Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Hobo Clown posted:

Yo Gabba Gabba on the TV was possibly foreshadowing to when they introduce The Aquabats into the MCU

Yeeees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The zombie virus was also introduced into that world by an alternate dimension-travelling Sentry, who was meant to be strongly implied to actually be a zombie Superman but they couldn't make it subtle enough.

And if I remember correctly, (spoilers for a 10+ year old comic series?)

The "solution" to keep the Marvel Zombies from infecting a "safe" universe was for The Watchers to send an infected-Sentry to the universe the zombies came from, as a self-fulfilling time/cross-dimensional loop sort of thing. Breaking their rule to "only watch" (that they loving break all the time) because if the Zombies got into every universe and ate everything, there wouldn't be anything to watch.

As far as Vision getting infected, it's clear that it's not a "regular" zombie virus/disease like Walking Dead or Day/Dawn of the Dead or even a 28 Days later style virus. It's a weird super-natural infection that can make anything that has pi]some[i] sort of "living tissue" a zombie-type creature.

The heroes that become zombies also have MOST of their original powers, and most of their intelligence/reasoning, with the exception that they have an almost unrelenting* desire to feed on other living tissue.

*At one point it's revealed that if a zombie waits long enough (weeks? months?) the desire DOES go away and they become rational beings who no longer need to feed, though I think there's still a LITTLE bit of that desire so it still takes some willpower. Like the comics showed that a zombie-fied Black Panther had enough willpower to no longer feed, and I think Spider-Man too, but I think the Hulk still wanted to eat? It's also confusing because a group of like 6 heroes also eat Silver Surfer and Galactus and gain the Power Cosmic, and in addition to being Zombies, they also have whatever Galactus has that compels him to eat worlds, and they become the NEW Galactus, after a fashion.

And there were a few minor infections from the Zombies into the "main" 616 universe, but they did find some sort of cure/cures and stop it from spreading. Some people are immune (if they are 100% a robot, like Ultron) or have MASSIVE power (I think The Aquarian was immune because he could "hibernate" with the Cosmic Cube power and purge himself?)

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 23, 2021

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Baseless WandaVision speculation regarding Agatha's "villain" status: I wonder if she just happened to be passing through (or living in) Westview when Wanda started wild-hexing the town during her mental breakdown, and decided to user her own magic to guide Wanda through her grieving process. As the sitcoms transition from happy, sanitized, idealized dream worlds to more messy and realistic frameworks, Wanda will slowly work her way through and come to her own "reality" as well. This might also save the citizens of Westview who would have otherwise been trapped in a doom and gloom scenario.

"Agatha All Along" is therefore true, just not exactly as presented. Much like everything else that's going on here.

Didn't have to kill the dog tho :mad:

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Hobo Clown posted:

Yo Gabba Gabba on the TV was possibly foreshadowing to when they introduce The Aquabats into the MCU

Mark Motherbaugh is an IRL superhero of music and no one will convince me otherwise.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

The_Doctor posted:

For some reason I didn't expect so much of the costume to be real.

https://i.imgur.com/NBXUAPJ.mp4

There are some interviews when he’s talked about the costume and how long it takes.

The first time he got fitted for it, they tried to do everything, even the back of his head with makeup instead of premade costume pieces. It took 8 hours. So they moved to making much more of it a costume and only doing makeup on the face and blending the pieces. It still takes 2-3 hours on and 1 hour off.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Mooseontheloose posted:

I assume that Banner's thought was everyone who was directly killed or taken away by the blip is brought back safely and closely as possible to their old lives.

There's a conversation right before Hulk snaps where he says "Bring them all back, safely", so his snap put all of the people in safe places, not in the middle of the sky.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

The X-man cometh posted:

There's a conversation right before Hulk snaps where he says "Bring them all back, safely", so his snap put all of the people in safe places, not in the middle of the sky.

Or did it give a whole bunch of people superpowers so they could fly/survive such a fall... :tinfoil:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
In the MCU, why does nobody wish that using the Infinity Stones doesn't kill you?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Why don't they wish for more infinity stones??

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Infinity infinity stones, the name is right there

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Speculation for this week's episode.

First, that it will be Agatha's backstory. NotPietro is Nicolas, her son. He fights Monica and we really get to see what she does. It becomes clear that Wanda can't beat Agatha and somehow Vision is not able to stop Agatha either but Monica tips the scale and Vision is then able to free Wanda for a big fight in the last episode.Wanda defeats her for a resolution to the story but Nightmare escapes (maybe unseen)

I think the tone of the series will remain light. There's no reason to go to full on horror for the last two episodes.

