Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

Ideally you wanna match your speakers, at least to the same family. It's not really very important with surrounds, but my concern is that Klipsch are famously pretty sensitive and also tonally kind of bright. They may not play 100% nicely with your Andrew Jones. Try looking for speakers close in terms of sensitivity.

Hell, for the money I'd maybe wait for a Jamo S-8XX series package at $230 deal and replace the whole kit and caboodle, but that's me.

I been eyeing the Jamos line for my entire replacement next holiday season. So maybe I'll start there. Thanks!

*edit*
Are the Jamo bookshelves really that much better than the AJ towers? Cause man that price is tempting to jump on for a full replacement as you were suggesting.
https://www.amazon.com/Jamo-Studio-803-HCS-WH-Cinema/dp/B07JJP96NT/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=jamo&qid=1614014930&sr=8-2&th=1

As a note, I went with Towers in the AJ for my front because I do listen to 2 channel content. My setup is multipurpose 50% game, 25% Movie, 25% Music. I worry that the music side will suffer moving from a full tower to a bookshelf setup for the 2 channel bit.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That's what I love about Klipsch. They make you feel *there*.

Got a pair of The Sixes a few weeks back. They are mostly being closed out right now at $500 for a pair. Really great sounding speakers for an audio setup. Oh....and they look really sharp.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Any recommendations for a slim (height) receiver?

It's for our living room, it's unlikely to ever be more than 3.1 given the layout and I'm planning on doing a full home theater in another room but I've got some nice floor standing speakers and sub so I don't want to just get a fancy soundbar. I have an older onkyo receiver that doesn't fit in the new entertainment center obviously and 10 y/o plasma I'd like to upgrade to a 4k something or other so I'm thinking of just buying a new receiver that does 4k.

I've seen yamaha and marantz have a slim receiver but I haven't kept up with who the good brands are. I'd like to avoid the shipping back for warranty work I had to do 3 times for the Onkyo..

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 24, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Mr. Crow posted:

Any recommendations for a slim (height) receiver?

It's for our living room, it's unlikely to ever be more than 3.1 given the layout and I'm planning on doing a full home theater in another room but I've got some nice floor standing speakers and sub so I don't want to just get a fancy soundbar. I have an older onkyo receiver that doesn't fit in the new entertainment center obviously and 10 y/o plasma I'd like to upgrade to a 4k something or other so I'm thinking of just buying a new receiver that does 4k.

I've seen yamaha and marantz have a slim receiver but I haven't kept up with who the good brands are. I'd like to avoid the shipping back for warranty work I had to do 3 times for the Onkyo..

If it’s only ever going to be 3.1, just keep it at 2.0/2.1/2.2 and get a good stereo receiver or amp. Lots more options at both full height and slim and better sound & performance for the money. It would also open up mini amps/mini receivers/possibly even some class D poo poo to consideration.

Do you have a budget?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Ok Comboomer posted:

If it’s only ever going to be 3.1, just keep it at 2.0/2.1/2.2 and get a good stereo receiver or amp. Lots more options at both full height and slim and better sound & performance for the money. It would also open up mini amps/mini receivers/possibly even some class D poo poo to consideration.

Do you have a budget?

I have to agree with this. There's a lot to be said for the phantom-center speaker. It just sounds more clean, partly because you need to have a decent room setup for it to work but also because there's just less to gently caress up. Not to mention that you can watch or listen to literally anything in any format with this setup and it sounds natural. Spotify session? Good. Your Netflix stream doesn't have 5.1 as a option? Even better.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Mr. Crow posted:

Marantz and Yamaha are pretty much it for slim AVRs and Yamaha hasn't updated theirs in 3? years, it doesn't have eARC [neither does the Integra DSX-3 which is Onkyo but they're struggling right now]. The Marantz are pretty full featured but cost as much as full size models, there is the NR1200 stereo model which pops up on AC4L occasionally. A lot of dedicated stereo gear lacks proper bass management so integrating the sub will be difficult, something like a Sonos Amp or Bluesound Powernode would work but also cost as much as an AVR.

Tewdrig
Dec 6, 2005

It's good to be the king.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I have to agree with this. There's a lot to be said for the phantom-center speaker. It just sounds more clean, partly because you need to have a decent room setup for it to work but also because there's just less to gently caress up. Not to mention that you can watch or listen to literally anything in any format with this setup and it sounds natural. Spotify session? Good. Your Netflix stream doesn't have 5.1 as a option? Even better.

I did a 2.0 system with some floor speakers and music sounded great. The phantom center worked fine for head-on viewing but ultimately I wasn’t happy with how dialogue sounded in other positions around the living room. My room is not set up for good acoustics and seating positions so I’m sure that’s a lot of it. After about six months I got a center speaker and am perfectly happy with a 3.0 system. The dialogue is spread around the room better and I was able to turn the volume down considerably and still pick everything up. Great for watching tv after the kids go down.

