Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

qirex posted:

you were probably talking to a grubhub employee
hah, i did save the phone number on the actual restaurant, in person, when driving by to somewhere else

and something liek that occurred to me in the tech buble thread:

Lysidas posted:

ive taken to using google street view to look at the phone number posted on the restaurant building, to make absolutely sure i am actually calling the restaurant and not a grubdash front

i bet google could make some money letting people bid to replace phone numbers in street view images, using AI to match perspetcive and font

i bet doorhub would love the ability to replace phone numbers like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

rotor posted:

i fuckin love A&W onion rings
they're so good and always have been

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

some of the best onion rings in the world come from moby dick

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

sounds properly american

I worked with a boomer who would go on vacation overseas with her husband and she would go see the sights of Paris or whatever while he would stay in the hotel, watch TV, and eat whatever she brought back for him. lol

i was very disappointed when we visited london and all the pubs had budweiser and poo poo on tap.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

President Beep posted:

i was very disappointed when we visited london and all the pubs had budweiser and poo poo on tap.

nobody in london drinks british beer even the non-american stuff is like staraprova or kroneberg I had to go find weird specialty beer bars to try british beer [the real ale was p bad]

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

nobody under the age of 60 drinks real ale

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Cold on a Cob posted:

3 actually. we voted and sagebrush isn't allowed back

this jibes with my numbers. leaves you, smoka, and kenny.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I don’t know if it’s “real ale” or not but i like a lot of the stuff I’ve never heard of before. i love ale.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I strongly suspect i enjoy what you would think of as old person beer over there.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

you're supposed to ask what real ale is showing well or they'll pour you the old oxidized crap

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

President Beep posted:

I strongly suspect i enjoy what you would think of as old person beer over there.

same

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

you're supposed to ask what real ale is showing well or they'll pour you the old oxidized crap

woah. thank you.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I wish there were great options for vegetarian and local food in the winter here, but that generally implies a diet of hydroponic lettuce, greenhouse tomatoes and cucumbers, and then roots like onions, potatoes and carrots. The one local fruit available is apples. The rest is many varieties of meat.

I guess we're starting to have a bit of province-made tofu at least, so it's gonna get a bit easier, but eating local has forever been putting you on the grandchild of depression-era foods.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Salt and preservatives aren't inherently bad for you.

but they (mostly sodium) override your bodies ability to regulate its own intake

same with added fats and sugar etc

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

echinopsis posted:

but they (mostly sodium) override your bodies ability to regulate its own intake

same with added fats and sugar etc

Are people taking in salt through their toes or some under non-dietary method I wasn’t aware of?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
adding salt to food, compared to with that our taste senses generally evolved to deal with, along with adding fats and sugars, will encourage most people
to over consume

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if junk food was bland, we would eat less of it, and it would be less bad for us because of that

a sad reality is that if you want to lose weight a very good approach is to make your food taste much more ordinary

Apr 7, 2003

Wordy way to say “people eat more food if it tastes good”

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Are people taking in salt through their toes or some under non-dietary method I wasn’t aware of?

i get salt from your posts

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

... if it hits metrics that acted as evolutionary proxies for good food.

Apr 7, 2003

MononcQc posted:

... if it hits metrics that acted as evolutionary proxies for good food.

Salt, fat, and sugar taste good for a reason, yeah.

mystes
May 31, 2006

echinopsis posted:

if junk food was bland, we would eat less of it, and it would be less bad for us because of that

a sad reality is that if you want to lose weight a very good approach is to make your food taste much more ordinary
Just make everyone permanently lose their sense of smell. You could probably eliminate the obesity epidemic overnight.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I’ve got good news about covid then

mystes
May 31, 2006

MononcQc posted:

I’ve got good news about covid then
People on ventilators and corpses also don't eat very much junk food.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

President Beep posted:

woah. thank you.

:cheers:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

literally learned that yesterday so the timing was p deece

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

yeah so the takeaway message is that claiming that the sodium and preservatives in junk food is fine totally misses the point, falling fallacy to food reductionism

what matters is the epidemiology.

to a population : add salt to foods.
result : likely-undesirable weight gain

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i thought junk food was so called because it was high in sugar/salt/fat and low on fibre, protein, and micronutrients

but when i think about it for more than 2 seconds (rare for me) it’s one of those nebulous terms that is abused to make whatever point you need at the time

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mystes posted:

Just make everyone permanently lose their sense of smell. You could probably eliminate the obesity epidemic overnight.

even though almost all of our taste is really smell, the actual basics that our lizard brain listen to don’t require our nose. not only can we taste the salt sugar and fat immediately in our mouth, we also have sensors in our tum tum that can sense a few things like high caloric content and can make the brain associate the food with huge dopamine rewards

since our brains use chasing dopamine to help us work out what to do with ourselves, if our brains know a big dopamine release is coming up if we eat mcdonald’s (for example), well our actions are primed. the dopamine release is proportional to the food reward, which is more than a mammal usually ever has access to, and we become very incapable of regulating our consumption of these foods

if you found a choc bar on the street one day and ate it, the next day you walk down the road your brain is already primed looking for another choc bar

if brain knows mcdonald’s gives dopa, well then when i need to drive from a to b my brain immediately lets me know what’s mcdonald’s i can go past on the way there, since mcdonald’s has placed itself everywhere and so my brain has dozens of primes to get dopa from the clown

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

you also can’t smell salt or sweet

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

qirex posted:

nobody in london drinks british beer even the non-american stuff is like staraprova or kroneberg I had to go find weird specialty beer bars to try british beer [the real ale was p bad]

this is totally wrong, sorry

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Foo posted:

you also can’t smell salt or sweet

yeah that’s my point

you can still touch those lizard brain “this is the most valuable food resource on the planet it must be restricted in its supply so eat as much as you can while you can” bits without smell

Apr 7, 2003

qirex posted:

more like 'real fail'

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Gentle Autist posted:

i thought junk food was so called because it was high in sugar/salt/fat and low on fibre, protein, and micronutrients

but when i think about it for more than 2 seconds (rare for me) it’s one of those nebulous terms that is abused to make whatever point you need at the time

the type of fat matters!! goodnight

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Gentle Autist posted:

this is totally wrong, sorry

feel free to correct me I mean I was only there a week but I went out a lot in a bunch of neighborhoods and even stuff like fuller's seemed rare, I saw more american ipas than british brands

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

british people all drink ultra-sweet kopparbergs cider and nothing else fyi.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

qirex posted:

feel free to correct me I mean I was only there a week but I went out a lot in a bunch of neighborhoods and even stuff like fuller's seemed rare, I saw more american ipas than british brands

I lived there for 8 years and craft beer was a big thing. It's pretty common to have cask ales in lots of pubs, and a lot of it is really good

My local pub (The Victoria in Bethnal Green) always had a couple of goodies. And there were like 4 pubs in walking distance that had great british cask ales or craft beers on tap. I would agree that the highest-volume of beer drank is probably a czech or german lager/pilsener of some kind tho

It took me a while to get a taste british cask ale but now I generally prefer it. thankfully craft beer has had a bit of a moment in NZ too so its not just hyper-fizzy ice-cold "ales" and lagers anymore

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Gentle Autist posted:

hyper-fizzy ice-cold "ales"

:chloe:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

my stepdads beer posted:

the type of fat matters!! goodnight

in what way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

transfats bad, saturated not as bad, poly- and monounsaturated kinda okay(?)