Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Schwarzwald posted:

I think you'll find that it was the crew of a Klingon ship that brought the whales back, and the one Starfleet admiral that was aboard got demoted for his involvement.

I think YOU'LL find that that demotion was for an earlier unrelated incident and the Federation Council dismissed a rather large bevy of other criminal charges against him and his crew SPECIFICALLY for resurrecting the whales using time travel! There could be no clearer proof of Starfleet's Pro-Whale policies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

MadDogMike posted:

Easy, kill them myself, then they can't do it themselves. Boy, indiscriminate murder is really good at solving test situations in Starfleet!

I'm starting to think the real reason for these tests is to weed out the edgelords.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm starting to think the real reason for these tests is to weed out the edgelords.

I came into this thread thinking "The KM is not super important but probably has uses for seeing how commanders react to getting hosed" and am going to leave this thread thinking "the KM is the most important part of starfleet training."

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I mean you can't eat whales if they're extinct so of course you want to steal some from the past.

I am Nwabudike Morgan and I approve this message

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Do the Cetacean members of starfleet have their own kobayashi maru scenario?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Trabisnikof posted:

They have to fight a whaling ship without Bird of Prey backup

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

u brexit ukip it posted:

I mean you can't eat whales if they're extinct so of course you want to steal some from the past.

I am Nwabudike Morgan and I approve this message

Head on down to the Restaurant Enterprise for their grayfish special!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpPgavT5am4

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Trabisnikof posted:

They have to maintain their dignity at Sea World

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tulip posted:

I came into this thread thinking "The KM is not super important but probably has uses for seeing how commanders react to getting hosed" and am going to leave this thread thinking "the KM is the most important part of starfleet training."

While the KM technically has no grade and no fail condition, the instructors probably elect to perform some additional assessment on anyone who examines all the factors involved and decides to blow up the Maru themselves.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

McSpanky posted:

While the KM technically has no grade and no fail condition, the instructors probably elect to perform some additional assessment on anyone who examines all the factors involved and decides to blow up the Maru themselves.

"Welcome to the Admiralty!"

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Barudak posted:

"Welcome to the Admiralty!"

I bet Janeway destroyed it after she found out it had the key to getting home without anyone dieing.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Janeway would've ignored it until her science officer told her the Kobayashi Maru's cargo was coffee.

Then? Ramming speed.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Theres a toy store by me called Kobayashi and I like to imagine it contains really messed up toys. Im sorry Harigai-san, only the booster packs you do not buy contain holo-foil blue eyes white dragons.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

I kind of wonder if Starfleet would use the Valiant from DS9 as the basis of a training scenario. Just put them in the shoes of Ensign Nog and say 'your job is to stop these morons from getting themselves killed'.

The captain of the Valiant died when his chair exploded and blew up his rear end

Everyone else on the bridge died from rock related console explosions

God drat star trek has always been stupid

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Regarde Aduck posted:

Knowing a ship's shield frequency either lets you 100% penetrate that shield with ease (Federation) or block all shots from ever penetrating with minimal power loss (Borg)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Regarde Aduck posted:

The captain of the Valiant died when his chair exploded and blew up his rear end

Everyone else on the bridge died from rock related console explosions

True, but what's your point?

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 23, 2021

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
IMO it's okay to have the bridge start to blow up if the ship's really getting the poo poo kicked out of it. It can be an exciting visual shorthand for expressing the danger the ship is in. My big thing would be that, especially with modern budgets, those should be accompanied by scenes like the torpedo bay exploding into a fiery hell in The Wrath of Khan.

TNG was usually pretty good about it, it was DS9 where they started going overboard with it by apparently having the Defiant's shields channel energy into O'Brien's shoulder.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

TNG was usually pretty good about it, it was DS9 where they started going overboard with it by apparently having the Defiant's shields channel energy into O'Brien's shoulder.

Definitely by design (O'Brien must suffer)

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Knowing a ship's shield frequency either lets you 100% penetrate that shield with ease (Federation) or block all shots from ever penetrating with minimal power loss (Borg)

Isn't it knowing phaser frequency=>free block, knowing shield frequency=>skip shield? That seems to make reasonable sci-fi sense. If you know what exactly their shooting you can block it easily, and if you know how exactly their blocking you can bypass it.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Foxfire_ posted:

Isn't it knowing phaser frequency=>free block, knowing shield frequency=>skip shield? That seems to make reasonable sci-fi sense. If you know what exactly their shooting you can block it easily, and if you know how exactly their blocking you can bypass it.

That was my understanding, but I'm not up to anything past Voyager tbqh.

