Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

They're really fantastic. I'm over the moon about them and they really keep getting better. I wish I could keep them around long enough to get a few months on em!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Curivari Reserva Limitada Cafe Noir has been nice so far. A soft woody flavor with some baking spices and cocoa. At least I think that’s what this cigar is.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
It's a good stick :v:

I smoked a Southern Draw Jacobs Ladder last night. It was nice and full bodied and had a perfect amount of spice to it - very enjoyable.

I picked it up from a local B&M along with a Plasencia Alma Fuerte, My Father La Promesa, and a couple random Curivari sticks. I'm pretty hyped to try the Plasencia, but gonna give it some humidor time first.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Dramatika posted:

It's a good stick :v:

I smoked a Southern Draw Jacobs Ladder last night. It was nice and full bodied and had a perfect amount of spice to it - very enjoyable.

I picked it up from a local B&M along with a Plasencia Alma Fuerte, My Father La Promesa, and a couple random Curivari sticks. I'm pretty hyped to try the Plasencia, but gonna give it some humidor time first.

Nexein and I had the Jacob's Ladder the other night. I loved it but it didn't blow me away like the Rose did. This month's StogieBird package included a pair of Jacob's Ladder Brimstones so I'm excited to try that one a whole lot considering how much stronger and more full flavored that one is supposed to be.

Stogiebird has been awesome so far by the way. By far the best packaging of any cigars I have ever received by mail, and the value has been really solid so far. I get 2 pairs of 4 cigars every month for 60 bucks. Not bad considering what I've been getting.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Had a Preferidos Diamond tonight. It's a good smoke, no faults, but I think it's a little more subtle than my usual taste. It smokes just fine, and has a solid maduro profile, but nothing jumps out and grabs me. I'll probably leave a stick or two kicking around my humidor for a bit, just to see how it evolves. All I have left to try is the Platinum (Cameroon), but those are super young, the box having been packed in October of last year. I'm going to try and hold out for a few more months before cracking one, but we'll see how that goes.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Kenning posted:

Had a Preferidos Diamond tonight. It's a good smoke, no faults, but I think it's a little more subtle than my usual taste. It smokes just fine, and has a solid maduro profile, but nothing jumps out and grabs me. I'll probably leave a stick or two kicking around my humidor for a bit, just to see how it evolves. All I have left to try is the Platinum (Cameroon), but those are super young, the box having been packed in October of last year. I'm going to try and hold out for a few more months before cracking one, but we'll see how that goes.

The Prefs Diamond is one of my go-to smokes. I've smoked a ton of them, and for me it's like a double chocolate brownie or something like that. Not the most complex, just delicious and chewy.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"
Hey it's me, just continuing to smoke these belicoso flor de las antillas despite saying over and over i want more time on them but goddamn do they rule, and I have zero self control, so.

e for actual content: it's time for torch talk, what're you guys using? We've got these three flame xikar tactical torches which have been great but my adjustment screw keeps falling off and the set screw is stripped so hit me with some reccs

Nexein fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 23, 2021

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Nexein posted:

Hey it's me, just continuing to smoke these belicoso flor de las antillas despite saying over and over i want more time on them but goddamn do they rule, and I have zero self control, so.

:hfive: I've been the same with the AJ Last Calls. They need some rest but I really like them a lot.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I got this thing https://www.amazon.com/Black-Flint-...ix=kuboy&sr=1-1 because I wanted a soft flame and it’s a cheap St DuPont knock or whatever (even makes the ping noise). I also have a single flame Xikar torch that I use depending on how windy it is.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

IM Corona Old Boy is my lighter of choice. I end up cooking stuff on a hard flame and it's for pipes so it works great there, too.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.
Torch talk: S.T. Dupont Defi Extreme in orange, and Prometheus Magma T are the daily drivers.

S.T. Dupont Initial or Ligne 2 for things that need a soft flame. Usually the Initial, it’s a bit easier to fill properly.

Cutter is a Xikar XO. Looking to make that into an S.T. Dupont as well at some point.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Gramps, have you tried any of the other Double Maduro Nicaraguans on cigar page? I was amped for the torpedoes, but it looks like they're sold out.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

NewFatMike posted:

Gramps, have you tried any of the other Double Maduro Nicaraguans on cigar page? I was amped for the torpedoes, but it looks like they're sold out.

I have had the double maduros in 2 vitolas so far, 5.5x52 and 6.5x54. I liked the bigger ones a little better but they're both good. If you want torpedoes look at their Toasty Jones stuff. Needs age, but quite good.

I've also done the nicaraguan habano overruns and the dominican CT overruns. I'd buy all of them again. pretty unbeatable for a knockaround 2 buck smoke. The only issue I had with them was the habanos were prone to splitting and cracking but that's because their humidity was off and it's a very delicate wrapper leaf.

