Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Idle Amalgam posted:

Looking for more horror in the south, to be honest... feels like home.

I mean if you’re a total sicko there’s always the Edward Lee option. He’s basically the definition of extreme hillbilly horror

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
This week I bought a book of Poppy Z Brite’s short stories and I, out in the wild, found the first two Splatterpunk anthologies (which I had been itchy to pick up). And I still have Blackwater to tackle. I’m horror’d the gently caress up and I’m hyped about it.

I’m actually finishing the first book in the Gormenghast series rn, which while not being horror outright, is at least weird fiction-adjacent.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

After reading the yuppies vs squatches book, I got in the mood for more 'stereotype vs monster(s)' and general creature feature books so here we go on a round up of some B-grade splatterfests I've read recently.

Pandemonium by Ryan Harding: Low rent wrestling promotion and fans at the event vs demons of the 'if they injure you then you also become a demon' variety. Most folding chair related murders ever captured in one book. Everyone's skull is consistently as squishy or as solid as is required by the story at the time. 95% of characters don't live long enough to be a character and are just referenced by whatever shirt they're wearing C+

Castaways by Brian Keene: Survivor-esque reality TV cast vs missing link cannibal tribe. All the reality TV stereotypes are here, at least briefly. Gruesome, and gets pretttty rapey for a bit in the last 1/3 so maybe avoid if that's an instant put down. Still, better written than Pandemonium. B-

Earthworm Gods (and Earthworm Gods 2) by Brian Keene: Giant worms and every kind of sea monster you can think of vs the few small groups that are still alive. Probably should have just been one book. It's got Cthulu monsters and above average writing for this class of book so you can't go too wrong. Mid-late second book spoiler, suddenly giving the book a path towards a resolution with a magical dude kinda lame B+

Clickers by JF Gonzalez: Sleepy Maine community vs Giant crabs (scorpioncrabs?) and eventually super human lizard/fish people. Good 'absolutely no one is safe' fun. I guess there's a series of these and even a crossover of giant crabs vs Brian Keene's smart zombies from The Rising? I may actually pick some of those up if the mood strikes me again. B

The Hematophages by Stephen Kozeniewski: Deep space salvage crew vs brain parasites. Starts Event Horizon-ish and ends The Thing-ish (in the don't know who's infected kinda way). Fun world and characters. B+

Draculas by four different authors. Jeez, man: Draculas, of the very much not chill variety, vs a hospital full of people. Each author took on a different set of characters and the result isn't so much a story, but it's definitely a thrill ride. Pure grindhouse poo poo from minute one. You could do a lot worse if that's the kind of thing you're looking for. B

Well that was 2 weeks of late night wine-heavy reading well spent.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Good Citizen posted:

After reading the yuppies vs squatches book, I got in the mood for more 'stereotype vs monster(s)' and general creature feature books so here we go on a round up of some B-grade splatterfests I've read recently.

Pandemonium by Ryan Harding: Low rent wrestling promotion and fans at the event vs demons of the 'if they injure you then you also become a demon' variety. Most folding chair related murders ever captured in one book. Everyone's skull is consistently as squishy or as solid as is required by the story at the time. 95% of characters don't live long enough to be a character and are just referenced by whatever shirt they're wearing C+

Castaways by Brian Keene: Survivor-esque reality TV cast vs missing link cannibal tribe. All the reality TV stereotypes are here, at least briefly. Gruesome, and gets pretttty rapey for a bit in the last 1/3 so maybe avoid if that's an instant put down. Still, better written than Pandemonium. B-

Earthworm Gods (and Earthworm Gods 2) by Brian Keene: Giant worms and every kind of sea monster you can think of vs the few small groups that are still alive. Probably should have just been one book. It's got Cthulu monsters and above average writing for this class of book so you can't go too wrong. Mid-late second book spoiler, suddenly giving the book a path towards a resolution with a magical dude kinda lame B+

Clickers by JF Gonzalez: Sleepy Maine community vs Giant crabs (scorpioncrabs?) and eventually super human lizard/fish people. Good 'absolutely no one is safe' fun. I guess there's a series of these and even a crossover of giant crabs vs Brian Keene's smart zombies from The Rising? I may actually pick some of those up if the mood strikes me again. B

The Hematophages by Stephen Kozeniewski: Deep space salvage crew vs brain parasites. Starts Event Horizon-ish and ends The Thing-ish (in the don't know who's infected kinda way). Fun world and characters. B+

Draculas by four different authors. Jeez, man: Draculas, of the very much not chill variety, vs a hospital full of people. Each author took on a different set of characters and the result isn't so much a story, but it's definitely a thrill ride. Pure grindhouse poo poo from minute one. You could do a lot worse if that's the kind of thing you're looking for. B

Well that was 2 weeks of late night wine-heavy reading well spent.

