Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Free hbag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

with purchase of one (1) good post

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

It's a shame some of the newer folks haven't faced the wrath of NBSD In the linux thread.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

https://twitter.com/0x30n/status/1362592846633705474?s=19

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Linux nerds itt proving the strength of their social skills once again

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

That's why I started disabling the yospos stylesheet. You wouldn't think that green text on a black background would be that noteworthy but :shrug:.

I disable it on my work computer, so that I can shitpost without drawing sideeye from people walking by. Home computer keeps it real tho

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Poopernickel posted:

I disable it on my work computer, so that I can shitpost without drawing sideeye from people walking by. Home computer keeps it real tho

i will allow this

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

DoomTrainPhD posted:

what have you had to build that isn’t in rpm fusion or the stock repos?

My prefered video mplayer front end. Baka Mplayer

I also had to add snap to get my email client mailspring. Not a manual build though.

Microsoft Teams also required me to add Microsoft's repo to my repo list since it was not available in any of the the default ones. Though I guess I could have installed it as a flatpak through flathub, though the default flatpak repo also didn't include it.

Nothing like game breaking or anything (though grandma type user would have just been poo poo out of luck on getting these apps).

On arch they were all available in the AUR or default repos.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
have you tried vlc?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

mycophobia posted:

have you tried vlc?

Yeah, it's fine as well. I just prefer the UI for Baka Mplayer. Both are acceptable.

Edit: I'm not making GBS threads on Fedora though. I'm actually liking it. And it's not dropping core dumps on me all the time like arch was. Only app that has crashed (and boy does it love crashing) so far has been DNF Dragora.

Though I am using Gnome in Fedora rather than KDE in Manjaro and the other Arch derivatives that I've tried. So part of the problem might have been that.

Lamenting the inconvenience of having to add a couple of repos and git clone one app is nothing compared to it not crashing.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 19, 2021

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Nitrousoxide posted:

For me personally, it's the fact that it crashes about 50% of the time it is opened, or fails to pull the package lists from the repos its been assigned.

That's absolutely hilarious. All they had to do was write a gtk front end for dnf, and it barely even works. There's some kind of poetry in there.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

to be fair have ever tried to actually use gtk?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
GNUstep shoulda gotten that effort instead

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

eschaton posted:

GNUstep shoulda gotten that effort instead

unironically

i'd probably still be using wmaker if it wasn't so janky with some modern apps lol

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I’m sorry to report that linux audio works on mars https://twitter.com/James7Holland/status/1362814591940648960

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

MononcQc posted:

I’m sorry to report that linux audio works on mars https://twitter.com/James7Holland/status/1362814591940648960

https://twitter.com/hankgreen/status/1362821489565687811?s=20

mystes
May 31, 2006

Linux audio now works so well that even videos without audio have audio.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

ah, must have mixed up the streams with ALSA

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

MononcQc posted:

ah, must have mixed up the streams with ALSA

apache libre space administration

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Oh cool, I got Dracut working in cross-compiled environments. Now I can auto-generate initramfs images for embedded devices without building another filing system dedicated to the initramfs. I need to test the rest of their modules to ensure that they are also cross-compile compatible, cleanup the makefile logic and patches, and submit some of the patches upstream, but it was a fun personal project.

https://github.com/retroroot-linux/retroroot/tree/develop/retroroot/package/dracut

https://github.com/retroroot-linux/retroroot/tree/develop/retroroot/fs/dracut

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 22, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

2021: The year of Linux on the desktop Mars

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

hbag posted:

on one hand, a [green/amber take your pick] on black terminal is easier on the eyes than white on black, but on the other hand i dont want to get laughed at for making my poo poo look like im trying too hard to be a L33T H@X0R

just use a solarized theme op

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

hbag posted:

being called a rereg isnt getting to me, being told to lurk more when from my perspective im posting the same as everyone else is whats getting to me

people are telling you to lurk more because they want you to stop posting because your posts are bad, hth

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

and i know a thing or two about bad posting

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Gentle Autist posted:

people are telling you to lurk more because they want you to stop posting because your posts are bad, hth

i thought you were supposed to be gentle

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

infernal machines posted:

i thought you were supposed to be gentle

He's gentle with model trains, not people OP.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

good thing that mars rover doesn't have a speaker, so there's no need to play audio

and the mic seems to work

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Can't wait for the rover to crash when it tries to update pipewire from the repo

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
what’s a retroroot

I thought NetBSD was the retro root

like it still runs on VAX, just like BSD has since time immemorial

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

eschaton posted:

what’s a retroroot

I thought NetBSD was the retro root

like it still runs on VAX, just like BSD has since time immemorial

Just a dumb side project I am working on to make a small embedded distribution that runs retro arch.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

ah, OK

here I was thinking it was a form that would still support i386 and Itanium and all the other architectures that have been dropped

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

was sat in the irc and got told i am a fool and a charlatan for using mint so im gonna think about moving to debian when i wake up from my nap

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

it really doesn't matter what you use if you're just learning Linux unless you have a specific goal in mind

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

using Gentoo to learn linux is like jumping in the deep end from a fifty foot diving board though

wading in from the shallow end is using Ubuntu

or you can use chromebook and stay in the jacuzzi

how far can this metaphor go

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

sb hermit posted:

using Gentoo to learn linux is like jumping in the deep end from a fifty foot diving board though

wading in from the shallow end is using Ubuntu

or you can use chromebook and stay in the jacuzzi

how far can this metaphor go

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Linux from Scratch R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Quite far, actually.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

wsl is like floating in the dead sea and thinking you learnt to swim

nixos is like jumping out of the intl space station in a bathing suit because space is the new ocean, maaaaan

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Using Mint is dumb though. Everything I've seen from that distro is amateur-hour bullshit. It's also downstream of Ubuntu, which is downstream of Debian, so you get some serious distro centipede bullshit on top.

OpenSuse, Fedora, mayyybe Ubuntu if you have a desktop and don't want to deal with dumb stuff all the time. Debian if you want dependable two years of peace and quiet between upheaval, Gentoo if you are a mad person.

code:
ag@rizensun ~ $ uname -r
5.11.0-gentoo-x86_64
:v:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

pretty unclear what "learning linux" even means anymore. at one point you could do like linux from scratch and write all your own init scripts and whatnot, and more or less this work had a direct relationship to what professional sysadmins often needed to know (because these were dark times).

now though the professional work is mostly container juggling and while linux has tuning knobs it is ideally an opaque appliance. if anything wsl is kind of representative in that you get a pretuned core (kernel, init, libraries) from the virtualization vendor, and are pretty unlikely want to mess with it much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
I'm sure there's a thread for it, but what's the current state of the art for container juggling anyway?

I've been off in an embedded world for ages, where it hasn't been too necessary to track things like that but now and then I come up for air.