As for Torch talk: Cigarpage had a nice cigar bundle a few months back that had 30 ct cigars in it and came with a free xikar tactical torch. Nexein and I both bought the bundle. No regrets. The cigars were awesome and the torch absolutely rules, even if it is a bit of a gas pig. I paid 115 around the holidays, but even at the current price of 149 it's still a pretty good deal. the cigars are a bit different now looks like. Mine had CLE, Rocky Patel, Man o War, Perdomo, Joya, and and Camacho CTs.

https://www.cigarpage.com/connecticut-ultimate-30-v-ii-xikar-tactical-torch.html

Edit: Always check CigarPage's sampler section. They have good stuff almost every time you look. Tatuaje lancero sampler for 75 bucks right now...https://www.cigarpage.com/samplers/tatuaje-lancero-sampler-box-10-kp-tu001.html

Gramps fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 24, 2021

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
el gueguense maduro was disappointing. extremely dry, flavors weren’t terrible just not for me.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Lyon posted:

el gueguense maduro was disappointing. extremely dry, flavors weren’t terrible just not for me.

That surprises me! Those are some of my favorites. I am kind of a huge Maduro fan though. I might have to toss my last one into the drybox.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I can’t find my xikar single jet with foldout double punch :( great torch, I miss it. Don’t even remember what it was called, but it was hefty

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Gramps posted:

I have had the double maduros in 2 vitolas so far, 5.5x52 and 6.5x54. I liked the bigger ones a little better but they're both good. If you want torpedoes look at their Toasty Jones stuff. Needs age, but quite good.

I've also done the nicaraguan habano overruns and the dominican CT overruns. I'd buy all of them again. pretty unbeatable for a knockaround 2 buck smoke. The only issue I had with them was the habanos were prone to splitting and cracking but that's because their humidity was off and it's a very delicate wrapper leaf.

As for Torch talk: Cigarpage had a nice cigar bundle a few months back that had 30 ct cigars in it and came with a free xikar tactical torch. Nexein and I both bought the bundle. No regrets. The cigars were awesome and the torch absolutely rules, even if it is a bit of a gas pig. I paid 115 around the holidays, but even at the current price of 149 it's still a pretty good deal. the cigars are a bit different now looks like. Mine had CLE, Rocky Patel, Man o War, Perdomo, Joya, and and Camacho CTs.

https://www.cigarpage.com/connecticut-ultimate-30-v-ii-xikar-tactical-torch.html

Edit: Always check CigarPage's sampler section. They have good stuff almost every time you look. Tatuaje lancero sampler for 75 bucks right now...https://www.cigarpage.com/samplers/tatuaje-lancero-sampler-box-10-kp-tu001.html

Ah, I had the wrong one, glad I double checked for the maduro Nicaraguan overruns! Really pleased by Aging Room Quattro Nicaragua, can't wait to put these away for a few months

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Smoked an Ave Maria La Reconquista tonight with the boys. One of my friends likes them, the other doesn't. Me and the one each had a Reconquista, the other had a Leaf corojo lancero and a Perdomo Champagne purito to see it through. The Ave Maria is still a very fun cigar, definitely my favorite large format, at 7 x 54. The torpedo was beautifully constructed, not excessive tightness, and the smoke production was hilarious. Pre-light it smells like a bag of baking chocolate. At spark up it's heavy rolling black pepper, which mellows into a nice backdrop to a rich chocolate and char maduro profile. Very fun smoke, but definitely a post-meal cigar, cause the nicotine gets pretty serious. Being in the habit of smoking lanceros and coronas lately having a beefy boy was a cool change of pace. I still recommend this one, especially since it's cheap on Cigar Bid.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I smoked a Sobremesa Brulee today, which is a Connecticut wrapper. It was solid, good morning cigar with some coffee.

Edit: Just as a heads up the CigarBid special is a slightly overpriced (for CBid) 5x2 cigar Caldwell sampler. If you're willing to fight for 5 packs or if you want a 20 cigar sampler you can grab it off of Free Fall for slightly cheaper. I bought the special because I don't feel like monitoring the auctions and I don't need four of each cigar. They're all good cigars if you haven't had anything from them.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 25, 2021

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I had an unusually good San Cristobal Revelation today. Really great floral, perfume flavor. Maybe it's just because this is the longest a box has lasted in a long time and it's smoking how it should.

Gonna be jumping on the cheap and cheerful wagon soon enough - my spouse is finally transitioning to their private practice! It'll be well worth it. Getting all the big milestones in this pandemic!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Congrats to your spouse NFM! I just won a box of San Cristobal Revelation Mystics on CA today, so I'm excited to finally try them out. If they're as perfumey as you say I'm definitely gonna stick a couple into my ageing tray to see how they turn out.

