Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I'm enjoying Tact but yeah the gacha sucks super hard. It's just like the other DQ mobile game. The pools are wide and deep. When I was re-rolling on the Killing Machine banner I got a whole bunch of other S ranks before I landed him.

The good news is that I made an alt account on my tablet and got Dragonlord's True Form with the first couple pulls from free gems so that's my main account now.

edit: welp my main account just got 3k gems so I pulled and got DTF lol

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

dragon quest 11 is a fuckin great game, as evidenced by the fact that i just started a new save on the xbox one version despite having like 200 hours in it on my switch and the fact that i'd super not consider myself a jrpg fan.

that said, i really hope they shitcan the bigoted pile of horse poo poo composer for the next game, especially since the soundtrack to dq11 is an extremely weak point of the game. whatever creativity this dude has is clearly long in the past, and his output in this game is not even remotely close to being enough to outweigh what a shitbag he is.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

He's old as poo poo so hopefully nature will do the needful.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

that said, i really hope they shitcan the bigoted pile of horse poo poo composer for the next game, especially since the soundtrack to dq11 is an extremely weak point of the game. whatever creativity this dude has is clearly long in the past, and his output in this game is not even remotely close to being enough to outweigh what a shitbag he is.

The guy owns all the rights to the DQ music so that alone is enough to ensure it never happens unless they redo the music entirely for DQ and fans would probably riot if that happened.

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010
Yeah I hope they bring the new composer on board sooner rather than later, though I’m almost wondering if the dearth of new projects that aren’t mobile games has to do with everyone quietly waiting for Sugiyama to keel over so they don’t have to go out of their way to fire him. I was kind of flummoxed when I started playing through the old games and realized how much of 11’s soundtrack was just lifted from those. I know part of it was that it was an anniversary project, but oof. And since I started with the Switch version I didn’t know how bad the midi versions of the ost were until I checked out gameplay videos of the PS4 version.

Speaking of the older games, I really wish they’d put 4, 5, and 6 on the Switch or Steam or anything that doesn’t have touch controls. I’m enjoying 4 for the most part but I just do not appreciate trying to deal with how squirrelly the controls feel, and I don’t play enough real games on mobile to justify trying to get a controller for it. I guess there’s not a romhack that puts party chat back in the localized DS version of 4, huh...

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Evil Fluffy posted:

The guy owns all the rights to the DQ music so that alone is enough to ensure it never happens unless they redo the music entirely for DQ and fans would probably riot if that happened.

I realize that DQ is not FF but Uematsu only did music for the first 9 games and hasn't been the main composer since then. I know DQ fans are way more traditional than FF fans but I feel like they could get away with it.

On the other hand I feel like Sugiyama being a piece of poo poo doesn't hurt their bottom line much and as long as he's not constantly saying racist nationalist poo poo on social media every day they have no reason to fire him.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DQ is old enough that there are probably oodles of great video composers who played the games in the 80s and carried that influence into whatever their current career is, they could absolutely expand the opportunity to lots of new people. But I guess they won't until he dies.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Elephant Ambush posted:

I realize that DQ is not FF but Uematsu only did music for the first 9 games and hasn't been the main composer since then. I know DQ fans are way more traditional than FF fans but I feel like they could get away with it.

On the other hand I feel like Sugiyama being a piece of poo poo doesn't hurt their bottom line much and as long as he's not constantly saying racist nationalist poo poo on social media every day they have no reason to fire him.

FF music hasn't really been all that amazing since FF9, for what it's worth. :v:

X had some good tracks and as much as I dislike FFXIII, its whole series' battle themes were bangers. The rest... eh.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Framboise posted:

FF music hasn't really been all that amazing since FF9, for what it's worth. :v:

X had some good tracks and as much as I dislike FFXIII, its whole series' battle themes were bangers. The rest... eh.

Until FFXIV. All hail Soken.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Ran Rannerson posted:

Speaking of the older games, I really wish they’d put 4, 5, and 6 on the Switch or Steam or anything that doesn’t have touch controls. I’m enjoying 4 for the most part but I just do not appreciate trying to deal with how squirrelly the controls feel, and I don’t play enough real games on mobile to justify trying to get a controller for it. I guess there’s not a romhack that puts party chat back in the localized DS version of 4, huh...

:same:, I beat 5 on my 3DS years ago and wouldn't mind playing through it again but I don't feel like busting out a handheld that is likely buried somewhere in my office, I'd love to see those three in particular on the Switch

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Framboise posted:

My point was that it would be OK to change composers after 11+ games. Fans would make noise but I highly doubt it would tank sales of a mythical DQ12.

And you can't do much worse than the music in DQ11.