But there’s no reason not to go 2.0 to start with, I agree. I was able to determine I wasn’t really happy with just two and also save up money for a center. Been going over a year now and still very happy with the 3.0 setup.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I ended up pulling the trigger on this Sony receiver that seems alright and squeaks in my height requirement by a quarter inch.

I already have the 2.1 setup and the room is a huge open wood floor echo chamber so I wanted to get a dedicated center. I also have about 4 other devices to connect hdmi to so a dedicated home theater receiver would be optimal, thought I've never looked into stereo receivers much.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

falz posted:

Can anyone recommend a non lovely ground loop isolator for a sub? I have hum due to sub being on a different circuit or whatever.

I have one of those $10 1" wide cylinder ones made for car audio, doesn't work great but had it already.

Most on Amazon are like that, but then they jump up in price like this one, which maybe would work?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GG1PK5W/

Looking to eliminate hum obviously, but also have the auto on/off feature work again. It's just always on due to this.

So I got this and it doesn't work at all. I replaced my old style car-audio style one (radio shack) with this and it's exactly the same as if it didn't exist at all.

Looking for some troubleshooting tips, so far I'm going to try these two things, in this order:

1) temp run an extension cord to sub so it's on same outlet as receiver. Test with and without isolator (it was this way when i moved in and fine, so i expect it to work)

2) Plug sub back in where it is now, but test a new temp RCA cable across the floor. The one I'm using now is quite thin to fit it down and across unfinished basement (probably 12' ?)

3) ?? unsure what else would be next other than RMA'ing the one i just received in case it's bad?

The only other thing that comes to mind is to spend even more and get a wireless transmitter for sub audio, like this, which seems picky depending on how busy 2.4ghz is in your area (its fine in my suburb hell)

https://www.amazon.com/SVS-SoundPath-Wireless-Audio-Adapter/dp/B07F6WLWSR/

And lastly, my sub is cheap but fine, it was probably $150 a long time ago. Random google searches show some subs with built in wireless? Obviously this is spending a lot more to solve this annoyance but ?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0HJEOX/

falz fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 5, 2021

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Is the Pro-ject Juke Box S2 any good for a hi-fi/vinyl newcomer? There are precious few reviews of it online. I'm trying to build a system that fits entirely within an old writing desk, so the space saving aspect of having everything in one box is a plus, and the eucalyptus model absolutely fits the aesthetic I'm going for.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Wachter posted:

Is the Pro-ject Juke Box S2 any good for a hi-fi/vinyl newcomer? There are precious few reviews of it online. I'm trying to build a system that fits entirely within an old writing desk, so the space saving aspect of having everything in one box is a plus, and the eucalyptus model absolutely fits the aesthetic I'm going for.

It’s pretty expensive and I don’t know a thing about the cartridge it comes with (maybe it’s great, maybe it stinks, maybe replacement stylii are super expensive, etc...), but if space saving is your top priority it probably does what you need. Although if space saving is your top priority, can I interest you in an iPod?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
How much is it? I can’t imagine that the amplifier they have in there is particularly good

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ok Comboomer posted:

How much is it? I can’t imagine that the amplifier they have in there is particularly good

It’s $700

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

falz posted:

So I got this and it doesn't work at all. I replaced my old style car-audio style one (radio shack) with this and it's exactly the same as if it didn't exist at all.

Looking for some troubleshooting tips, so far I'm going to try these two things, in this order:

2) Plug sub back in where it is now, but test a new temp RCA cable across the floor. The one I'm using now is quite thin to fit it down and across unfinished basement (probably 12' ?)

I think this is probably your next best bet. Poorly shielded cable possibly? Try to make sure the cable is not running parallel to other cables, especially power.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I'm just looking at options for fitting everything I want (vinyl and streaming from phone) inside the desk. I guess another option would be an upright receiver like the NAD D and a turntable with a smaller footprint like the Pro-ject Elemental

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Wachter posted:

The cartridge is a rebranded Ortofon OM10, which is a step or two above what usually gets preinstalled on new turntables. That also means it should take just about any replacement OM stylus, as long as you can live with a black stylus on a blue cartridge. Ortofon have been making OM cartridges and styluses for decades and they'll probably continue to do so for a long time. Odds are you'll never have to worry about availability of replacements and if they eventually do become unavailable, the tonearm has a standard mounting that will fit any other cartridge.

The amplifier is 2x50W at 4Ω, which is not massive, but should do just fine as long as your speakers are reasonably efficient and/or you don't want to play at concert volume.