Well poo poo. I have some stuff to load up my tablet with. Thanks!

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

Well poo poo. I have some stuff to load up my tablet with. Thanks!

No problem, man. Keep in mind those grades are on a "You're in the mood for this kinda poo poo" curve. But overall I enjoyed the lot of them for what they were.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Good Citizen posted:

This was one of those weird situations where the author had a GREAT book right up until the last five pages when a massive plot contradiction ruined everything. Explanation: Literally the entire book characters go to great lengths to explain that the company is recording everything at all times, yet for the ending to work the company has to be completely ignorant of what happened. They would have watched the goddamn videos and known what's-her-face was compromised.

I was so mad about it I broke the cardinal rule and actually asked Kozeniewski what the hell happened and he just shrugged and said "oops."

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Ornamented Death posted:

This was one of those weird situations where the author had a GREAT book right up until the last five pages when a massive plot contradiction ruined everything. Explanation: Literally the entire book characters go to great lengths to explain that the company is recording everything at all times, yet for the ending to work the company has to be completely ignorant of what happened. They would have watched the goddamn videos and known what's-her-face was compromised.

I was so mad about it I broke the cardinal rule and actually asked Kozeniewski what the hell happened and he just shrugged and said "oops."

Yeahhhhh, I mentally explained it away as it never being completely clear how easy it is for someone to get infected, though clearly direct contact with the aliens gets the job done. They got all up in the ships water supply before the climax if I'm remembering right, so I just chalked it up as remnant eggs somewhere I guess. But yeah you're not wrong it's a swerve that is done more for what it allows the author to do with the character, rather than what makes the most sense.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Good Citizen posted:

Yeahhhhh, I mentally explained it away as it never being completely clear how easy it is for someone to get infected, though clearly direct contact with the aliens gets the job done. They got all up in the ships water supply before the climax if I'm remembering right, so I just chalked it up as remnant eggs somewhere I guess. But yeah you're not wrong it's a swerve that is done more for what it allows the author to do with the character, rather than what makes the most sense.

Ok, but there's still hundreds of hours of footage of what went down. Even if the actual moment of infection could be hidden or obscured, there's zero reason why the company wouldn't order an incredibly thorough medical exam.

It is an ending of such breathtaking idiocy that it's a bit impressive.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Started Blackwater today! More of that McDowell Southern Gothic goodness. He really makes writing great characters look easy.

Edit: I’ve been reading Blackwater for a few days now, just finished up the second “book.” I think if I like it this much till the end, it’ll easily have a place on my “favorite novels” list and I’ll probably start annoyingly recommending it to everyone I know. I just absolutely love everything that is happening in this novel. McDowell was really something special. This is capital L literature. If you’ve read Blackwater please come back to this thread so we can talk about it!!!

Conrad_Birdie fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 1, 2021

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

While I will admit to a certain cynicism, I am a nay-sayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another.

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Started Blackwater today! More of that McDowell Southern Gothic goodness. He really makes writing great characters look easy.

Edit: I’ve been reading Blackwater for a few days now, just finished up the second “book.” I think if I like it this much till the end, it’ll easily have a place on my “favorite novels” list and I’ll probably start annoyingly recommending it to everyone I know. I just absolutely love everything that is happening in this novel. McDowell was really something special. This is capital L literature. If you’ve read Blackwater please come back to this thread so we can talk about it!!!

I love Blackwater. I did the ~30 hour audiobook and it really helped with the feeling of time passing. It’s a tricky one just because the scope keeps expanding. I don’t know that the plot, such that there is hangs together that well but the characters are indelible

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Yep I binged the one big audiobook too. It's an incredibly-crafted story, and I can't believe how much it drew me in. Super super good, one of my favorites.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
One of the funniest bits thus far is when Oscar and Elinor elope while Mary Love is out of town, and you know she already doesn’t like Elinor so you’ve got to expect this massive blow-up when the couple comes back, it’s all been building to this...and then they come back, and Mary Love is only slightly annoyed because Jame’s wife is there, and Mary Love hates her more than Elinor. Just an incredible build up to a hilarious diffusing of tension. I laughed and laughed.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
I started reading Nick Cutter's The Troop a bit ago and had to put it down, probably permanently, after one particularly hosed up scene involving a monkey. Body horror is usually extremely my poo poo but apparently I found my limit in this specific kind of parasite.

