Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Gaius Marius posted:

Having completed it, I can now recommend System Shock 2 as a certified good game that's almost as good as Deus ex, almost.

Haven’t played a game with so many panicky “oh gently caress oh gently caress” moments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's so good the inventory is good, but just clunky enough to make using it in combat terrifying. And the Goddamn sound design, those guys shuffling around apologizing as they beat me over the head with lead pipes, absolute top notch.

Not gonna lie thief and SS2 ruined most games sound design for me, I know exactly where and enemy is, how fast he's walking, what he's walking on, and which direction he's facing in those games. I have no idea how we've fallen so far.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Gaius Marius posted:

Not gonna lie thief and SS2 ruined most games sound design for me, I know exactly where and enemy is, how fast he's walking, what he's walking on, and which direction he's facing in those games. I have no idea how we've fallen so far.

You're Friday here and I'm Robinson Crusoe finding a fellow man. I've learned that all the games I really enjoy have incredible sound design as a common denominator, but there's never been a game that did audio like Thief.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gaius Marius posted:

It's so good the inventory is good, but just clunky enough to make using it in combat terrifying. And the Goddamn sound design, those guys shuffling around apologizing as they beat me over the head with lead pipes, absolute top notch.

I'M SOOOORRRRYYYYYY

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So just decided to play this again after ages. Just downloaded the game from GOG, the DX10 thing, and the launcher.
Are there any other good and goon-approved fan-patches and/or texture packs/graphics packs that have come out in the... lord knows how many years since I last played this?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So just decided to play this again after ages. Just downloaded the game from GOG, the DX10 thing, and the launcher.
Are there any other good and goon-approved fan-patches and/or texture packs/graphics packs that have come out in the... lord knows how many years since I last played this?

GMDX but I'm always happy to just play vanilla the way you've already got it installed, (especially if I'm trying to see what sequence breaks and accidental Paul murder sprees I can make happen).

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I agree with that guy

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, like, if you haven’t been playing it nonstop for the last ten TWENTY!?!? years vanilla is fine. It’s one of the best games ever made, you don’t have to change much for it to be fun. I do mods if I’ve been playing it a bunch lately and want to mix things up but I would say the overwhelming majority of my playthroughs have been vanilla.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The thing that always gets me going back to vanilla is the lack of mantling. It just seems like it should've always been there.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gaius Marius posted:

The thing that always gets me going back to vanilla is the lack of mantling. It just seems like it should've always been there.

There were a ton of games in the early 2000’s without mantling for some reason, it was really weird and annoying when you’d eat poo poo because you forgot this game doesn’t let you do that, but that other game did.

One of the best things to happen to games was controls and world interactions like that becoming relatively standard.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
My only real complaint about vanilla DX is how overpowered the regeneration aug is. Swimming skill and Aqualung become useless because you can swim forever by just regen-ing away the drowning damage. Heck, even the tough skin aug is eclipsed by your Wolverine-ish ability to heal bullet wounds instantly.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I feel the problem isn’t that the regen aug was so good but that a lot of the other augs were kind of underwhelming. The regen aug was like “oh, THIS is why nanoaugmentation is such a big deal”. Like, it could have been tuned down a little but a lot of the other augs could have stood to be buffed up.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Original 1.0 regen was even better. It triggered every time you turned it on immediately. So you could just rapid press the key for as much regen as you wanted for very little power use.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That's like popping open the Ps1 cover to regen your whole party in FF9 level abuse

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Bit of both on that imo. The other augs needed to do more, but regen was fully off of the rails. You could flick it on and give zero fucks as 6 guys pumping you full of assault rifle ammo did nothing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I think regen would have worked if it had a regen cap. Like it would heal as quick before but only x amount of total HP per time period. Maybe something where if you took more than X amount of damage with it on, it would enter a cool down. That way you could still face tank a little, but not as well as a straight skin armor aug would (post buffing the armor augs) and primarily would use it for actual healing instead of as an invulnerability cheat.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Also you can't punch people for a set period of time after activating the regen aug.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Personally, I feel like Biomod is what vanilla was meant to be all along, and there's zero reason to play unmodded. Call it the 1.1 patch, if you will.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Xander77 posted:

Personally, I feel like Biomod is what vanilla was meant to be all along, and there's zero reason to play unmodded. Call it the 1.1 patch, if you will.

