Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

i would never lie about rohan kishibe using his stand on a piece of fried chicken

so they found avdol's arm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Would the Rohan episodes be okay to watch with a newbie?

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Would the Rohan episodes be okay to watch with a newbie?

I watched it with someone who had seen like... some episodes from phantom blood? And the explanation "this dude can read people like a book and write in them" is pretty much all you need to fully enjoy it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

junan_paalla posted:

I watched it with someone who had seen like... some episodes from phantom blood? And the explanation "this dude can read people like a book and write in them" is pretty much all you need to fully enjoy it.

I did the exact same and it worked the same way. Just tell people it's Black Mirror/Twilight Zone/whatever starring a dude that can read things and people like books and rewrite things.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's more Twilight Zone/Night Gallery and it's ilk than Black Mirror, but I get it. You don't need much Jojo knowledge to watch it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Holy poo poo at The Run. Are there any more episodes coming out past the initial 4 or was this a one and done?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

MiddleOne posted:

Holy poo poo at The Run. Are there any more episodes coming out past the initial 4 or was this a one and done?

The initial 4 are the only ones that have been animated, but they've been released somewhat far apart do I wouldn't count out getting more.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Glagha posted:

The initial 4 are the only ones that have been animated, but they've been released somewhat far apart do I wouldn't count out getting more.

DavidPro just kinda put these out as bonuses with blu-ray releases didn't they?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy_EA-0Wh-U

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
There's also a new chapter of the fan-made JoJo motion comic Blood Sun Vendetta. It should be spoiler-free since it's set in 1999, which puts it roughly parallel to Part 4 on the timeline; and the quality is certainly impressive so far.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I thought you were kidding. :psyduck:

I wish I could use Heaven's Door.

Once again heaven's door limitations are whatever the gently caress Araki wants them to be. I thought heaven's door didn't work if you closed your eyes but you can use them on a chicken drumstick? :psyduck:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
That was only when Heaven's Door required you to look at a page of manga Rohan drew. Once HD became a little boy in a suit he just had to touch you

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Monaghan posted:

Once again heaven's door limitations are whatever the gently caress Araki wants them to be. I thought heaven's door didn't work if you closed your eyes but you can use them on a chicken drumstick? :psyduck:

Well, are his eyes closed in that page?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Okay but he can use it on inanimate objects?

Seriously with being able to make someone learn a language by just writing " Koichi knows italian" and now this, Heaven's door is up there with star platinum and gold experience requiem.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Heaven's Door seems to become stronger the more artistic inspiration Rohan finds or something.

Soon he'll be able to use Heaven's Door to allow himself to write the JJBA manga, and then he'll be truly unstoppable.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

We missed the arc where Rohan got hit with the arrow again and collected all the dragon balls and his Stand evolved to Heaven's Door Over Heaven

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

That was only when Heaven's Door required you to look at a page of manga Rohan drew. Once HD became a little boy in a suit he just had to touch you

Technically he is just drawing the little boy in a suit really quickly

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

multijoe posted:

We missed the arc where Rohan got hit with the arrow again and collected all the dragon balls and his Stand evolved to Heaven's Door Over Heaven

Wouldn’t Knock knock knocking on son of a bitch I just got that.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
idk why i never looked for this thread before when I was rewatching part 1 - 4 last year. this is my favorite tv show, its just so gloriously garbage and somehow incredible at the same time, and I always pitch it to people like it's a dnd campaign gone off the rails, especially part 3. how many plane crashes do they get into in that part?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Three, as I recall. Granted, one was a helicopter crash and Joseph wasn't driving.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Four if you count that submarine, the plane of the sea.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Didn’t the monkey boat crash? Does that count?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's a debate as to whether it counts more as a monkey's stand or a boat and in my paper titled 'the ship of rheseus' i will explore this dilemma, and furthermore,

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I also find this is the absolutely most perfect show to half-watch while doing something else because everyone explains what's happening like THREE loving times to each other. And all the weird poo poo that Araki was clearly obsessed with at the moment he was writing it just getting thrown in excruciating detail. Fantastic.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Not sure if it helps but that kind of thing fades into the background after a while, to the point that in later eps I had to pause and figure out the logic behind wtf just happened.

It's pretty bad in Blood Tendency for sure. At one point in the chariot race with Wamuu you had:
- the vampires commentating
- Lisa Lisa explaining JoJo's moves
- Kars explaining Wamuu's moves
- JoJo explaining his move
- Wamuu explaining why JoJo's move sucked

and it goes on like this for nearly two episodes.

Makes me wonder if Kars cheating during his fight with Lisa Lisa was just bc Araki got tired of explaining poo poo

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I think you're right, I think it does get better as the show goes, but even at its best you have at least one person being like "here's what's happening or why," but maybe I'm misremembering.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I imagine Araki writing in real time and every time someone explains a fight it's because his editor is staring directly at him, holding the latest Shonen Jump and saying "okay but what the gently caress is happening".

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

YggiDee posted:

I imagine Araki writing in real time and every time someone explains a fight it's because his editor is staring directly at him, holding the latest Shonen Jump and saying "okay but what the gently caress is happening".

same tbh

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Warbird posted:

Didn’t the monkey boat crash? Does that count?

We do not talk about the orangutan.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Kwyndig posted:

We do not talk about the orangutan.

I guess Araki really is the Edgar Allen Poe of our generation

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

star eater posted:

I think you're right, I think it does get better as the show goes, but even at its best you have at least one person being like "here's what's happening or why," but maybe I'm misremembering.

Usually you have at least one explanation per fight to help the viewer understand exactly what weird bullshit a stand is doing because sometimes stands can get really obtuse, yeah. It almost never devolves into the almost literal play by play of parts of Battle Tendency, though.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Nothing will ever top Thunder Cross Split Attack’s explanation

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Regalingualius posted:

Nothing will ever top Thunder Cross Split Attack’s explanation

It's the perfect stratagem!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

My favorite thing about Dire is that his ultimate super move was actually less effective than him just spitting at Dio.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The tragedy of Dire is just how prepared everybody came and how as far as he knew he really was fighting to avenge his friend and he'd have been a major character if it were a manga following William's life instead, but instead he just shows up, does his trademark move, and fuckin eats it

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Alt timeline where Straizo dies instead and Joseph has to fight Dire.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

the odds of them announcing it at that Anime event seems like yet another ":lol: you rubes thought we'd announce an anime for the next part in the most likely, logical place where we'd get the most amount of Press attention! gently caress you we're announcing it at some random art gallery event again!1!1!1:smug:" type of gotcha

David Pro be like that sometimes:v:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

How do you do a slow aerial kick anyway

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Use both legs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Mr. Lobe posted:

How do you do a slow aerial kick anyway

Tonpetti trained Dire wrong. As a joke.