panera's "clean" food has as much sodium as instant ramen

My ex-girlfriend back in the day was a 'baker' for Panera and it's all frozen pre-proofed poo poo, they just throw it on a rack and hit a button. Panera's all trash. It's from St. Louis.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

mystes posted:

Most salt/preservatives probably aren't (salt isn't if you don't have high blood pressure but that's probably like half of americans) but IIRC the one thing that might be is nitrites, although that's just stuff like bacon (including "uncured" bacon) rather than mcdonalds hamburgers.

my understanding is it's complicated:

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20190311-what-are-nitrates-in-food-side-effects

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Cold on a Cob posted:

also a&w is good here

that's good news for all four people that live in your country

Apr 7, 2003

mystes posted:

Yeah, those aren't going to be exclusive to poor people fast food trash that's beneath Kayden and Jayden's notice, they'll be in everything including bespoke artisanal charcuterie. It's the cost of eating prepared meats in general.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

My ex-girlfriend back in the day was a 'baker' for Panera and it's all frozen pre-proofed poo poo, they just throw it on a rack and hit a button. Panera's all trash. It's from St. Louis.

yeah my take now is if i want to eat food like this, i'll make it at home and probably buy better stuff anyway

like yesterday i had a cooked-from-frozen steamed pork bun. it was pretty good and cost me like $.50.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

that's good news for all four people that live in your country

3 actually. we voted and sagebrush isn't allowed back

Apr 7, 2003

Panera's original name was The St. Louis Bread Company. lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Cold on a Cob posted:

yeah my take now is if i want to eat food like this, i'll make it at home and probably buy better stuff anyway

like yesterday i had a cooked-from-frozen steamed pork bun. it was pretty good and cost me like $.50.

the fish n chips shop down the street will sell you frozen cornish pasties at a discount, or they will sell you yesterday's leftover cornish pasties at a discount. it's dope

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

It's from St. Louis.

ugh, the pittsburgh of the mississippi

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

the fish n chips shop down the street will sell you frozen cornish pasties at a discount, or they will sell you yesterday's leftover cornish pasties at a discount. it's dope

nice, pasties can reheat really well

mystes
May 31, 2006

Interesting. That is pretty complicated and I'm not sure if it's worth worrying about them even if they might be worse in meat than other stuff.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I order out like 4 times a week because being a parent is hard and time just like, disappears, and I’m extremely ok with eating cold slop just to get food in me. McDonald’s and Taco Bell might not be 100% trash but the things I order from there sure are

edit: and the beyond meat that I buy at the store is a nice alternative because my partner doesn’t eat beef and I’m often too lazy to make my special Turkey burgers (it’s Turkey and some soy sauce and random spices I like, not special at all)

I drink about a gallon of water a day and that offsets the sodium nicely, not much to say about the horrific shits tho

Fart Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 23, 2021

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Cold on a Cob posted:

yeah arby's is dying here from what i've seen
they just don't got what it meats :smith:

Cold on a Cob posted:

3 actually. we voted and sagebrush isn't allowed back
i was the sole dissent but i thought we could make him go to quebec

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

i tried the lightlife burger from harvey's here in canada and it was salty af. it also tasted like (lick's?) grocery store veggie burger i bought in like 2009

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Cold on a Cob posted:

also a&w is good here

i fuckin love A&W onion rings

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
i use doordash for delivery of local indian food every several weeks or so, it isnt cheap but the food is fantastic and is great as leftovers for a few days

i called the place directly to ask whether there was another way for delivery from them which gave them more of a cut, they said "nope, just doorhub/grubdash/whatever, we're happy with those", so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Yeah, agreed. When the food industry managed to rebrand their industrial waste as 'vegetable oil' that was 'health healthy' and jammed it into every single food as it's cheaper than animal fats is when fast food (and a lot of restaurant & supermarket food) went to poo poo.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Lysidas posted:

i called the place directly to ask whether there was another way for delivery from them which gave them more of a cut, they said "nope, just doorhub/grubdash/whatever, we're happy with those", so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
you were probably talking to a grubhub employee

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

there exist people for whom salt isn't an issue, but generally americans eat way too much salt and that's just facts and if tori wants to make it about the class struggle he can take it up with the fuckin fda

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

rotor posted:

i fuckin love A&W onion rings

thank you for reminding me i have onion rings in my freezer

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

qirex posted:

you were probably talking to a grubhub employee