Don't get me wrong, DQ11 is amazing and was easily my GOTY for 2019 and while I didn't hate the music as much as a lot of other people did I agree it was the weakest part.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 23, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Framboise posted:

That's just straight up wrong

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Evil Fluffy posted:

DQ Music is very good at wrecking quiet moments as seen in Builders and DQ Warriors, people having a serious talk while the town theme is blaring in the background really ruins the mood.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

kirbysuperstar posted:

That's just straight up wrong

It's almost like there was a second part to my comment!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Framboise posted:

It's almost like there was a second part to my comment!

Why would that change things? XI, XII, the XIII spinoffs, XIV and XV have some excellent, excellent music.

XIV-1 would as well if it actually matched anything in the game at all instead of Uematsu just being told "eh make some music with no context".

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Are you kidding me? That's exactly why ffxiv 1.0 is the best ff soundtrack!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

FF7 and 9 are the only final fantasies I could name a single track off of that aren't the title theme, Final Fantasy has gotta have the most overblown reputation for great soundtracks of all time.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You don't know Balamb Garden, Battle at the Bridge, Hithos Vinosec, Man with the Machine Gun, Battle against 4 elementals, Kefkas Theme?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I thought I recognized Man with the MAchine gun, but I thought it was the track when you fought Barret's buddy in the prison, So no none of them. I looked up Big Bridge Brawl it was alright but I mean it came out on the same console as...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52k5LMdVO4I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiRIkbeY2Pc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDr_WECA6tk

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

It’s positively stupefying how much better Man with the Machine Gun is than the default VIII battle theme.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gaius Marius posted:

I thought I recognized Man with the MAchine gun, but I thought it was the track when you fought Barret's buddy in the prison, So no none of them. I looked up Big Bridge Brawl it was alright but I mean it came out on the same console as...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52k5LMdVO4I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiRIkbeY2Pc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDr_WECA6tk

This post is not making the point you think it does

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

This post is not making the point you think it does

:shrug: I like it better, gets the blood pumping

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I've only played 5, 8, and 11 but have any of those Sex Appeal attacks ever been worth it?

I've always just defaulted to Oomphing and doing a skill of some kind. It's weird that there's no magic and charm boosting skill you can use for abilities that don't run on strength.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I didn't use any of the Sex Appeal attacks on Jessica because she had Twin Dragon Lash for single-target damage and spells (and whips) for multi-target. However I used some of Jade's MT Allure abilities because she's largely a ST-focused character otherwise and Re-Vamp buffed Charm.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Pink Tornado on Jade is pretty useful in the Trials where you have to split up your party and carefully plan out your AoE. For DQVIII, I maxed Sex Appeal on Jessica for Hustle Dance which has no MP cost at all in that game. The points probably could have been better served elsewhere since the rest of the tree isn't great but it just seemed too good to not pass up essentially an extra Sage's Stone.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

RareAcumen posted:

I've only played 5, 8, and 11 but have any of those Sex Appeal attacks ever been worth it?

I've always just defaulted to Oomphing and doing a skill of some kind. It's weird that there's no magic and charm boosting skill you can use for abilities that don't run on strength.

Short answer is yes but not for the whole game and certainly not endgame other than maybe a couple very specific enemies. They're perfectly fine for charming low and mid tier enemies though. And obviously you have to build their stats toward making them more effective.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I don't see a DQ Tact thread in Mobile Games and I'm too lazy to make one so is anyone else playing this?

I'm having a really good time honestly. The gacha is terrible but it has some really cool and fun features. My favorite is the Battle Road which costs no stamina and requires you to use all your shittiest guys to fight other lovely guys so you can level up and fight slightly less lovely guys. Something fun to do while you wait for stamina to regen and it gives your lovely guys something they can do so they don't just sit there forever doing nothing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I started poking around with Tact today. It's pretty fun so far and I like the idea of a tactics RPG starring Dragon Quest monsters. I rarely stick with anything gacha for long though. The multiple currencies and layered progression systems and random character draws always wear me down sooner than later.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Elephant Ambush posted:

I don't see a DQ Tact thread in Mobile Games and I'm too lazy to make one so is anyone else playing this?

I'm having a really good time honestly. The gacha is terrible but it has some really cool and fun features. My favorite is the Battle Road which costs no stamina and requires you to use all your shittiest guys to fight other lovely guys so you can level up and fight slightly less lovely guys. Something fun to do while you wait for stamina to regen and it gives your lovely guys something they can do so they don't just sit there forever doing nothing.

