Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KracKiwi
Mar 29, 2002

:byodood: well excuse me, princess!
My little cousin is looking to buy and put together a gaming PC for himself to play first person shooters like the recent Call of Duty games. Can I get a sanity check on the parts list his mom sent me below? A completely different/alternative build recommendation would be welcome too - budget is around $1,000 USD.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: MSI B450M BAZOOKA MAX WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($88.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Neo Forza 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($69.99)
Storage: Inland Professional 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($57.99)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card ($314.99)
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 205 ATX Mid Tower Case ($75.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: PowerSpec 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99)
Total: $877.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-22 17:58 EST-0500

I don't know if video cards in this build price range are affected by the current shortage, but a recommondation for a pre-built machine works too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Zig-Zag posted:

Same boat. Still running my 970 and was waiting to upgrade. I waited to long... Best I can tell is to sign up for some discords and mailing services through retailers and watch them like a hawk.
Going to build a new machine and just plug my 970 in it for another 6 months lol

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

KracKiwi posted:

My little cousin is looking to buy and put together a gaming PC for himself to play first person shooters like the recent Call of Duty games. Can I get a sanity check on the parts list his mom sent me below? A completely different/alternative build recommendation would be welcome too - budget is around $1,000 USD.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: MSI B450M BAZOOKA MAX WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($88.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Neo Forza 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($69.99)
Storage: Inland Professional 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($57.99)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card ($314.99)
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 205 ATX Mid Tower Case ($75.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: PowerSpec 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99)
Total: $877.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-22 17:58 EST-0500

I don't know if video cards in this build price range are affected by the current shortage, but a recommondation for a pre-built machine works too.

You can get major-brand RAM for about that price, same with PSU. And I'd imagine the thread will recommend a SN550 for storage, again comparable on price. But I'd really recommend going for 1TB, games are huge these days

E:

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($54.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.50 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.97 @ Newegg)

CloFan fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 23, 2021

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

Harlock posted:

Going to build a new machine and just plug my 970 in it for another 6 months lol

I did this a year ago and told myself the same thing lol

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?

Twobirds posted:

I did this a year ago and told myself the same thing lol

Yep I upgraded last year around may. Would a 1660 really be worth spending the money or just holding out for another year? My 970 hasn't given me any issues and I really just want to play cyberpunk. If it would make a big difference in that I might consider it. Still running 1080p.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The question is always do I need this now. If your current GPU is doing the job (and I think the 970 is still a perfectly good card) then I'd wait at least 3-6 months to see if the crypto bubble pops. Like I want to upgrade my 1060 but it's still perfectly usable for now so I'm not going to go super crazy trying to get a 3060.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Zig-Zag posted:

Yep I upgraded last year around may. Would a 1660 really be worth spending the money or just holding out for another year? My 970 hasn't given me any issues and I really just want to play cyberpunk. If it would make a big difference in that I might consider it. Still running 1080p.

What price are you seeing the 1660 for is the operative question? Looks like a 1660S will do 1080p60 medium for Cyberpunk, with a regular 1660 a few fps shy.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 23, 2021

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm so glad I bought a 1660 ti in 2019

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?

Some Goon posted:

What price are you seeing the 1660 for is the operative question? Looks like a 1660S will do 1080p60 medium for Cyberpunk, with a regular 1660 a few fps shy.

Msrp is 250 but finding one is another issue... Even if it was less than 300 I still feel like that doesn't justify the upgrade considering I might be able to snag a 3xxx before the years over.

There's always GeForce now I suppose lol.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Harlock posted:

I'm super tempted to pull the trigger on everything but the GPU for a new build but then keep hesitating, wondering what the point is. Though I'd be going from a i5-6500/8GB ram to a 5600x/16GB etc., I'll still be stuck with my R9 380X that I bought as a mid-tier option in 2016. Oof.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
I have recently become a full time work from home person. I have a work laptop and a personal desktop. Right now I only have one monitor. I want to upgrade to two, but preferably I would like it for both. Is it possible to have some sort of a setup where I can have flip a switch and have the monitors flip over from the laptop to the desktop and vice versa? I'm not even sure what the names of the equipment are to make that happen.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Grifter posted:

I have recently become a full time work from home person. I have a work laptop and a personal desktop. Right now I only have one monitor. I want to upgrade to two, but preferably I would like it for both. Is it possible to have some sort of a setup where I can have flip a switch and have the monitors flip over from the laptop to the desktop and vice versa? I'm not even sure what the names of the equipment are to make that happen.