I did finish, however, Bentley Little's The Resort and really enjoyed it. I'm a big fan of "Large group/Town starts fine but slowly devolves into horror" kinds of set ups and am glad I stumbled onto it after looking for novels set in Arizona--which otherwise has been fairly difficult outside of Little despite it being a setting ripe for horror imo

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Sab Sabbington posted:

I started reading Nick Cutter's The Troop a bit ago and had to put it down, probably permanently, after one particularly hosed up scene involving a monkey. Body horror is usually extremely my poo poo but apparently I found my limit in this specific kind of parasite.

I did finish, however, Bentley Little's The Resort and really enjoyed it. I'm a big fan of "Large group/Town starts fine but slowly devolves into horror" kinds of set ups and am glad I stumbled onto it after looking for novels set in Arizona--which otherwise has been fairly difficult outside of Little despite it being a setting ripe for horror imo

The troop only gets worse, IMO. I pushed through that whole drat book out of grossed-out spite. I also usually don't shy away from body horror but it felt like the book devolved into a long piss and vomit joke by the end. You are missing nothing by skipping it.

The only other book (story) that made me put a book down was the one in the short story collection (black suns or something like that?) where they dredged up some polyp from under the ocean and this lady gets infected and her vagina explodes. I'm not even kidding. It grossed me out so bad I left the book in a hotel room.

sephiRoth IRA fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 1, 2021

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I thought The Troop cheated a bit by having one of the kids be a Patrick Hockstetter-esque psychopath deliberately escalating the situation with the tapeworms for kicks

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

High Warlord Zog posted:

I thought The Troop cheated a bit by having one of the kids be a Patrick Hockstetter-esque psychopath deliberately escalating the situation with the tapeworms for kicks

This annoyed me, for sure, and was a big part of why I put the book down. The gleeful gross-out style was probably the bigger turnoff though, I just don't go in for that style. I don't mind a lot of gore, but it gets kind of old or creepy (in a bad way) if it goes on too long, or is basically all there is to a book, imo. I think my issues with The Troop were amplified because I read it not long after The Deep, which I actually really enjoyed. I think it strikes a better balance of gratuitous gross-out moments with a little more actual story.

Unrelated, I'm finally reading Gates of Abomination and it's really good so far.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

MockingQuantum posted:

This annoyed me, for sure, and was a big part of why I put the book down. The gleeful gross-out style was probably the bigger turnoff though, I just don't go in for that style. I don't mind a lot of gore, but it gets kind of old or creepy (in a bad way) if it goes on too long, or is basically all there is to a book, imo. I think my issues with The Troop were amplified because I read it not long after The Deep, which I actually really enjoyed. I think it strikes a better balance of gratuitous gross-out moments with a little more actual story.

Unrelated, I'm finally reading Gates of Abomination and it's really good so far.

You're tuned to WXXT

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

It’s been a while but I remember liking but not loving The Troop. It does exactly what you know and expect it to do competently, without ever really elevating itself past that. I guess it helps that my tolerance for violence and body horror is very very high when it comes to books.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Kind of a weird request but does anyone know of any horror novels set during the Vietnam War? I realized there's some stuff floating around that deals with the aftermath back home in the US, but I couldn't really think of any novels set during the conflict itself. There's a decent amount of horror set during WW1 / 2 and even Iraq / Afghanistan, so I thought it was kind of an interesting gap.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Kind of a weird request but does anyone know of any horror novels set during the Vietnam War? I realized there's some stuff floating around that deals with the aftermath back home in the US, but I couldn't really think of any novels set during the conflict itself. There's a decent amount of horror set during WW1 / 2 and even Iraq / Afghanistan, so I thought it was kind of an interesting gap.

I haven't read it yet, but TE Grau's I Am the River is set in North Vietnam during the end of the war. I think someone in here read it though. Bilirubin maybe?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

I got you man. Recently read Grimweave by Tim Curran and it sounds like what you're looking for
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YM7NCQ6/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title

It's a shorty at 149 pages but its a fit for what you're asking

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Koko by Peter Straub, maybe? It is set after the war with flashbacks to the war itself so it may not be exactly what you're looking for.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Mmmaybe not horror but this might be of interest: The Healer's War by Elizabeth Anne Scarborough.

quote:

This eventually leads to a strange, almost surrealistic journey through the jungle, accompanied by a one-legged boy and a battle-seasoned but crazed soldier—as McCulley struggles to find herself and a way to survive through the madness and destruction.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

MockingQuantum posted:

I haven't read it yet, but TE Grau's I Am the River is set in North Vietnam during the end of the war. I think someone in here read it though. Bilirubin maybe?