It is a bit expensive, but for an all-in-one device with what looks to be decent quality components, I don't hate it.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Wachter posted:

I'm just looking at options for fitting everything I want (vinyl and streaming from phone) inside the desk. I guess another option would be an upright receiver like the NAD D and a turntable with a smaller footprint like the Pro-ject Elemental

I'm a big fan of the Elemental. I'm only selling mine now because the stylish exposed minimalism is incompatible with kittens (anyone want to buy one with a slightly chewed finger lift? :v:)

I know there's an overpriced cover but I'd rather get a bigger one with a built in hinged lid. But I like their stuff generally.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wachter posted:

If you're going to be stuffing stuff inside of a desk and hiding the components then there's a lot of other options, price points, form factors, etc that you could consider. Hell, you could saw a rectangle into the back of the desk, screw on a class D plate amp from Parts Express and be off to the races. Or drop in a $130 SMSL mini amp with bluetooth built in. Or you could screw in some fancier OEM-grade amp modules. Or you could buy a solid consumer reciever/amp and just wedge it in there like your original plan. It all depends on what you want the final product to look, behave, perform, sound like, and cost. Keep in mind that most consumer electronics are built with some amount of ventilation and temperature range in mind, so maybe stick to low-heat output stuff if you plan on really burying it inside the desk.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Nah I don't think heat's an issue since I don't plan on using it when the desk is shut, and I don't want to hide anything. It's got to fit in this boy here:

Those compartments at the back are coming out, and I'd like my entire setup to fit between those speakers and before the hinge of the folded out door so I can set a laptop on front for parties when the Chaos Era ends. That gives me 45cm/18" wide by about 40cm/16" deep. I'd rather not stack a table on top of a receiver, since I heard that's a bad idea due to interference and such? I think the eucalyptus Juke Box would look the tits on all that dark wood too.

The old Tannoy speakers are for size reference; I'll eventually get some slightly shorter ones that'll fit back under the hood so the whole thing can be closed when not in use.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wachter posted:

Nah I don't think heat's an issue since I don't plan on using it when the desk is shut, and I don't want to hide anything. It's got to fit in this boy here:

Those compartments at the back are coming out, and I'd like my entire setup to fit between those speakers and before the hinge of the folded out door so I can set a laptop on front for parties when the Chaos Era ends. That gives me 45cm/18" wide by about 40cm/16" deep. I'd rather not stack a table on top of a receiver, since I heard that's a bad idea due to interference and such? I think the eucalyptus Juke Box would look the tits on all that dark wood too.

The old Tannoy speakers are for size reference; I'll eventually get some slightly shorter ones that'll fit back under the hood so the whole thing can be closed when not in use.

if you like the juke box, just get that. You’ll clearly need the smallest amplifier possible anyway.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Wachter posted:

since I heard that's a bad idea due to interference and such?

No. You wouldn’t want to put a turntable on top of speakers, and you may have rumble issues with one in between speakers like that if they’re not isolated from each other, but on top of a receiver is fine from that point of view. Ventilation might be the bigger issue, but not a show stopper.

Not trying to discourage you either. It looks like a cool project. Rumble might not be an issue at all, or not at normal volumes. It will be a try it and see situation, and if you have an issue there are things you can do to isolate the turntable.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 5, 2021

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Yeah I figure gently caress it, I can always move stuff around if it doesn't work. Big thanks to everyone for your advice.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Huh, Danley are apparently releasing a set of floorstanders for home use.

https://tomdanley.com/hyperion/

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Those look awesome. I bet they will cost a billion dollars.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

falz posted:

1) temp run an extension cord to sub so it's on same outlet as receiver. Test with and without isolator (it was this way when i moved in and fine, so i expect it to work)

3) ?? unsure what else would be next other than RMA'ing the one i just received in case it's bad?

The only other thing that comes to mind is to spend even more and get a wireless transmitter for sub audio, like this, which seems picky depending on how busy 2.4ghz is in your area (its fine in my suburb hell)

https://www.amazon.com/SVS-SoundPath-Wireless-Audio-Adapter/dp/B07F6WLWSR/

And lastly, my sub is cheap but fine, it was probably $150 a long time ago. Random google searches show some subs with built in wireless? Obviously this is spending a lot more to solve this annoyance but ?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0HJEOX/

Ok I did my tests:

Extension cord to same outlet as receiver = hum
Unplug rca cable on receiver but leave plugged in on sub = hum

I think this definitively says my wire is crap or hitting something possibly.

I'm going to investigate those wireless transmitters or a wireless sub as a proper fix which will give me more freedom to place it elsewhere later in the future. This is a polk psw10 which looks like is just over $100, I've had it for who knows how long.