I guess if both monitors have enough inputs for both of your devices, then you'll be able to switch the source on each monitor when you want to swap over?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Grifter posted:

Does your laptop support two external monitors? It may not.

In either case, a KVM switch is what you’re looking for.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos

Grifter posted:

I believe the name of the item you are looking for is a KVM switch. Just make sure whatever you're getting supports multiple monitors, and whatever peripherals you'd like to swap between them as well

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
My build keeps having to stop to wait for parts to be shipped because I don't know I need something until I can't progress anymore without it. I'm currently waiting for a pair of 90 degree molex connectors. (side of case won't close otherwise)

While waiting for those parts I also got myself a Asus PN50 for HTPC. Jesus this thing is ridiculous. I could literally put it on the shelf inside my main PC.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Hey guys, I need to buy some drives for a security camera storage pool at a local business. The company who sells the security camera setup typically uses Western Digital Purple drives with their stuff, but I've been hearing chatter about Seagate Skyhawk Surveillance drives and wanted to ask you guys about them. They're 7200rpm as opposed to the WD's 5400, and they have a workload rating of 550 TB per year.

However, last I checked (admittedly several years ago), Western Digital was the king of platter drives and Seagate was pretty shaky in terms of reliability. Has Seagate stepped up their game? Would you guys recommend Seagate Skyhawk Surveillance drives or Western Digital Purple drives for a company's security camera setup?

edit: vv Thank you!

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 23, 2021

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hi, I have a somewhat weird question. I need to replace my gaming PC, but the only way to get a 30** card where I live is to buy it in a prebuilt computer. I realize this is an extra expense but that is a step I am willing to take; however, I have narrowed my criteria down to two computer sets. Anyone weigh in on which one is better/why are they both awful?
(names taken from the store page, can provide hopefully further info if required)

Set 1:
GFX: GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming OC
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
MB: GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ELITE + WiFi WBAX200
RAM: GIGABYTE AORUS 16 GB KIT DDR 4 3733 MHz CL18 RGB
CPU Cooler: ARTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO
SSD: GIGABYTE AORUS Gen 4 SSD 1 TB

Set 2:
GFX: EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 XC3 BLACK
CPU: Intel Core i7-10700KF
MB: MSI Z490 GAMING EDGE
RAM: Corsair 32 GB KIT DDR 4 3200 MHz CL16 Vengeance RGB PRO
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100x
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
Thanks for the KVM input, everybody. That does look exactly like what I want.

Winged Orpheus posted:

I believe the name of the item you are looking for is a KVM switch. Just make sure whatever you're getting supports multiple monitors, and whatever peripherals you'd like to swap between them as well
I looked it up. I have a Surface 3 Laptop, it does USB-C for outputs. The laptop does support two monitors. My desktop is DVI. I am looking at this thing, now I just need to figure out which configuration will give me the right ports/cables to get me working.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

Hey guys, I need to buy some drives for a security camera storage pool at a local business. The company who sells the security camera setup typically uses Western Digital Purple drives with their stuff, but I've been hearing chatter about Seagate Skyhawk Surveillance drives and wanted to ask you guys about them. They're 7200rpm as opposed to the WD's 5400, and they have a workload rating of 550 TB per year.

However, last I checked (admittedly several years ago), Western Digital was the king of platter drives and Seagate was pretty shaky in terms of reliability. Has Seagate stepped up their game? Would you guys recommend Seagate Skyhawk Surveillance drives or Western Digital Purple drives for a company's security camera setup?

They’re all about equally reliable when it comes to the big names. The fluctuations you hear are model or personal use bias.

