Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

speaking of cheese, the Costco cannelloni (with ricotta and spinach) wasn’t bad. But it had bell peppers in the filling which made it taste oddly like enchiladas to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The last few years have pretty much shown that a lot of the "eggs/cheese/meat/fat=heart disease" research had been astroturfed by the sugar lobby to convince people eating a few hundred grams of "added sugar" every day was perfectly healthy and fine.

Costco sells some pretty good cheese. Their brie is good, as are most of the snacking cheese packs. I've seen some prepackaged cheese boards with 3-4 different varieties I've avoided just because it's fairly expensive and I'm not a fan of the hard crumbly cheeses.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

pentyne posted:

How are the vacuum cleaners at Costco?

For what a good one costs I'm not really willing to order online; I need a storefront I could return it to if it's not up to spec.

I didn't buy from Costco but I will say I love my Miele and I think bagless vacuums are crap.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

pentyne posted:

For what a good one costs I'm not really willing to order online; I need a storefront I could return it to if it's not up to spec.

I got the Shark Navigator eight years ago and it has held up well.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
finally got around to trying the street tacos prepared meal thing. it was pretty good for being only 12$ the salsa tasted like marinara though so i replaced it with some i had already.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

pentyne posted:

Any of the gun-type Dysons are really excellent at what they do. I like them much more than the more traditional upright/bagged models.

If you don’t end up digging it you can return it

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
I bought one of those Dysons at the 'Co a few years ago. The one with the sphere bottom. It was the last one and marked down. It's neat. It does a good job. Came with a ton of attachments but no... attachment management system to speak of. Like, my wet/dry vac has little compartments and hidey holes to store brushes and such, but the Dyson is the vacuum and that's it. We have a dedicated accessory bag for brushes and extenders and all that. Does a great job with hair, and the roller is easy to take out to de-hair. Emptying the dust bowl is a little messy sometimes, but the filter is machine washable, which is kinda cool.

The downside is that the thing feels both super rugged and dainty at the same time. There are bits I look at and say, "yeah, that's gonna snap any day now and will be impossible to replace." That day never seems to come, though.

Not that you asked, but we recently upgraded our 14-year-old Roomba from Costco. The old one did a job. Not good, not bad. I replaced pretty much everything replaceable over the years. We ran it 3x weekly on hardwoods to pull up hair and cheerios and to encourage folks to pick up their headphones. The new one has the full run of our main floor. It's probably 5 times louder than the old one on the hardwood, but Jesus H. Christ does it pick up dirt. Stand too close to it and you can feel hot air shooting up out of one of the Roomba's vents. The first couple weeks I had to go and empty the thing mid-clean a couple times and the dust bin is pretty f'ing big. Turns out the new Roomba can fit under our queen-sized bed, and merrily sucks up dust that's been there since Nixon was in the White House (Not really). It'd be super solid if we left the house as a group more than once a... if we left the house as a group. Soon!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Do seasonal items normally go out of stock online while they're available in the store?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Do seasonal items normally go out of stock online while they're available in the store?

Yeah they can.

From what I’ve seen though is that the only thing that’s left in store are the whack sizes.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

fischtick posted:

I bought one of those Dysons at the 'Co a few years ago. The one with the sphere bottom. It was the last one and marked down. It's neat. It does a good job. Came with a ton of attachments but no... attachment management system to speak of. Like, my wet/dry vac has little compartments and hidey holes to store brushes and such, but the Dyson is the vacuum and that's it. We have a dedicated accessory bag for brushes and extenders and all that. Does a great job with hair, and the roller is easy to take out to de-hair. Emptying the dust bowl is a little messy sometimes, but the filter is machine washable, which is kinda cool.

The downside is that the thing feels both super rugged and dainty at the same time. There are bits I look at and say, "yeah, that's gonna snap any day now and will be impossible to replace." That day never seems to come, though.

Yeah, if you look behind the curtain a bit Dyson hasn’t updated any of their rolling designs in several years—they’ve said outright that they think the rechargeable gun vacuums (which also don’t come with onboard accessory storage, but it’s forgivable because you carry them around and you gotta charge them somewhere anyway) are the future for their brand and they’re done making rolling machines.

They keep making the old stuff because it continues to sell really well and people get anxiety about batteries vs plugging in. But like you can clean a whole apartment with one charge of a V7.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
For some reason I don't trust those little gun vacuums. I feel like they don't have the power that a bigger unit would. Which is probably bullshit but it's something in my idiot consumer brain.

We need a new vacuum pretty badly but for some reason my gut's telling me no on the Costco models and to go with a more traditional upright model.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Renegret posted:

For some reason I don't trust those little gun vacuums. I feel like they don't have the power that a bigger unit would. Which is probably bullshit but it's something in my idiot consumer brain.

We need a new vacuum pretty badly but for some reason my gut's telling me no on the Costco models and to go with a more traditional upright model.

believe me they have enough power

either way it’s hard to get a bad commodity product these days. I still remember when Shark was Euro-Pro and they were making janky-rear end weird unergonomic multi-devices out of strange and inappropriate plastics sold through TV commercials and exclusively Bed Bath + Beyond and now they’re a legit company that makes products that actually get recommendations.