They better start the episode with an "Agatha's Family" version of the Adam's Family theme, complete with finger snaps, with Agatha, NotPietro, the twins and a transfixed Wanda.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Darth Brooks posted:

Speculation for this week's episode.

First, that it will be Agatha's backstory. NotPietro is Nicolas, her son. He fights Monica and we really get to see what she does. It becomes clear that Wanda can't beat Agatha and somehow Vision is not able to stop Agatha either but Monica tips the scale and Vision is then able to free Wanda for a big fight in the last episode.Wanda defeats her for a resolution to the story but Nightmare escapes (maybe unseen)

I think the tone of the series will remain light. There's no reason to go to full on horror for the last two episodes.

They better start the episode with an "Agatha's Family" version of the Adam's Family theme, complete with finger snaps, with Agatha, NotPietro, the twins and a transfixed Wanda.

The kids seem to have been conjured into existence from nothing and are the only characters who have been confirmed to be conjured from nothing, but couldn't it be possible that Pietro was just conjured from nothing as well and he doesn't have to actually "be" somebody?

Edit: And from an outside the show perspective, it would be a way to have Evan Peters show up without actually requiring him to be in the MCU permanently. (Both because they always kill off or severely reduce the power of Quicksilver to not break the movies and because they would either have to explain why he is gone or why he is there again to everyone.)

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 23, 2021

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

In a continuation of last week it's gonna turn out Agatha was behind everything in the MCU.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The TomSka genie sketch, but with the stones instead.

"And I… wish I had AIDS."

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Electric Phantasm posted:

In a continuation of last week it's gonna turn out Agatha was behind everything in the MCU.

Checks out so far

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I know that magic* is real in the MCU, but Agatha's magic is specifically like Wanda's magic and not the "normal" magic from Doctor Strange.

*Note: Not actually magic, but technically biological science that pulls energy from alternate dimensions, blah, blah, and is literally magic in every way.

Since Wanda got her powers from an infinity stone, then how could Agnes have identical powers/witches be real before ~2012 or so when Hydra got the mind stone?

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

One of the reveals from House of M was that Wanda’s Chaos Magic wasn’t actually a thing, and she was always doing real magic extremely recklessly.

At least that’s how I remember Strange putting it. No reason they couldn’t do that in the MCU given what we know.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Both Daredevil and Skye/Daisy/Quake/Mary Sue Poots went there so I choose to believe this and that Quake will get her own film.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
We should just have actual magic and not the weird "This is actually highly advanced science" I forget why they went with that; iirc had to do with something about China having restrictions with things involving supernatural or not wanting to be compared to Harry Potter or some poo poo

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

achillesforever6 posted:

We should just have actual magic and not the weird "This is actually highly advanced science" I forget why they went with that; iirc had to do with something about China having restrictions with things involving supernatural or not wanting to be compared to Harry Potter or some poo poo

I thought it was because they wanted to justify Thor without getting into too much weirdness early on. Pretty silly now but a lot of superhero films downplayed their space opera and fantasy elements back then.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yeah, even Thor leaned more into the supernatural magic elements with Ragnarok with Hela and Thor both having control over rather elementary constructs rather than using technology in some way. Personally, I'm still hoping Hela comes back at some point given she's death incarnate because she was never really beaten as such and she was both entertaining and just a good villain all round for Thor. She challenged him both physically and emotionally, even if he's walked away from the throne now.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I know that magic* is real in the MCU, but Agatha's magic is specifically like Wanda's magic and not the "normal" magic from Doctor Strange.

*Note: Not actually magic, but technically biological science that pulls energy from alternate dimensions, blah, blah, and is literally magic in every way.

Since Wanda got her powers from an infinity stone, then how could Agnes have identical powers/witches be real before ~2012 or so when Hydra got the mind stone?

Magic, duh.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

achillesforever6 posted:

We do have actual Magic.

They started with Thor's,
"Well, our magic is just fancy technology, and Asgard isn't a realm, per se, it's more like a small planet" for the first couple of his movies because at first, it seemed like the MCU wanted to be slightly more grounded. Probably trying to ape the most recent batman films that were also trying to be more realistic.

But Dr.Strange put actual magic into the MCU, and I think they've also quasi-retconned that yes, some of what we see in Asgard/the Thor movies are MAGIC-magic, too.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Loki and Frigga used magic-magic at least.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Electric Phantasm posted:

We see Agatha babysitting a small, purple-skinned toddler.
"Hey kiddo, don't you think it's awfully crowded around here?"
Agatha stares into the camera and winks.

Tony Stark leaves JARVIS running to examine Loki's scepter.
We see a hand flip a switch, and a screen reads "Firewall Disabled"
Agatha stares into the camera and makes a shhhhh gesture.

