Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

You could absolutely sell them through a storefront imvho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Hey NTRabbit to put an idea on how late the heat treatment guy was, I got these back Monday, almost 2 full months after I'd asked for them to be done

I gave it a quick scuff with some sandpaper to clean off the oxide layer from heat treatment. I think I'm going to give this to my intern at work when he finishes up in June as a little thank you present :D

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Jaded Burnout posted:

`there wolf`, I'm afraid I'm going to have to call time on your hand-made gift. There's now been enough failures in key parts that I'd have to start over, and I don't have the time or material. The quilting rulers will have to be the main gift, I hope you get good use out of them!

Well the rules have been quite useful so far, so no hard feelings. I can sympathize with a project just crapping out on you at every turn since Ive been working on a quilt for my cousin for the last 2 months, an loving up pretty much every step of the way resulting in redos upon redos. If someone every asks me how I spent the first part of 2021, I'm just going to say in a sunk-cost fallacy.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

As if to taunt me, the box arrived back here today, mere hours after I posted about it. Whelp.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Shame Boy posted:

As if to taunt me, the box arrived back here today, mere hours after I posted about it. Whelp.

Hey now, at least you got it back.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

omg honey light

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Holy poo poo that thing is rad as hell and I would have loved that!!! If it by any chance makes it back to you, PM me, I'll pay for another try of delivery! I'll prepare the parcel service this time, as it's basically them who hosed up (sat at their office for two weeks with no notification at my place, and since I didn't knew something was coming, I didn't check there).

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

tuo posted:

Holy poo poo that thing is rad as hell and I would have loved that!!! If it by any chance makes it back to you, PM me, I'll pay for another try of delivery! I'll prepare the parcel service this time, as it's basically them who hosed up (sat at their office for two weeks with no notification at my place, and since I didn't knew something was coming, I didn't check there).

It arrived like 4 hours after I posted, it's sitting next to me right now :v:

Still works, not even scratched, though the box it was in had several sides crushed and a big gash in it. Managed to survive a trip across the world and back though so I guess I can't really fault it. Anyway I'll PM you tomorrow and figure something out.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oh I almost forgot, I also drew a bee logo in my EDA software for the main circuit board that I like quite a bit. Here it is on one of the spare boards:

...okay it's not actually that impressive but I liked drawing it :colbert:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

That whole thing rocks!

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

McSpergin posted:

You could absolutely sell them through a storefront imvho

Yep, I’d jump on a kit with the STLS to print your own case.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Might be able to make it a kit, however the circuits are all surface-mount components since I prefer them but they're kinda a pain in the rear end if you don't have the right tools or aren't great at soldering. Also I'd need to source some different diffuser material, since there isn't much left of the stuff from the TV (part was damaged to begin with, and I made a few prototype diffuser sheets with it too).

Everything's up on Github if anyone wants to look at the things though:

https://github.com/ShameBoi?tab=repositories

I also deployed the editor to gh-pages so if you wanna play around with that it's here: https://shameboi.github.io/honeylight-editor/

Should get around to adding more features to it but I'm kinda burned out on this project right now so oh well.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

So postmortem, seeing as we’re the forum that leaves their decorations up way too late (I just unstuck this thread today 😅) what worked well and what can we do better?

Obviously international shipping is a nightmare and a way for santa and santee to message anonymously would make things easier, but does anyone have anything else that was either run well or that they’d like to change for 2021?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

We can't do a postmortem yet, Honeylight is still on the way to tuo for the third time :argh:

Happy Aprilmas, tuo

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Honeylight finally, finally fuckin' made it there. Tuo PM'd me and mentioned he was gonna do a thank you post but he seems like a busy dude and hasn't gotten to it yet, so sorry I'm stealing your scoop :v: Thanks for putting up with this whole bullshit process though, I'm glad you like it!

Mostly just wanted to say one thing we could do better next time: probably should share the tracking information with the recipient when it ships, so they can monitor it. I don't think that would ruin the surprise, cuz you still don't know what it is or really who sent it. The first time Honeylight made it out of customs, on my end USPS tracking showed it as successfully delivered, while on Tuo's end DHL had actually held it at some warehouse and then sent it back. Since he didn't know he should be looking for it, he wasn't aware any of this was happening until I started posting about it long after the box had already started on its way back here.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

omg honeylight

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I can't find my loving microSD-Adapter! I already programmed the thank you, it's right there....I just need to get hold of a microSD-Adapter to put it on the honeylight!!! I'm on it, I swear!

PS: the honeylight is totally awesome! Stay tuned!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

tuo posted:

I can't find my loving microSD-Adapter! I already programmed the thank you, it's right there....I just need to get hold of a microSD-Adapter to put it on the honeylight!!! I'm on it, I swear!

PS: the honeylight is totally awesome! Stay tuned!

I was literally thinking as I packed the thing, "should I throw in a micro SD adapter... nah everyone has one of those these days, it'll be fine" :v:

Still real glad it made it and glad you like it :shobon:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Shame Boy posted:

Honeylight finally, finally fuckin' made it there. Tuo PM'd me and mentioned he was gonna do a thank you post but he seems like a busy dude and hasn't gotten to it yet, so sorry I'm stealing your scoop :v: Thanks for putting up with this whole bullshit process though, I'm glad you like it!

Yay! I'm so glad it finally showed up!

quote:

Mostly just wanted to say one thing we could do better next time: probably should share the tracking information with the recipient when it ships, so they can monitor it. I don't think that would ruin the surprise, cuz you still don't know what it is or really who sent it. The first time Honeylight made it out of customs, on my end USPS tracking showed it as successfully delivered, while on Tuo's end DHL had actually held it at some warehouse and then sent it back. Since he didn't know he should be looking for it, he wasn't aware any of this was happening until I started posting about it long after the box had already started on its way back here.

That's something on my list to address this year for sure! Hopefully (and I say that because I already bought the domain) we'll have a SASS-esque automated system this year. But even if not I'll be forwarding out tracking numbers as soon as I get them.

corgski fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 23, 2021

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Finally got my hands on a MicroSD adapter, and I know I'm not the most creative person on the planet, but still, the message stands: Shameboy rocks!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmRilp8Mlhs

Sitting on our honey creamer, and overall attracting customers to our little honey shop!!!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

tuo posted:

Finally got my hands on a MicroSD adapter, and I know I'm not the most creative person on the planet, but still, the message stands: Shameboy rocks!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmRilp8Mlhs

Sitting on our honey creamer, and overall attracting customers to our little honey shop!!!

:woop: I am so, so glad you like it and were able to get it working with your own stuff. :woop:

The firmware's a little janky but it should do a pretty good job of just running uninterrupted, and like I said if it encounters a fatal error it just resets into the default rainbow pattern which looks pretty good on its own. I left it running some test patterns uninterrupted for a couple days before sending it out just to make sure it didn't catch on fire or anything and it didn't crash and barely got warm so I think it should be good for a store display. I still have enough stuff to make a second one and plan on doing that whenever I get back around to it since I liked this whole thing a lot, no idea when that'll be though, but once I do I can work on some of the stuff I had to cut for time.

Anyway thanks again for putting up with all the crazy bullshit it took to get it there. I'm super happy it all worked out eventually and my dumb toy idea is being put to a great use :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

It's shining the honey light into the world since couple days now without a problem! One customer already asked about it ;)