I've been playing it too, and enjoying it quite a bit. The battles are small scale so they work well on the phone, but are still engaging. I don't generally play gacha games and I'm definitely not putting any money in it, but I have a nice variety of monsters and it's fun to gradually strengthen them. I think I've been pretty lucky. Here are my S and A ranks:

I have all of the B ranks too. Of those I tend to use Knight Aberrant, Cyber Slime, and Drohl Drone a lot. I'm happy with the monsters I have now, so I've started hoarding all my gems to get a guaranteed S rank from stamps in the future. I'm using my tact points for tickets-- those are fun since I can just spend them as I get them. I got my Slimeshroom from one today.

I do wish that the lower rank monsters were more usable in regular content, though. That, or they need to add a higher rank dracky because I love them but my best one is only C rank. Maybe a B rank so I could get one reliably.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Here are my nerds

All this stuff and yet I can't beat event chapter 4 hard mode.

I'm going to grind out as many event medals as I can before the event ends tomorrow and buy stuff from the swap shop.

I won't spend any money on the game either but I guarantee you the gacha will make me quit eventually. Once my DLTF gets power creeped and I can't pull anything better I'll quit. No guarantee A or anything like that really sucks and the banner pools are huge so rates suck.

But for now I'm enjoying the Battle Road a lot. I have some pretty cool lovely guys and it costs very little to rank them up.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Elephant Ambush posted:

All this stuff and yet I can't beat event chapter 4 hard mode.

I got stuck on hard chapter 4 episode 5 for a while, but once I got that episode 6 was actually easier. I ended up leveling more sizz/crack types with resistance to frizz and it made a huge difference. I can't remember exactly which units I used to beat it-- I'm certain it included King She-Slime, Drohl Drone, and Lethal Armor. I think I brought Knight Aberrant for sleep (and because I power leveled them with Battle Road) and Gigantes due to their frizz/zam resistance. My current team for autobattling episode 6 is those first three with Whackolyte and Moosifer.

There's not very much time left, but if you have some exp scrolls and stuff to feed to your Killing Machine and King She-Slime maybe that would help?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Genovera posted:

I got stuck on hard chapter 4 episode 5 for a while, but once I got that episode 6 was actually easier. I ended up leveling more sizz/crack types with resistance to frizz and it made a huge difference. I can't remember exactly which units I used to beat it-- I'm certain it included King She-Slime, Drohl Drone, and Lethal Armor. I think I brought Knight Aberrant for sleep (and because I power leveled them with Battle Road) and Gigantes due to their frizz/zam resistance. My current team for autobattling episode 6 is those first three with Whackolyte and Moosifer.

There's not very much time left, but if you have some exp scrolls and stuff to feed to your Killing Machine and King She-Slime maybe that would help?

I just yolo'd all this today and beat all of hard chapter 4 so I'm good. I was spending most of my time farming hard 3-5 for medals and xp and I guess I ended up with enough levels to beat it all. I also beat the 10k Robbin' 'Ood.

Feels good.

Now I'm just farming hard 3-5 until the event ends so I can get as much stuff from the swap shop as I can.

The slime event doesn't seem great so I might hoard all those gems for a future event and spend most of my time leveling up my other S and A rank nerds so that I have better options in the future.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I'm playing DQT pretty hard. Not pulling on this banner though, aside from freebies. Def gonna level up all my slimes in BR though, King Bubble looks real good.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I started at launch and after trying 7 pulls with no DL it kinda hurt. My main team is wight knight, boss troll, hell gladiator, hybird, with the cosmic chimera and silver apedevilthing as !-ranks that swap spots. Or one of several B-tier healers when necessary.

Grinded the dragon to the full 5 unlocks during the DQ1 event too. It's a fun little game but every DQ game's gacha has sucked and this one isn't going to break the streak. :sigh:

Still, it's a significantly better game than DQM Super Light or DQ to the Stars.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

healthcare pls wojack except it's the game giving me bullshit i don't care about called like "Kathwhackle" instead of Multiheal

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Thinking about jumping into dq11 on PCs uncle the definitive edition released.

Are there any graphics tweaks you can do in configs to make it pertier? I know it had some downgrades for switch and this was supposedly a straight port of that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Tabletops posted:

Thinking about jumping into dq11 on PCs uncle the definitive edition released.

Are there any graphics tweaks you can do in configs to make it pertier? I know it had some downgrades for switch and this was supposedly a straight port of that.

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Dragon_Quest_XI_S_-_Definitive_Edition#Improve_graphics_quality

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Holy poo poo thank you. I always forget pcgamingwiki exists.

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004
I'm finally getting around to starting DQ11 myself. Would anyone recommend if I should play it in the normal 3D mode or it is fine to go 2D for the whole thing? Any other recommendations as far as difficulty level or draconic settings for the first playthrough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

Tabletops posted:

Holy poo poo thank you. I always forget pcgamingwiki exists.

why don't you bookmark the site (٥↼_↼)