Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
when i was a kid I wanted to be an astronomer so badly but i sucked rear end at math and so that dream was shattered :smith:

but i still love space and I get hella excited at new space discoveries so I can at least act like a kid again when I find out something new about the cosmos :unsmith:

Also post telescope recommendations itt I would love to get into stargazing again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I also wanted to be an astronomer but I also realized I kinda sucked at math and I didn't like the job prospects.
I make maps now though and that still involves some space stuff. :yaycloud:

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
I wanted to be the third person on Mars.

Cause some people still remember Pete Conrad.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Space Marine count?

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Astronaut! But my eyes were hosed from an early age, so no Air Force for me. I still dream about working at NASA, though.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

I wanted to be an astronomer or astronaut so bad when I was a wee child, like 2nd and 3rd grade. But by the time 6th grade rolled around I was a full-fledged delinquent, and never did any junior astronaut programs or pursued a STEM education.

Years later it turned out that I was pretty athletic and good at math, so welp

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing
I'm a grown up and I still want a career with space stuff.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung
Yes! I wanted to be like living in space colonies. That be cool.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

48 Hour Boner posted:

I'm a grown up and I still want a career with space stuff.

Same but idk what that would be!

Faith For Two
Aug 27, 2015
At some point I got lazy and demotivated. I somehow managed to obtain a STEM education and enter a STEM career path. I think it could still happen but I’d have to have friends help me change my priorities in life.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I'm gonna be a spess mahreen

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Absolutely! I remember my dad getting me out of bed so I could watch Apollo 11 land on the moon. I had a book titled "You Will Go To The Moon" which explained how going to the moon would be a routine trip in the near future, even for kids. I was going to pilot that ship! Didn't make it, but I do teach science and am an avid amateur astronomer.

But! One of my students from my very first year of teaching got really excited by my love of astronomy and space exploration and later decided to study Aerospace Engineering in college as a result. She later got a job at JPL and worked on both Curiosity and Perseverance. So I might not do the space thing professionally, but I inspired someone else to do that, and that makes me really, really proud.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Genesplicer posted:

Absolutely! I remember my dad getting me out of bed so I could watch Apollo 11 land on the moon. I had a book titled "You Will Go To The Moon" which explained how going to the moon would be a routine trip in the near future, even for kids. I was going to pilot that ship! Didn't make it, but I do teach science and am an avid amateur astronomer.

But! One of my students from my very first year of teaching got really excited by my love of astronomy and space exploration and later decided to study Aerospace Engineering in college as a result. She later got a job at JPL and worked on both Curiosity and Perseverance. So I might not do the space thing professionally, but I inspired someone else to do that, and that makes me really, really proud.

I'm melting right now :3: this is the most wholesome post and you get to say a little tiny bit of you is on another planet!

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I did. Then I had one. Then I left it

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Wanted to be an astrophysicist, but didn't do well with calculus

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

I did, and then I determined that that was doomed to fail and pursued other things.

And then I ended up an astronomer anyway, somehow. :toot:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

No but I did it anyways

AskaniSystem
Apr 28, 2013
As a young child I wanted to be the first "astronaut-paleontologist" and go check for dinosaur fossils on the moon. It didn't work out.

Delicate Stranger
Nov 16, 2006
My parents may still have the illustration I made in Kindergarten, when I wanted to be a lawyer for NASA. A rocket lawyer, if you will.

Rocket docket

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I dreamed about becoming an astronomer and astronaut throughout kindergarten and the 1st grade. I was really fascinated with the planets, especially Jupiter and Saturn since they were the giants.

Then in the 2nd grade I moved on from space to dinosaurs, dreaming about becoming a paleontologist. The stegosaurus was my favorite dinosaur.

After the 2nd grade, I never thought about what realistic career I wanted to pursue (outside of becoming a professional football or basketball player as kids are wont to do) until high school, when I decided to go into computer science so I could go into video game development. While I did major in computer science in college, my career took a completely different path from there.

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

no but oddly enough as an adult, yes. even applied to NASA’s astronaut program. lol. got reeeejected.

but I also applied to SpaceX (software engineer) and got accepted. let’s just say Elon has no problems taking advantage of a young and passionate workforce and so I didn’t take the job.

I now code for some hedge fund. sigh. elon save me.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I wanted to be an astronaut as a little kid but then checked the odds and found out 1) the chances were basically zero and 2) I'm too freakishly tall to fit inside spaceships anyways. Then I wanted to be an aerospace engineer and work on spaceships but that didn't work out after I went to a professional event and the kid next to me was just so excited about getting to help murder brown people at his defense contractor internship working on vibration control in missiles or whatever that I had to walk out in disgust and become a plant toucher instead (I was kinda mediocre at math anyways I would've failed out in all likelihood given another year or two so for the best). I'd totally work on exobiology if that ever became a thing though, Earth biology is cool and I like looking at plants but I'd like looking at weird Europan pond scum or whatever even more.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 26, 2021

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

AskaniSystem posted:

As a young child I wanted to be the first "astronaut-paleontologist" and go check for dinosaur fossils on the moon. It didn't work out.

Good news! There's still a chance!

https://www.esquiremag.ph/long-read...asteroid%20hit.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Same as a lot of people here. Yeah, wanted to be a cool top gun Maverick and then fly space fighter jets for NASA. The space budget getting slashed and forever wars put an end to that. Now I don’t even work tangentially to space. If I knew there’d be a real market I might have tried harder to work with satellites but it seemed like space was dead and buried a decade or two ago.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I absolutely wanted to be an astronaut, walking on the moon would be a dream come true for me. I met the minimum qualifications for my country's last national astronaut selection, so applied because obviously, but I was definitely not selected. After seeing the people they did select, they made the right call :v:

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
No, and I didn't

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Delicate Stranger posted:

My parents may still have the illustration I made in Kindergarten, when I wanted to be a lawyer for NASA. A rocket lawyer, if you will.

Rocket docket

I still have the rocket drawing I did in Kindergarten. That was in 1967. It was part of the book we all drew in class. Looking back, it was a pretty amateurish attempt at a rocket.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I was obsessed with space as a kid and still love it. I even studied rocket science at uni as part of my engineering degree, but there's no space industry to speak of in Australia so I settled hard to doing trains instead.

I drew this as a kid and it's still hung up at my parents' place and I don't loving care if you're going to tell me those two vehicles would never go together because Applo 14 can do whatever I want it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnCanadian
Jan 3, 2005

Perpetuating the stereotype since 1978.
I actually started in the astrophysics program in college, but then I got a job at the observatory. After three months of spending Friday and Saturday nights all by myself doing isodensity recordings, I said this sucks, I don’t want to do this for a living, and switched to computer science. I still enjoy astronomy as a hobby, and spend Friday and Saturday nights by myself stacking CCD exposures instead.