So, if anyone has a reasonably priced sub with built in wireless or a recommendation of one of those transmitters, I'm all ears.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

no, stop, I already got into Tekton this week

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

falz posted:

Ok I did my tests:

Extension cord to same outlet as receiver = hum
Unplug rca cable on receiver but leave plugged in on sub = hum

I think this definitively says my wire is crap or hitting something possibly.

I'm going to investigate those wireless transmitters or a wireless sub as a proper fix which will give me more freedom to place it elsewhere later in the future. This is a polk psw10 which looks like is just over $100, I've had it for who knows how long.

So, if anyone has a reasonably priced sub with built in wireless or a recommendation of one of those transmitters, I'm all ears.

Does it still do it if you unplug the cable from the subwoofer end? If it stops when you unplug it then you've probably got the mains noise I mentioned somewhere else in this thread.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

brand engager posted:

Does it still do it if you unplug the cable from the subwoofer end? If it stops when you unplug it then you've probably got the mains noise I mentioned somewhere else in this thread.
It does not. So I decided to just run a new wire yesterday after taking the new long wire (laying in floor) just plugging it in, no hum.

So I run that wire properly thru basement, hum!

So here's the deal. My sub has stereo like input for some reason, AVR normal mono out. I've been using a y cable at sub end feeding both inputs.

With the y cable attached I get hum, without I don't! So gently caress it I'm just feeding the left input and it seems fine now. Didn't test this before running a new cable. So it some convo of both inputs being bridged to a cable. Shrug.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Subs with stereo in are supposed to be hooked up with just the L channel if you have a dedicated sub out on the receiver. The stereo inputs are only there for receivers without a dedicated sub out.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Everything gets summed to mono in the sub anyway. All you do with a Y-cable is gain +3dB, because you're summing together two identical signals.

It could be useful if your receiver doesn't quite put out a high enough signal level for the sub's amplifier, but that would be a substandard receiver in that case.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah but it was obviously causing issues so :shrug:

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Yeah the actual docs (and my logic) thinks y cable. The level is definitely lower but fine.

Its an onkyo receiver that's about 3 years old, has one of those mics for setup where it "listens" and sets speaker levels. I'll redo that and then tweak knobs on subwoofer as needed.

Next sub ill definitely get a wireless one, perhaps that $300 klipish, or one of the monoprice under couch ones.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

falz posted:

Yeah the actual docs (and my logic) thinks y cable. The level is definitely lower but fine.

Its an onkyo receiver that's about 3 years old, has one of those mics for setup where it "listens" and sets speaker levels. I'll redo that and then tweak knobs on subwoofer as needed.

Next sub ill definitely get a wireless one, perhaps that $300 klipish, or one of the monoprice under couch ones.

I wouldn't.

TBH it's probably just that Y cable too. If you tried a different one it might be better shielded. But going from the Sub-out on the reciever to the Mono-in on the sub is the best choice here.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I managed to find a Yamaha RX-V6A in stock at bestbuy.com to go with my new 4K TV and PS5. That 8K future firmware update for all inputs sounds pretty future proof to me. How good is Yamaha at delivering on their promises?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

kid sinister posted:

I managed to find a Yamaha RX-V6A in stock at bestbuy.com to go with my new 4K TV and PS5. That 8K future firmware update for all inputs sounds pretty future proof to me. How good is Yamaha at delivering on their promises?

Good

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KillHour posted:

Yeah but it was obviously causing issues so :shrug:

What I was trying to say is that a Y-cable is completely unnecessary, except in certain edge cases where the receiver signal level is too low and/or the subwoofer amp needs more signal to reach full output.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

kid sinister posted:

The chipset they're using has a hardware fault but they may be able to get around its problems for the XBox with support from Microsoft. The PS5 works fine at 4K120. It will never properly support 8k60/120 at 48Gbps but there is no content for that anyway. As far as the additional 2.1 features like ALLM, VRR, QFT, etc. I imagine they'll get there but they don't support all [any?] of that now. Connecting straight to your TV and using eARC is still the best current solution for gaming.

All that said there's no receiver you can buy right now with better 2.1 support, everyone's in the same boat.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

What I was trying to say is that a Y-cable is completely unnecessary, except in certain edge cases where the receiver signal level is too low and/or the subwoofer amp needs more signal to reach full output.
It's the sub designers fault for having stereo input for it imo. Should just be mono in, problem solved.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

falz posted:

It's the sub designers fault for having stereo input for it imo. Should just be mono in, problem solved.

You need it for receivers without a sub out otherwise you'll just get the bass from one channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, it's for putting the sub on a pre-out for amps with no bass management.

Some subs have high-pass filtered outputs to feed back to the amp, so your main speakers don't double the bass played by the sub. Some have speaker-level inputs/outputs for amps without pre-outs. All of this needs to be in stereo, for obvious reasons :)