A laser spectroscope fires a beam into space, and we see a woman's hand adjusting the dials.
An anthropomorphic duck in a recliner falls from the sky.
Agatha looks confused, checks her notes, shrugs.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Barry Convex posted:

not a huge nitpick, but how exactly did Darcy know the details about how Vision died, given that no one is present in that scene in Infinity War besides Wanda, Vision, and Thanos? I guess Wanda was just debriefed by SWORD at some point in the window between Endgame and her stealing Vision's corpse?

This question keeps coming up, and for pete's sake, people, the survivors of the battle in Wakanda would have briefed what remained of the world's governments at some point. There was probably a Kennedy Assassination/9-11 style commission to generate a complete reporting.

enki42 posted:

Is the hex not being created by Agatha solidly confirmed? All we have is her changing into her 50's outfit in a scene where the hex had already been created, but there's nothing to say that's actually her first interaction with the town, the hex, or Wanda.

Doesn't really explain why all of her actions so far have contributed to destablizing the hex (making Vision aware of the nature of the hex / his past), but I don't think we know enough to say anything solid about how the hex was created or why yet.

I still think the likeliest scenario is that Wanda created it, but was given the power to / pushed to do it by someone, and I think Agatha being that person is the likeliest explanation. In terms of why she's destablizing it now, maybe the point is to push Wanda to a breaking point somehow, to get her to do something for her?

My favorite of the theories, given Agnes/Agatha's extreme interest when the twins asked Wanda to bring the dog back to life, is that Agatha wants to get Wanda to bring someone back for her. Likely who/whatever "Ralph" is.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

DrBouvenstein posted:

We do have actual Magic.

They started with Thor's,
"Well, our magic is just fancy technology, and Asgard isn't a realm, per se, it's more like a small planet" for the first couple of his movies because at first, it seemed like the MCU wanted to be slightly more grounded. Probably trying to ape the most recent batman films that were also trying to be more realistic.

But Dr.Strange put actual magic into the MCU, and I think they've also quasi-retconned that yes, some of what we see in Asgard/the Thor movies are MAGIC-magic, too.

Yeah, they started Thor talking about Loki's "tricks" and "illusions" and going on about advanced technology.

But, shortly before Doctor Strange, they just started outright saying Loki "cast spells" and had "powerful magic."

They basically went, "We never explicitly said there wasn't magic! It's actually always been magic."

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Yeah, they started Thor talking about Loki's "tricks" and "illusions" and going on about advanced technology.

But, shortly before Doctor Strange, they just started outright saying Loki "cast spells" and had "powerful magic."

They basically went, "We never explicitly said there wasn't magic! It's actually always been magic."

Didn't they also say in Thor 1, that he comes from a place where science and magic are one in the same?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I interpret the MCU's handling of magic as a big lampshade. Every once and awhile someone will go "well its energies drawn from another dimension through sciences not fully understood by humans..." but then a wizard laughs at them and does magic and they move on.

I admit a lot of that comes from Agents of SHIELD where it just kind of became a running gag for the nerd to try and come up with a convoluted rational scientific explanation when a hell demon kills some ghosts. But I felt like that was how they basically handled it in Doctor Strange too where Strange himself is kind of all "so its a science and blah blah" until the wizards just dismiss and mock him.

So basically I hope WandaVision ends with Darcy coming up with a long, nonsensical, sciencey explanation for what happened and then Wong shows up and laughs at her before taking back his book.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 24, 2021

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Vision gets jacked on energy drinks and uses frightening lasers to vaporize the antagonist.

The energy drinks send him into overdrive and he does THINGS. Big budget things. While “Intergalactic” by the Beastie Boys plays.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

McSpanky posted:

It really isn't worth thinking about Thanos' plan realistically, because realistically wiping out half of all life on Earth and then bringing it back five years later wouldn't be the mild-to-moderate inconvenience the MCU portrays, it would be an extinction-level event that humanity would be lucky to survive with some fraction of post-industrial civilization intact.

While hugely disruptive, halving the world population would bring it back to 1960’s level. The sudden disappearance of half the world population could shatter society, but they also bounced back from an alien invasion like it was nothing.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

ghostwritingduck posted:

While hugely disruptive, halving the world population would bring it back to 1960’s level. The sudden disappearance of half the world population could shatter society, but they also bounced back from an alien invasion like it was nothing.

Maybe Stark finally shared his unlimited energy.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Comrade Fakename posted:

Yeah, it’s this one.

Anyway, I think I might be in love with the Agatha All Along song. I’ve watched it loads since Friday - it’s Katherine Hahn’s hilarious mugging to the camera that makes it. A cackling witch is absolutely the role she was born to play.

