Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Namtab posted:

Imagine watching a dub lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Dubs are cool

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

most dubs are fine but there's very little reason to specifically seek most of them out over the jp, which is usually out first, has VAs that are more closely informed of the source material, and dont have weirdness when songs exist

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i enjoyed the AoT dub but it was also literally 3 seasons of nobody being able to pronounce Mikasa

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I've only seen P&SwG in Japanese because that's what Crunchy has. I should get around to the dub eventually.

G Gundam dub is dope.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
drat zombie land saga is gay - and that's great

https://twitter.com/zombielandsaga/status/1091260189326508035

what's our favorite gay anime

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 23, 2021

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like akanesasu shoujo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like kannazuki no miko

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

dogsicle posted:

i enjoyed the AoT dub but it was also literally 3 seasons of nobody being able to pronounce Mikasa

anemoneh

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

also the favorite gay anime is given

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Erg posted:

also the favorite gay anime is given

I thought given was just ok

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Endorph posted:

most dubs are fine but there's very little reason to specifically seek most of them out over the jp, which is usually out first, has VAs that are more closely informed of the source material, and dont have weirdness when songs exist

I've watched so much anime on CR that is Japanese dub by default at this point that the only shows I bother watching in English now are the stuff from my era; the late 90's. :corsair:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I enjoy Symphogear. :peanut:

Namtab posted:

I will make an exception for my central America brothers and their dub of dbz which i understand was a cultural landmark
People loving wept when the singer for the dub OP's died recently.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The P&S dub seemed like they had alot of fun making it but I didn't see any reason to watch it again when the JP is fine the way it is.

I watched the show twice because both the dub and sub were very good

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

sk8 the infinity is my new favorite gay anime. :cheersdoge:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
dubs are insanely good and I will wait on them if I know they're coming

Chicken Thumbs
Oct 21, 2020

Time is dead and meaning has no meaning!
Best dub is Cromartie High School and it isn't even close.
https://youtu.be/1q5N9QqOYxM

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Still waiting for BLuRay's to have the option to play both audio tracks at the same time drat it

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

i'm sorry for spamming so much zls poo poo. i'm just too loving PUMPED

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
So many 00s dubs people praise still get muddled with all the obvious stock Japanese tls making their way in. "It can't be helped," "with these hands," etc. It's a testament to how bad officially licensed subs get that the dubs are often the only way you get to see a script approaching anything near natural English.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dubs are good just because of higurashi gou, where the sub translator insisted 'big brudder' was the only Proper translation for nii-nii and anyone who did anything else was an idiot, and then the dub just used nii-nii

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Strange Quark posted:

So many 00s dubs people praise still get muddled with all the obvious stock Japanese tls making their way in. "It can't be helped," "with these hands," etc. It's a testament to how bad officially licensed subs get that the dubs are often the only way you get to see a script approaching anything near natural English.

I've seen this a lot with Netflix licensed shows, where the sub scripts are pretty bad and the dub scripts are written by people who know a thing or two.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Strange Quark posted:

as expected of subs

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On the subject of dubs, I actually think Cowboy Bebop works better in English than it does in Japanese (though both versions are good and the latter has Megumi Hayashibara as Faye), it might be because of the more western setting the show has.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Endorph posted:

dubs are good just because of higurashi gou, where the sub translator insisted 'big brudder' was the only Proper translation for nii-nii and anyone who did anything else was an idiot, and then the dub just used nii-nii

reading that twitter thread felt like a video game audiolog sequence where a character tries to translate some cthulu text and then the last entry is just 'BIG BRUDDER' next to their corpse

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Chicken Thumbs posted:

Best dub is Cromartie High School and it isn't even close.
https://youtu.be/1q5N9QqOYxM

I'm sorry, but the best dub is Castle Shikigami II. :colbert:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Stexils posted:

reading that twitter thread felt like a video game audiolog sequence where a character tries to translate some cthulu text and then the last entry is just 'BIG BRUDDER' next to their corpse

it's insane because literally if you wanted to translate it to something more immediately understandable for an english audience there's. absolutely no reason "big bro" wouldn't work. it's super simple it's, literally right there, there's no reason, to go on a massive journey to discover the most correct tl you can. just go with the most simple and obvious solution.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also the castle of shikigami 2 dub is funny for a laugh but it's like the robot alchemic drive dub in that if you actually are trying to play the game with it you're just torturing yourself

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I love The Eotena Onslaught.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Polsy posted:

https://polsy.org.uk/ani/stats/whoposted1to24.html

now featuring equal ranks for people with the same number of posts and changes from last time

I'm still exactly the same. The system works

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/ItsFantasticAC/status/1364270167253991428

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

messatsu

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stexils posted:

What twitter thread?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Also has the Karateka run too

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I like can't be helped. it's a good phrase

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

homeless snail posted:

I like can't be helped. it's a good phrase

this

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It doesn't sound terribly unnatural or anything, but do people actually ever use the phrase IRL in the US or anything?

In Canada at least I hear "c'est la vie" or "poo poo happens" instead of that, though I can understand why neither of those would be used. :v:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Acerbatus posted:

It doesn't sound terribly unnatural or anything, but do people actually ever use the phrase IRL in the US or anything?

In Canada at least I hear "c'est la vie" or "poo poo happens" instead of that, though I can understand why neither of those would be used. :v:

I think it was superseded by, "Welp,"

(My dad used to say, "C'est la Vie")

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

so with a dub, has there ever been an instance where a line changed in a dub to match the mouth flip flap ends up changing the meaning of what a character says

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

yes? constantly? why do you think people don't like dubs