Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

elf help book posted:

gently caress Pikmin, Marry Mario, Kill Assassins Creed

That sounds like a good plan. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

American McGay posted:

Yeah because it exclusively features School II, the best level in THPS history.

This is gonna sound hosed up, I know. But playing through 1+2 over and over, I've started thinking School 1 is better than School 2.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

elf help book posted:

This is gonna sound hosed up, I know. But playing through 1+2 over and over, I've started thinking School 1 is better than School 2.

I’m the guy who loves the downhill levels and wishes they made more.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i didn't especially like either school tbh

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

romanowski posted:

spiders are our friends

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Cartoon Man posted:

:stonk:

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

elf help book posted:

hosed up

Cartoon Man posted:

fuckeder up

Super No Vacancy posted:

i didn't especially like either school tbh

fuckedest up

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
So will they be called Tony Hawk .75 and 1.75 on the Switch? Or will they just port the original games because the switch can't actually run the remasters?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The Switch can run anything next gen as long as you enable dynamic resolution scaling with a range from 400p-720p

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The base Xbox One runs it at 900p60 so yeah the resolution is going to be Not Great on the Switch if they keep it at 60fps

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde
Any recommendations for competitive (no co-op) local multiplayer games? During the pandemic my dad and me have been playing a lot of split screen Mario Kart and are now looking for something else to play. Needs to be as simple to pick up and play as he doesn't get on too well with games that use a lot of controller buttons.

Would Super Smash Bros be suitable?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Stupid Decisions posted:

Any recommendations for competitive (no co-op) local multiplayer games? During the pandemic my dad and me have been playing a lot of split screen Mario Kart and are now looking for something else to play. Needs to be as simple to pick up and play as he doesn't get on too well with games that use a lot of controller buttons.

Smash is a superb game, but if you want something a little simpler and easier to pick I'd really recommend Duck Game. It's a similar concept to Smash but with simpler arcadey controls and combat with guns you pick up across the stage like an old arena shooter. All weapons are one hit kills so the game cycles through rounds extremely rapidly over a huge range of levels. After my old Smash group started to disintergrate due to the increasing disparity in our skill levels we switched to this and it was a great leveller, it much easier to get a baseline level of competence in and it can be a very funny game which naturally generates moments of extremely good slapstick when you end up slipping on a banana peel and braining yourself on the rock you were about to throw or you win around by being shot with a net gun and then landing on your opponent and squashing them whilst you're tied up. If you want something with a low skill floor, high skill ceiling which can be really fun to play with non-gamers I really cannot recommend it highly enough

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

OMG YESSSSSSSSS my patience has been rewarded!! My amount of time on the toilet is going UP UP UP

I do not have a gaming computer, my most recent console is the switch. Second most recent is the Wii U, then 360.

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde

multijoe posted:

Smash is a superb game, but if you want something a little simpler and easier to pick I'd really recommend Duck Game. It's a similar concept to Smash but with simpler arcadey controls and combat with guns you pick up across the stage like an old arena shooter. All weapons are one hit kills so the game cycles through rounds extremely rapidly over a huge range of levels. After my old Smash group started to disintergrate due to the increasing disparity in our skill levels we switched to this and it was a great leveller, it much easier to get a baseline level of competence in and it can be a very funny game which naturally generates moments of extremely good slapstick when you end up slipping on a banana peel and braining yourself on the rock you were about to throw or you win around by being shot with a net gun and then landing on your opponent and squashing them whilst you're tied up. If you want something with a low skill floor, high skill ceiling which can be really fun to play with non-gamers I really cannot recommend it highly enough

Never heard of Duck Game before but watched a couple of videos and this seems like a good idea to try. It's also a lot cheaper than Smash which helps if we don't take to it.

Thanks for the recommendation.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stupid Decisions posted:

Runbow

Ultimate Chicken Horse

Both cheap and very good

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Yikes, it'd have been cool to know that Pokemon Let's Go doesn't even support a normal gamepad before nabbing it, you're either forced to go handheld or use a joycon one handed like a clumsy pokeball throwing buffoon.