For a surveillance system, 7200rpm is likely a waste of money. You’re better off getting specific advise from the NAS thread though, they’re more versed in large platter drive arrays.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

anilEhilated posted:

(names taken from the store page, can provide hopefully further info if required

Price?

The 5800x is the better processor but they've paired it with worse other components (less RAM, an underpowered cooler, needlessly expensive NVMe)

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 23, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
What’s the pricing like? I would probably go for the second option because of the extra RAM and the MSI Z490 Gaming Edge Motherboard is a pretty sweet board. I didn’t expect to actually have opinions on a motherboard but I actually like this one.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Set 1 is more expensive than set 2 by about 250 dollars when converted.

e: Okay, seems like Set 2 is the way to go. Thanks!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Then absolutely do set 2 unless you’re super set on AMD over Intel.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I have a motherboard with four USB 3.0 ports, no further headers or expandabiltity nor any USB 2.0

As in the past with other motherboards, when I plug a Wifi adapter and a mouse receiver into adjacent ports, or an SSD and Wifi etc, the operation of one will interfere with the wireless reception of another.

Is there some kind of USB hub that actually properly isolates each device from interference from others? It seems like using a powered hub doesn't fix things; it seems like it's more a bandwidth issue than one device pulling too many milliamps.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

I have a motherboard with four USB 3.0 ports, no further headers or expandabiltity nor any USB 2.0

As in the past with other motherboards, when I plug a Wifi adapter and a mouse receiver into adjacent ports, or an SSD and Wifi etc, the operation of one will interfere with the wireless reception of another.

Is there some kind of USB hub that actually properly isolates each device from interference from others? It seems like using a powered hub doesn't fix things; it seems like it's more a bandwidth issue than one device pulling too many milliamps.

What board do you have?

If you want USB 2.0 ports you could get a PCI card. You could also get a PCI wifi/Bluetooth card, which is what I'd probably do in that situation. PCI wifi should be more reliable that USB.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

What board do you have?

If you want USB 2.0 ports you could get a PCI card. You could also get a PCI wifi/Bluetooth card, which is what I'd probably do in that situation. PCI wifi should be more reliable that USB.

I can't do any of those things lol:

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X570D4I-2T#Specifications

I can't complain too much because I have the thing going with a 5800x, 3080, and 64gb of ram. But the USB is the Achilles' heel, and the lack of any way to add a wifi card besides just taking up a USB slot for an adapter.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
What about something like the nzxt usb hub?

Also, lol

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I mean, that is the risk you take with an ITX build.

The model of the board would be more helpful than an image.

Without additional info, I'd probably run the wifi card off front I/O to reduce issues.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I might be moving into a studio/one bedroom later this year and have a pretty long HDMI cable that I've used to connect to our 4K/60hz TV before. Would there be any problem with connecting my PC to both my 1440p/75hz monitor (over DP) and the TV at the same time, then switching between them as needed? If I could get everything positioned properly it would solve the problem of moving things around if I wanted to game and stream on a larger screen.

I'm running a 3060 ti if that matters.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

change my name posted:

I might be moving into a studio/one bedroom later this year and have a pretty long HDMI cable that I've used to connect to our 4K/60hz TV before. Would there be any problem with connecting my PC to both my 1440p/75hz monitor (over DP) and the TV at the same time, then switching between them as needed? If I could get everything positioned properly it would solve the problem of moving things around if I wanted to game and stream on a larger screen.

I'm running a 3060 ti if that matters.

