Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Stringent posted:

Weird, I must have uploaded the photo through the iPhone app. Here's the photo again:

What I've done so far is put cuts in the bark above three of the dormant buds down below. I'd love to just go ahead and air layer it, but I don't want the bottom half to die when I cut the top off so I was hoping to get some lower branch growth in first.

oh okay that's definitely grafted so an air layer might not be a great idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
I read through this thread in a couple of days and wanted to say it was delightful to see some of the trees grow over the 4 or 5 years of thread time.

Question for the thread:
I’m getting a house later this year in the southeast San Francisco Bay Area and will likely live there for about 5 years before moving to a final house. I absolutely love Japanese Maples (had one growing up that my dad took with us when we moved around kindergarten time for me) and would want to do something with them down the road after I’ve goofed up 100+ cheap trees. Would my best bet be to buy like 8-10 and throw them in the ground for 5 years until I move again?

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

The North Tower posted:

I read through this thread in a couple of days and wanted to say it was delightful to see some of the trees grow over the 4 or 5 years of thread time.

Question for the thread:
I’m getting a house later this year in the southeast San Francisco Bay Area and will likely live there for about 5 years before moving to a final house. I absolutely love Japanese Maples (had one growing up that my dad took with us when we moved around kindergarten time for me) and would want to do something with them down the road after I’ve goofed up 100+ cheap trees. Would my best bet be to buy like 8-10 and throw them in the ground for 5 years until I move again?

fuckin, go nuts: https://mendocinomaples.com/ Note that approriate species for bonsai aren't exactly the cheapest so 100 is kind of a crazy number, just grab some dwarfs and do your best.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Cutting question. I want to grow some cuttings from what I think is a plum tree in the neighborhood. The tree has these runners growing at the base, and I was wondering if I could take cuttings from there rather than from the branches and have it come out ok. Here are some pictures to illustrate what I'm talking about in case I've got the terms wrong.

Here's the tree:

Here are where the runners are coming up:

And here's a closeup of the flower if that helps identify the type of tree?

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
I'm no ornamental Prunus expert (yet...) but I would have thought that the runners growing up from the base are from the root stock of the tree: so don't use them!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

RickRogers posted:

I'm no ornamental Prunus expert (yet...) but I would have thought that the runners growing up from the base are from the root stock of the tree: so don't use them!

Cool, thanks.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Stringent posted:

Cool, thanks.

in my experience it’s never worth it to start a tree like that. At best, it will take you a loooong time and you probably won’t get the aesthetic/productive result you’d ultimately want. At worst it’ll die, at very worst after you’ve sunk enough time and money into the affair to be embittered about it

Not a bad time to look into plum saplings tho

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Ok Comboomer posted:

in my experience it’s never worth it to start a tree like that. At best, it will take you a loooong time and you probably won’t get the aesthetic/productive result you’d ultimately want. At worst it’ll die, at very worst after you’ve sunk enough time and money into the affair to be embittered about it

Not a bad time to look into plum saplings tho

Appreciate the advice, but what I'm trying to do is start a collection of cuttings from various trees in the neighborhood that I know/like, so it's more for sentimental value than ornamental.

Might still be a dumb idea, I'll take your advice to heart and not sink any money into it beyond basic materials.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Stringent posted:

Appreciate the advice, but what I'm trying to do is start a collection of cuttings from various trees in the neighborhood that I know/like, so it's more for sentimental value than ornamental.

Ohhh I do the same thing

I have a jacaranda air layer that is clinging to life somehow

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

Stringent posted:

Might still be a dumb idea, I'll take your advice to heart and not sink any money into it beyond basic materials.

Sounds fun! I have a bunch of trees in our garden that I am taking cuttings from, for when we move in a couple of years.
Just get some root hormone powder, take cuttings from the crown and follow the normal procedures.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Stringent posted:

oh rad, I assumed you were planning to make a bonsai out of it any time in the next ~10 years

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

Stringent posted:

And here's a closeup of the flower if that helps identify the type of tree?

The striations on the trunk seem to suggest this is a flowering cherry and not plum, if that helps. Also yeah looks like a graft on the trunk as someone else mentioned.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Heads up UK goons, I was doing some early tree shopping and a lot of online shops have straight up stopped selling to the UK due to Brexit, even places with .co.uk websites.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
Been having incredibly humid here lately and my ficus has been taking advantage of it

Got a bit of an escape artist here too

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

You mentioned you might be doing a bonsai chilli plant a while back. Did you get around to it, I was interested in the process

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

NPR Journalizard posted:

You mentioned you might be doing a bonsai chilli plant a while back. Did you get around to it, I was interested in the process

Still all seedings at the moment

Had some super hot weather that nuked my propagator, of the ten seeds 3 remain, I'm waiting till the are larger to put in a bigger planter

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Makes sense, cheers

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
Many more aerial roots this morning

It's going wild

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
it’s that time of the year again!

are there some good easily findable commercial juniper varieties that people recommend?