So go with your heart, but also don’t be afraid to make use of Costco’s generous return policy and try something new.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Feb 24, 2021

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Ok Comboomer posted:

believe me they have enough power

They are good but I wouldn't say they have the same power as a barrel vac

They are definitely more convenient, and we use it a hell of a lot more than the barrel vac. However if I take my dc54 around the house immediately after using the V6 it'll pick up a ton of really fine dust that the stick vac didn't.
I assume that the stick vac just doesn't pull air from very deep in the carpet.

Then there is my cheapo ($50) shop-vac that beats the poo poo out of the dc54 for pure suction and getting that annoying sand out of car carpets.

norp fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Feb 24, 2021

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
gun vacuums what

like a dust buster?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

gun vacuums what

like a dust buster?

they also do floors

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

norp posted:

They are good but I wouldn't say they have the same power as a barrel vac

hmm

So the problem we're having is that we have an incredibly deep area rug in the living room. Generally anything that falls into it will get lost forever. No matter how much you vacuum, if you pull apart the fibers and go deep enough you'll eventually find bits of random poo poo down there. It doesn't mix well with having a 2 year old. Cheerios, bits of play dough, stickers, I've found it all.

Then my 2 year old barfed on it. No matter how well we cleaned it, it wouldn't stop smelling like wet moldy Cheez Its. No staining, but it just stunk real bad. So after about 2 weeks of barf carpet we had enough and dumped a ton of baking soda on that spot. Now the barf smell is gone, but the amount of baking soda we vacuumed up clearly didn't match the amount we put down. It looks fine, but when you touch it the fibers are all stiff and you can tell there's still baking soda trapped underneath.

The two things I need to buy are a rug shampooer and a strong vacuum but man I don't even know where to start on both.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Renegret posted:

hmm

So the problem we're having is that we have an incredibly deep area rug in the living room. Generally anything that falls into it will get lost forever. No matter how much you vacuum, if you pull apart the fibers and go deep enough you'll eventually find bits of random poo poo down there. It doesn't mix well with having a 2 year old. Cheerios, bits of play dough, stickers, I've found it all.

Then my 2 year old barfed on it. No matter how well we cleaned it, it wouldn't stop smelling like wet moldy Cheez Its. No staining, but it just stunk real bad. So after about 2 weeks of barf carpet we had enough and dumped a ton of baking soda on that spot. Now the barf smell is gone, but the amount of baking soda we vacuumed up clearly didn't match the amount we put down. It looks fine, but when you touch it the fibers are all stiff and you can tell there's still baking soda trapped underneath.

The two things I need to buy are a rug shampooer and a strong vacuum but man I don't even know where to start on both.

rent a carpet cleaner from a place like Home Depot for an afternoon, bing bong so simple

you just walk in and do it

a lot of the stank damage may have been permanently done now that it’s seeped into the pad for a while tho. To really knock it out you may have to lift the carpet and cut out+replace that chunk of pad

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Barf Carpet is an excellent band name.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Ok Comboomer posted:

rent a carpet cleaner from a place like Home Depot for an afternoon, bing bong so simple

you just walk in and do it

This. We rented a carpet cleaner from Home Depot after our son puked on the carpet, then a couple years later after a big smoothie spill, and will be renting another one this weekend after a poop on the carpet incident yesterday when our 2 year old’s diaper was loose. Depending on how long you have it it’s $25-50.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

It may be worth picking up a Bissel spot vac if you have kids or pets but yeah, don’t waste your money on a full carpet cleaner.

Wet/Dry Vac is a must have though, Rigid brand from HD is the gold standard the the entry model with accessory kit will only set you back $70 or so.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/304006023

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 24, 2021

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

FCKGW posted:

if you have kids or pets but yeah, don’t waste your money on a full carpet cleaner.
Gunna disagree. Have kids and pets and a living room with beige carpeting (there when we moved in) and having a bissell carpet cleaner is a drat lifesaver

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

stealie72 posted:

Gunna disagree. Have kids and pets and a living room with beige carpeting (there when we moved in) and having a bissell carpet cleaner is a drat lifesaver

or you could rent a commercial one once a year

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i have a dyson gun and pets. i like it for the most part. it is powerful enough. its not as powerful as corded dyson unless you put it in max force mode which is comparable but kills the battery in a few min of use.

other thing i dont like is with pets i have to clean the filters very often, and the dust collector fills up and has to be emptied multiple times before i am done cleaning.

they might have better models for pets that dont suffer as much from issues like this

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Look at Mr Fancy over here, only has diarrhea on his carpet once a year.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Ok Comboomer posted:

the ones I see in Home Depot are usually the rug doctor units, are they way better than a bissell? Always wondered how much you’re paying for the brand vs actually a better unit there.

I assume both pale in comparison to having a van come out with pro equipment and chemicals...

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Paul MaudDib posted:

I assume both pale in comparison to having a van come out with pro equipment and chemicals...

We use ours for spots (seriously, so much better than other options) and then full carpet cleaning once a year or so, but yeah, the pro van gets out even more horrible poo poo.

