Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Catpetter1981 posted:

Sexual assault "jokes" are extremely bad and uncool.
poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo redacted. Did not mean it like that.

Gomenasai

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grouchio posted:

poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo redacted. Did not mean it like that.

Gomenasai

Edited out your remark from my post too as a courtesy to you.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Y.Y. Hannya is my favorite side character.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Mirage posted:

Y.Y. Hannya is my favorite side character.
:same:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
They got bagels. Oda confirmed for having actually been to NYC.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I feel like the panels in the last one are like out of order

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Sad chapter today.

Poor Komi. I hope this motivates her to go all out.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Will manbagi get her heart broken... :ohdear:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
St Patrick's Cathedral is a very pretty place but I'm not sure if it's the right place for that type of confession.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
It's winter in the manga, right? Five hundred million Bison dollars says that whatever's gonna go down is gonna go down at the Rockefeller Center tree.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I believe in Komi being able to find the best answer.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

MJP posted:

They showed the Oculus, categorically the worst part of Manhattan, nice

Catching up on this thread so this is a few weeks old but wtf

I can only assume you never had to deal with the post 9/11, pre-Oculus WTC PATH "station." Now THAT was awful.

Good luck Manbagi.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
New chapter up. Oh boy.
https://mangadex.org/chapter/1221095/1

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

For Christs sake

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
The chance of a genuine polycule forming is increasing all the time.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Wittgen posted:

The chance of a genuine polycule forming is increasing all the time.

If the author isn't a coward.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Man that’s probably my favorite chapter since the first sports day chapter. Really, really good.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

This comic is really good.

I loved how last chapter, they touched on Tadano liking old buildings. It was something we saw in the Kyoto trip that was a cute point of connection between Komi and Tadano. So last chapter it helped highlight how Manbagis relationship to Tadano is different.

And now in this chapter Manbagis thinks about how similar Komi and Tadano are. It hits better because of this point of connection that was pretty subtly evoked the previous chapter.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

It's so rare that a prolonged confession arc like this is actually engaging, so major props

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
It helps that they're not competing and that nobody's really being strung along. They're all being very honest about themselves and it rules.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Manbagi no... You were so close...

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This is a weird time to have this feeling in this, the high school romance manga, but the way this has been dragged out, built up, and given this much gravitas makes me want to scream that "hey High School is not the be all, end all of your life, there are is going to be other things and times for you to worry about this stuff later." Not hooking up with your very generic Nice Guy protagonist is not going to ruin your life.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Nate RFB posted:

This is a weird time to have this feeling in this, the high school romance manga, but the way this has been dragged out, built up, and given this much gravitas makes me want to scream that "hey High School is not the be all, end all of your life, there are is going to be other things and times for you to worry about this stuff later." Not hooking up with your very generic Nice Guy protagonist is not going to ruin your life.

High school being the one time that you can have Your Very Own Life seems to be a pretty typical theme in Japanese media. After school, the traditional narrative is that people get married, work as an insignificant cog for fifty years, and then go retire on the family farm in the countryside. High school is your last chance to really be an individual.

It doesn't help that this media is subtly aimed at people in their 30s who are just starting to realize that adult society kinda sucks and their own lives peaked in high school.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Who would ever have thought that a high school romantic comedy would put a lot of weight on the romantic hopes and dreams of high schoolers. Truly a shocking、reprehensible twist.

But seriously, I don't think the comic is putting undue weight on these things. There isn't really anything to say her life will be ruined if things don't go well. It's just important to her because that is the kind of story it is and, well, teenagers have been know to spend a lot of time and energy on romantic drama.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

Oh sure, *we* know that, now. It's a lot less obvious when you're there living through it though.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I can't believe these 2 teenage girls, who only just started making friends after being relative outcasts, are giving undue weight to their first crush. I've genuinely never seen this in a manga before.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Agronox posted:

Oh sure, *we* know that, now. It's a lot less obvious when you're there living through it though.

Yeah, everything is so much bigger when you're a teenager. Your first crush is literally the most you've ever loved someone in your life, even if you never got to the point of talking to them. Getting humiliated in front of the class might genuinely be the worst thing that ever happened to you. Kids don't have the experience to see how small a deal most of their school life is because they've never been out of it.

As long as a story can sell that mood then there's nothing wrong with presenting these things exactly how the characters feel about them. And Komi-San is great at selling that mood.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Manbagi trying to confess to Tadano for like three years has collectively been the weakest part of the comic and and at this point she has far more of an emotional/romantic connection with Komi (and Tadano is better with Katai anyway).

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Nate RFB posted:

at this point she has far more of an emotional/romantic connection with Komi (and Tadano is better with Katai anyway).

:hai:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

There are only two possibilities in romance manga, either the lady confesses and all is well, or they don't and they'll kill their crush and anyone threatening to tell them about it before they let them know what's going on.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

New Komi-San Chapter is out!!

"It's okay to have selfish reasons, Komi-Chan."
"Have some faith in your friends."

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

(Am I the only one here who noticed the new chapter?)

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Work was crazy today.

It's a good chapter. This comic is really good at being aware that the stakes aren't as high as the characters sometimes feel they are.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Komi Mangagi Route NoW

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Annointed posted:

Komi Mangagi Route NoW

Whoever proves themselves as the best girlfriend asks Tadano out first.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

RareAcumen posted:

Whoever proves themselves as the best girlfriend asks Tadano out first.
What's this? A new challenger has appeared!

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

A new chapter is out, but I'm not sure where to link it from.

Dammit, another year where nobody gives Tadano friend choco? I thought this year's class liked him. Ase even gave one to Katai and Kometani right there in front of him! And where are you yet again, Onemine?! This poor boy was born to suffer.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Come on Shouko, if you want to win this thing you can’t just keep giving up and then looking sad about it.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

That classic romance strategy of being really hurtful. I mean, pointedly giving chocolate to everyone but one person? Classic bullying technique,.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
*bangs fists on desk* PO-LY END-ING PO-LY END-ING

Ethiser posted:

Come on Shouko, if you want to win this thing you can’t just keep giving up and then looking sad about it.
True to life tho. Komi-san can't confidence