I've also somewhat expanded my cigar buying consortium. Originally it was just me and my two buddies who I've been smoking with through the pandemic. Then I learned my friend down in L.A. likes to smoke, so I sell her stics out of my humidor for the box price when she's looking to re-up. Now she's roped her friend into the endeavor. I think her friend is used to B&M prices, so I'm expecting him to be impressed with how many sticks he gets for $60. It's also really fun to introduce them to favorites like the Leaf corojo and the Tatuaje Havana VI Verocu. Plus, with more people involved I can buy more boxes and try more stuff.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
It’s 50F outside with a slow breeze and my sons are in bed before 9. I may actually get to smoke a cigar before I go to bed.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Ophidian posted:

It’s 50F outside with a slow breeze and my sons are in bed before 9. I may actually get to smoke a cigar before I go to bed.

I smoked a cigar at lunch just sitting in the sun like a lizard, no heater or jackets needed. It was amazing and I can't wait for the spring. I'll be making this exact same post but in reverse come summer.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Unexpectedly got a work bonus today (it's usually not until mid March), so I'm flush with cash and wanna buy myself an early birthday present. What should I buy? I'm leaning towards a box of Charter Oak Maduros in the Lonsdale size.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Get your first box of Cubans!

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Lyon posted:

Get your first box of Cubans!

I'm thinking about it! I want something I can smoke right away too though...

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Some Padron 1964 Principes are a nice slightly special stick that aren't so pricey you'll feel bad about busting them out.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

you motherfuckers... who's the goto for habanos that can reliably ship to New England? I have to at least look.. Maybe some samplers?

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Samplers tend to be a bit pricey but Cigar Terminal has a decent one (can get one, two, or three of each stick) if it isn’t out of stock. iHavanas and Cigars of Habanos are going to be your two cheapest options typically but they don’t have any information about the cigars on their website other than the name and size so you sort of have to know what you’re looking for.

There are usually some decent specials that pop up each month and the entry level sticks are pretty cheap. The more experienced guys can probably make some good recommendations based on the current sales/specials that are up.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
ihavanas has been reliable for me. Lost a box and they were quick to credit for it. I thought I saw earlier the RyJ Cazadores were good to go fresh

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

Gramps posted:

you motherfuckers... who's the goto for habanos that can reliably ship to New England? I have to at least look.. Maybe some samplers?

If you don’t want to wait go to the onlinehumidor forum and just grab a box/sampler from someone who already has sticks in the US.

You may pay a few bucks extra per stick but at least you don’t have to worry about customs.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Having my last La Aurora Sapphire from the box I bought a few months back. Really stupendous smoke over Earl Grey tea this morning. It has a great Connecticut sweetness overall. There's a fantastic oakiness to it as well, and some nice chewy white chocolate way in the back.

Really superb - can't wait to try the Ruby and Emerald ones soon! I might just commit to buying one box of each of these again per month to have 'em all knocking around.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I ended up smoking a R&J cazzadores last night. It was really good and exactly what I was hoping for in a sub 1 year old stick.

Really strong, a little rough at times but very consistent in flavor.

It’s my go to “give me all the flavor and nicotine right now” smoke.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Cigars of Habanos just put up HDM Petit Robustos 15x2 for $185 with a guaranteed box date of 2017 or earlier. This is a good deal particularly with the guaranteed box dates.

Edit: I’ve been reading some bad reviews of CoH recently for mold particularly on cardboard boxes (like these would be) so keep that in mind I guess. I’ve never had any issues myself with CoH. I ordered them though because I’m a moron and can’t control my spending.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 25, 2021

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

As long as it's white mold, I'm not particularly concerned. I think a lot of folks conveniently ignore that cigars and anything aged is a living culture. And as far as I know, white mold is not the leading cause of cancer among smokers of any type.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
White mold, unless it’s really into the foot of the cigar, is a “meh wipe it off” thing in this household.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
My understanding is that there have been some bad mold problems and that CoH has been extremely bad about replacing/refunding them. Not just some white mold spots that can be easily wiped off type thing.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

No dungeon photos this time, but Nexein and I just had the Plasencia Alma Fuertes paired with some Nikka From the Barrel whisky. The whisky is extremely nice and a very fine example of what Japanese whiskies do well. Very smooth and clean, with really nice sweet caramel and oak notes. Just a beauty. The cigar however was not the flavor bomb I expected. My experience thusfar with super expensive ($20MSRP or more) cigars has been similar to my experience with high end whiskies. The Ashton VSG and the Plasencia were real similar. Not explosive flavor, but very luxurious and smooth to smoke. Think Macallan 18. I tend to go for much more flavorful whiskies like Lagavulin and Ardbeg, and my taste in cigars is very much the same. If you like smoother high end spirits then you will probably really like these cigars. I don't think I'd buy them again at that price, but it was a very enjoyable 2-3 hour smoke.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Man if you haven’t tried a Padron 1964 you really should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Hard agree, the high-end Padron lines I've tried have rich, impressive flavor.