Minus the nerfed Dragon Tooth and exploration points, I basically agree. There was a point where I preferred Shifter to Biomod but I honestly can't remember what the differences are anymore, just that Biomod incorporated Shifter.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Also you can't punch people for a set period of time after activating the regen aug.

maybe you can’t, but I punch people whenever the hell I want

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

jojoinnit posted:

Minus the nerfed Dragon Tooth and exploration points, I basically agree. There was a point where I preferred Shifter to Biomod but I honestly can't remember what the differences are anymore, just that Biomod incorporated Shifter.
The biggest difference is that Shifter gave you xp for killing people (xp for headshotting bots was still around in the last version of Biomod I played, probably because this is a highly niche combo?)

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
xp for kills is Anathema to Deus Ex, and makes me instantly distrust their judgement. I've not revisited the mod(s) since I saw that.

Yes I know the Jensen games have it, my point still stands.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
it gives you more xp for nonlethal kills. which is why im a shifter user. i've always hated how vanilla is short on xp compared to how much it asks for master for the important skills and giving me xp for exploration and nonlethal kills is right up my alley

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

It didn't feel short on experience to me. I think I usually mastered pistols, hacking, rifles and either electronic or lockpick, then a few pips in the other. Plus a smattering of 1 pips on other stuff. That feels pretty good to me if you want a system that lets you do what you need but not everything. It kept me hungry for xp but not starved.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Yeah, while I'll never complain that HR is too easy for allowing you to max everything, having a system where you can't max everything or it's very difficult to do so is a valid design choice.

Plus I'll never max swimming. NEVER

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I always felt that by the time you got the Dragon's tooth and enough Lams and GEP rockets, most of the skills became pretty ancillary, it's not like the enemies could do anything about the Rocket launching cyborg samurai coming after them anyways.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Most goons aren’t fans but I’m a huge Revision fan myself. I love the updated look of the game, plus it comes with Shifter and Biomod settings.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i didn't say master everything. even with shifter you'll, if you only focus on specific skills you will usually only get the necessaries like melee, lockpicking, computers, electronics, and maybe advanced for a couple others, which is why i say think it's good. with vanilla it always felt hard to master even the least amount of necessary skills. now it feels doable just for the minimum

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
You *don't* need to max lockpicking and electronics (and arguably computers) in Vanilla, it's kinda the entire point that expert-level is prohibitively expensive. There is absolutely enough xp in Vanilla imo. If anything there's not enough 'good' skills that are worth at least a single level, too much stuff like swimming etc.

edit: You're right swimming is a great QoL 1-pointer. What was the one that makes consumable items better, enviromental training? That was disappointing in its practicality.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Feb 25, 2021

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Serephina posted:

You *don't* need to max lockpicking and electronics (and arguably computers) in Vanilla, it's kinda the entire point that expert-level is prohibitively expensive. There is absolutely enough xp in Vanilla imo. If anything there's not enough 'good' skills that are worth at least a single level, too much stuff like swimming etc.
You absolutely could use a single level in swimming and medicine, particularly since they're so cheap.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Swimming is a great skill for subsequent playthroughs, there's some cool poo poo you can swim to.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Just for general QOL a level in swimming is absolutely worth it, if you're the kind of player who likes exploring the environment as much as possible it opens up many more options

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Serephina posted:

What was the one that makes consumable items better, enviromental training? That was disappointing in its practicality.

It's amazing how simple of a tweak is required to make environmental training worth it. I forget which mod it is, but one of them makes it so you can turn off equipment once you've activated it. Suddenly, that ballistic vest can be reused until it runs out, so you can have it on in every fight instead of getting shot twice before it runs out.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Is there a guide anywhere to all of the skill rewards in the base game? I think that I would enjoy that as a 'completionist run' of some sort.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Sorry to double-post, but did Deus Ex Game of the Year get an update recently? It's shown as recently updated on GOG

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Adam did it first and he would have danced.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006