What I've learned from living in a house with wall to wall in high traffic areas: carpet is loving gross.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Devor posted:

Look at Mr Fancy over here, only has diarrhea on his carpet once a year.

I have diarrhea in my pants like an adult, thank you very much

stealie72 posted:

What I've learned from living in a house with wall to wall in high traffic areas: carpet is loving gross.

carpet is a diaper that you put on your floor

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
We’re all in on dyson since our current one has done a great job for like 20 years... but we just bought the v11 torque drive... there’s only one model (outsize) more expensive lol.
I’ll try to remember to post a trip report when it arrives.
e: we looked for it at Costco but they don’t sell it yet. Bought it from Best Buy

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

PerniciousKnid posted:

I didn't buy from Costco but I will say I love my Miele and I think bagless vacuums are crap.

I will Stan for Miele all day.
My vacuum rules. High performance, high quality, repairable, and long lasting. A $600 Miele is going to last 30+ years and be a great vacuum the whole time. No way you get that from a series of cheaper ones.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
We've had a Dyson ball pet vac for years. It's fine, but some of the tiny little rollers on the bottom get dog fur stuck in them and then they don't spin well (or at all). I have to use a utility knife to scrape away at the fur to get them to move at all. But then I vacuum again and then they are gunked up again.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

GI_Clutch posted:

We've had a Dyson ball pet vac for years. It's fine, but some of the tiny little rollers on the bottom get dog fur stuck in them and then they don't spin well (or at all). I have to use a utility knife to scrape away at the fur to get them to move at all. But then I vacuum again and then they are gunked up again.

Ugh the amount of hair that gets wrapped around the beater of our Kirby drives me crazy. I need a combined vacuum trimmer like a flowbee for floors.

And a waterproof one for the shower drain.

Goofball
Apr 4, 2019

Paul MaudDib posted:

the ones I see in Home Depot are usually the rug doctor units, are they way better than a bissell? Always wondered how much you’re paying for the brand vs actually a better unit there.

Highly recommend renting a bissell from lowes instead of a rug doctor from home depot. The power roller brushes and used water extraction on the bissell perform way better than any of the rug doctors I've ever rented.

Having a van come out is the best option, but is definitely going to run you a premium over a 24/48h do-it-yourself rental.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

namlosh posted:

We’re all in on dyson since our current one has done a great job for like 20 years... but we just bought the v11 torque drive... there’s only one model (outsize) more expensive lol.
I’ll try to remember to post a trip report when it arrives.
e: we looked for it at Costco but they don’t sell it yet. Bought it from Best Buy

Curious to hear about this, I just saw one at my local costco and it looks like it is online too (.ca). We have an older handheld dyson but the pet fur jams up the rollers pretty fast, need the rubber type things the roombas have!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Goofball posted:

Highly recommend renting a bissell from lowes instead of a rug doctor from home depot. The power roller brushes and used water extraction on the bissell perform way better than any of the rug doctors I've ever rented.

Having a van come out is the best option, but is definitely going to run you a premium over a 24/48h do-it-yourself rental.

Huh, looks like Petsmart rents out the Little Green spot removers too.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

StormDrain posted:

Ugh the amount of hair that gets wrapped around the beater of our Kirby drives me crazy. I need a combined vacuum trimmer like a flowbee for floors.

And a waterproof one for the shower drain.

We don’t have (hairy) pets, but I have a teenage daughter. It’s a shocking amount of hair, but luckily it’s all a foot long or more and cuts off the roller really quickly. Our washing machine makes hair balls and hides them in my pockets. That’s another matter entirely.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

fischtick posted:

We don’t have (hairy) pets, but I have a teenage daughter. It’s a shocking amount of hair, but luckily it’s all a foot long or more and cuts off the roller really quickly. Our washing machine makes hair balls and hides them in my pockets. That’s another matter entirely.

how much extra allowance would you pay her to cut it?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Don't use a spot remover in a rented property. I did so and when I moved out they charged me for a carpet replacement due to weird spots on floors. This is after I had a similar problem elsewhere, so I said to this place "I'll get it steam cleaned before I move out" and they said "no, we will, for free" and then they didn't and charged me for having done spot cleaning, lol.

In my defense, I was new in the USA and didn't know how much people love to extract every last cent from you / how hosed up consumer protection laws are here (nonexistent apart from credit card fraud stuff)

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

redreader posted:

In my defense, I was new in the USA

Lol

Welcome to the free market

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Getting the carpets cleaned is usually in your lease, they don't want you doing it yourself cause generally people suck at it and gently caress up their carpets. You should check your copy of the lease to see if they were supposed to charge you for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Ok Comboomer posted:

how much extra allowance would you pay her to cut it?

She used to keep it in an adorable little bob, but that was like 12 years ago. Not sure it would work on her now.

In other hair news, I've been dipping into the Kirkland shampoo and conditioner now that I have COVID-length hair. It's really, really good! It's the giant purple (shampoo) and white (conditioner) bottles with the pumps on top. The shampoo might be bog standard, but there's some magic in the conditioner that makes my mop of hair feel downright luxurious.