Yep I did and I really really liked it.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Hi thread I would like a suggestion. In the last year this is the horror I've read:

Obscura - Joe Hart
Life Expectancy - Dean Koontz
Disappearance At Devil's Rock - Paul Tremblay
Growing Things - Paul Tremblay
John Dies At The End - David Wong
North American Lake Monsters - Nathan Ballingrud
A Head Full Of Ghosts - Paul Tremblay
Night Of The Mannequins - Stephen Graham Jones
The Deep - Nick Cutter
People Live Still In Cashtown Corners - Tony Burgess
The Only Good Indians - Stephen Graham Jones
The Fireman - Joe Hill
We Need To Do Something - Max Booth III

I can't find anything that interests me now. Y'all seem to know a lot. Can someone give me a rec?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Answer the following three questions

1. I prefer my antagonist to be

...more monstrous

...more psychological

2. I prefer my setting to be

... more grounded in reality

... more supernatural

3. My definition of horror is

... more traditional (books marketed as "horror", etc)

... open to elaboration (books that aren't horror but may still induce feelings of dread or fear)

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Answer the following three questions

1. I prefer my antagonist to be

...more monstrous

...more psychological

2. I prefer my setting to be

... more grounded in reality

... more supernatural

3. My definition of horror is

... more traditional (books marketed as "horror", etc)

... open to elaboration (books that aren't horror but may still induce feelings of dread or fear)

More psychological.

More grounded in reality.

Open to elaboration.

Out of what I read in that list, A Head Full Of Ghosts was my favorite.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Untrustable posted:

More psychological.

Open to elaboration.

You might be interested in:

- Home Before Dark by Riley Sager
- The Drowning Girl by Caitlin R Kiernan

They're very different books and I enjoyed them both for different reasons.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Untrustable posted:

More psychological.

Open to elaboration.

Read Brian Evenson's short story collections, maybe starting with Windeye. Then maybe some Laird Barron, at least if you don't mind tough-guy noire protagonists.

EDIT: It's definitely more supernatural and less grounded, but read Ballingrud's Wounds collection. It's just a relentlessly great romp through some literal hells.

Another edit: Maybe also Daryl Gregory's We Are All Completely Fine? It's about a support group for people who've survived encounters with strange and monstrous things.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 3, 2021

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

a foolish pianist posted:

EDIT: It's definitely more supernatural and less grounded, but read Ballingrud's Wounds collection. It's just a relentlessly great romp through some literal hells.

Everyone praises "Skullpocket" and "The Visible Filth," but "The Butcher's Table" was so loving cool. I want more stories like that.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Everyone praises "Skullpocket" and "The Visible Filth," but "The Butcher's Table" was so loving cool. I want more stories like that.

I feel like The Butcher’s Table definitely gets a lot of praise, it was nominated for the World Fantasy Award (and is my personal favourite). The Visible Filth of course got adapted into a movie but not sure Skullpocket has stood out that much hype-wise.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah I'm probably wrong about that. I just really liked it and didn't expect it at all.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Anyone looking for something new should check out The Weird edited by edited by Ann and Jeff VanderMeer. It's got over 100 stories, each by a different author, so it's a great sampler platter of all sorts of weird horror and an excellent way to discover new writers. There's also a few stories in there that are hard to find elsewhere.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Untrustable posted:

More psychological.

Open to elaboration.

Twenty Days of Turin - Giorgio De Maria

A Lush and Seething Hell - John Jacobs

The Tenant - Roland Topor

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/supermassive-scifi-fantasy-horror-tachyon-books

Surprisingly great spread in this, especially the Kiernan!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Untrustable posted:

More psychological.

Open to elaboration.

Night Film.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I have taken all of your suggestions and made a list. I'm gonna start with Wounds and go from there. Thank you!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Just FYI all but this months BotM is Carrier Wave and it has some cosmic horror going on in it (I am only two stories in so far) and is quite good. The author has put the kindle on sale today (US Amazon) in honor of our book club taking it on this month. Go get it!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Thanks for the recommendations guys! All of those look great and most of them I can snag through scribd so that's perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Picked up Carrier Wave because that's a good deal. Also grabbed Wounds and Home Before Dark to get into y'all's recommendations.