There's nothing wrong with that, I have a simple unpowered a/ b switch i use to do the same. Where you might run into issues is if the switch does any sort of change to the signal, like if your display is an hdmi 2 standard, and the switch only passes 1.4 or whatever, and as a result it doesn't sync. Most of the time though it won't be an issue, however you should read the reviews and double check the specs on everything to make sure it'll all work well together.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

i had this happen with blackmagic shuttles over usb 3. a single shuttle maxed out the bus, rendering every other plug useless. had to buy PCI usb 3 cards to plug anotehr shuttle and extra poo poo in. thankfully windows threw an error whereas macos just didnt do anything and it didnt work, which was cool.

since u have some kind of tiny mobo maybe there is a.... sata breakout pci thing??????? does this exist? i dont know. i doubt it. =D

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Smythe posted:

i had this happen with blackmagic shuttles over usb 3. a single shuttle maxed out the bus, rendering every other plug useless. had to buy PCI usb 3 cards to plug anotehr shuttle and extra poo poo in. thankfully windows threw an error whereas macos just didnt do anything and it didnt work, which was cool.

since u have some kind of tiny mobo maybe there is a.... sata breakout pci thing??????? does this exist? i dont know. i doubt it. =D

I have a comp w/o wireless, so I just configured a small edge router over a wireless bridge to the rest of the network, and then just feed it the ethernet cable from the router. Basically just wireless with a short ethernet termination, works fine.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Broken Machine posted:

I have a comp w/o wireless, so I just configured a small edge router over a wireless bridge to the rest of the network, and then just feed it the ethernet cable from the router. Basically just wireless with a short ethernet termination, works fine.

i done that once too pretty cool

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Smythe posted:

You can get SATA based Wifi cards for M.2 slots. But I don't know that board so I don't know if it has the capability, and if it has an M.2 slot I suspect the poster is running an NVME in there.

It's hard to recommend solutions without known the full build, use case, and budget. There are quite literally 100s of options here, and without more info we're mostly shooting in the dark. People seem to forget that the more effort/info they put into their post, the better the recommendations this thread will spit out.

Broken's solution is likely a good one. Or running some kind of mesh network with a node right by the PC that has an ethernet out would be good too. But that may be more expense than the above poster is willing to spend.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Grifter posted:

I have this exact situation as well. I’m using a four-port USB switch and this small app to act as a KVM: https://github.com/haimgel/display-switch

Both the work laptop and gaming PC are wired up to each monitor, and then the display switch app sends an input switch command to each display when I toggle the USB hub

I’m running my mechanical keyboard, audio interface, camlink, and streamdeck through the hub so that they can all be shared between the two computers

Since the work laptop is a Mac I am using the a Magic Trackpad and a mouse separately

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Alright. Yes I read the OP. But I need help. I could really use a new PC. Even just new to me.
My PC is past it. I realised recently it's about ten years old.
Usually I'd upgrade whenever there was a serious failure, but somehow it just hasn't happened.

What I'm after is kind of specific, but not necessarily high end.

I use things like virtualbox and friends. Things like tensorflow and other frameworks. Lots of software building. Occasional light gaming.
I also use Fusion 360 sometimes. It's one of the few reasons my PC even has a Windows partition.

So. Requirements would be:

AVX instruction support (everything should have it anyway)
CUDA. Mostly for deep learning, and some other libraries and software I use which take advantage of it.
USB3.0
Supports a reasonably large amount of common RAM. No snowflakes.
Modern SATA controller.

... That's about it I think.
I don't have a clue where to start. Haven't looked at PC hardware for years. I mostly play with SBCs and uCs.
I'd be fine with used, refurb or whatever.
I saw on Amazon they sell refurb PC's. Really I don't think I'd need more than Mobo, RAM, CPU and graphics card. Unless the ATX standard has changed, my PSU is more than adequate, and I have towers to choose from.

So, advice please?

I'm not after a high end PC or anything. Just something that will get the job done.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Budget?

Also, assuming your psu is also 10 years old, you should not be reusing it.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Some Goon posted:

Budget?

Also, assuming your psu is also 10 years old, you should not be reusing it.

I dunno somewhere around $300AUD give or take.

I think the PSU is a bit newer. I remember it's a reasonably high wattage Corsair. I needed it because my old nvidia card, and the dual AMDs before it absolutely destroyed my old PSU.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
do i need to remove the blue plastic from the heat shield on the unused m2 slot?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

PC Building adjacent, as of tonight Fry's Electronics has shut down nationwide. Leaving whatever is left of their employees up a poo poo creek. Rest in Piss.