I’ve got a small procumbens nana broom style I started last year that I’m pleased with and I’ve got two “Sea Green” chinensis that I grabbed over the summer without thinking and frankly they’ve got this terribly lanky adult foliage right now and I have no idea what to really do with either of them

Anyway, I saw some really striking looking blue-foliaged Parsonii the other day but bothered to read up on them more first and found that people didn’t really recommend them on account of foliage sparseness. Not wanting to recreate the same mistakes from the past I’ve passed on them, but they are quite pretty all covered in blue berries with their trunks all pre-bent and visibly gnarly.

Right now I’m hoping to grab something blue point-derived and compact, and a creeping form would be cool too. I haven’t seen any procumbens I’ve liked yet, but I may grab another cheap one to do something different with if I chance upon it.

I’d like to really try some cascade and twin trunk stuff (I’ve kinda let my broom style choose its own path and been pleased with the result, so I want to take these in the opposite direction and really mess with them)

on the picea front, my trees from last year are looking great, not much to do stylingwise this season except maintenance and holding the line. Saw some cool posts about nidiformis so I might take one of them home before they stop selling them (I didn’t see them at all last year). I have a plan to make a weird semi-cascade with the right conica (a lot of them are formed from two trunks making big lobes, I want to find one that’s very hooked and very lobe-y, chop off the lower lobe and put the tree on its side....anyway). Beyond that I’m pretty spruced out at the moment. I can’t really get into the bigger trees that I want because how the gently caress am I going to move from this rental with all of my plants as it is?

otherwise, it might be cool to get my hands on a pine or larch or whatever if I find one

Maybe deciduous trees?

As far as azaleas go, I’ve currently got a shape set for my two. Gonna water them today or tomorrow and do some branch refinement in the next week before their spring foliage really starts to fill in. Also probably slip pot them. They need trunk fattening. My plan for 2021 is to get two similar trees, ideally in different colors, and try cascading one and going tall and “flower tower” with the other

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
A fusion of a bought has been successful

A little bit of wire scarring , but it should fade quickly

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Jestery posted:

A fusion of a bought has been successful

A little bit of wire scarring , but it should fade quickly

very nice! you’ll be making ridiculously choady pyramid trident maples out of wire armature + 200 saplings Doug Philips-style in no time!

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I picked up a castaway at work. Should I pot it regular and let it recover this year or start pruning it back while it's still unpotted?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I went to my local Home Depot with the intent of raiding their new shipment of azaleas and junipers and wound up with exactly one azalea

and this remarkably photogenic little bastard instead (green Japanese maple)

this guy was both the shortest and the best ramified of the bunch, and I’m honestly super happy with the shape and branch pattern it’s already taken.

This is a good looking little tree, so good looking, in fact, that one of the other people in line wouldn’t stop commenting on it.

I’d like to refine and mature this existing shape further- which leads me to the trunk, it’s both too tall and too thin, and also too straight and vertical, but you probably already knew that.

Tree’s about 3’ right now, maybe a smidge shorter. Should my next steps be to focus on shortening the trunk and maybe air layering it down down the road (ie, bringing the branches and canopy down closer to the ground), or keeping it this height and working with the existing trunk—thickening the trunk and slowly widening the canopy?

Am I being too precious about the existing branches? Should my #1 priority be to thicken the trunk and to sacrifice everything on it right now? I’d like to save as many of them as possible if I can. Not really looking to emulate the big fat trident look. But if that trunk were either 40-50% shorter or the tree were a more desirable proportion I’d be thrilled with it and ready to throw it in a pot.

Also- anybody here have experience with sand cherries?

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 9, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
upon further study, I think I’m leaning in the “air layer it in a pot to bring the trunk height down a bit” direction.

Does the cambium layer need to be removed in order to successfully do this? The trunk is quite visibly green. Could I just put the pot+soil around it now without any cutting or hormone powder and get it to start throwing out good roots?

And what can I do to preserve the original roots and trunk if I want to try to get two trees out of this? From what I’ve read, I should be aiming to do the layering ASAP so that I can shoot for an Aug-Sept. separation. I’m assuming I won’t get any fresh branches coming out of the original lower trunk before winter. Just hold onto the stump and hope for the best come spring 2022?

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 9, 2021

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.

This is my Juniper, this is the 3rd season I've owned it. Got it from Nature's Way Nursery near Harrisburg as a starter bonsai in a plastic pot. Even though it's late in the season, I discovered it was badly root bound (it's sibling that used to be in the clay pot died probably for this reason last year) So I decided to risk it and did some emergency repotting. Hopefully it survives, thought you might like to see it.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Is there a knack to getting Juniper cuttings to root? Most places seem to think it's dead easy but none of my procumbens nana cuttings have survived.

Also, is there a difference between indoor and outdoor Chinese Elms other than the environment they're raised in? I've got a bundle of seedlings that are doing very nicely outside (and that's where they'll be staying), but some places talk about them as if there are different varieties, while other places describe them like you could just swap a plant between the garden and house.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I’ve got a ton to post, I’ve been super busy at this hobby all winter and spring. I’ve acquired a ton of plants...maybe—maybe too many.