In fact, I noticed recently that Disney is currently making Hocus Pocus 2, and they should 100% cast Hahn in that as Agatha, and retroactively put the entire Hocus Pocus franchise into the MCU. Totally serious.

God yes. A cameo by Hahn would be wonderful.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Zil posted:

Didn't they also say in Thor 1, that he comes from a place where science and magic are one in the same?
I think that was Thor 2

Dr. Strange in the Avengers was more magical than his own movie (like his fight with Thanos)

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Zil posted:

In retrospect, that might say a lot more about their technology than it does about their magic.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Strange also had more time to train between the movies and didn't need to be carried hard by his cloak

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Splash Attack posted:

i don’t think agatha is the big bad because her reveal, while amazing, seemed deliberately over the top. and if sword isn’t watching the broadcast, who is , and is agatha putting on a performance for them?

i mean, i’m not saying that she’s a good guy putting on a act, because it’s clear she’s had a hand in stirring things up in wanda’s reality. but a friend of mine pointed out that she’s always been the type of character with her own agenda instead of being unambiguously good.

i could be wrong because i was hoping haywood wouldn’t be become Antagonistic Military Guy because of how much of a trope that was, but unless they do a dramatic reveal in the last two episodes, that’s what he is.

So, just looking back at the stuff that Agatha was behind a couple of moments stood out in terms of what happened.

She killed Sparky. That caused Wanda to give the speech about death and rules to the twins that Wanda herself desperately needed to hear.

She brought in "Pietro." Pietro has spent his time acting in a self-indulgent, irresponsible manner. And then he tells Wanda how he greatly approves of what she's done and how she's tried to be so ethical in the way that she's enslaved an entire town.

Recall the bit with Sparky's death when Agatha asks Wanda if they should do another take - reminding Wanda again about how artificial her little "heaven" is.

Taking a bit from The Mandalorian, figure where Agatha is concerned, "Assume she knows everything." She knows Billy is connected to his father and will sense Vision is in trouble. So, she sets things up where the only real way Wanda can save Vision is by expanding the Hex. Expanding (and maintaining) the Hex is physically and mentally draining for Wanda, stretching her to her limits - which is why her "magic" is glitching. Wanda has been stretched to the breaking point.

Beyond that, consider the lyrics of the "Agatha All Along" song:

quote:

Who's been messing up everything?
It's been Agatha all along
Who's been pulling every evil string?
It's been Agatha all along
She's insidious (Ha, ha!)
So perfidious
That you haven't even noticed

What has Agatha been messing up? Wanda's control and contentment within the Hex.
What "evil strings" has she been pulling? Strings that push Wanda into recognizing what she's actually been doing.

So, to whom is Agatha the villain? To Wanda and any one else with some interest in seeing the Hex continue as is.

As far as Agatha interfering to keep Monica and Vision away from Wanda, I don't think she wants to stop them so much as delay them.

They're two super-powered individuals. There's a strong possibility that them encountering Wanda result in a town-leveling superfight which just confirms to Wanda that she's right. I think that's another reason she pushed Wanda into expanding the Hex - she wanted to remove SWORD from the equation. I think Agatha believes/realizes that the only way to undo this is to allow the internal pressures within Wanda to undo her.

Agatha isn't planning a magic conquest or demon invasions.

Agatha is planning an intervention.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Tars Tarkas posted:

Michelle was in New York running a fashion empire (aka a real life reference to the twins) and the characters would stare at the camera when they mentioned this or the Elizabeth & James clothing line. They talk directly to the camera about her in a Thanksgiving episode too. She never appeared in 5 seasons but they did call her voice mail while drunk and her voice wasn't heard. Can't remember any other references but I didn't watch the whole series just read summaries of a lot of it, so I don't know if they mention her in the triple wedding finale (some of the actors who played her friends on the original show are in that one) but by then Aunt Becky was also kicked off the show so lol. The producers/actors have some quotes that seem sort of rude in the press which was weird and probably burnt bridges beyond whatever else was going on, and even tried to get Elizabeth Olsen to play the part. Girl Meets World pulled off the superior sequel series.
Thank you.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

What if the cameo actor that Paul Bettany has "wanted to work with his entire life", has "...many scenes together" and had "fireworks of chemistry" with was Paul Bettany as a second Vision built by Hayward

:thunkin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radlum
May 13, 2013

BurritoJustice posted:

What if the cameo actor that Paul Bettany has "wanted to work with his entire life", has "...many scenes together" and had "fireworks of chemistry" with was Paul Bettany as a second Vision built by Hayward

:thunkin:

If all the build up was for him acting againts himself, then I would actually love it. I couldn't get mad at him for that