Did Enterprise, Discovery, or Picard change this?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
why wouldn’t you just constantly vary shield frequency then

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

indigi posted:

Gotta stop your shields blocking your own phasers too!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Tenebrais posted:

Gotta stop your shields blocking your own phasers too!

if they could shoot through their propellers in WW1 I think starfleet can figure it out

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

indigi posted:

Well obviously the strain on the telephasic conduits would cause a neutron disruption in the plasma phase variance, you imbecile. Do you want to deal with cascading hyperproton charge interference in your positronic field containment core every 163.7 seconds? In this economy?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 273 days!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

IMO it's okay to have the bridge start to blow up if the ship's really getting the poo poo kicked out of it. It can be an exciting visual shorthand for expressing the danger the ship is in. My big thing would be that, especially with modern budgets, those should be accompanied by scenes like the torpedo bay exploding into a fiery hell in The Wrath of Khan.

o'brien is secretly like 4x more durable than a neutron star so it's an efficient design

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
I vote for the O’Brien test. O’Brien sits with a group of cadets in a Pub, drinking and telling them stories of all the hosed things that have happened to him.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Everyone always shits on Harry Kim for being a quantum clone but never on O'Brien for being a time clone, really makes you think

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Wtf is a quantum clone

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Harry dies but gets replaced by another Harry from parallel reality at the end of the episode, but I don't remember if they used those words exactly but the episode was a stab at quantum physics multiverse theory iirc

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

so that other universe is still without their Harry. smh

Barudak
May 7, 2007

indigi posted:

so that other universe is still without their Harry. smh

Nah that universe had a regular clone of Harry. Having two was making it unstable as the universe couldn't decide which one to poo poo on from a great height first

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
He came in from the Harry Kim universe, where everyone is Harry Kim. and nobody ever gets to direct

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Angepain posted:

He came in from the Harry Kim universe, where everyone is Harry Kim. and nobody ever gets to direct

but enough about my Voyager erotic fan fiction

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
in the Star Trek anthology story collection the trouble with the o’tribbles it is implied that the guy manning the holodeck controls for the kobayahsi Maru at starfleet academy sneaks off early on a Friday and accidentally leaves a young cadet O’Brien getting batleths installed in his rear end in a top hat for an entire long weekend

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kirk posted:

in the Star Trek anthology story collection the trouble with the o’tribbles it is implied that the guy manning the holodeck controls for the kobayahsi Maru at starfleet academy sneaks off early on a Friday and accidentally leaves a young cadet O’Brien getting batleths installed in his rear end in a top hat for an entire long weekend

MilesO_Brien.txt

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Kirk posted:

you have no idea what a balm it is to see kirkposting

Huttan
May 15, 2013

Who What Now posted:

I don't understand how "Leave them, one ship isn't worth a war or even worth unnecessarily putting your crew in danger" isn't Star Fleet's protocol.

Somehow, the folks in charge of StarFleet need to know who the really loose cannons and crazy "kill them all, God knows her own" type are located. Somehow they need to figure out who is safe enough to let near aliens and who should be assigned to Section 31.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Otherwise they'd probably be like the USCG when "asking" graduating recruits where they'd like to be stationed:

quote:

I want to go to California!
You're going to Alabama!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBtJet6kmZ0&t=1044s

Our own historical records show that neutral zones (or DMZs, whatever the difference is) are fraught with trouble:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_axe_murder_incident

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

McSpanky posted:

The aforementioned Chekov scenario in the Kobayashi Maru novel had the proctors take Chekov aside after blowing up the Maru.

Then they had to do it again when his solution to a game of Mafia-but-with-phasers was "If I kill everyone, then I win!"

It was actually a pretty good little book.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

multijoe posted:

Everyone always shits on Harry Kim for being a quantum clone but never on O'Brien for being a time clone, really makes you think

O’Brien is cloned and watches himself die like twice during the run of ds9. I think two clonings cancel each other out to equal zero clonings. Basic clone math.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

multijoe posted:

Harry dies but gets replaced by another Harry from parallel reality at the end of the episode, but I don't remember if they used those words exactly but the episode was a stab at quantum physics multiverse theory iirc

Voyager flew by/through a negative space wedgie that ended up causing the ship and its entire crew to be duplicated, with both ships existing in the same space but out of phase with one another; neither version of Voyager realized what happened when it occurred. But the process didn't duplicate the anti-matter in the warp core because [technobabble], so to try and fix the sudden drain on their power supply, both Voyagers got the same idea to do [technobabble] that resulted in one copy of the ship getting its poo poo wrecked (because they didn't realize the whole cloning-out-of-phase thing yet), causing the deaths of that Voyager's Harry Kim and Samantha Wildman's baby. They eventually managed to make contact with the other Voyager that they were out of phase with, and made plans to evacuate the crew from beat-up Voyager to the Voyager that was still in good shape when the Vidiians attacked. Captain Kathy from the ship in good shape (which is the one the Vidiians are attacking because they don't see the other Voyager that's currently out of phase) sends her Harry Kim over to the beat-up Voyager with baby Naomi Wildman, then self-destructs the Voyager that's still in good shape to kill the Vidiians and prevent both Voyagers' crews' organs from being harvested.