Anyway, I just spotted my first flower of the two Girard White azaleas I started last year:

I gotta be honest, I’m so immensely proud of this little tree.

Like...as a parent, because I really feel like that was all the tree and I just watered it and moved it and made sure it didn’t die or fall over too much (and pruned it a bunch, but honestly this tree has just seemed to give me everything I wanted with little serious intervention beyond some initial and end-of-summer maintenance)

And here’s a few of my early Senketsu blooms (Lowes, of all places, had a bunch of legit satsukis this year. And AFAICT nice ones too):

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I'm having a go at getting started with dwarf schefflera bonsais. Ordered a regular one online, and as expected it's about half a meter single stalk standard form. I've taken a topical cutting, to hopefully kick start some useful prebonsai, and left the rest to grow. My plan is to keep taking topical cutting from the main plant once I get a decent amount of new growth (hopefully with some splitting as well), and see how that goes.

The plants are cheap as chips online, so it's not much of an investment to try and get started.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Bug Squash posted:

The plants are cheap as chips online, so it's not much of an investment to try and get started.

I wanted a dwarf variegated schefflerra so I spent 20 dollars on one

In the time for shipping I found a non-varigated one at my local mall I could have taken a cutting of

And a variegated on 30 meters from my front door I could have taken a cutting of

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Jestery posted:

In the time for shipping I found a non-varigated one at my local mall I could have taken a cutting of

And a variegated on 30 meters from my front door I could have taken a cutting of

They're not particularly common in the UK, or at least in my part of town. I've seen one in a local library (just as a lanky house plant), but none in local stores for sale.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
Fair

It was not a moral of

"Look around you"

It was a moral of

"I'm a big dumb face guy who likes burning money"

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Jestery posted:

Fair

It was not a moral of

"Look around you"

It was a moral of

"I'm a big dumb face guy who likes burning money"

That's what I thought, no worries.

I've had the exact same experience as you after ordering just about every kind of tree. soon as it's in the mail all of a sudden the local garden centre is stocking enough a plant a forest.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Jestery posted:

Holmes you would’ve spent forever waiting for that sucker to turn into something useful.

At least in my area you tend to find dwarf schefflera, variegated and regular, three different ways:

$4-16: 4”-6” pot, containing 1-4 individual plants, usually 2-3, each probably 4-6” tall

$20-30: 10”-12” pot, containing 1-4 individual plants, usually 2-3, each probably 24-36” tall.

$60-100: tall (5-6’) plants or wide pot containing multiple (6+) plants propagated from thicc woody stem cuttings or aged up.

What I’ve really come to appreciate is how plant pricing doesn’t really scale linearly—it’s more of a function of size/pot size and time—which is different for every type of plant/environment/potting situation/etc, of course.

You might balk at spending an extra $10 here or $50 there or $80 somewhere else until you realize that you might be buying yourself five extra rooted plants and ten years of growth time.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
For what it is worth, here is the schefflerra

Edit
And root on brick progress

Jestery fucked around with this message at 12:20 on May 29, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
welp looks like I killed my favorite juniper leaving it in the 95 degree sun on concrete for a whole day.

It did that all last year, but I guess it was too soon in the season, there’s a golden ring in the middle and a lot of the foliage is crispy and blue

one of my satsukis burned a bit, two of my maples ended up burning some leaves when they fell over for a few hours, in non-bonsai news some euphorbia and monstera and other tropicals /succulents got bad sunburn, on the whole not a great week

however:

the followup to the shot from a few days ago

the getsutoku satsukis are starting to flower

and they’re as radical as I’d hoped

totally worth driving across half the state to find those last few

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jestery posted:

Edit
And root on brick progress

That looks awesome.

People may remember that last year I had a repotting disaster and dropped then stepped on my Azalea. Many reassured me it will be fine and they were right, it has already started to show signs of flowering. Going to do better this year!

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I have done my very first potting, courtesy of the cheap plastic containers from China.

I'll be cleaning up the wires later, I underestimated the thickness of gauge that would be required to bend the trunk away from the camera (it already had that slightly too extreme bend in it).

There's a few branches that will definitely need to come out or be moved around, if it survives. I'm learning as I go, and definitely nervous about moving my tree into a small pot, but it was time to bite the bullet.

Edit: had a rethink today, turned the tree round and took out one of the lower branches and wired the remainder of the pair to bring the foliage into the curve created by the upper foliage. Less trunk visible, but hides some of the uglier bends.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jun 10, 2021

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
I did a little walk through of my garden today because I was feelin it

https://youtu.be/92KR6s4YPMI

:)

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Jestery posted:

I did a little walk through of my garden today because I was feelin it

https://youtu.be/92KR6s4YPMI

:)

Loving the traditional design of your tree stand. I have the same one myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Bug Squash posted:

Loving the traditional design of your tree stand. I have the same one myself.

I have the Australian variety too