Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Wild EEPROM posted:

also people buying an ipad and replacing it with a brick and then shrink wrapping it closed

puto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RobobTheGreat
Jul 14, 2003

Mind your manners when talking to the king!

Platystemon posted:

the entire distinction between the latin “disc” for optical media and the greek “disk” for magnetic media
never thought about it like that before
:hmmyes:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

RobobTheGreat posted:

never thought about it like that before
:hmmyes:

it’s true, think about how bad and wrong “floppy disc” is

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

we just call them all plates

then again we call plates boardettes

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

Platystemon posted:

split to two discs, duh

that reminds me: the entire distinction between the latin “disc” for optical media and the greek “disk” for magnetic media

programme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtMWEiCdsfc

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

what colour of floppy disc would you like your favorite flavour of programme to come on?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
we call em data pies around here

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Silver Alicorn posted:

i don't believe you Silver Alicorn!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAuDDj4Erpk

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
here in the heartland, everything is either a floppy or a cpu

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
don't copy that floppy!

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

installing that linux os on my sandisk mp3 player and being horrified at the interface and quickly flashing it back

edit: this? https://www.rockbox.org/

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

rockbox owns and you can completely change the interface from clock+song name to MAXIMUM INFORMATION I NEED THE SAMPLE RATE AND BIT DEPTH ALWAYS VISIBLE IN 6PX FONT

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

oh yeah this owns you're right

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

rockbox was really really good in a pre-ipod world. Post-ipod?

Nah.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Silver Alicorn posted:

datums pii

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Fart Sandwiches posted:

no-cd cracks. in college I bought hit man 2 (original obv), installed the no cd crack, re-shrink wrapped the box at the suncoast a friend worked at, carefully reapplied the original price sticker, and returned it.

this also worked with cdrwin to copy PlayStation games at 1x speed in freeware mode to return to electronics boutique.

return policies used to be so permissive and now they're not for some reason 🤨

speaking of no-cd cracks, those mini ISO images that you'd load in Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120% or w/e that weren't the full disc, just enough data to fool the CD checks

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

speaking of no-cd cracks, those mini ISO images that you'd load in Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120% or w/e that weren't the full disc, just enough data to fool the CD checks

i loved those

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

rockbox was really really good in a pre-ipod world. Post-ipod?

Nah.

the worst part was that in their infinite wisdom, rockbox developers decided that the standard ipod controls could be improved upon and they made an entirely new ui and button behaviors

mystes
May 31, 2006

my stepdads beer posted:

installing that linux os on my sandisk mp3 player and being horrified at the interface and quickly flashing it back

I don't think it's linux.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i unironically love when you come across an old open source project that lost relevance in 2005, and it’s still getting daily updates

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wild EEPROM posted:

the worst part was that in their infinite wisdom, rockbox developers decided that the standard ipod controls could be improved upon and they made an entirely new ui and button behaviors

computre people should not be allowed to touch user interfaces.

in the broadest possible interpretation of that sentence.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

3D Megadoodoo posted:

computre people should not be allowed

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

3D Megadoodoo posted:

computre should not be allowed

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

computre should not be

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

3D Megadoodoo posted:

computre people should not interface

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
pretend I empty quoted all the above

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

pretend I empty quoted all the above

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

:chome:book pixel

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!
the little remotes with like fours buttons that came with some college textbooks, so your professor could throw up a quiz on a the projector in a lecture with 200 people.

I had a couple classes that used them in the mid-2000s. we called them clickers. I imagine they just use cell phones these days

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

irpoweroutlet posted:

that came with some college textbooks

God drat textbooks are such a racket.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

irpoweroutlet posted:

the little remotes with like fours buttons that came with some college textbooks, so your professor could throw up a quiz on a the projector in a lecture with 200 people.

I had a couple classes that used them in the mid-2000s. we called them clickers. I imagine they just use cell phones these days

i used a clicker as recently as 2014, op.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

my stepdads beer posted:

rockbox was genuinely great on my old iRiver. It let me just play via folder/file. Also I was able to use the mp3 player like a storage device instead of using lovely sync software

I am genuinely shocked they ported it to the Sansa Clip though. what the hell for? the thing has a half inch display

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
rockbox was good and breathed a lot of life into devices that otherwise would've been trashed

though i'm sure the vast majority of them are, in fact, trashed now

trash world :(

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

irpoweroutlet posted:

if they sold a phone app for $60 per course people would just pirate it, op

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Truman Peyote posted:

if they sold a phone app for $60 per course people would just pirate it, op

no the app is free you have to pay 60 for the access code

per class

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fart Sandwiches posted:

no the app is free you have to pay 60 for the access code

per class
It's this a joke or is it really how it works now because it wouldn't surprise me.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

mystes posted:

It's this a joke or is it really how it works now because it wouldn't surprise me.

it just wouldn't surprise me. my partner's books are all hosted online and they disable copy paste by some insanely obfuscated javascript that I didn't feel like reversing because, ugh javascropt, so i wrote a lil thing that will screencapture each page as you visit it and run it through ocr. I have to do a bit of manual cleanup on it because of images, so i gotta figure out a way to automatically crop out images before attempting the ocr.

universities are just cruelty factories meant toi extract money from students who have no say in the matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

snood