Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

homeless snail posted:

yes? constantly? why do you think people don't like dubs

I just thought people didn't like the voice acting?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
remember when funi tried to remove the gay from maid dragon

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Learning that Funi was funded by rick santorum or whatever made that make alot more sense in hindsight.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Willo567 posted:

I just thought people didn't like the voice acting?

I mean, I also don't like the voice acting.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Acerbatus posted:

It doesn't sound terribly unnatural or anything, but do people actually ever use the phrase IRL in the US or anything?

In Canada at least I hear "c'est la vie" or "poo poo happens" instead of that, though I can understand why neither of those would be used. :v:

i sometimes say "nothing for it" which seems pretty similar but i don't know how common that is

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
Sometimes the English Dubs are bad and sometimes they're good.

However the japanese is always good, and if it isn't I can't tell as I don't speak japanese.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

SerCypher posted:

Sometimes the English Dubs are bad and sometimes they're good.

However the japanese is always good, and if it isn't I can't tell as I don't speak japanese.

:hmmyes:

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

kirbysuperstar posted:

I don't think it was funimation but I remember the dub of Cardcaptor Sakura which did the same thing

which resulted in them having to splice, like, three original episodes together for every episode they broadcast in the US

(also I would bet cash money that the only reason they even brought it over in the first place is because it has "Card" in the title and pokemon cards were hugely popular)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

they also tried to make syaoran the main character because they thought boys wouldn't want to watch a show about sakura

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

DoubleDonut posted:

I don't think it was funimation but I remember the dub of Cardcaptor Sakura which did the same thing

which resulted in them having to splice, like, three original episodes together for every episode they broadcast in the US

(also I would bet cash money that the only reason they even brought it over in the first place is because it has "Card" in the title and pokemon cards were hugely popular)

To be fair that was the original dub (which is apparently so hacked up that a lot of fans flat out consider it a separate series). A better, uncut dub was eventually made years later.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Waffleman_ posted:

I've seen this a lot with Netflix licensed shows, where the sub scripts are pretty bad and the dub scripts are written by people who know a thing or two.

Sometimes the subs script isn't edited at all, while the dub script is, which is apparently how things get run at Funi.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Willo567 posted:

so with a dub, has there ever been an instance where a line changed in a dub to match the mouth flip flap ends up changing the meaning of what a character says

You realize this happens with subs too. Some companies value having a readable "characters per second" speed at all times, and to do this they cut extra details in a line so it appears shorter on screen instead of having to think more about editing. Like for example, I've seen lines where the subtitles leave out things like an event happening five years ago, or a character's mom being divorced.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

that makes sense, but is not a thing i considered

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Strange Quark posted:

You realize this happens with subs too. Some companies value having a readable "characters per second" speed at all times, and to do this they cut extra details in a line so it appears shorter on screen instead of having to think more about editing. Like for example, I've seen lines where the subtitles leave out things like an event happening five years ago, or a character's mom being divorced.

daughter: why didn't you tell me you got a divorce!?
mother: readability

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yet nerds get mad at them for having that patriarchy line in there.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

dogsicle posted:

that makes sense, but is not a thing i considered

I mean it's a system people criticize, but I think it's more common with in house subs from the Japanese side.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
For me, they're like tea and coffee, so I can enjoy a good dub/localization as well as a solid OG performance.

Also I think the Japanese dubs for Zootopia and Spider-Verse were super good.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Wark Say posted:

I never would have guessed, but that's neat.

And as we all know, the Japanese dub of King of the Hill is incredible.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Wark Say posted:

For me, they're like tea and coffee, so I can enjoy a good dub/localization as well as a solid OG performance.

it's good because nick's played by sephiroth, who also dubs adam sandler

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

I mean it's a system people criticize, but I think it's more common with in house subs from the Japanese side.

ah, i was thinking of it more from the angle of a media limitation e.g. how manga has limited space for text. but i can see how differing views on a threshold of "readability" would cause issues like that.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Well, you get around it by creative editing, but if you're not paid to try, why bother?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

love 🤗

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

dogsicle posted:

love 🤗
:glomp:

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

i want some love please

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

lmao cringe

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

what is love

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

A battlefield

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
akira has the only good dub

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O53_5LCQZg

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Oh Baby, don't hurt me...
Don't hurt me, no more.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Violet_Sky posted:

Yet nerds get mad at them for having that patriarchy line in there.

the patriarchy line was a psyop they put in so they could use it as a cover when people complained about them removing the gay

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

symbolic posted:

A battlefield

x

Do you think love can bloom, even on a battlefield?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nIzWfhzqp4

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Level of violence.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
:shittypop:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I don't think I could watch Hellsing Ultimate without the over-the-top accents everyone has. From what I understand the Japanese voice track didn't have anything resembling that.

What I really like is when they go through the effort to make characters multilingual, like in the Japanese track of Full Metal Panic where people were speaking English, Italian or Cantonese depending on the scene setting. It was probably poorly accented but I appreciate the effort. The Fujiyama Gangsta Paradise arc in Black Lagoon was also really cool with Revy not knowing wtf anyone was saying and for the English dub it would have been better if they kept all the Japanese people speaking Japanese with subtitles, although I understand why they might not want to go that route. It would have made some scenes make more sense like that poor fucker in the bowling alley trying to beg Revy to spare him with his lovely English.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Slight derail from sub/dub talk, but how the heck am I still in the top 50?!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Forum's dyin'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Any of you like inuyasha