Kind of goes against the lazy couch gaming vibe I got going with my Switch if I have to do anything remotely physical. :v:

Guess I gotta figure how a game might support controllers before buying them now too.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

If it helps, handheld mode just uses the gyro for aiming, and you press A to throw a ball.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I can't believe I had to look up how to beat Shittier Boo Mansion, how the gently caress is anyone supposed to figure that out?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Y'all talking about low resolution for THPS when y'all either played 1 on N64 or PS1 (though 2 on the Dreamcast was the :smug: choice)

Motherfuckers, I remember skating by the pools in Marseilles and watching the graffiti actually move and smear because it was just too much for the console to keep the textures in place.

THPS has always been about the gameplay.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 23, 2021

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Brawlhalla is a decent freemium smash clone, and UNLIKE SOME GAMES it has rayman and shovel knight as playable characters. Also a bunch of people from the walking dead for some reason

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

THPS has always been about the gameplay.

And the music.

I'm actually kinda jonesin' for this remake, but I dunno if I'll go for it on the Switch. I've got enough of a backlog that I can wait and see.

Haven't even touched Bowser's Fury and the game it came with yet. Nor Raging Loop, for that matter.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Deakul posted:

Yikes, it'd have been cool to know that Pokemon Let's Go doesn't even support a normal gamepad before nabbing it, you're either forced to go handheld or use a joycon one handed like a clumsy pokeball throwing buffoon.

Kind of goes against the lazy couch gaming vibe I got going with my Switch if I have to do anything remotely physical. :v:

Guess I gotta figure how a game might support controllers before buying them now too.

That's the only game that does that

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Twelve by Pies posted:

I also want to thank whatever goon said that the slots in 3D World were a rhythm game, it immediately clicked for me when I read that and now I can consistently get 4 cherries every time for a sweet 777 coins.

Lives are pretty pointless. You're rewarded for losing all your lives for having all the toad houses regenerate, which are kind of pointless because you can scan amiibo for power ups. I don't even think there is a halfway flag in Championship Road where you would need extra lives.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

John Wick of Dogs posted:

ehhh

Mario Party

and 12Switch but lol

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

false

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Stupid Decisions posted:

Smash is a great intro fighting game because the controls and mechanics are very simple. Still whichever of you has the better reflexes will quickly outclass the other. It's not cheap, but it'll keep you busy for a long long time.

Mario Tennis Aces is also a very good competitive game. If you could get that cheaper it could be a very good time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I never owned THPS but I played the demo a shitload. I'm not sure if I should ruin the magic and play the real game or not

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I LOVED those games back in the day, I bought the remaster and put it down after 15 minutes and never played it again. I just couldn’t get back into it. :shrug:

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Thank you Tony hawk please make sure it runs well in hand held mode thank you sir

Is it the pro controller or the 8 bit do one that had the good dpad? This is critically important for my extremely pro level Tony hawk skills.

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 23, 2021

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

exclusive preview of the soundtrack for the switch version of Tony Hawk remastered

https://youtu.be/Tu1KM9HMpso

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Len posted:

I never owned THPS but I played the demo a shitload. I'm not sure if I should ruin the magic and play the real game or not

THPS 1 + 2 feel very good to play. They feel like how I remember the games playing even if they aren't really how the games played then.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

MechaSeinfeld posted:

exclusive preview of the soundtrack for the switch version of Tony Hawk remastered

this sounds like my walkman that i used to wear when i was a SK8R T33N so you know what i am okay with this

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
THPS3 for the Gamecube was the one I played the hell out of, so I’m super psyched to try 1 and 2 when they come out.

Also Gnosia might be coming out this week which is a game I’ve been psyched about since they showed it off in an
indie world last year.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

MechaSeinfeld posted:

AND DON'T FORGET THE JOKER

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

That's the news I've been waiting to hear about the Tony Hawk remaster! Bringing back those PS1 glory days.

With that, Mario Golf and maybe picking up a cheap copy of Fifa 18 for the world cup content (sadly that seems like the best Fifa we're getting) I'll have enough sports games for a long time.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

put donkey kong in tony hawk

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Augus posted:

put donkey kong in tony hawk

could be difficult, he's not a large man

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

SMB3D is a great co-op w/ girlfriend game. Right up there with Clubhouse games and Castle Crashers. Except the Toad levels. Two people messing with the camera angle aint good.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dabir posted:

could be difficult, he's not a large man

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

You should be against spider caves then because they're about killing them!!

:hmmyes: